Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why does superman fight a LotR orc in this lovely batman v superman movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Have another Night of the Living Dead edit - this time I intercut it with two Edison Studios comedies: The Watermelon Patch and Laughing Gas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zNLUnJNISg

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Egbert Souse posted:

Not only better, it's a great film on its own. I like how it's basically a western, except with Greek mythology stuff.

Yeah. And then Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes do a combined Dragonball move on a giant fire person.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Because it represent his own failure to actually help the poor and helpless, instead being a mix between "feel good" moment generator and an ersatz rescue service.

Or you can indulge in the fantasy that Zack Snyder enjoys your pain, in which case he did it to be stupid cuz he's stupid. Your choice, really. I know what the internet at large thinks at this point.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Oi, this thing has He Never Died! See you in 97 minutes, people.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Anonymous Robot posted:

Watching boyhood currently and so far my takeaway is that no matter what happens, no matter where you go or how things change, dragonball z will be there for u

This is a proper life lesson. Goku died for our sins and was also a really absent father

I watched VHS 2 last night and Safe Haven is super dope, as is Slumber Party Alien Abduction and the fact that the frame ends as a stupid comedy. The first two are just wet farts though.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

RandallODim posted:

I watched VHS 2 last night and Safe Haven is super dope, as is Slumber Party Alien Abduction and the fact that the frame ends as a stupid comedy. The first two are just wet farts though.

gently caress you, the GoPro zombie short was brilliant and at least as good as "Safe Haven."

But, yeah, the first one about the cyber-eye was garbo.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Last of 2016: Out of Sight (rewatch) or Fences if it's the last thing I hadn't seen before - really happy with either of those as a close-out.
First of 2017: Midnight Special which was really underwhelming.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yojimbo is so good. My first movie was a terrible David Blaine special that someone at the party put on. He poked an icepick through his arm multiple times and it was extremely gross.

That special thoroughly rules. David Blaine pushing an icepick through his arm and giggling to punish Ricky Gervais for not reacting more to him sticking the card on the ceiling was sublime.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

GoPro zombie is an absolutely incredible group viewing experience if there's at least one person who didn't know the gimmick of the short going in. I watched all of the V/H/S movies blind with the same group of friends and we all realized what was going to happen at the exact same time, it was great.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

"Chumbawamba was a great anarcho-punk band!" is this year's "Mario 2 was called Doki Doki Panic in Japan!"

What you mean it's a correct statement that only people who actually are invested in the thing give a poo poo about

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Hellbunny posted:

Because it represent his own failure to actually help the poor and helpless, instead being a mix between "feel good" moment generator and an ersatz rescue service.

I would say the people he actually rescues in those movies would not consider their rescues ersatz.

Like he arguably isn't doing as much good as he could but I don't think the film ever makes a case that he's bad. It's more a test of just how much he's willing to really sacrifice- to Batman and others, an invulnerable godlike alien swooping in and rescuing people is not proof of said alien being unimpeachably good, because it's not like he's really risking it all. And throughout the film Superman has that doubt as well- is he doing all that he can.

(I didn't think it was a terribly good movie either, though. Once again the script is too busy and gets in the way of the major emotional/thematic thrusts- though in fairness this is based on the theatrical cut since that's the one Netflix delivered.)

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

K. Waste posted:

gently caress you, the GoPro zombie short was brilliant and at least as good as "Safe Haven."

But, yeah, the first one about the cyber-eye was garbo.

GoPro Zombie just didn't do anything for me. It wasn't actively lame like ghost cybernetics, which squandered a solid premise, but it just didn't feel like it did anything especially unique in any meaningful sense. I think I just wish that the tone of comedy horror to 'zombie learns he can't eat a wallet' was the more predominant element, though that might be just because the ending leans way hard into pathos in a way that didn't work at all for me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
last movie of 2016 for me was Mad Max: Fury Road for the 4th (5th?) viewing. watched it new years eve with the surround sound cranked. i have the sub woofer behind my couch, so the engine rumbles actually rumbled the couch. it was dope.

Hoping first movie of the year is going to be Predator.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Slumber Party Alien Abduction was one of the best films of that year and the rest of them were lame-o.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

RandallODim posted:

GoPro Zombie just didn't do anything for me. It wasn't actively lame like ghost cybernetics, which squandered a solid premise, but it just didn't feel like it did anything especially unique in any meaningful sense. I think I just wish that the tone of comedy horror to 'zombie learns he can't eat a wallet' was the more predominant element, though that might be just because the ending leans way hard into pathos in a way that didn't work at all for me.

I don't think it's a hard lean at all. The film plays very interestingly with the conventions of 'point-of-view,' underscoring how the GoPro gives us the illusion that we're taking in a 'subjective experience,' but one which is functionally always 'above' the action, and which isn't influenced by external stimuli at the interpersonal level which a 'subjective' should communicate. "A Ride in the Park" is an objective account from the perspective of the videodrome, revealing symbolically that the 'undead' are really just 'sick people.' It's also the only short which explicitly parallels the frame narrative, both prominently featuring themes of isolation (this time domesticity rather than open nature), suicide, degeneration of 'traditional family values.'

"Safe Haven" and "Slumber Party Alien Abduction" are both solid, solid shorts, but "A Ride in the Park" has just as much going on underneath the hood.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I reckon you could make one really great movie out of all the VHSes

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Coffee And Pie posted:

They apparently made "Amateur Night" into a feature-length spin-off, which will probably still be better than Viral.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Coffee And Pie posted:

yeah it's called vhs 1 and 2 back to back duh

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Let's all work to pursue our dreams in the New Year. Never one to give up, I have decided to submit a follow-up application to Candy.com. My last resume may have been a little too boastful, so I've decided to turn it down a few notches and focus upon communicating my experience with humility and frank honesty.

http://tinyurl.com/zsnq9r4

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

yeah it's called vhs 1 and 2 back to back duh

Bonerstorm tho

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Maria Clark's hairdo montage set to Kiss From A Rose is my favorite thing ever.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Slugworth posted:

Maria Clark's hairdo montage set to Kiss From A Rose is my favorite thing ever.

It's great. I'd go with an episode ending with Mark Fuhrman polishing his Nazi medals, but that one's close.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Last: Pink Flamingos
First: Black Snake Moan

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Is Tampopo worth a trip in town to see?

Absolutely.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Let's all work to pursue our dreams in the New Year. Never one to give up, I have decided to submit a follow-up application to Candy.com. My last resume may have been a little too boastful, so I've decided to turn it down a few notches and focus upon communicating my experience with humility and frank honesty.

http://tinyurl.com/zsnq9r4

This is good and funny. I would hire you if I were Candy.com.

As for dreams I am going to either go to film school or make at least one short film per month for each month of the year*. The second choice has the upside of being cheaper but the downside of me having to still do almost all the work myself and only having access to entry level equipment.

*After I finish my current project of a found footage comedy series about potato chips that starts out like a vlog and slowly morphs into a conspiracy thriller after the protagonist is kidnapped by Doritos extremists. We've already finished filming the first 7 episodes and then the show will take a short hiatus while we film the final three since those require sets other than my apartment, a whole bunch of actors, special effects and by extension a shitload of planning.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

Doritos extremists
Welp, thanks for making me think of this again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flWuvkNWuS4&t=88s

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

FreudianSlippers posted:

This is good and funny. I would hire you if I were Candy.com.

As for dreams I am going to either go to film school or make at least one short film per month for each month of the year*. The second choice has the upside of being cheaper but the downside of me having to still do almost all the work myself and only having access to entry level equipment.

*After I finish my current project of a found footage comedy series about potato chips that starts out like a vlog and slowly morphs into a conspiracy thriller after the protagonist is kidnapped by Doritos extremists. We've already finished filming the first 7 episodes and then the show will take a short hiatus while we film the final three since those require sets other than my apartment, a whole bunch of actors, special effects and by extension a shitload of planning.

No poo poo? I once wrote up a short script for a commercial for my friend for the Doritos super bowl competition that modeled itself on ISIS videos and followed a guerilla campaign to demand the release of Doritos 3D.

edit: He also had a great idea for a cyberpunk dystopia commercial that took place in a red-neon lit factory where nacho cheese Doritos were being manufactured, and an old man monologued about the time in the past when people had the freedom to choose, only to be cut off by a punk with a neon red mohawk telling him that nobody wanted to hear his stories, and to shut up and eat his do-rashions like everybody else.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
im going to record a series of short 15 minute podcasts every day on my cell phone's microphone as i drive to/from work, discussing whatever weird british comics mag i've read that day

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

The actor who plays Robbie Rotten has a pretty serious form of cancer. :(

The We Are Number One meme actually helped raise a shitload of money for his treatments, though, so that's rad.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Great minds think alike. We actually contracted Doritos, or the franchise owners in Iceland, and got them to agree to give us a Doritos flag to hang in the background of our hostage/torture video in which the main character is waterboarded with Mountain Dew, has teeth pulled out and is forced violently to eat Nacho Cheese Doritos even if he thinks they are only mediocre. For some reason they bailed out at the last minute.

The funny thing is that this series started out because we wanted to do something that was very fast and ultra-cheap since our last project sort of fell through , at least temporarily, but when we actually got into planning and writing the series it became a lot bigger and changed genres near the end.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Lmao at Michael Rapaport going off about Chapo Trap House

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Lmao at Michael Rapaport going off about Chapo Trap House

It's amazing to find out he's literally his character from Bamboozled.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

First screening of 2017: Green Room
(Thanks, axleblaze)

Holy poo poo is that movie intense. My hands were shaking by the end of the film.

(Also, Nazi Punks gently caress Off)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

comics own

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Hey, maybe I'll start posting after mostly lurking for like, the last two chat threads.

I do have a lot of free time after a mental breakdown failed me out of film school and made me move from Chicago back to poo poo hole suburban Virginia!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The 80s were a hell of a time to read comics, it seems.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
A Ride in the Park had a cool and good gimmick, and it hit a note that otherwise bugs me in zombie films. A zombie waking up to being eaten and has to stop himself from being eaten by other zombies (and stop himself from eating himself) is fun to see, since you usually don't. Plus, the ending was :unsmith:.

Slumber Party Alien Abduction wasn't deep, but I loved the wall-of-sound-and-light-as-a-corraling gimmick.

Safe Haven was one that never worked for me. It's been forever and a day since I've watched it, but I remember not liking that once poo poo hit the fan, it was creepy thing in creepy room, repeat a few times. And that ending, hah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Ugh fìiiiiiiiiine *rolls eyes*

Greetings

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I think I'm finally okay with retiring from SA :shobon: I don't feel like I get much out of it like I used to, and I'd rather work or go to shows or go to movies or play video games or sleep or eat food or whatever than spend all my time posting here.

But you kids have fun! :love:

Goodbye

broken sm57 posted:

Last movie of 2016: the astronaut farmer

First of 2017: snow dogs

Things can only get better

Greetings

Sup

Shoombo posted:

Hey, maybe I'll start posting after mostly lurking for like, the last two chat threads.

Greetings

• Locked thread