Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Sharlto Copley isn't in it much? There are literally multiple Sharlto Copleys.
OK, he's not in it much but he's definitely in it many. And he is, again, literally the only good part of that entire ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What movie/episode was the one where Andrew goes if you can find orcs in <movie> I'll loving go down on you and Eric Szyszka gets all flustered

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Calaveron posted:

What movie/episode was the one where Andrew goes if you can find orcs in <movie> I'll loving go down on you and Eric Szyszka gets all flustered

Dungeons & Dragons, I believe.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I kind of hope it's Solace, starring Anthony Hopkins and Colin Farrell. Finished in 2014, it sat on the shelf for two years before being released at the tail-end of 2016. The crazy part was that it was originally going to be a sequel to Se7en.

But the more I think about it/obsess over a comedy podcast, the more I think it's going to be Collateral Beauty. It sounds more batshit than I could possibly believe.

Also: Suicide Squad. They've talked about it so much they have to do it/are planning on doing it. Just expect plenty of "It's okay to like a movie" throw-ins. Having watched it for the first time a couple of nights ago, I want them to tear it apart with the fury of a million suns.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Can you really say the crew is biased against Snyder? It's not like the vast majority of his output hasn't been extremely polarizing, to put it lightly.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I think it's silly to say anyone is biased against Snyder, but people do engage in a lot of "worst. movie. ever." hyperbole with him. I think it's silly to rank any of his films as the worst movies of whatever year they came out in
Like I don't think BvS or Man of Steel were good, but I don't think the Marvel movies are very good either and it baffles me when people act like By the Numbers Generic Marvel Film Number #28 is like...significantly better than whatever he's done.

But again I don't like comic book movies at all to begin with so I'm clearly not the audience.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

dijon du jour posted:

Dungeons & Dragons, I believe.

Also, "if you can [thing] then I'll go down on you" is a reference to Sir Orson Welles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol5RpDEzLzY

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Anyway everybody knows the best superhero movie was Darkman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbdeAhpIPhE

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Someone please put together a supercut of the Cinemax guy cause holy poo poo it's funny.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Holy gently caress, I forgotten how insane and great that movie was. That whole sequence is peak Sam Raimi.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I saw that in theaters but didn't even know Sam Raimi was responsible for in until a few years ago. I'm also shocked that it never got any bad DTV sequels because it was a pretty decent sleeper hit.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It did get some crappy sequels but I dunno if they were DTV though. There was also a failed tv pilot
Oh yea they were DTV "Darkman II: The Return of Durant is a 1995 American superhero action film directed by Bradford May. It is a direct-to-video sequel of Darkman. Series creator Sam Raimi serves as executive producer. It is followed by a further sequel, Darkman III: Die Darkman Die."

I love Darkman it's seriously the best and he's way better than BATMAN. Liam Neeson, that weird Raimi charm, a nail gun battle, Bruce Campbell cameo you really can't ask for more

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh poo poo, you're right, because how could I forget "Die Darkman Die"? What a great title for a really lame movie.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Arnold Vosloo was a pretty good Darkman, to be fair. I have a soft spot for the sequel. Never saw the third one, though.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Jimbot posted:

Holy gently caress, I forgotten how insane and great that movie was. That whole sequence is peak Sam Raimi.

This movie and Robocop were ones that we watched when I was 10 and our reaction was basically nerdy voice "OH MAN THIS IS SCHWEET". Revisiting them years later after remembering them solely as unironic kick-rear end action movies was priceless.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ror posted:

What's so bad about it? It doesn't look great and I'm sure the perspective gets old fast, but I hadn't heard anything scathing.

TetsuoTW posted:

Partly it barely has a plot, partly the entirety of the "film", from the perspective gimmick through the performances and literally everything except the length, feels like someone released a mediocre simulator ride video as a movie by accident. It's like watching someone do a longplay of a lovely Mirror 's Edge knockoff. There's only one good thing about that whole film and it's Sharlto Copley, and he's not even in it much.

Pretty much nailed it, yeah. Also, there's one particular joke out of one of the Copleys that kinda turned me against the movie even more, on top of that, and I'm pretty sure said joke would make the WHM gang have a loving conniption fit given their usual reactions to misogyny.

And I mean come on, if they can get an episode out of loving The Santa Clause 3 by padding it out with griping about Tim Allen's continued existence, they could work something out for Hardcore Henry.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I feel they harp on things for way too long. Andrew especially. He just comes off as angry all the time. When I get to this point I take a break though so it could just be from listening to the podcast so much.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I knew it would be this scene. Raimi at his Raimiest. I love this movie

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Squallege posted:

Sometimes I feel they harp on things for way too long. Andrew especially. He just comes off as angry all the time. When I get to this point I take a break though so it could just be from listening to the podcast so much.

well at least your point didn't have a MARY SUE!

(preview of all my post for the new few weeks.)

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Pretty much nailed it, yeah. Also, there's one particular joke out of one of the Copleys that kinda turned me against the movie even more, on top of that, and I'm pretty sure said joke would make the WHM gang have a loving conniption fit given their usual reactions to misogyny.

And I mean come on, if they can get an episode out of loving The Santa Clause 3 by padding it out with griping about Tim Allen's continued existence, they could work something out for Hardcore Henry.

The misogyny is weird but a lot of it comes from the amazing villain who looks and sounds like an evil albino telekinetic Tommy Wiseau.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

an evil albino telekinetic Tommy Wiseau.
Now THAT is some nightmare fuel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jimbot posted:

Arnold Vosloo was a pretty good Darkman, to be fair. I have a soft spot for the sequel. Never saw the third one, though.

I wonder where they found him, because he always seemed like a less goofy Billy Zane to me.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
It's Collateral Beauty.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Anyone remember where the "we're going to hell tonight!!!" quote comes from?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
WIll alpha dog be a movie they will review? it don't know if it good or not but from the previews i remember it would be some good reviewing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cyron posted:

WIll alpha dog be a movie they will review? it don't know if it good or not but from the previews i remember it would be some good reviewing.

It would be uncomfortable as gently caress due to it being all a true crime film

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

bobkatt013 posted:

It would be uncomfortable as gently caress due to it being all a true crime film

that did not know, nevermind then.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Squallege posted:

Weird, I would have called Cabin as the "angry all the time" one (still funny, just angry-funny a lot of the time) (fangry?)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cyron posted:

Plus Anton Yelchin

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Speaking dead actors, is Anton Yelchin gonna get Farina-d at the Oscars? I mean, the list of 2016 celebrity deaths is quite long.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cyron posted:

It's also a pretty good movie. Depressing, but good.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

davidHalestorm posted:

Speaking dead actors, is Anton Yelchin gonna get Farina-d at the Oscars? I mean, the list of 2016 celebrity deaths is quite long.
Nah, Yelchin's got that JJ connection. Burt Kwouk is gonna get left off though, for sure.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
does will smith have some kind of scam going where he has to star in at least one insipid, lovely movie a year

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
How else is he going to purge his Thetans and achieve OT Level VIII?

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

Nah, Yelchin's got that JJ connection. Burt Kwouk is gonna get left off though, for sure.

poo poo, that's pretty obscure, yeah that one for sure. I was thinking more of along the line who''s the biggest name that's going to be left out. And I can't believe Collector Beauty is an actual movie, I want to see it just because of the cast list alone but that plot though, yikes.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Squallege posted:

I think they edge on it very rarely but overall, I would say the tone of We Hate Movies is the most forgiving towards bad movies in general. Most of the time I feel like Andrew is just venting over pet peeves of movies and poor directing/scripting/acting. I sympathize because he must watch a ton of stuff and he has to spend a lot of time thinking about this stuff.

[gush]
Honestly We Hate Movies has been the most consistently awesome for me and it the one I re-download the catalog and listen to pretty frequently. Maybe I just burned out so badly on Flophouse that I'm super forgiving. That and how progressive they are and unafraid to call poo poo out is really important to me. Like a lot of other podcasts I listen to that aren't expressly liberal just tiptoe around it, and it makes me so happy to see four average dudes being not terrible.
So I finally started catching up on all the Patreon stuff and omg, I love it. I love in the beginning when they started going very blue and both apologizing/defending it. I didn't think I would like the Nexus as much as I do, and the SooS has been very interesting and fun to listen to. So glad they started doing it :allears:
[/gush]

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

does will smith have some kind of scam going where he has to star in at least one insipid, lovely movie a year

He's been on a downward spiral ever since After Earth. I believe someone posted an AV Club article discussing it, but he went from being Hollywood's most bankable star to just a dude appearing in bad movies. It's hard to overstate how badly After Earth (and the various public antics of his two idiot children) cut the throat of his career.

Gonz posted:

How else is he going to purge his Thetans and achieve OT Level VIII?

If the interviews with Jaden Smith are any indication, Will's into far more traditional wackadoodle nonsense like pranic energy.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 3, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vermain posted:

He's been on a downward spiral ever since After Earth. I believe someone posted an AV Club article discussing it, but he went from being Hollywood's most bankable star to just a dude appearing in bad movies. It's hard to overstate how badly After Earth (and the various public antics of his two idiot children) cut the throat of his career.

Completely disagree, since Seven Pounds came out five years before After Earth. Men in Black 3 was actually his comeback after not being in anything for about that length of time.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Looking through it Will Smith's filmography is more of a bummer then I'd assumed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
At least we'll always have Six Degrees of Separation
Maybe he thought seven pounds was the sequel