Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Another thing I like about LBW: the Hyrule Field music changing to something even more triumphant once you get the Master Sword was pretty great. It makes coming back to Hyrule from Lorule feel like coming up for air or going outside after being inside for way too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I bought Okami on PS3 because I heard (on these forums) that it was like a super-Japanese Zelda and I just couldn't get past the first sequence, total playtime seemed 45 minutes. The text speed seemed painful and the art style just immediately seemed soooooo dated.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bust Rodd posted:

I bought Okami on PS3 because I heard (on these forums) that it was like a super-Japanese Zelda and I just couldn't get past the first sequence, total playtime seemed 45 minutes. The text speed seemed painful and the art style just immediately seemed soooooo dated.

Of course it's dated, it's based on old Japanese art styles :v:.

Cel Shading is actually better than realistic graphics, tech-wise, as it tends to stay prettier than trying for realism with rapidly-outdated renderers.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Bust Rodd posted:

Playtime 45 minutes? You mean that's how long you lasted?

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
i tried playing okami recently and they're not exaggerating. the intro sequence is literally 45 minutes long. it's why i can't see myself replaying it anytime soon.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I played LTTP at launch and thought it was great. When I played the entire series, start to finish, it struck me as not good. Even though it was a console game, it is basically a handheld game now. It's the same style as all the handhelds. In comparison to the other handhelds, the only ones that are worse are the DS ones. LTTP is a bottom 5 Zelda game.

Bottom 5, from worst to best:

SS
PH
ST
Zelda1
LTTP

Top 5:
WW
LBW
MM
LA
OoT

But that's just my opinion, man.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

youcallthatatwist posted:

i tried playing okami recently and they're not exaggerating. the intro sequence is literally 45 minutes long. it's why i can't see myself replaying it anytime soon.

I'm fine with a long intro but the game seems like an overly long slog even after that.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I bought Okami and played it for the first time two years ago because I randomly chanced into an old PS2 for free and I found the game for 5 bucks. I'd never played it but always heard it was a Zelda-like game.

Man people complain about the intro to Twilight princess but Okami's beginning is a huge drag and the sidekick is more annoying than FI (though he at least has a personality). However if you can get past the intro and stick with it, that game gets so good by the end. It should be played if you like Zelda. It doesn't have a lot of dungeons but it's really long and satisfying.

Darksiders is a solid Zelda clone, although Darksiders 2 is a little less zelda and a little more diablo

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What would count as the least successful central-mechanic in the Zelda series? The Train? The Temple of the Ocean King? One of the instruments that use motion controls?
I hated how slow navigation could be in OOT3D since you needed to learn six separate songs to warp and you could only time-travel in the one spot. I effing hated how Minish Cap expected you to keep track of all the people you fused with without any in-game help.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
definitely the spirit flute. i'm so glad I played ST at an age when I didn't give a poo poo about looking like an idiot in public

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Unlike a lot of people at the time, I thought the boat sections of WW were fine. Then I got to the Triforce part of the game. gently caress that part I'm so glad they shortened it in WWHD

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I haven't played ST yet but definitely the Ocean King Temple in PH for me. That's one of the few times I actually stopped playing a Zelda game. The other time was Majora's Mask but that was due to being a stupid anxious kid stressed out about the timers. I love that game now on 3DS.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

All of TP but the ice dungeon.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Which version of Link to the Past is better, SNES or GBA? I grew up with the GBA version and have never played the SNES version, So I was wondering how they compare overall.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The trains were the worst for me. Overworld navigation via a mandatory, tedious minigame ruined the game for me.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

DanielCross posted:

Which version of Link to the Past is better, SNES or GBA? I grew up with the GBA version and have never played the SNES version, So I was wondering how they compare overall.

The GBA version has some cool extras but the SNES one is still much better due to extra screen resolution and vastly better sound.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

SNES version doesn't have Link screaming (which really didn't fit in LTTP) every time he swings his sword so it's automatically the better version. Plus, SNES to GBA ports sucked in general due to them having washed out colors and butchered sound.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Starhawk64 posted:

SNES version doesn't have Link screaming (which really didn't fit in LTTP) every time he swings his sword so it's automatically the better version. Plus, SNES to GBA ports sucked in general due to them having washed out colors and butchered sound.

I actually prefer the GBA port of Super Mario World. With one exception, I liked the features they added and I prefer the colour palette in that game.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

youcallthatatwist posted:

definitely the spirit flute. i'm so glad I played ST at an age when I didn't give a poo poo about looking like an idiot in public

the spirit flute sucks. I like what they were trying to do but half the time it doesn't loving work and you end up horribly out of breath trying to force it more and more.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Keiya posted:

the spirit flute sucks. I like what they were trying to do but half the time it doesn't loving work and you end up horribly out of breath trying to force it more and more.

any time a game used the ds mic it was my least favorite part of tht game

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I still can't get OBJECTION! shouting to work, even in the 3ds version.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
I hope they take a page out of LA and I get to hit up a witch for a bag of magical powder which I'll proceed to use on EVERYTHING. Just in case. Also the fishing and musical instruments.

No one really mentions Links Awakening in this thread but it was my first Zelda game and forever cemented me as a fan. I think OoT is the only other one to hit me right in the feels the same way.

Goddamnit Nintendo release LA on Wii U

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Rama of Ra posted:

I hope they take a page out of LA and I get to hit up a witch for a bag of magical powder which I'll proceed to use on EVERYTHING. Just in case. Also the fishing and musical instruments.

No one really mentions Links Awakening in this thread but it was my first Zelda game and forever cemented me as a fan. I think OoT is the only other one to hit me right in the feels the same way.

LA does get mentioned. It is usually regarded as the best handheld when LBW isn't. That was excellent grammar.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I never get the complaint about the voice in LTTP for GBA. Link shouts when he swings his sword in every single game after the original version and no one bats an eye. Why is it suddenly unbearably annoying?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
The aesthetic clash, I think. It's like adding hi-fi Yoshi sounds to a pixel-perfect port of the original SNES cart... which I think they did, and I think people complained about as well? :v:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Rama of Ra posted:

Same, LA was my first Zelda too. I had an issue of a British magazine called Gameboy Planet way back in the day, which had a guide for LA, and it included one of those composite maps of every screen of Koholint Island stitched together to give a map of the whole game. I studied that thing for months before I finally got a copy of the game (DX version). And then I had to play it on my slowly dying Gameboy Phat which had an intermittently working Up button. Made it tricky sometimes. Luckily just a few months after that I got a Gameboy Color. The change in LA from 4 colors to whatever the GBC did was stunning to me.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Link's Awakening is amazing, especially for being on the Game Boy. I love how many little details and secrets are in it.

The only time I ever called the Power Line was for some puzzle involving Pols Voice in it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
LA has a pet chain chomp.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

greatn posted:

I never get the complaint about the voice in LTTP for GBA. Link shouts when he swings his sword in every single game after the original version and no one bats an eye. Why is it suddenly unbearably annoying?

Because you often button mash and it does it for every press.

Hyah-h-hhy-h-h-h...

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel that top to bottom Link's Awakening is the best Zelda in almost every way that matters. The overworld is dense, full of secrets to find and things to do. The dungeons are IMO the best in the franchise with mostly good gimmicks. And the plot is surprisingly one of the more well crafted endeavors, especially for a 2D Zelda. It's also just really kind of weird and charming in a way that is uncommon for a Zelda title, except for maybe some parts of Wind Waker and obviously Majora's Mask.

It's let down by two major issues: 1). technical limitations by a lack of additional buttons making equipping weapons/items a pain and 2). those loving messages that pop up whenever you brush against rocks or whatever. If it weren't for these two things I would be perfectly comfortable saying the game, as-is, is my favorite Zelda over LTTP.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

I feel that top to bottom Link's Awakening is the best Zelda in almost every way that matters. The overworld is dense, full of secrets to find and things to do. The dungeons are IMO the best in the franchise with mostly good gimmicks. And the plot is surprisingly one of the more well crafted endeavors, especially for a 2D Zelda. It's also just really kind of weird and charming in a way that is uncommon for a Zelda title, except for maybe some parts of Wind Waker and obviously Majora's Mask.

It's let down by two major issues: 1). technical limitations by a lack of additional buttons making equipping weapons/items a pain and 2). those loving messages that pop up whenever you brush against rocks or whatever. If it weren't for these two things I would be perfectly comfortable saying the game, as-is, is my favorite Zelda over LTTP.

I feel about those loving pop ups that happen when you just TOUCH a block how people feel about SS controls.

I enjoyed LA but I will never go back. The tedious menu-fu and messages really kill it for me. Skyward Sword controls are very fun for me. Makes me sad it doesn't click with everyone.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Just don't touch those blocks man.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm digging LA, but the two button stuff gets more and more annoying as I move forward. I don't think I can finish the GB Zeldas without some rerelease that adds more buttons.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

greatn posted:

Just don't touch those blocks man.

Not possible with dungeon design. You either have to have a bracket equipped in a precious item slot. Or menu back and forth.

This is NOT a technical limitation. But a design flaw. You should not have to equip that as an item. Just have it happen. Man.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah it's a design flaw but not one that should inhibit you at all if you've played the game before.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

LA has a pet chain chomp.

is it in hyrule warriors?

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

a.lo posted:

The level 3 Gauntlets are a chain chomp

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

a.lo posted:

Hell :yeah: it is

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I just love the look of smug satisfaction in this picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

romanowski posted:

maybe you're talking about Oot3D but using the d-pad to control the camera wouldn't have made any sense on the N64 controller

e: I agree with your overall point though

I was playing on Wii with a pro controller. I can see how DPad camera controls would be awkward on the N64 controller but with how awkward it is to do anything the game, moving my left hand to move the camera around wouldn't be the worst.