Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

I am curious on one thing after wathing all that.
Why was Steven connected to Blue Diamond's emotions? Could it be similar to when he connected with the cluster, or is it something more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Question for the 5th episode of the leaked bomb During the song, what gem was Yellow Diamond referring to before the Lapis? The one whose function is to terrify.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

JetpackHowwy posted:

I am curious on one thing after wathing all that.
Why was Steven connected to Blue Diamond's emotions? Could it be similar to when he connected with the cluster, or is it something more?

Same reason he was able to go into Malachite, Kiki, and Lars's minds: that's just one of his weird powers. When he sleeps he can sometimes go into peoples brains to move the plot of the episode along for some reason.

Edit:

Zebia posted:

Question for the 5th episode of the leaked bomb During the song, what gem was Yellow Diamond referring to before the Lapis? The one whose function is to terrify.

Agate. We saw one of them in episode 3 and then again in episode 5: She's the big blue chick with the whip and pointy hair in that's charge of all the Amethysts.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 3, 2017

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Zebia posted:

An Agate terrifies.

Edit: I'm betting on Ronaldo witnessing the start of the mass abductions and not being believed due to being a crackpot.

Mr.Pibbleton fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 3, 2017

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
It must have been hard for Rose to kill Pink Diamond. When you think about it, she was her mother. I wonder if they'll play that angle, eventually.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Must've been even harder for her to stop Bismuth from doing the exact same thipffffft hahaha nah they'll never investigate that hypocrisy.

Especially since Rose's way lead to her army dead, the empire remaining at the height of power for umpteen-thousand years and her few remaining friends utterly traumatised.

(Pacifism has a nasty habit of going really, really bad if your enemy/oppressor doesn't give a poo poo about PR - but if that's the angle they're trying to highlight, my sincere and surprised kudos to Rebecca Sugar)

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jan 3, 2017

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
I hope we get a flashback episode of Lapis and Peridot's totally radical adventure to save Beach City while Steven and the rest were in space.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

Supercar Gautier posted:

Only watched the first episode but lmao at Deedee doing a spot-on Rei impression for Blue Pearl's voice.

Fuuuuuuck Blue and Yellow Pearl are Rei and Asuka aren't they. Making our Pearl the mentally broken main character. Don't see the connection honestly.

Also I gotta mention the consistency in voice actors. All Pearls are Deedee, all Amethysts are Michela, and all Jaspers are Kimberly. It's p great.

Cobalt Zeroni
Feb 15, 2015

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I just want to take a moment to point out that as of now the episodes are STILL on Cartoon Networks official site. They've been up for hours. I wonder if this really was incompetence, or if it's just some bizarre marketing strategy my puny human mind can't understand. Maybe this is the new normal: refuse to release episodes or even give information on when there will be new episodes for months and then just dump five of them on your website without warning three weeks before they're scheduled to air on TV.

CN has previously promoted their mobile app by launching new episodes on it before the TV airing. It's just that most of their shows aren't as closely followed as SU, I'd imagine.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Cobalt Zeroni posted:

CN has previously promoted their mobile app by launching new episodes on it before the TV airing. It's just that most of their shows aren't as closely followed as SU, I'd imagine.

Yeah, I've since researched this and apparently this is just something Cartoon Network does sometimes. It's not a leak or an accident, they totally meant to do this.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I said I wouldn't have any more to say until the end of the month, but, I was lying.

The zoomans (official terminology - did anybody else catch it?) are a pretty provocative idea in the context of everything this show says about humanity and emotion. Zoomans are effectively not human. The earth - apparently the source of all sedition in the known universe - is not their home. They get bigger, but they don't grow, instead existing in an ageless psychological stasis. Every day is the same as every other, and it follows a routine handed down from above, so there is no such thing as choice for them. Nor, I would argue, do they even have love! Or at least not love like you. Never having known even the slightest adversity, they not only lack the strength that comes from overcoming it, but also show no capacity for empathy for others' adversity - when it is that very empathy that so impressed Blue Diamond that she thought to preserve it.

In other words, if Rose and/or Steven are gems made human, the zoomans are humans made gem. They were put in a gem's idea of a paradisiacal society, and after five thousand years of that, they were left with the emotional maturity of... rocks. The comparative richness of Greg's life (twice he alluded to it in jokes - the line about not breaking that many hearts "since [he] had hair" and the line about it being about the third wildest weekend he's ever had) is an illustration of the vastness of human experience, and the reason why the show as a whole expresses an attitude of reverent awe towards humanity.

Greg saw humanity in Rose. "If I could only be half of what you think of me...." Rose intended for Steven to be a human. (I don't recall the exact line but it was something like) "You'll be something wonderful. You'll be a human being."

It also means that Pink Diamond - who, yes, is basically Rose's mother - saw humans, and adored them, and smothered the very thing that made them special. Which is, hm, extremely significant. I wonder if it's connected to the matricide. (The intentional matricide of Pink Diamond, not the unwitting matricide of Rose Quartz.)

Yellow Diamond was introduced in a way that made her as intimidating to Steven as she is to the Crystal Gems. But with Blue Diamond, Steven's attitude is deliberately as sympathetic as possible. I mean, he was literally crying her tears, feeling her grief. That's pretty drat intimate. It also echoes the introduction of Peridot, as well, where Steven's empathy overcame the Crystal Gems' fear. Which, of course, means that Steven will, himself, have to overcome his own fear of Yellow Diamond in order to reach her.

Every gem has a role in their society, and the role of a diamond is to lead. Yellow Diamond, singing about herself, chastises Blue for being so overcome by grief that she has neglected her role, an anathema to Homeworld (or at least to the Yellow faction and the hierarchically-minded like Holly Blue Agate, who are drawn to Yellow). Yellow herself is grieving as well, but she has attempted to exist without emotion ("What's the use of feeling, Blue?"). She dedicates herself entirely to her role of leadership, which she executes without compassion.

Their debate over the fate of the other Rose Quartzes reflects some of this attitude as well. Yellow, coldly, wants them executed as an example, despite the shortage of powerful gems in the Second Era. Blue, unable to accept the loss of Pink, simply wants them preserved as they are - she cannot bring herself to change anything that was hers, whether to destroy it, use it, or liberate it.

Incidentally, I'm predicting that the knowledge that Steven and Peridot stopped the Earth from being destroyed will make an ally, of sorts, out of Blue Diamond before this season is over.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jan 3, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Watching through. On the last one. OH poo poo THOSE ARE ROSE QUARTZES OH poo poo DID THEY BOX THE ENTIRE LINE GODDAMNIT CAVIL

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

I'm pretty confident in saying that was my favorite Steven Bomb yet.

My favorite scene:

Additionally, anyone have the lyrics for What's The Point In Feeling Blue? yet?

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

Fuuuuuuck Blue and Yellow Pearl are Rei and Asuka aren't they. Making our Pearl the mentally broken main character. Don't see the connection honestly.

Also I gotta mention the consistency in voice actors. All Pearls are Deedee, all Amethysts are Michela, and all Jaspers are Kimberly. It's p great.

I love this. All of it.

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 3, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Okay, done.

"It's true. The window for preserving earth specimens is closing"
"Is that what you want? Sapphire, has the cluster emerged yet?"
"No, it has not."
"Then there's still time. That will be all."

That's... ominous. What is Yellow going to do?

Also, goddamn I love the wordplays they use in this show. It's "What's the use of feeling, Blue?", not "What's the use of feeling blue?". And I love that they made it clear that Yellow really misses Pink as well. She's not as dispassionate about it as she wished.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 3, 2017

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

So a few posts on facebook have once again brought up how this leak will really hurt the show, but then I've heard other posts in the past contradicting that? Does anyone have the Skinny:allears:on this?

I also loved in The Zoo, Greg standing up to the idea of arranged marriage and thus speaking his voice as a form of independence...as a direct parallel to Rose rebelling against the wishes of the superiors of her species.

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 3, 2017

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Lupus Rufus posted:

for cast nerds: Blue Diamond's voice actor is Lisa Hannigan, who I haven't heard of before.

Lisa Hannigan! I can only assume it's this Lisa Hannigan, that's wonderful.

I recommend you listen to her, and also the album she recorded with Damien Rice, one of my favourite chilled out albums to listen to.

Now to avoid this thread until I get home.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yellow said that the entire cut of gems deserved to be shattered, and from Peridot we know it's Gem->Facet->Cut for classification, so there might still be Rose Quartzes of a different cut out there...

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
hello I everyone I have finished the first new episode and :catstare:

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I know it would violate SPOV but I really want an ep about Connie, Lapis, and Peridot defending Beach City. Maybe a Garnet's Universe/The Answer style retelling? Or three three-minute stories, each in a different animation style, narrated by one of them?

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

Test Pattern posted:

I know it would violate SPOV but I really want an ep about Connie, Lapis, and Peridot defending Beach City. Maybe a Garnet's Universe/The Answer style retelling? Or three three-minute stories, each in a different animation style, narrated by one of them?

I'd be fine with this too.

I think Blue Diamond could be my new favorite character. And I was hoping we'd get to see another Peridot when all the "limbs" were de-clothing Steven but, ah well. I love the Amethysts/Jaspers anyhow.

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

I really want to see the gem that corresponds with the gremlin setting on the ruby ship.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ugh, is anyone else not able to get the page for The Zoo (http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/video/steven-universe/the-zoo-episode.html) to load at all? All the other videos load fine, but this hangs at a blank screen.

Guess it's a sign I should probably take a shower and, y'know, prepare to go to work, like an adult

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

abraham linksys posted:

ugh, is anyone else not able to get the page for The Zoo (http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/video/steven-universe/the-zoo-episode.html) to load at all? All the other videos load fine, but this hangs at a blank screen.

Guess it's a sign I should probably take a shower and, y'know, prepare to go to work, like an adult

It works for me but it does take some time to load.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

My theory about this is that someone decided to put the episodes up ahead of time and for the date that they become public, they made a typo and put 01/3 instead of 01/30.

I may or may not be able to avoid these spoilers until 1/30.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

abraham linksys posted:

In case anyone else is wondering:

The new episodes start at Steven's Dream and end with That will be all. For some reason, 'Gem Harvest' and 'Three Gems and a Baby' have the same episode numbers as the first two of the new five.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Inglonias posted:

My theory about this is that someone decided to put the episodes up ahead of time and for the date that they become public, they made a typo and put 01/3 instead of 01/30.

I may or may not be able to avoid these spoilers until 1/30.

I'd think that, but they actually went up on 1/2. Unless they're operating on GMT and it hit at midnight or something.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

seen them all now! and I will only be like 15 minutes late to work :toot:

new episodes: Pearl pausing on the line "when I was in service to - Homeworld..." made me really think we were gonna get a "Pearl was Pink Diamond's Pearl" reveal this marathon. Maybe next time!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Man I still can't believe they had four episodes dedicated to grasper and only one for larpis.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Oh yeah, and the zoomans have also never eaten real food.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the idea that the Gems are so used to stasis that when a change is forced upon them they just cannot handle it, and it becomes their new state permanently as they don't know how to change. Blue Diamond has been a weepy mess ever since Pink Diamond's death shocked her into a new state of mind, and has never been able to compose herself - until she met Greg. They really should talk more. It may be good for her.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Bongo Bill posted:

Oh yeah, and the zoomans have also never eaten real food.

Which, given the ongoing food metaphor, I guess symbolizes their inability to have adult relationships or feelings?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

BioEnchanted posted:

I like the idea that the Gems are so used to stasis that when a change is forced upon them they just cannot handle it, and it becomes their new state permanently as they don't know how to change. Blue Diamond has been a weepy mess ever since Pink Diamond's death shocked her into a new state of mind, and has never been able to compose herself - until she met Greg. They really should talk more. It may be good for her.

I wonder if she'll ever think to visit the zoo in order to converse with that delightful human again. but it still doesn't explain why Peridot's weapon is a chair, it's not even a metal folding one!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Which, given the ongoing food metaphor, I guess symbolizes their inability to have adult relationships or feelings?

Food is love, and the version of both that is given to them by their environment is a dim imitation of the kind you can get on earth.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

BioEnchanted posted:

It was probably to Greg's benefit that the conversation didn't go any further. She's a weepy mess but that doesn't mean she's incapable of being furious when she finds out who it is that he's grieving over.

The new episodes were pretty cool. Still sick of Cartoon Network's handling of this show though.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I want all the garnets and amethysts to come and live on earth with the gems.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

These eps were good.

I like everything to do with the Diamond designs the most, so far. They're alien without being too weird--both visually (Yellow's big neck, Blue's weird egg head) and musically (their dissonant un-music theme music).

I wanted to doodle the egghead.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
gently caress! I'm watching these tonight. Leaks suck for the creators but damnit this like giving a gigantic crack rock to a crackhead.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

abraham linksys posted:

seen them all now! and I will only be like 15 minutes late to work :toot:

new episodes: Pearl pausing on the line "when I was in service to - Homeworld..." made me really think we were gonna get a "Pearl was Pink Diamond's Pearl" reveal this marathon. Maybe next time!

That's a "That only raises further questions!" intentional type of pause. I was in the "Pearl was Pink's pearl" camp before, and that just solidifies it for me.

Glasgow Kiss posted:

gently caress! I'm watching these tonight. Leaks suck for the creators but damnit this like giving a gigantic crack rock to a crackhead.

And it was perfect timing for the cartoon network app to drop on Apple TV, I didn't even have to do mirroring shenanigans last night to watch them on my television.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I especially liked Pearl's bitching about Peridot.

I do wonder why Garnet is so scared of B.D., tho.

Edit: A point was made re. this post. Changed accordingly.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
these eps, wow. these eps.

I find it literally impossible to pick a favorite moment because holy poo poo there's so much to unpack, but I did thoroughly enjoy the Amethysts barging in to ruthlessly smother the human riot by providing emotional support :3: