Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Boardwalk Empire suffers from always having at least one super annoying character. First with Jimmy and then Gyp Rosetti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

get that OUT of my face posted:

I saw the first episode of The Mick. It's pretty good, and when you compare it to the average pilot episode it's really good. I'm sure it'll get even better as it goes on.

It was a little flat but in that way pilots often are (especially since they have to have the "the jerky protagonist really does have a heart!" Beat) but there's potential. Kaitlin Olson's still a great physical comedian so it's got that going for it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Escobarbarian posted:

man....sherlock is just godawful

Sherlock looked amazing, I'll give it that.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

In the very beginning of the book, Trevor lets you know that his mother eventually gets shot in the back of the head by his stepfather. This is not really every brought up again as he goes through his life because his stepfather enters the picture rather later. At the end, he finally gets to the part where his stepfather shoots his mother. She survives via pretty much "literally miracle" as the bullet enters the back of her head, missing her spinal cord by millimeters, ricochets off her cheekbone and comes out by her nose, leaving her perfectly fine and she gets sent home from the hospital the same day. You really don't get the full effect unless you've gotten to "know" his mother, which is what the book is really about; it's almost entirely about him and his relationship with his mom, and the ending is such a surprise happy one that it made me go whoah.

Actually she was out of the hospital in 3 or 4 days and back to work in 7, which is still loving amazing. Also she got shot in the butt too.

I happened to finish the audiobook this afternoon by sheer happenstance and I would also highly recommend it. I wasn't expecting it to be nearly as good as it was.

Mu Zeta posted:

That sounds good. I thought the whole thing would be about how South Africa sucks.

Oh South Africa most assuredly sucks a giant sack of assholes but it's not really about that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Season 12 of Bones starts tomorrow. Someone should make a Last Season thread for it. Not me.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Mu Zeta posted:

Boardwalk Empire suffers from always having at least one super annoying character. First with Jimmy and then Gyp Rosetti.

I didn't find either of them that annoying, but even granting that there are still two more seasons.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Boardwalk Empire over House of Cards, definitely. And I like House of Cards.

Silly Kitty
Sep 29, 2007

Here kitty, kitty, kitty.

IRQ posted:

Actually she was out of the hospital in 3 or 4 days and back to work in 7, which is still loving amazing. Also she got shot in the butt too.

I happened to finish the audiobook this afternoon by sheer happenstance and I would also highly recommend it. I wasn't expecting it to be nearly as good as it was.

Oh South Africa most assuredly sucks a giant sack of assholes but it's not really about that.

If you enjoyed the book consider checking out You Laugh But It's True on Netflix. It's a documentary about him preparing for his one man show and that incident happens during the middle of that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

whowhatwhere posted:

I didn't find either of them that annoying, but even granting that there are still two more seasons.

I don't remember why I hated Jimmy but Gyp Rosetti was a cartoon character.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Mu Zeta posted:

Gyp Rosetti was a cartoon character.

And oddly enough, he won the show's sole acting Emmy.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
BOARDWALK EMPIRE always felt like a show that was about to be great. Like you thought next season was going to be the one where it all clicked into place but for me it never did.

It also suffers from having a protagonist who isn't all that interesting. That's not Buscemi's fault, it just kind of does nothing with him. And that last season makes some hugely questionable choices.

Saying that, I'd still take it over HOUSE OF CARDS.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

With regards to censorship and S&P practices rulings in the 21st century, I urge everyone to try watching an episode of Naked Attraction from the UKs Channel 4 (a network broadcaster).

It's without doubt the most Channel 4 thing ever, while also feeling like a German satellite TV show from the 90s. I feel they should re-dub all the talking back over just to complete this.

The show works as thus: a male or female contestant walks out, clothed, and there are something like 8 people in pods, naked, who are male/female/combo based on the contestants preferences.

They then start opening the pods from the bottom up, letting the contestant eliminate unwanted suitors based solely on genitalia, which are shown completely uncensored. Bit by bit they get fully revealed, the contestant then chooses 2 they like the best, gets undressed themselves for reasons (?), and then picks one to go on a date with. The end.

The whole time everyone is trying to talk as if this is a legitimate thing, saying things like 'how refreshing it is that I can see beyond materialistic things like clothing to see the real person' as if this means anything. But everyone there must know it's complete titilating bullshit, from producers to host to contestants.

It's the strangest thing on TV, and it's quite funny to mentally contrast and compare it to 1990s dating trash poo poo that Cilla Black would host on a Saturday afternoon. It's hard to know which has more, if any, merit.

God bless Channel 4 for completely selling out on what made them the most interesting channel for decades but still having someone there who'll commission poo poo like this. It's like a bit of it still lives on.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
All of those things you mentioned and Cilla Black, are terrible in every way. Just terrible.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh I completely agree. It's like watching a car crash.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

With regards to censorship and S&P practices rulings in the 21st century, I urge everyone to try watching an episode of Naked Attraction from the UKs Channel 4 (a network broadcaster).

It's without doubt the most Channel 4 thing ever, while also feeling like a German satellite TV show from the 90s. I feel they should re-dub all the talking back over just to complete this.

The show works as thus: a male or female contestant walks out, clothed, and there are something like 8 people in pods, naked, who are male/female/combo based on the contestants preferences.

They then start opening the pods from the bottom up, letting the contestant eliminate unwanted suitors based solely on genitalia, which are shown completely uncensored. Bit by bit they get fully revealed, the contestant then chooses 2 they like the best, gets undressed themselves for reasons (?), and then picks one to go on a date with. The end.

The whole time everyone is trying to talk as if this is a legitimate thing, saying things like 'how refreshing it is that I can see beyond materialistic things like clothing to see the real person' as if this means anything. But everyone there must know it's complete titilating bullshit, from producers to host to contestants.

It's the strangest thing on TV, and it's quite funny to mentally contrast and compare it to 1990s dating trash poo poo that Cilla Black would host on a Saturday afternoon. It's hard to know which has more, if any, merit.

God bless Channel 4 for completely selling out on what made them the most interesting channel for decades but still having someone there who'll commission poo poo like this. It's like a bit of it still lives on.
Based on your rec I'm watching the episode with the DJ and it's hilarious for so many reasons including only presenting white women to the black contestant.

ROFLMAO "There's all sorts of labia... I call it the cheeseburger. You know, when the cheese just comes out over the edge of the cheeseburger a little bit. So the bit of the corner, just sort of flips over the side of the bun, slightly." The hand motions make this epic.

3rd girl rejected, only shook hands with the DJ whereas the others hugged him. In the exit interview she says, "Also he wasn't my type" AKA BLACK

Let's just focus on his BIG BLACK COCK. "It's just staring at me in the face!" Host points and says "Take. A good. Look."

In the second segment with a female contestant, they seem to get on really well but 2 months later and they haven't gone on a second date because they live too far away. There's 14 million people in metro London wtf Channel 4, you're telling me you can't cast your stupid show from that population?

All in all, it's a fun novelty that I wouldn't watch more than a couple times. I didn't find it titillating, but maybe that's because I was regularly pausing to look stuff up.

At least it's better than this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzG9BNHcDrE

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 3, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Please post some choice quotes of awkward dialogue. I've only seen the first episode, which admittedly I skimmed through some parts of because I just couldn't deal with the whole thing.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Aftermath on SyFy is an enjoyable romp through a ridiculous apocalypse scenario that if you like Z-Nation you should give it a shot.

edit: ^^^^ :stonklol:

Cactus fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 3, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josh Lyman posted:

Based on your rec I'm watching the episode with the DJ and it's hilarious for so many reasons including only presenting white women to the black contestant.

ROFLMAO "There's all sorts of labia... I call it the cheeseburger. You know, when the cheese just comes out over the edge of the cheeseburger a little bit. So the bit of the corner, just sort of flips over the side of the bun, slightly." The hand motions make this epic.

3rd girl rejected, only shook hands with the DJ whereas the others hugged him. In the exit interview she says, "Also he wasn't my type" AKA BLACK

Let's just focus on his BIG BLACK COCK. "It's just staring at me in the face!" Host points and says "Take. A good. Look."

In the second segment with a female contestant, they seem to get on really well but 2 months later and they haven't gone on a second date because they live too far away. There's 14 million people in metro London wtf Channel 4, you're telling me you can't cast your stupid show from that population?

All in all, it's a fun novelty that I wouldn't watch more than a couple times. I didn't find it titillating, but maybe that's because I was regularly pausing to look stuff up.

At least it's better than this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzG9BNHcDrE

They want nice girls not those east end, black country or scouse baby replicators. Was bossman from Berminhmm?

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jan 3, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

They want nice girls not those east end, black country or scouse baby replicators. Was bossman from Berminhmm?
Nah, the DJ was from Wolverhampton.

edit: v Yeah just looked, they're like 30 miles apart. Also when I originally replied you said Brixton. :colbert:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 3, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yep... Birmingham. :D

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

DrVenkman posted:

BOARDWALK EMPIRE always felt like a show that was about to be great. Like you thought next season was going to be the one where it all clicked into place but for me it never did.

It also suffers from having a protagonist who isn't all that interesting. That's not Buscemi's fault, it just kind of does nothing with him. And that last season makes some hugely questionable choices.

Saying that, I'd still take it over HOUSE OF CARDS.

It didn't want to commit to concept. The real Nucky was one of the more powerful bosses local politics has ever seen, and the thing that eventually brought him down was more related to him banging out William Randolph Hearst's girlfriend than cliche gangster poo poo. And by "brought down" I mean did 4 years in prison and spent 27 years married to a woman half his age living comfortably, and still with a degree of influence, until the day he died. He also looked, and lived, more like John Goodman than Steve Buscemi. And he didn't have guys whacked. He didn't have to. He had people for that. Now instead of doing the story of a powerful figure connected to all that crime that ultimately only touches it tangentially, they just made another straight up gangster story about all the same gangster figures.

Which would be fine, but then they also had to drag Nucky into it, and that meant it's all muddled. I mean the story of the real Nucky is if someone tells you "You can't be half a gangster", don't be a gangster. You make more money and live longer. He even outlived Luciano, who had a pretty solid run as far as gangsters go. Instead they did another brooding anti-hero white guy story to fit in with all the other gangsters it was clear they really wanted to focus on. And the results were spotty because of it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I have been watching Colony, and drat it is silly.

7 episodes in, a very silly show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Steve Buscemi also kills it in horace and pete

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

Disagree about Buscemi. He's a good actor, but he was completely miscast in that role. Every time he was supposed to be physically intimidating to someone (or even worse, actually got in a fist fight), it was kind of ridiculous. I agree about the last season though; turning a gangster story turned into a weird morality play about something that took place decades before the plot even started was kind of a poo poo show.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Sinteres posted:

Disagree about Buscemi. He's a good actor, but he was completely miscast in that role. Every time he was supposed to be physically intimidating to someone (or even worse, actually got in a fist fight), it was kind of ridiculous. I agree about the last season though; turning a gangster story turned into a weird morality play about something that took place decades before the plot even started was kind of a poo poo show.

That thing that happened is referenced heavily in previous seasons and is the start of everything that happens in the show. You sound like a person complaining that a movie didn't have enough splosions.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

That thing that happened is referenced heavily in previous seasons and is the start of everything that happens in the show. You sound like a person complaining that a movie didn't have enough splosions.

It didn't come out of nowhere, but the disproportionate focus on Nucky's sins of the past while the show was busy elsewhere covering the rise of organized crime in Chicago and New York made the show a tonal mess. Boardwalk Empire as a show tried to be half a gangster.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Megyn Kelly is joining NBC News. This is so weird.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Sinteres posted:

It didn't come out of nowhere, but the disproportionate focus on Nucky's sins of the past while the show was busy elsewhere covering the rise of organized crime in Chicago and New York made the show a tonal mess. Boardwalk Empire as a show tried to be half a gangster.

The show was about fictional character Nucky Thompson. There may have been a million side people and side stories, but he was the beginning and end of that show. The event we're talking about is central and essential to the motivations of Nucky, the rise to power of Nucky, and where Nucky is at the end of the show.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

America is making a hard swerve right. Makes sense that NBC would want to get in on the ground floor.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The show was about fictional character Nucky Thompson. There may have been a million side people and side stories, but he was the beginning and end of that show. The event we're talking about is central and essential to the motivations of Nucky, the rise to power of Nucky, and where Nucky is at the end of the show.

The show you're describing sounds even worse than the show we got.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Sinteres posted:

The show you're describing sounds even worse than the show we got.

You one of them weirdos who thinks Mickey Doyle was the main character the whole time?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

You one of them weirdos who thinks Mickey Doyle was the main character the whole time?

I wish. Of course Nucky was the main character, but he often wasn't the best part of the show, and saying that the show begins and ends with him makes all the side plots sound like filler. If that were true, it would be a pretty awful show. Imagine saying Mad Men began and ended with Don Draper and everything about Peggy, Pete, Joan and Roger that wasn't directly tied to Don didn't really matter since it wasn't the point of the show.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Sinteres posted:

I wish. Of course Nucky was the main character, but he often wasn't the best part of the show, and saying that the show begins and ends with him makes all the side plots sound like filler. If that were true, it would be a pretty awful show. Imagine saying Mad Men began and ended with Don Draper and everything about Peggy, Pete, Joan and Roger that wasn't directly tied to Don didn't really matter since it wasn't the point of the show.

You're making some wild extrapolations there. Nucky was the main character, that storyline in the final season was central to his character, that's why it mattered and was not some waste of time.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Richard “Mack” Machowicz who hosted "Future Weapons" on Discovery just died from brain cancer. Aside from hosting the show he was a Navy SEAL. He was only 51.

Show was pretty awesome showing new weapons being developed. And he seemed like a pretty cool guy in the show as well.

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.

Mu Zeta posted:

Time to start writing my Keldow fan-fiction:

quote:

Rachel Maddow and Megyn Kelly are two political talk show firebrands, powerful women in a man's world. One a Conservative, a devout Catholic, a wife to her husband of eight years, Douglas, and a mother to their three children; the other a Liberal, irreligious (despite her catholic upbringing), living in a stable relationship of nearly two decades with her partner, Susan.

They can't see eye to eye on anything it seems, at least not until Megyn's first NBCNews New Years party, where they finally discover one thing they can agree on, their impossible budding attraction to one another.

Its the Draco/Harry for the modern era!

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Anyone else watch The Kettering Incident on Amazon? Bit of a Twin Peaks mystery/thriller type thing that had me pretty hooked all the way through. A lot of people apparently had a problem with the finale but I enjoyed it and it seems to be confirmed for a second season anyway so I suggest checking it out.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is like Skip Bayless going to FS1. People didn't watch Megyn because they liked her. They watched her because Fox News was on.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My dad watches her because she's hot, that's about it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I watched her because I hated almost everything she said but not to the point where I wanted her to die. I want Sean Hannity to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

My dad watches her because she's hot, that's about it.

That's pretty much all she has going for her.

• Locked thread