Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Berserkers exist for farming dailies. During the story and events, I use real classes instead.

Mostly assassins because the game throws so many at me that I have become the Assmaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I've been rolling my 750,000 friend points; first to finish getting NP5 for Fluffy since *apparently* 1*-3* Servants are sometimes useful for quirky bossfights; and then after finally beating Goetia I kept at it so I can finish leveling up Kaleidoscope.

Now they also give me Four-cards so I figured I might as well see what stats I can squeeze out of my Servants it's really obnoxious you can't use cross class cards. Like a Lancer Four with a Rider.

Then I got one of those new 3* CE's that apparently give +QP; so I'm working on hoping to get enough to Limit Break at least one.

On a unrelated note, what team comp is Fran useful in? I've never seen her do anything impressive whenever I slotted her in to deal with dealing with 3+ different Servant classes. She has a Quick NP, does she need stars?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Frankenstein's a hand clearer.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

BlitzBlast posted:

Frankenstein's a hand clearer.

I got her to Wave 3 just now with her NP charged and then she died immediately when all 3 hands targeted her.

:(

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
http://imgur.com/a/gm0mR

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

I appreciate the person trying to sabotage the ritual with MHX

blankd
Mar 26, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Then I got one of those new 3* CE's that apparently give +QP; so I'm working on hoping to get enough to Limit Break at least one.

Just a warning but LBing the +QP one will only give you +1 more QP. (2017->2018)

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Overlord K posted:

I appreciate the person trying to sabotage the ritual with MHX

No matter what, she's still a saber regardless of what class she is.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

what possessed me to try and grind all of my bronzes and silvers to their max levels

i have killed so many hands and i've only maxed 4 out of like 40

i want to die

Twib
Dec 24, 2013
I've already grinded all my bronzes and silvers to max level.

Now I feel totally listless because there's literally nothing to do except farm prisms or farm bond.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

blankd posted:

Just a warning but LBing the +QP one will only give you +1 more QP. (2017->2018)

Apparently it might not even do that, but it does give +17 attack though? Regardless I like having every CE LB'd. They're pretty.

quote:

what possessed me to try and grind all of my bronzes and silvers to their max levels

i have killed so many hands and i've only maxed 4 out of like 40

i want to die

I feel like I'm probably hopping onto that boat soon. I feel like I should probably starting grinding some of the more useful ones to max pre-grail levels just in case; or at least so they won't die to a single hit if they end up fighting during an event.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

at least these EXP hungry assholes are happy

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah at the very least unlocking their final ascension picture is probably a worthy goal of a completionist.

I just wish I didn't screw up the first half of the christmas event because now I gotta wait another year to complete Santa Alter Rider.

Totalling it up, for Tamamonomae I need:

51 Shining Gems (Presumably this is the same for Waver)
51 Magic Gems.
132 Bones.
51 Secret Gem of Spells.
45 Ghost Lanterns
90 Norse Walnuts.
72 Pages.
3 Crystallized Lore.
160,000,000 QP.

Jesus what is I can't even.

Waver BECAUSE WHY NOT:
51 Shining Gems (Yes it is)
51 Magic Gems.
51 Secret Gem of Spells.
90 Void Dust, hope the Schnee Dust Company can provide!
45 Pages.
33 Heart of a Foreign God.
60 Pheonix plumes.
3 Crystallized Lore.
Also 160,000,000 QP.

Waver eases off in someways actually.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 3, 2017

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Watched the Fate/Grand Order anime without knowing anything about the game. Thought it was "good", excepting the protagonist who is a boring dope. I mean, yeah, he's a player stand-in, but he could have at least one interesting trait. Thinking back, I suppose the most interesting thing about him is that he'd loving fall asleep while receiving important instructions about a mission to save the world. Real heroic. I hope this is a sign that in the future he will be speaking less and doing less in the actual storyline as more servants pop up.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I still don't understand why the OVA didn't even bother to explain why Fujimura fell asleep. Like, that was the one kinda funny thing about the prologue, that the world is saved solely because they got a dude off the street.

Also the F/GO MC pretty much becomes an action movie hero by around the midway point. Too bad we're going to have to sit through a whole bunch of nothing before then.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

BlitzBlast posted:

I still don't understand why the OVA didn't even bother to explain why Fujimura fell asleep. Like, that was the one kinda funny thing about the prologue, that the world is saved solely because they got a dude off the street.

Also the F/GO MC pretty much becomes an action movie hero by around the midway point. Too bad we're going to have to sit through a whole bunch of nothing before then.

We might get lucky and Gudako might tag along after the Second order? :ohdear:

Why did Fujimura fall asleep again, I don't remember.

My main disappointment is that I was really hoping for Fujimura to be like a male Rin; regular Rin rocked every scene she was the PoV for in FSN.

blankd
Mar 26, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Apparently it might not even do that, but it does give +17 attack though? Regardless I like having every CE LB'd. They're pretty.

I feel like I'm probably hopping onto that boat soon. I feel like I should probably starting grinding some of the more useful ones to max pre-grail levels just in case; or at least so they won't die to a single hit if they end up fighting during an event.

Fair enough! I'd just hate to see someone get that kind of surprise.

Also I too am in QP/hand-hell. :suicide:

EDIT: And if I'm lucky I can get some 4star I don't care about to unlock the pleasure of grinding for the Monalisa CE...

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

1. Chaldea wants as many people as possible for their mission. Nasu joked in an interview that they basically put out an ad, they were that desperate.
2. Fujimura figures why not, and heads over.
3. There is a security check to get into Chaldea that scans your magic circuits, and since Fujimura is such a poo poo magus this knocks him out.
4. Mashu finds him, wakes him up, and sends him on his way to the briefing even though he's still drowzy.
5. Naturally he falls asleep in the meeting.
6. He gets kicked out and guided to his room, where he meets Roman.
7. Roman decides to spend his time chatting with Fujimura instead of doing his job, and thus avoids the explosion.

The entire world owes its survival to the biggest coincidence imaginable, it's the best.

Raenir Salazar posted:

My main disappointment is that I was really hoping for Fujimura to be like a male Rin; regular Rin rocked every scene she was the PoV for in FSN.

That was the other thing, First Order removed basically all of Fujimura's dialogue during Fuyuki. The whole chapter is exposition hell that's only lightened up by your MC constantly snarking at Olga. I get they had to speed through, but it came at the cost of making Fujimura even blander than he already was.

They also decided to add in a bunch of scenes at the end that clearly call forward to the ending of the final order, but it was a really poor decision because now the story basically goes "Mashu and MC watch Olga die horribly -> They don't care and hug"

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 3, 2017

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

BlitzBlast posted:

1. Chaldea wants as many people as possible for their mission. Nasu joked in an interview that they basically put out an ad, they were that desperate.
2. Fujimura figures why not, and heads over.
3. There is a security check to get into Chaldea that scans your magic circuits, and since Fujimura is such a poo poo magus this knocks him out.
4. Mashu finds him, wakes him up, and sends him on his way to the briefing even though he's still drowzy.
5. Naturally he falls asleep in the meeting.
6. He gets kicked out and guided to his room, where he meets Roman.
7. Roman decides to spend his time chatting with Fujimura instead of doing his job, and thus avoids the explosion.

The entire world owes its survival to the biggest coincidence imaginable, it's the best.

Oh they did explain that, except its so subtle its easy to miss because my brain dismissed it as technobabble to protect itself.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's probably just the circles I'm in, but it feels like First Order was met with a pretty :geno: reaction at best.

And honestly, I'm pretty happy about that because man gently caress F/GO's first few chapters. I don't even know why they're bothering to start from the beginning, Fuyuki through Septem are almost universally considered some of the weakest stuff in the entire franchise. Not to mention that the stories of each singularity are pretty self-contained. You could skip straight to London and cover Fuyuki through Okeanos in like a five minute "how we got here" sequence.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I liked it, and look forward to seeing Evil Jeanne and more of it. But it doesn't quite make me as super excited as I was for UBW. I think it's fine, but definitely isn't great; they really needed to put more effort into Fujimura.

Then again had it been Gudako I likely would've given it 10/10.

Okay so I'm confused I got the grab bag from the mana prism shop but didn't get anything from it? I don't see it in my gift box. :(

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You just get the QP and FP immediately, I think.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

BlitzBlast posted:

You just get the QP and FP immediately, I think.

Ah that makes sense! Thanks.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

BlitzBlast posted:

It's probably just the circles I'm in, but it feels like First Order was met with a pretty :geno: reaction at best.

And honestly, I'm pretty happy about that because man gently caress F/GO's first few chapters. I don't even know why they're bothering to start from the beginning, Fuyuki through Septem are almost universally considered some of the weakest stuff in the entire franchise. Not to mention that the stories of each singularity are pretty self-contained. You could skip straight to London and cover Fuyuki through Okeanos in like a five minute "how we got here" sequence.

Hopefully they'll make them better, although the bland dude from First Order isn't exactly a good sign.

I mean, they named him Fujimura, they could at least put some tiger in him!

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Gudako is too powerful for the OVA

But yeah, Fujimura is blaaaaand, should have gone with the fun dialogue like in-game. Even Hakuno's got more sass to them

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
The problem is, the dialogue for the protag in some of the early chapters is also rather bland, outside of the prologue snark. It is, once again, around London that the Protag even begins to show signs of life equal to Hakuno or Shirou, and it's only really in Camelot (and the events that came out around then) that they start to feel like their own complete character.

It's almost a little surprising that the game got to London, to be honest, much less that it saw such a spike in quality once Camelot and Babylonia came out.

BlitzBlast posted:

To elaborate: in the game, this is basically a "how to be a Master" tutorial, AKA the initial combat tutorial that teaches you the super basics of how to play the fightans with Artoria, Cu and Arash. The protag passes out after it in the game too, and is found by Mash(u) & Fou in the same way as in the show.

Anyway, I thought the pacing got a little goofy at the end, yeah. And if nothing else, I feel like they should've announced a scheduled release for Orleans, too, since it's at least more indicative of how the game actually is rather than "another huge pile of F/SN references", which I've seen people complain about elsewhere.

Ah but who cares, I'm hype as hell for Apocrypha animated and mah girl Mordred.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
TBF, Ritsuka's reactions aren't really outside the realm of what a regular dude would do, and he is supposed to be a regular dude. Sadly this meant nixing a lot of what makes him fun. Hopefully he'll get his sense of humor back for the next orders.
Don't think making him a girl would've fixed it anyways.

btw, it's Fujimaru, not Fujimura. :ssh:
(Maru as in circle, or 0, or O. F G O. Nasu's most on the nose name in the history of ever)

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Rolled the Assassin/Extra gatcha and somehow got Jack instead of a duplicate Jeanne. Between Shiki, Emiya Alter and Carmilla I probably didn't need another single-target Assassin, but it was the only role in which I didn't have a five-star.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Kyte posted:

(Maru as in circle, or 0, or O. F G O. Nasu's most on the nose name in the history of ever)

This owns.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Kyte posted:

If I don't have at least one dumb fuckup per post in this thread, I'm not doing it right. :v:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

Ah but who cares, I'm hype as hell for Apocrypha animated and mah girl Mordred.

You broke rule number 1 of dealing with Mordred; surely you know better than this :colbert:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Maybe now that there is a FGO anime I can come to understand what FGO is.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

FGO is a waifu/husbando collection and farming simulator

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Plus IIRC Ritsuka relates to summer which was when FGO was released!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kyte posted:

Plus IIRC Ritsuka relates to summer which was when FGO was released!

Hm, it doesn't, but I looked up the name and the Kanji mean "stand" and "smell/fragrance."

edit: Oh, you said "relates to summer", thought you said "means summer." Though I'm not sure how it relates to summer either.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 3, 2017

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Obviously they're saving Gudako for the inevitable Let's Play Fate/GO anime adaptation.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Hm, it doesn't, but I looked up the name and the Kanji mean "stand" and "smell/fragrance."

edit: Oh, you said "relates to summer", thought you said "means summer." Though I'm not sure how it relates to summer either.

The more common kanji in that name for "ka" is the one for summer (like if you type in ritsuka in Windows, that's the first thing that comes up; it's both a first name and "the first day of summer"). Also if you flip the order of the actual kanji, it refers to incense sticks, which are associated with Obon, which is associated with summer.

Also it's a pretty feminine name so there are theories it was chosen so it could apply to both male and female versions of the character. Fujimaru, despite being the official last name, sounds a lot like a male first name, which feeds into this theory.

Also if you turn it into romaji it becomes "hujimaru ritsuka" (fu and hu are two different romanizations of the same sound in Japanese), which is an anagram of "hajimari tsukuru", which sort of means like "create a beginning." Apparently there was a similar anagram thing with Kishinami Hakuno?

Also it apparently has some sort of poetic connection to a line by Mashu?

(I don't know anything about FGO, most of this is stolen from fan theories that popped up when I googled the name.)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

z0glin Warchief posted:

The more common kanji in that name for "ka" is the one for summer (like if you type in ritsuka in Windows, that's the first thing that comes up; it's both a first name and "the first day of summer"). Also if you flip the order of the actual kanji, it refers to incense sticks, which are associated with Obon, which is associated with summer.

Also it's a pretty feminine name so there are theories it was chosen so it could apply to both male and female versions of the character. Fujimaru, despite being the official last name, sounds a lot like a male first name, which feeds into this theory.

Also if you turn it into romaji it becomes "hujimaru ritsuka" (fu and hu are two different romanizations of the same sound in Japanese), which is an anagram of "hajimari tsukuru", which sort of means like "create a beginning." Apparently there was a similar anagram thing with Kishinami Hakuno?

Also it apparently has some sort of poetic connection to a line by Mashu?

(I don't know anything about FGO, most of this is stolen from fan theories that popped up when I googled the name.)

Ah, I completely forgot about the possibility of a "also could be written with this other kanji" situation.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You know, I'd really prefer a Franken Fran servant over moe Frankenstein monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

HiveCommander posted:

You broke rule number 1 of dealing with Mordred; surely you know better than this :colbert:

Hey, hey, it's all good, I'm not overly praising her, just saying I'm looking forward to seeing her and Kairi kick rear end. Nothin' wrong with appreciating a good fight.

Another interesting bit of the Ritsuka name is that it actually also very close to Ritsuko, which might be what the girl version eventually gets as a canon name. Without the ka, it'd lose the summer connotations, but Ritsuko is a fairly common female name, so.

I pretty much went with Ritsuko for my own character name based on this fact, actually. :v:

Speakin' of, is sharing friend IDs kosher in this thread or are we trying to keep that sort of spam to a minimum? I have a Servant list that most folks should find relatively useful, even if it still has a few gaps (need to level Merlin like what).

Nate RFB posted:

Maybe now that there is a FGO anime I can come to understand what FGO is.

The greatest mobage waifu simulator ever created by man.

(Sadly, the OVA won't really give you a proper impression of the game itself - it's just too short, and the really cool parts of the story come much later. Try playing it if you're really curious, although the experience can be hampered a bit by having to play it alongside a summary or printed script.)

MonsieurChoc posted:

You know, I'd really prefer a Franken Fran servant over moe Frankenstein monster.

You shut your dirty mouth, Fran is a treasure :mad: