Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
That class might get you... 4 coefficients? On your rally license. So that helps. But not nearly as much seat time as having the car at NEFR. Going slow in a G2 car with no experience shouldn't get you in too much trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

That class might get you... 4 coefficients? On your rally license. So that helps. But not nearly as much seat time as having the car at NEFR. Going slow in a G2 car with no experience shouldn't get you in too much trouble.

this

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Does anyone know of a really good machine shop around here that specializes in turbo Subarus? I'm rebuilding my engine now and basically have figured out that the valve/lifter failed due to lovely work by the last shop that my previous mechanic took the head to.

I'd like to get both heads inspected and rebuilt as necessary.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game

SFH1989 posted:

It's cool that they do this, I went to their winter safe course in 2014 and had a great time. I've wanted to go back but haven't really had the money for a full class. Plus I just put some Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2s on my Fiesta which have been really great so far.

I decided to go out in the storm last night just to see how they did, no issues.

Was the winter course mostly focused on safety, or did they cover left foot braking and the like? I'd like to take one of O'neils classes but the rally school is more than I want to spend. I'd be willing to use my own car for the cheaper class, but not if it's a boring defensive driving class where we talk about how often you should check your rearview mirror. I want to learn car control in a safe environment.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

i own every Bionicle posted:

Does anyone know of a really good machine shop around here that specializes in turbo Subarus? I'm rebuilding my engine now and basically have figured out that the valve/lifter failed due to lovely work by the last shop that my previous mechanic took the head to.

I'd like to get both heads inspected and rebuilt as necessary.

Larrys power is the only option.

http://www.larryspower.com/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Konrad posted:

Was the winter course mostly focused on safety, or did they cover left foot braking and the like? I'd like to take one of O'neils classes but the rally school is more than I want to spend. I'd be willing to use my own car for the cheaper class, but not if it's a boring defensive driving class where we talk about how often you should check your rearview mirror. I want to learn car control in a safe environment.

Just do the the open session day and practice LFB and ask the instructors if you don't start getting the hang of it.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

Just do the the open session day and practice LFB and ask the instructors if you don't start getting the hang of it.

I like that idea, it sounds roughly analogous to a track day. I have some autocross experience, so hopefully that's enough to not embarrass myself.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Slow is Fast posted:

Larrys power is the only option.

http://www.larryspower.com/

Thanks, my tuner and a few others have also recommended them. I like how they list the rates for all EJ services on their site.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Konrad posted:

They teach you car control but it's only meant for everyday driving so no left foot braking or pendulum turns. At the end of the day they set up a nice little course but only give you two laps on it so by the time you get into it you're done. The instruction is very good and I did learn a lot.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Thanks, my tuner and a few others have also recommended them. I like how they list the rates for all EJ services on their site.

While you are having the heads done, it's a good time to add aftermarket valve springs. The stock ones are pretty wimpy.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

daslog posted:

While you are having the heads done, it's a good time to add aftermarket valve springs. The stock ones are pretty wimpy.

Cool, thanks for the info. Anything you suggest? Will the better springs just prevent float at higher RPM?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Cool, thanks for the info. Anything you suggest? Will the better springs just prevent float at higher RPM?

Larry's put Manley springs on mine. Yea it's for the float.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The GSC beehives with ti retainers are pretty sweet.

Only really need springs if you are using bigger cams, more boost, and/or revving past like 7500. And if it's a 2.0 you need to swap to shimless buckets too with any of that.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Thanks guys. This is going in an LGT with VF52 with more boost so better springs sounds good.

Also the Larry's Power website is amazing. Clearly their reputation does their advertising for them so no need to hire a slick web guy.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

Alright, I booked a 10:00 AM slot for the practice day. I figure I'll show up early to observe the 9:00 slot and hopefully not embarrass myself being new to this. Any advice on etiquette or what to expect (that wasn't covered on the website) would be welcome.

I'll be bringing my stock Forester XT on snow tires, my open face autocross helmet, warm clothes, and lunch. I'm not sure what else to do besides just show up, just go with the flow, and hopefully have fun.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Thanks guys. This is going in an LGT with VF52 with more boost so better springs sounds good.

Also the Larry's Power website is amazing. Clearly their reputation does their advertising for them so no need to hire a slick web guy.

VF52 is not really what I meant by more boost. I'm talking like 30+ psi and big turbos. With stock cams and that turbo you don't really need it. And you want the softest springs that don't float, otherwise you're putting unneeded higher forces on the valve seats, cams, buckets, retainers.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Konrad posted:

Alright, I booked a 10:00 AM slot for the practice day. I figure I'll show up early to observe the 9:00 slot and hopefully not embarrass myself being new to this. Any advice on etiquette or what to expect (that wasn't covered on the website) would be welcome.

I'll be bringing my stock Forester XT on snow tires, my open face autocross helmet, warm clothes, and lunch. I'm not sure what else to do besides just show up, just go with the flow, and hopefully have fun.

What year is your XT? I'm thinking about doing it too with my 04 on winterforces.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Konrad posted:

Extra socks and boots. A gallon of water.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

https://teamoneil.com/product/open-practice-day/
$20 / hour for practice runs on their really basic slalom and skid pad course. In snow, it's very safe. I could see a plastic bumper getting displaced if you really wanged it into one of the banks of the slalom.

Went to this. Was awesome. But! there were no "their cars" to use.
I misread this: "try your hand at winter driving in your own car on one of our open skidpad and slalom areas."
as: "in your own car or one of our own"
So it was only run what you brung, which makes more sense.

Half the pretty short course (just over 60s in our slippery Charger on snow tires) was glare ice. Very safe but not that fast.
This was the north skidpad and short uphill, not the south skidpad with the longer, narrower straight. No offshoots or jaunts into the forest.
I think they picked the shortest configuration for simplest operation -- each car did pretty much a full run before the next car was waved through. Any mistakes and recovery time wouldn't screw up the next driver's run. The organizers would send in the plow truck to push some snow onto the ice and reset cones as needed.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

I showed up early, first one there, and got some bonus time since the 9:00 slot only had a few cars. I got probably 20 runs in for my forty bucks, easily worth while, though I wish there had been instructors available. I'd happily pay a bit more for that on a similar hourly basis. I was surprised at how casual everything was. Most of the participants were driving their street cars and there was only one rally-prepped race car, an RX-7. The organizers didn't seem super neurotic about safety, but everyone I saw was responsible. One guy was tearing it up for two hours in a quad-cab Tacoma that had huge Stoptech brakes, and he said was supercharged. His 8-10ish year old daughter was riding in a booster seat in the back. I think SCCA autocross folks would've flipped their poo poo over that.

The slalom on the outbound leg was my favorite. I found I could get through it in a big controlled pendulum/tank slapper and set myself up to rotate around the U-turn around the last cone, which was all ice. Without the pendulum I'd pretty much just understeer and struggle to get the car pointed in the right direction.

shy boy from chess club posted:

What year is your XT? I'm thinking about doing it too with my 04 on winterforces.

2007, 171K miles. I'm the original owner.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think we crossed paths on that descent back into Littleton! I remember thinking the XT with rally fog lights must be coming from the school.

I agree about needing momentum to slide around the bowl of the uphill U-turn, but without front power, 90% of the time, I was giving the last breath of gas with my rear wheels on snow and the front wheels cut over but hopelessly pushing on ice. In general, balancing rotation on the very limited grip available was tricky with the automatic and torque converter in the way. We rarely carried enough speed into the big right to be able to keep drifting the whole way around.
The most fun for me was the downhill slalom that had enough grip to get any speed. The snow bank was there at the end of it, but it was so grippy that any mistakes had plenty of time to straighten out.

Yeah, Team O'Neil is casual about safety, what with their loaner skateboard and ski helmets. I'd say it's appropriate to the level of risk the course offers -- I've seen cars get up to 60mph and digging huge ruts in NER rallyx events, and that is definitely more dangerous than here. Wyatt was running the plow truck, and he was the only guy I knew who was an instructor. No instructors available for even a demo lap, yeah.
Ballsiest driving was from either a tuned B5 Audi or a Fiat 500.

Two Focus RSes came out, though only one ran the course. It was driven fairly timidly, unfortunately. Didn't get to see Drift Mode do its thing on the last turn.

Coolest vehicle there (just a local checking it out):

Glamor shot (unless Team O'Neil puts out their pics, we weren't able to get any shots of the Charger with much countersteer):

Right entry into the bowl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHHIPzwMy4Q

Left entry into the bowl (with bonus seat belt buckle not working complaint from the car):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUI3CUs5oTE&t=5s

e:
Also, lol, I just realized that we were supposed to go through the
code:
>     < 
cones in the uphill slalom. They were down for a while and I was like, why isn't the cone truck coming around to fix this?

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 15, 2017

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Konrad posted:

2007, 171K miles. I'm the original owner.

Nice color, is that the stock bumper for 07? Im the second owner of mine, just about to turn 206k and still solid as the day is long.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

I think we crossed paths on that descent back into Littleton! I remember thinking the XT with rally fog lights must be coming from the school.

I agree about needing momentum to slide around the bowl of the uphill U-turn, but without front power, 90% of the time, I was giving the last breath of gas with my rear wheels on snow and the front wheels cut over but hopelessly pushing on ice. In general, balancing rotation on the very limited grip available was tricky with the automatic and torque converter in the way. We rarely carried enough speed into the big right to be able to keep drifting the whole way around.
The most fun for me was the downhill slalom that had enough grip to get any speed. The snow bank was there at the end of it, but it was so grippy that any mistakes had plenty of time to straighten out.

Yeah, Team O'Neil is casual about safety, what with their loaner skateboard and ski helmets. I'd say it's appropriate to the level of risk the course offers -- I've seen cars get up to 60mph and digging huge ruts in NER rallyx events, and that is definitely more dangerous than here. Wyatt was running the plow truck, and he was the only guy I knew who was an instructor. No instructors available for even a demo lap, yeah.
Ballsiest driving was from either a tuned B5 Audi or a Fiat 500.

Two Focus RSes came out, though only one ran the course. It was driven fairly timidly, unfortunately. Didn't get to see Drift Mode do its thing on the last turn.

Coolest vehicle there (just a local checking it out):

Glamor shot (unless Team O'Neil puts out their pics, we weren't able to get any shots of the Charger with much countersteer):

Right entry into the bowl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHHIPzwMy4Q

Left entry into the bowl (with bonus seat belt buckle not working complaint from the car):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUI3CUs5oTE&t=5s

e:
Also, lol, I just realized that we were supposed to go through the
code:
>     < 
cones in the uphill slalom. They were down for a while and I was like, why isn't the cone truck coming around to fix this?

Yeah, I remember seeing you and thinking you were a cop until I saw the out of state plates.

One thing I was happy to find was how smooth the surface was; no washboards or potholes, so I never felt like I was really beating on the car. Probably the most strenuous part was the abrupt transition from a slick surface to a grippy one on the skid pad, but they smoothed that out with more snow as the day went on.

They didn't start taking pictures until my runs were over, unfortunately.

Nice color, is that the stock bumper for 07? Im the second owner of mine, just about to turn 206k and still solid as the day is long.

Thanks. Yeah, the fog-light-less front bumper was only offered on the Sport package in 2007, and 2008. WRB was also only offered on that package in those years. I was lucky that when I was in a position to buy my first new car that there were good options available. It took some looking to find what I wanted, but this car had been sitting on Subaru of Keene's lot for quite a while. Apparently it's not something their normal customer is interested in. A WRB Sport XT with a manual is uncommon enough that they can be worth good money on the used market, but mine has rust issues. I just had a patch welded into the rocker panel to get my inspection sticker in December. I might only get another year or two out of 'er.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

drat that's too bad about the rust. Cool otherwise, I didn't know about the sport package and stuff.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

drat that's too bad about the rust. Cool otherwise, I didn't know about the sport package and stuff.

The Sports bumper is super loving awesome. We didn't get them at all in Canada, I think, so they are a very sought-after part here.

I believe the mould is originally from the JDM Forester STI.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

From pictures it definitely looks a lot like the STI bumper. Also they are all that color blue, haha. That bumper owns.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Yeah, the Sport package doesn't even show up as an option in places like RockAuto but the fancypants XT Premium is close enough for mechanical stuff.

I've had rear quarter panel rust for a while, but I didn't notice the rocker hole until it was big enough to put my hand into because it was fully underneath the car - must've rotted from the inside out. The other side looks fine.

Hey, I made a cameo here: http://oppositelock.kinja.com/the-most-fun-you-can-have-in-an-hour-for-40-bucks-1791221026

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Just signed up for autocross on April 9th. I am guessing loaner helmets won't fit my fat goon head so I will have to go buy one. Anyone else going to the winter shake down?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Forgive my ignorance, where is the winter shakedown? I race with CART and sometimes the FCSCC.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

From what I read it is just an event for people to run their cars and make sure everything is setup as expected. A number of novices myself included going along just to get some experience.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm assuming you're talking about this event?

https://www.facebook.com/events/1639003323073643/?ti=cl

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Yes that one.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If I were looking to get someone to replace a caliper, run a brake cable, and mount a parking brake to a Seven clone, does anyone know a guy who could do it for cheap?
Close to Boston is better.

It's the kind of thing that is achingly close to something I'd be willing to do, especially given how easily the car should be to put on jack stands, but I'd still rather err on the side of having a pro do it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Anyone running Thompson LeMons on 8/12?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
One of my coworkers might be, not sure what their team number is but they run an 80s prelude I think.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Anyone know a cagebuilder local or close to Boston? We're looking to have a couple additions put on our cage. I shot an emal to Bill at Cage This.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Anyone know a cagebuilder local or close to Boston? We're looking to have a couple additions put on our cage. I shot an emal to Bill at Cage This.

Have Bill do it, he does great work. Did my cage and it's amazing. Best to call him.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Do you have his number? The contact page has neither email nor phone: http://cagethis.com/contact/
I found his email by searching, but no look with phone.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 12, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Do you have his number? The contact page has neither email nor phone: http://cagethis.com/contact/
I found his email by searching, but no look with phone.

Ok, got ahold of him via (617) 771 5779, which I got with a bit more time on Google.

He's fine with that build.

Now we need a tow solution. Friend from Type 65 project has an enclosed trailer that he said he could help with, but it's kind of overkill for this.
Anyone have a truck/trailer they could rent us for half a day to get the weld done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I don't know if any of you fellows are into this poo poo, but next weekend is the annual Northeast Rockbusters historic construction equipment event in Plainfield CT.

http://www.northeastrockbusters.com/UpcomingEvents.php

It's basically where a bunch of rich boomers bring their big boy toys together to dig in the dirt, and if you like construction equipment and/or old things with engines it's pretty great.

There were also some great old rigs used to haul this stuff around including the likes of Autocar and Brockway.

Here's a couple videos I took at the event last year. Forgive the quality, it was on my phone. I plan to bring my real camera this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIPfE4FU7bE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_cZl5M2QYs

• Locked thread