Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The fog is just an effect of terrain spawning in by the engine. It's a lazy compromise. While I don't think the design is inherently bad, Subnauticas "cube" shaped world just feels really weird to me after 30 hours of playing. The abyss at the edges is just so unnatural and weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

7c Nickel posted:

The people who said fog weren't trying to justify anything, there is literally fog covering the islands so you can't see them. You can still look for the fog itself because it doesn't blend into the background perfectly though.

It's special fog that completely disappears and reappears based on your proximity to the island

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

If they're going to require you to scan a multi-purpose room then they might as well make the floating island visible so new people actually know to loving go there. I didn't and I ended up suicide-diving into the jellyshroom caves just to build a decent base.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

The fog is just an effect of terrain spawning in by the engine. It's a lazy compromise. While I don't think the design is inherently bad, Subnauticas "cube" shaped world just feels really weird to me after 30 hours of playing. The abyss at the edges is just so unnatural and weird.

Nah there's something there if you know where to look, it's just so slight you need to know where to look to see anything.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

There was a wreck here last night, there's still a giant sparking mess where it use to be, but everything else is completely gone :psyduck:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

When people talk about a floating island is there an actual island floating in the sky above the water, or do they mean platforms suspended in the water that are covered in floaters? I found an area with a bunch of those but did not see anything useful in the area. But I didn't look around for more than a minute or two because I was running out of batteries

Ion Mage
Dec 21, 2006

Digirat posted:

When people talk about a floating island is there an actual island floating in the sky above the water, or do they mean platforms suspended in the water that are covered in floaters? I found an area with a bunch of those but did not see anything useful in the area. But I didn't look around for more than a minute or two because I was running out of batteries

Its an island that is floating on the surface of the water. That is to say, its not a mountain whose peak is above the sea level, like the vast majority of islands in the world. So, it wouldn't really be different from a normal island, except you can literally dive under it on one side, drive completely straight through, and emerge on the other side.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Digirat posted:

Yeah, there's a zone in the northern center of the map where you can find a bunch of giant chunks of rock suspended mid-ocean by giant floaters, including one which has a wreck on it. This place isn't to be confused with the actual Floating Island, which is an enormous chunk of rock suspended by a very large number of giant floaters such that it floats on the surface and supports some dry-land vegetation. It's located generally south from the Shoals, above the Grand Reef.

There are three different abandoned bases on this island, which you can scan in order to get the blueprints for the MPR and the Observatory, as well as indoor and outdoor grow beds, at least one kind of plant pot, and some other sundries. Also the beds and pots have edible vegetation growing in them; cut 'em up with your knife to get samples or seeds to bring back to your habitat. Personally I prefer the Marblemelons; every one of my bases gets a bioreactor as an internal backup power supply, and it has a pot full of melons planted right in the same room for fuel. I haven't had to rely on fish power since I figured this out in my first game.

It does kind of turn Alien Containment setups into a vanity project which functions as an additional layer of food/water/power redundancy, but that doesn't stop me from installing a mixed tank of peepers and bladderfish in every outpost as well. So far, every time I've died in this game that wasn't from getting stuck on geometry in a wreck or failing to avoid Reapers it's been from a lack of preparedness, so I never go anywhere or build anything without one or more backup plans.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So does anyone know anything about the ETA for the new map system aka "terraforming removal"?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Totally next month guys we promise. Not at all like the last twenty four months when it was next month, this month is different.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's on the roadmap but you guys keep circle jerking each other over them always saying "next month". That's not the case.

Performance issues will be the last thing they do before 1.0

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Almost as if it's a joke based on past experience.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
People see "Remove Terraforming" in the roadmap. Devs say Terraforming is contributing to bloated save files. Everyone jerks each other off saying that removing Terraforming will fix everything. "The Developers PROMISED!" Devs delay and take more time with it because the last thing they need to deal with are a bunch of internet whiners getting all mad in every google search result the game isn't perfect after terraforming is no longer possible.

It's exhausting watching people throw a little fit every once in awhile about it. Take it easy. Projected Mid-May 1.0 release.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Everyone already knows that.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't know about that.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Considering the game can be nigh unplayable due to pop in and general lag at times, most of which tends to get blamed on terraforming, I can understand people being unhappy that the thing that's supposed to make the game playable again keeps getting pushed back.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Can someone explain this terraforming thing to me?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
At one point there were tools in the game you could use to raise/lower/whatever the terrain. I think its still possible to dig sand away with just your hands but I'm not sure.

Anyway, something about how the game saves and then subsequently reads these terrain changes causes the game to lag horribly and worsens the pop-in. It also apparently bloats save files to a ridiculous degree, so the devs took the tools out to sort of stop layers doing it. At least one creature (rockpunchers, a sort of lobster-mantis shrimp hybrid) got cut because terraforming was supposed to be their thing.

The devs have promised to remove terraforming completely, and stated that as soon as this happens a lot of the performance issues will disappear. For various reasons they keep pushing it back and some people get understandably annoyed this critical fix is continuously put off.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 12, 2017

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Removing terraforming will also erase all old saves and it'll fix a lot of bugs because the terrain tends to clip through now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Section Z posted:

:same:

I keep seeing people trying to justify it as Fog or "Clearly they have a cloaking device!", but I'm hoping the devs don't take the lazy way out and stick us with Superman 64 effects just because they can get away with calling a bad draw distance "immersive".

I don't need a lovingly rendered perfect model at all times, but an obvious visual indication that "Hey there's a goddamned mountain over there" from your lifepod would be great. Even if it was just a shadowy outline, rather than some faint graphical effect only a guy who already knew a mountain was there in the first place would ever take as an sign.

I again don't think that would be a good idea, both islands have a shitload of useful stuff on them that would make them strongly conflict with the shallows as a starting position.

The point of the shallows is they get you used to underwater, are safe, and have starting gear and resources in them. The islands don't have that balance but they both have resources you could use to live on, you just wouldn't make any actual progress.

I think it's much better if people don't discover them until later in the game, the game points you to both of them eventually because the ship tells you where the gun is, and the gun island teleports you to the other island. If you follow the plot stuff you should run across both but it's better if people get the idea they're going to be living in the ocean first. Putting two obvious landmasses visible is conflicting with that especially as both islands fit better a little later in the progression.

Start in the shallows, find or build a radiation suit, explore the aurora, that's the ideal progression in terms of making actual progress in the game.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 13, 2017

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

FrickenMoron posted:

It's grade A bullshit that the Islands are only visible from like 200 meters away.

Whats really funny is you can see them above the water if you're underwater from way far away :eng101:

I think it's probably a low priority bug but who knows :shrug:

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

LonsomeSon posted:

There are three different abandoned bases on this island, which you can scan in order to get the blueprints for the MPR and the Observatory, as well as indoor and outdoor grow beds, at least one kind of plant pot, and some other sundries. Also the beds and pots have edible vegetation growing in them; cut 'em up with your knife to get samples or seeds to bring back to your habitat. Personally I prefer the Marblemelons; every one of my bases gets a bioreactor as an internal backup power supply, and it has a pot full of melons planted right in the same room for fuel. I haven't had to rely on fish power since I figured this out in my first game.

Sorry to totally go on about this, but I just worked it out about two days ago when I was messing with my bioreactor. Marblemelons are pretty good, they generate 110 power per sample and take up 4 slots. I preferred using Spore Sacks. They generate 25 power, but only take up one slot, and they're grown in water, so you can grow them without taking up precious interior space.

That said, Reginald fish generate 220 power and take up one space, so they're way better than either of the plant options. I haven't tried hatching eggs to use any of the larger things yet, but as far as I can tell, Reginalds are going to be the best option.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Right, they're not optimal in terms of energy density but thus far four melons will grow to maturity more rapidly than the reactor can consume the three that I'm going to pick, making it an effectively infinite fuel source for the bioreactor's pittance of power as long as I keep up with it properly.

I get most of my power from thermal generators, they're a much more rapid power source which doesn't require any attention or upkeep once established. Every outpost is linked to at least two, sometimes on pretty long runs. Got to find something to do with all of this garbage gold!

The bioreactors are part of the general approach I've been taking with the game, to overbuild and overprepare for everything. In the event I was somehow trapped in one of the outposts and the link to the thermals was cut, I would still be able to keep life support and the fabricator working with the one reactor. I considered adding another MPR with peeper-and-bladderfish-stocked alien containment to the standard outpost plan but the emergency melon reactors are already a bit much. Maybe if I'm ever settling in a Reaper haunt for some reason?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

LonsomeSon posted:

Every outpost is linked to at least two, sometimes on pretty long runs. Got to find something to do with all of this garbage gold!

I'm hoping they'll eventually let me use 20 gold to make myself a giant golden throne, or 50 to build a huge gold statue of myself!

And yeah, my current base has 3 solar panels, a bioreactor and a nuclear reactor. Got to have those backups. I get my fish out of an Alien Containment tank, which produces them way faster than I consume them for food and power.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I again don't think that would be a good idea, both islands have a shitload of useful stuff on them that would make them strongly conflict with the shallows as a starting position.

The point of the shallows is they get you used to underwater, are safe, and have starting gear and resources in them. The islands don't have that balance but they both have resources you could use to live on, you just wouldn't make any actual progress.

I think it's much better if people don't discover them until later in the game, the game points you to both of them eventually because the ship tells you where the gun is, and the gun island teleports you to the other island. If you follow the plot stuff you should run across both but it's better if people get the idea they're going to be living in the ocean first. Putting two obvious landmasses visible is conflicting with that especially as both islands fit better a little later in the progression.

Start in the shallows, find or build a radiation suit, explore the aurora, that's the ideal progression in terms of making actual progress in the game.

The problem is the multipurpose room. You can't get one from the aurora, so your only options are to find the various hidden bases, the easiest of which to actually get to is on the floating island. Without the multipurpose room your base is going to be ridiculous stretched out mess of corridors and you can't even build some stuff in those.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Gothsheep posted:

Sorry to totally go on about this, but I just worked it out about two days ago when I was messing with my bioreactor. Marblemelons are pretty good, they generate 110 power per sample and take up 4 slots. I preferred using Spore Sacks. They generate 25 power, but only take up one slot, and they're grown in water, so you can grow them without taking up precious interior space.

That said, Reginald fish generate 220 power and take up one space, so they're way better than either of the plant options. I haven't tried hatching eggs to use any of the larger things yet, but as far as I can tell, Reginalds are going to be the best option.

Lantern fruit only make 65 power for 4 squares, but require less planting space and you don't have to deal with constant replanting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Carcer posted:

The problem is the multipurpose room. You can't get one from the aurora, so your only options are to find the various hidden bases, the easiest of which to actually get to is on the floating island. Without the multipurpose room your base is going to be ridiculous stretched out mess of corridors and you can't even build some stuff in those.

The multipurpose room could probably be added back into the starting set, or possibly could be added to the aurora.

But it's not super necessary, the only thing you're likely to find before the MPR is the bioreactor and assuming you're in the shallows, solar power is quite sufficient.

Everything else you can put in tubes or just live out of the lifepod. Bases are nice aesthetically but there's very little need for one until you start going deeper and are looking to start modifying vehicles. For that the MPR provides space-efficient food options and alternative power sources.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Thinking about it there's shockingly little to build in this game. Once you've built some lockers, a power source, a constructor, an upgrade station and the vehicle bay theres nothing left, and most of those you could build in a cyclops if you really wanted to.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Carcer posted:

Thinking about it there's shockingly little to build in this game. Once you've built some lockers, a power source, a constructor, an upgrade station and the vehicle bay theres nothing left, and most of those you could build in a cyclops if you really wanted to.

Which is part of what makes gating literally the only basic "Room" in the game that much funnier. Because they didn't have anything else TO gate, to appease people saying there wasn't enough progression. So instead of giving us more cool stuff/fixing existing stuff (Hello, scanner room), they (had to?) just cut the closest thing at hand.

This also made the original long crafting timers that much more jarring. Because crafting timers are for something with a robust crafting and building system, not so much "You have normal, AND Glass hallways! Oh and also literally one basic room type." when not making specific utilities like the Moonpool, or maybe an observatory for decorative reasons.

EDIT: I mean, unlocking choice office furniture is as hard to do as unlocking a nuclear reactor.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 13, 2017

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Section Z posted:

Which is part of what makes gating literally the only basic "Room" in the game that much funnier. Because they didn't have anything else TO gate, to appease people saying there wasn't enough progression. So instead of giving us more cool stuff/fixing existing stuff (Hello, scanner room), they (had to?) just cut the closest thing at hand.

This also made the original long crafting timers that much more jarring. Because crafting timers are for something with a robust crafting and building system, not so much "You have normal, AND Glass hallways! Oh and also literally one basic room type." when not making specific utilities like the Moonpool, or maybe an observatory for decorative reasons.

EDIT: I mean, unlocking choice office furniture is as hard to do as unlocking a nuclear reactor.

Most of the furniture takes longer to scan. Quasi-weapons that harness super-advanced physics to completely shatter the Newtonian rules? Done in a jiffy. A plain piece of metal and plastic? Gonna be here a while.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
To be fair the precursor stuff seems to have added some more progression to the game.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Whats the precursor update added building wise?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
What's a similar game to scratch the build/survival itch as this? Preferably complete or mostly complete.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Plek posted:

Great news! Reapers are unexpectedly quiet this patch, so now you can feel super alive when you spin around in your seamoth just in time to see a reaper's jaws 5m away.

There was a bug with scanner room causing quiet reapers. You need to dismantle the scanner to fix it. It's weird and dumb. But I kinda liked the quiet reapers.

FrickenMoron posted:

The textures look so lovely too. I really hope they fix that. It really breaks the immersion to hit this 90 degree wall. It reminds me of loving around in Terragen, making maps for the original Operation Flashpoint.

I have not played the game for a few months but I am keeping a close eye on the development. The reason being, I have dumped maybe 40 hours into this game so far over 3 playthroughs and am at the stage where I just don't want to start over. I am totally onboard the terraform patch hope train. But I will probably wait until release to re-install the game.

And that would actually be my advice to anyone considering buying this game. Hold off until release. I am very happy with it so far and feel like I got my money's worth, but it's so close to release and a few key problems need to be addressed. I don't think there is any point getting the game now, knowing you will need to start all over again. A buddy of mine got it and I watched him on steam messing around the precursor base which looks neat. But I feel like we are in that middle part of early access where nothing majorly new is going to be added and it's time to step back. I might be in the minority on this. But with only a few months to go, I am happy to wait. Maybe play the Forest for a while. poo poo my pants on land for a change.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Mr. Crow posted:

What's a similar game to scratch the build/survival itch as this? Preferably complete or mostly complete.

In 3D, there isn't a lot that's complete unless you go way back to Minecraft. You've got options in 2D, Terraria and Don't Starve are my favorites.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I was messing around in Creation mode before discovering the beta has a ton more content, and I've switched over to Survival mode on that. I'm doing decently (forgot to eat a few times, whoops) but I've encountered a new problem: I've got two full deployable chests full of batteries, and about 75% of those are spent. I'm 50% on a battery charger but I can't find another half. Any suggestions on where to find one? A power cell charger and where to find a moon bay schematics would also be really helpful.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Deployable Chests? Yuck. Build a base with lockers.

You can use this Subnautica Wiki page on Fragments to find whatever you need.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Lonos Oboe posted:

There was a bug with scanner room causing quiet reapers. You need to dismantle the scanner to fix it. It's weird and dumb. But I kinda liked the quiet reapers.

Thanks! But I have never built a scanner room. Ever. Are they actually useful?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

Deployable Chests? Yuck. Build a base with lockers.

You can use this Subnautica Wiki page on Fragments to find whatever you need.

It took me a while to find the multi purpose room, so I didn't have any base stuff down yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Mr. Crow posted:

Ark is probably what you're looking for.