Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Grandmaster.flv posted:

I also suspect I actually ruffled some feathers with the anime comment and for that I do apologize lol
I was unaware of the BJJ/anime relationship and hence not angered. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So in good news...

My BJJ/MMA club has just signed the lease for its own space! We'll be moving off of the TKD/Boxercize club's couch and into our own three practice room gym with showers and poo poo. It's a bit of a risk because we're in a small market, but it's our head instructor's current lifelong dream, and we figure that we can keep the doors open with some good planning. As of Jan 1 we should be offering a pretty full and varied schedule which even includes wrestling classes! Over Christmas we're running a few work bees to get everything together.

Anyone ever go through this kind of thing with a club before? Any lessons learned?

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Grandmaster.flv posted:

You took your girlfriend to a gym presumably filled with athletic men that like to dominate with their hips and you are a goon that likes anime.
Victim blaming is dumb but I laughed at this because it's SA. The two striking coaches at the other MMA gym in town had a falling out because one coach was loving the other coache's wife, who was also training at the gym. Apparently it had been going on for a year before it was found out and it really hosed up their club for a bit. When I first moved to town that MMA gym was only a 5 min bike ride from me and had great gi instruction but since the two striking coaches made me uneasy I chose to drive 15 mins away to the other MMA gym that did mostly no-gi. Glad I dodged that drama bullshit.

Anyway my point is hoes are gonna ho no matter if you're a goony anime lover or athletic buff socialite. So yeah, victim blaming is still dumb.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Grandmaster.flv posted:

I also suspect I actually ruffled some feathers with the anime comment and for that I do apologize lol

apology accepted [sheathing katana] ... for now...

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Just lol if you don't buy all your clothes at https://www.justsaiyan.co

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CommonShore posted:

Anyone ever go through this kind of thing with a club before? Any lessons learned?

How far is the move? If it affects people's travel to the gym, you're gonna lose members. The club needs to promote, promote, promote. Offer good incentives to bring people in. Have the lower level classes designed so people can be more casual and not feel guilty about missing classes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

How far is the move? If it affects people's travel to the gym, you're gonna lose members. The club needs to promote, promote, promote. Offer good incentives to bring people in. Have the lower level classes designed so people can be more casual and not feel guilty about missing classes.

Only two and a half blocks! We have better parking available now and actually some curb appeal on a reasonably busy street, next to one of the town's nicer pubs :getin:

And I guess they're doing that kind of stuff. They're adding punch-card sales for individual bulk classes.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Siivola posted:

omg

time to power up for 20 mins before a roll

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

CommonShore posted:

So in good news...

My BJJ/MMA club has just signed the lease for its own space! We'll be moving off of the TKD/Boxercize club's couch and into our own three practice room gym with showers and poo poo. It's a bit of a risk because we're in a small market, but it's our head instructor's current lifelong dream, and we figure that we can keep the doors open with some good planning. As of Jan 1 we should be offering a pretty full and varied schedule which even includes wrestling classes! Over Christmas we're running a few work bees to get everything together.

Yeah, all the clubs I've been to have gone through that.

January/February there will be a lot of new people who want to change their lives but they will be gone March/April. Tell them it's a long process and start hammering that down early? Same thing happens in April/May for the second time. People freak out "gaaaahh, I should have abs for the summer" train for a while and notice it won't work out like that and quit if you don't talk to them.

As for the Boxercize girls keep telling them it's what all the hot Victoria's Secret models do - because it's what they actually do, so they might continue training. (Not in actual boxing but you get what I mean.)

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Siivola posted:

I can't believe it, IRL Goku pants...

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I've actually been surprised how few people we get in January. We get out largest membership bump in May when recent grads/interns start moving into town that have trained previously. We'll lose a few in August, but gain a few grad students. Our average new member who sticks with it doesn't seem to actually be fresh white belts.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I just got your user name. :noice:

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
How easy is it to finish an arm bar to the point where the arm is broken? I witnessed a fight on NYE between two people who had no idea how to fight and as it went to the ground one the one on the bottom was full mounted and put him arm up dead straight and it was an absolute gift of an arm bar, and it got me thinking about how easy it is to actually snap the arm. I have tapped people with arm bars and with Kimura's and stuff I can totally feel the arm give way and be snappable, but arm bars don't seem like the arm would actually snap, just do serious damage and cause a lot of pain.

Also what's the protocol for getting in a fight, would it be ok to break someone's arm, I'm not planning on but if I was the guy on top I would of seriously been tempted to do it and end the fight that way.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

willie_dee posted:

Also what's the protocol for getting in a fight, would it be ok to break someone's arm, I'm not planning on but if I was the guy on top I would of seriously been tempted to do it and end the fight that way.

I am not a lawyer and could be really wrong, but you have to have a controlled and proportionate response to have self defense immunity. If the person has stopped being a threat to you, you can't hide behind self defense. "not being a threat anymore" isn't clearly defined, and this is also further complicated by each state having their own set of laws.

Example: Drunk dude about your size pulls a knife, you double leg him, get mount, and break his arm.[without getting stabbed weirdly enough] You are probably in the clear.

Drunk dude about your size takes a wild swing at you with his fist, you double leg him, get mount, he doesn't really struggle and you decide to break his arm. You may be criminally/civilly liable.

Drunk dude pulls a knife, threatens you, but is behind a window he can't reasonably get around without giving you enough time to run away and you instead pull your gun shoot him in both knee caps and break his arm. You will be liable.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 3, 2017

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Anyways with the bizarre content, mad willie

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Whats your mental state been like lately willie? Like with all the steroids and general willie d baggage.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

willie_dee posted:

How easy is it to finish an arm bar to the point where the arm is broken? I witnessed a fight on NYE between two people who had no idea how to fight and as it went to the ground one the one on the bottom was full mounted and put him arm up dead straight and it was an absolute gift of an arm bar, and it got me thinking about how easy it is to actually snap the arm. I have tapped people with arm bars and with Kimura's and stuff I can totally feel the arm give way and be snappable, but arm bars don't seem like the arm would actually snap, just do serious damage and cause a lot of pain.

Just buy running shoes, man.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Best advice I've ever had if you're a trained person who got into a street fight, no matter what you did:

"Officer/your honour - I was afraid for my personal safety."

Don't give any other answers or statements beyond that. That you felt that you were acting in self defense is more important than the specifics of who was being aggressive in what ways and what decisions you made in the moment.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

willie_dee posted:

Do Not Fight but arms are supremely easy to snap in twain as we humans are fragile beasts

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Novum posted:

Whats your mental state been like lately willie? Like with all the steroids and general willie d baggage.

I don't want to make this thread about that, I'll post up in the steroid thread about my recent adventures when related.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Novum posted:

general willie dbagg-age.

Oooh, you gonna just sit there and take that, willie? Sit there and not drive your hips through that elbow?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
its very hard to break the arm if you do it wrong and pretty easy (in effort) if you do it right.

But as Draculino says:

"I've seen a guy fight with'a broken arm. I never see a guy fight asleep"

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

its very hard to break the arm if you do it wrong and pretty easy (in effort) if you do it right.

But as Draculino says:

"I've seen a guy fight with'a broken arm. I never see a guy fight asleep"

I have never put someone properly to sleep and I'd hate to do it first time in a fight and accidentally have killed them. I know it takes a long time but if I've not practiced it I don't want to try it live, that and I'm sure in a fight my brain won't be thinking all that much and I'll be going on instinct and muscle memory alone. My question was more because when you land a Kimura once your past the point of no return it's really easy to see how you could snap it and do serious damage, whereas when I have an arm bar they sit comfortably in it until I figure out where I need to be pushing and which way the wrist should be and when it goes and you get the tap there's still resistance. Obviously in training your going soft as well so I'm sure that makes a difference.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
It takes minutes of sustained choking for long term damage to manifest iirc and after someone hasn't been struggling for even just a few moments its pretty easy to tell they're out. Furthermore I'm worried that you've been envisioning yourself in violent fantasy scenarios in a presumably non-competitive environment and I encourage you to re-evaluate why you feel the need to.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Thirty seconds of a blood choke can cause permanent brain damage and definitely kill (plus eggshell issues abound). One of the signs of damage occurring is rigidity, which can feel like they are resisting further, their eyes don't necessarily close, and people still breathe. It can look like an opponent is still resisting the choke, even though they are completely out and experiencing brain damage. Not something for someone pumped up on adrenaline to call.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 4, 2017

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

willie_dee posted:

I have never put someone properly to sleep and I'd hate to do it first time in a fight and accidentally have killed them. I know it takes a long time but if I've not practiced it I don't want to try it live, that and I'm sure in a fight my brain won't be thinking all that much and I'll be going on instinct and muscle memory alone. My question was more because when you land a Kimura once your past the point of no return it's really easy to see how you could snap it and do serious damage, whereas when I have an arm bar they sit comfortably in it until I figure out where I need to be pushing and which way the wrist should be and when it goes and you get the tap there's still resistance. Obviously in training your going soft as well so I'm sure that makes a difference.

you need to train your fukken brain-jitsu my man

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Neon Belly posted:

Thirty seconds of a blood choke can cause permanent brain damage and definitely kill. One of the signs of damage occurring is rigidity, which can feel like they are resisting further, their eyes don't necessarily close, and people still breathe. It can look like an opponent is still resisting the choke, even though they are completely out and experiencing brain damage. Not something for someone pumped up on adrenaline to call.

Yea this is what I was under the impression it was like, didn't some kid kill his younger brother at a party messing around doing this because that's exactly what happened? Horrific. I've got a guillotine that works if I'm on the way down and they aren't across me but I'd never put it on and not take it off, just use it to roll over into mount.

Novum posted:

It takes minutes of sustained choking for long term damage to manifest iirc and after someone hasn't been struggling for even just a few moments its pretty easy to tell they're out. Furthermore I'm worried that you've been envisioning yourself in violent fantasy scenarios in a presumably non-competitive environment and I encourage you to re-evaluate why you feel the need to.

I've seen a few fights recently and have thought about what I should do should things get out of hand, especially now I'm big enough and mostly sober at all times that if someone is getting too hurt or someone is being horrible that I'd be able to say something and not be afraid should anything escalate.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Ok man. Just making sure you're ok.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I hope you stop training.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

ICHIBAHN posted:

I hope you stop training.

be a role model

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Neon Belly posted:

One of the signs of damage occurring is rigidity, which can feel like they are resisting further, their eyes don't necessarily close, and people still breathe. It can look like an opponent is still resisting the choke, even though they are completely out and experiencing brain damage.

Yeah, this can be really weird. Combined with the gurgling sounds people make if they go out and are still getting choked, it can really seem like someone is still awake.

quote:

eggshell issues
I don't know this term :downs: , does that mean its more susceptible to future damage?

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 10, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Kekekela posted:

I don't know this term :downs: , does that mean its more susceptible to future damage?

It's a legal term -- eggshell skull. If someone had a very fragile body and you hurt them doing something that wouldn't hurt a normal person, the injury is on you even if you didn't know about their condition. I dunno if the gym waiver would change things.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

It's a legal term -- eggshell skull. If someone had a very fragile body and you hurt them doing something that wouldn't hurt a normal person, the injury is on you even if you didn't know about their condition. I dunno if the gym waiver would change things.

I remember reading one news story that was literally this, a guy had an undetected generic condition so part of his skull was one third normal thickness. Someone got in a scuffle, whacked him with an umbrella, and whoops, sentenced for manslaughter.

Running shoes.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Is there a reason different grappling orgs schedule their competitions for the same day? I'm torn three ways between Good Fight in Nyack NY, Grappling Industries in Manhattan, and NAGA in Philly all on Feb 4th. Then besides one UAEJJF event later in the month I haven't heard of anything in the area for months after that.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

P-Mack posted:

I remember reading one news story that was literally this, a guy had an undetected generic condition so part of his skull was one third normal thickness. Someone got in a scuffle, whacked him with an umbrella, and whoops, sentenced for manslaughter.

Running shoes.

But if eggshell skull dude comes at you, and you hit them in self defence (reasonably), is it on you that he died when you didn't mean to kill him and you didn't think your punch would, death would be an over reaction and seen as unreasonable, but punching someone would be reasonable.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

willie_dee posted:

But if eggshell skull dude comes at you, and you hit them in self defence (reasonably), is it on you that he died when you didn't mean to kill him and you didn't think your punch would, death would be an over reaction and seen as unreasonable, but punching someone would be reasonable.

While I did not immediately find a state case on point, the court of military appeals has, in that situation, found that self defense still works even if you kill eggshell skull dude as a result. U.S. v Jones, 3 M.J. 279 (C.M.A. 1977)

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

I believe the technical definition of assault is causing someone to fear for their life. You don't even have to touch them, really. Source: close relative is a judge with a PhD. I'm just some idiot, though, but it seems reasonable that you should be able to defend yourself with deadly force if you are being assaulted, from a legal standpoint anyway. So long as you can convince the court you were legitimately/reasonably fearful for your life.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Dammit that's not why I came here. Ok so what are the striking pads called that you wrap around a support beam or pillar? I thought 'pole bag' was it but apparently that's just a really tall heavy bag? It's a tricky thing to google, or no such thing exists and you just have to improvise your own.

Omglosser fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 11, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Omglosser posted:

I believe the technical definition of assault is causing someone to fear for their life.

Not normally, no. Ignoring the difference between criminal and civil assault, and focusing here only on criminal assault in Louisiana just to give one example (other states are very similar on this point):

quote:

§36. Assault defined
Assault is an attempt to commit a battery, or the intentional placing of another in reasonable apprehension of receiving a battery.
Acts 1978, No. 394, §1.

So either attempted battery or intentionally putting someone in reasonable fear of a battery. What's a battery?

quote:

§33. Battery defined
Battery is the intentional use of force or violence upon the person of another; or the intentional administration of a poison or other noxious liquid or substance to another.
Acts 1978, No. 394, §1.

Note "force or violence", not "death or grievous bodily injury." That part covers even pushing someone with a single finger.

So you can be assaulted without any reasonable fear for your life, or even anything having happened but someone reaching out to push you and missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Omglosser posted:

Dammit that'she not why I came here. Ok so what are the striking pads called that you wrap around a support beam or pillar? I thought 'pole bag' was it but apparently that's just a really tall heavy bag? It's a tricky thing to google, or no such thing exists and you just have to improvise your own.

I dunno but I think this is what you're talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKcsbi1_iHQ