Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MrJacobs posted:

Chopper is a surly sailor with a foul mouth, murderous streak, and a heart of gold. All he needs is a cigar.

I get that might be the broad intent, but he comes off like a deadbeat uncle who bums booze money from you, begs to crash on the couch while he gets his band off the ground then pawns your TV to buy a new amp because he "didn't think you'd mind".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Artoo fan spotted.

R2-D2 is cool and good and my friend.

Also he is an experienced commando, insurgent and battlefield commander (the Clone Wars arc where he has his own little troop of battle droids made me laugh every time they appeared.)

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

I get that might be the broad intent, but he comes off like a deadbeat uncle who bums booze money from you, begs to crash on the couch while he gets his band off the ground then pawns your TV to buy a new amp because he "didn't think you'd mind".

After he saves you from a bunch of stormtroopers by sending them into the vacuum of space. And repairs all of your broken poo poo, and makes it so you can fight the empire another day.

Of course he gets to take a booze stipend and crash on the couch. Besides, you really think the Alliance doesn't pawn as much poo poo as it can to pay the bills?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm still on season 1. He ain't saved nobody. Like, unless it was a 5 second shot where I was looking away from the TV, the only time he's 'helped' was in the Lando episode, and that was by A) pushing a single button and B) shooting the ship's guns at an ally, and that last one was after deciding that swiping an explosive fuel barrel was a good idea DURING a fire fight, forcing his allies to save his tin butt or he would've gotten their ride blown up.

Like, if he's better in s2 or 3, that's great. But all I'm hearing is thread in-jokes and memes about his human-sona.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

I'm still on season 1. He ain't saved nobody. Like, unless it was a 5 second shot where I was looking away from the TV, the only time he's 'helped' was in the Lando episode, and that was by A) pushing a single button and B) shooting the ship's guns at an ally, and that last one was after deciding that swiping an explosive fuel barrel was a good idea DURING a fire fight, forcing his allies to save his tin butt or he would've gotten their ride blown up.

Like, if he's better in s2 or 3, that's great. But all I'm hearing is thread in-jokes and memes about his human-sona.

hondo episode.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Chopper seems to be pretty divisive. I tend to enjoy him, and his focus episode in S2 is my second favorite episode of that season (and only because it's impossible not to pick the season finale as the best ep).

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Chopper is a straight up rear end in a top hat. As a change of pace, I guess it's good for the series. He's grating, but it works as a nice counter to all the other non-expressive and silent astromechs or the child-like droids like R2 or Gonk.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.
How can you not enjoy the pettiness of Chopper flushing another droid into outer space because the crew liked him.

Teek posted:

...or the child-like droids like R2.

The same R2-D2 who tazed a ton of people and lit a group of droids on fire is childlike? He's also kinda a dick, but also the ~true protagonist~ of the series.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Since the whole show feels like Dave Filoni's weekend Star Wars RPG group getting canonized Chop is simply the resident "That Guy" who the GM and the rest of the group manages to roll with the punches and make work until That Guy finally realizes the game is kinda fun and settles down... a bit (Season 2 & 3).

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

How can you not enjoy the pettiness of Chopper flushing another droid into outer space because the crew liked him.
That and his giggling fit in S2's Stealth Strike are the two funniest moments of the series so far for me.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Chopper's fun to watch, they're not supposed to be someone you'd want to hang out with.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Woebin posted:

Chopper's fun to watch, they're not supposed to be someone you'd want to hang out with.

I would totally hang out with chopper. He's an rear end in a top hat who will fix all your broken poo poo if you yell at him enough and tell him he's awesome afterwards, and he's a good friend underneath all that jerk-rear end exterior.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Seriously, the friendship between Chopper and AP-5 is one of my favorite things on the show.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Question for you anti-Chopper people: do you like cats?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Question for you anti-Chopper people: do you like cats?

Nope, I'm not a pet person at all.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I love Chopper AND cats. I am an anomaly.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Gonz posted:

I love Chopper AND cats. I am an anomaly.

The common comparison is that Artoo is a faithful dog best friendo while Chopper is a surly cat "I am not your pet" pet. So that doesn't surprise me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chopper's not a jerk, he's damaged.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Chopper is A War Hero, just as much as that blue and silver bucket. :patriot:

Season 3:

This is all speculation on my part, but I like to think the C1 series were cheap, highly mass produced Astromechs built in large quantities during the clone wars to meet the demand for military-grade astromechs when the fancy R series just couldn't be built fast enough given how quality they are. I also like to think very few C1 units survived scrapping after the clone wars. Not too dissimilar from the Clone Troopers (ever notice he never really gives Rex poo poo?). :smith:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
is that from an upcoming Chopper meets Hera episode?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

No, it's from season three, episode four.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gaz-L posted:

The thing is that we know Anakin gets redeemed in the end, so he needs to feel sympathetic to some extent. I think they thought the forbidden love angle was enough, but it's executed so poorly that Anakin comes off alternately as an abusive boyfriend who SHOULDN'T be in a relationship and as a total Nice Guy dink who does not understand how the hu-man girl works.

No one in the Prequels understands how hu-man girls work.

Did Inadequate Women’s Healthcare Destroy Star Wars’ Old Republic?

quote:

Shortly after Padme announces to him that she’s pregnant, Anakin has a dream that she dies while giving birth. The dream feels similar the same one he had about his mother before she died. “It’s just a dream, honey,” Padme tells him the next morning. “Yeah, okay,” he replies, but the man never regains his chill.

He seriously spends two hours of the movie freaking out about his wife’s uterus, and hypes himself up so much that he gets to the point of slaughtering tiny tots in a Jedi temple. All because he can’t think of another way to save Padme from reproductive health complications.

Why didn’t they just go to a goddamned obstetrician-gynecologist?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

This is great.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Initially,I wasn't a big Chopper fan either,but he really redeems himself in Season 3. He's saved the gang a whole bunch of times,he's got Alan Rickman-bot as his buddy,he's great.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

I hated him in season one and now he's a favorite of mine. In fact, most of the characters in season one were pretty terrible in my opinion.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

VolticSurge posted:

Initially,I wasn't a big Chopper fan either,but he really redeems himself in Season 3. He's saved the gang a whole bunch of times,he's got Alan Rickman-bot as his buddy,he's great.

He is robot Garfield. Almost every other droid is Nermal and or Odie to him. Or is Zeb his Odie? I guess Kanan is Jon maybe?

Dammit, now we have another reason to be sad Lorenzo Music is no longer with us. He could voice Chopper for the all Droid episode. :smith:

Also I very nearly bought the Playskool Ghost playset today but I had a brief moment of not being a complete hoarder dipshit consumer whore. It is cool and someone should buy one and the rest of the Ghost crew so we can live vicariously through their extensive photo galleries of it. It includes Chopper so I was really close to getting it but mop head Ezra made me pass. Even if it was 10 bucks or so less than the SW Minis Ghost in spite of being 3x as big and full of fun features. For children of course. Sometimes self loathing saves me money.

Dammit in my day 3-8 year olds played with the Kenner figures just like the big kids. :wheelchair: Oddly enough 8 is how old I was when Jedi came out and I was mostly moved on to GI Joe.

(Also saw a scan of a 1978 TRU circular. X Wings? 10 bux. The DEATH STAR PLAYSET? 16. I mean even with inflation that is still value out the wazoo! The Death Star was one of the 3 best play sets. Only MASK Boulder Hill or Castle Greyskull were better for me. At least of the ones I had. The DND one a friend had was rad.)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I feel the same way about Chopper as I do cats; fun to watch and play with someone else's, but you couldn't pay me to have one of my own.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If I had a space ship I'd have one.

Be murder on the Subaru though

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rocksicles posted:

If I had a space ship I'd have one.

Be murder on the Subaru though

Nah you just gotta keep 'em in their place

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upN-7ALj2OU

Interesting to hear mention of a coordinated attack by multiple Rebel cells; Rogue One seems to imply that the Scarif assault is the first such attempt at a group strike. That said, I'm wondering if Thrawn's involvement may hint at a less fortuitous outcome in this instance, and may explain why Scarif is considered the first major victory for the assembled Rebellion (and why the Quasar isn't at Scarif, but the Ghost is).

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 4, 2017

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Nah you just gotta keep 'em in their place

"Artoo, that muffler's broken loose again! See if you can't lock it down!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I just watched the battle droid episode last night, and it was nice to see them lightsaber some stuff instead of just kicking people.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Holy poo poo that trailer was great. Got chills at the end!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Someone subtitled Chopper and it works really well.

http://gentryfilm.tumblr.com/post/154324371220/every-wonder-exactly-what-chopper-says-well-now

And the trailer was so loving good! Old Obi-Wan vs Maul :swoon:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

One of the more worrying shots of the trailer:

Chop no :ohdear:

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

The rest of the season can't get here soon enough.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

There's a proper old Mon Calamari cruiser in that fleet scene behind the carrier, and Thrawn has an Interdictor at the battle :ohdear:

And Sabine using Ezra's lightsabre to fight against Gar Saxon wielding her Darksabre

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 4, 2017

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

the TIE-Defenders are real :aaaaa:

Considering the plans they found I'm betting it's a bait-and-switch like the Deathstar II was

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
Thrawn has some original Ralph McQuarrie art in his gallery:

https://twitter.com/PaulRMQ/status/816713388986429441

Awesome little detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004