Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Make a shared mailbox for each user, give it the old email address. Set an auto responder on each shared mailbox (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd638217(v=exchg.160).aspx) and also set -DeliverToMailboxAndForward $true with the new address as the forward destination.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Thanks guys.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

This seems like it should be easy to figure out, but how would I look at all email received from a certain domain in Office 365? I've used message trace, but that only lets me specify an internal address as the sender or recipient.

I just need to see the history of messages sent from *@example.com to our organization...

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

wa27 posted:

This seems like it should be easy to figure out, but how would I look at all email received from a certain domain in Office 365? I've used message trace, but that only lets me specify an internal address as the sender or recipient.

I just need to see the history of messages sent from *@example.com to our organization...
Enter the address into the "check names" box at the bottom. You can put whatever you want in there, as long as it looks like a valid email address.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

anthonypants posted:

Enter the address into the "check names" box at the bottom. You can put whatever you want in there, as long as it looks like a valid email address.

The more you know... Thanks :)

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Edit: Anthonypants answered it because he is a cool and good poster.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Skype for Business Q

Noticed that conversations had on the SfB desktop application are not syncing with the mobile app. Scenario: user starts a conversation with another user using the desktop app. When the second person responds, that reply may come to the desktop app, OR to the mobile app, but not both. The original message only appears on the desktop. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Skype for Business Q

Noticed that conversations had on the SfB desktop application are not syncing with the mobile app. Scenario: user starts a conversation with another user using the desktop app. When the second person responds, that reply may come to the desktop app, OR to the mobile app, but not both. The original message only appears on the desktop. Has anyone else experienced something similar?
This is a feature of Skype for Business.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

anthonypants posted:

This is a feature of Skype for Business.
Anthonypants with the correct opinion again. Let's not even talk about the SfB Mac client.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
One of the best features of Teams is that it allows you to actually do persistent chat across devices AND remember chat history, BUT:
Teams->Skype for Business still works like Skype for Business, and doesn't persist.
If someone on Skype for Business sends you a message, and you have both Skype for Business and Teams open, you can open the conversation in one of the apps, but it won't carry over to the other.
Once a user logs in to Teams, and you send them a message using Teams, it will not be sent to their Skype for Business client.
If a user has not ever used Teams, and you send them a message using Teams, you will be notified that they are not a Teams user and it will be sent to their Skype for Business client.

e: oh, and Teams can't do any of the VoIP or screen-sharing that Skype for Business does

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 21, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Microsoft are poo poo at text chat

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

Microsoft are poo poo at text chat

I usually skip right to calling when it comes to O365 stuff. They are much more effective when you can clearly describe the issue, as well as what you have attempted so far to fix it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Beefstorm posted:

I usually skip right to calling when it comes to O365 stuff. They are much more effective when you can clearly describe the issue, as well as what you have attempted so far to fix it.

That's... Not at all what he's talking about.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Internet Explorer posted:

Or is he ... making a dogfood joke :q:

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Internet Explorer posted:

Picking up on that now...

Maybe I will try teams.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

anthonypants posted:

One of the best features of Teams is that it allows you to actually do persistent chat across devices AND remember chat history, BUT:
Teams->Skype for Business still works like Skype for Business, and doesn't persist.
If someone on Skype for Business sends you a message, and you have both Skype for Business and Teams open, you can open the conversation in one of the apps, but it won't carry over to the other.
Once a user logs in to Teams, and you send them a message using Teams, it will not be sent to their Skype for Business client.
If a user has not ever used Teams, and you send them a message using Teams, you will be notified that they are not a Teams user and it will be sent to their Skype for Business client.

e: oh, and Teams can't do any of the VoIP or screen-sharing that Skype for Business does

Yeah.

If there is some way to do screen share in Slack as seamlessly as it works with SfB then I can just stop using sfb here.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Apparently there's a Salesforce Lighting for Outlook thing on the Office Store now which means I'll never have to fight with our off-site sales team to update the Salesforce for Outlook addin.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I'm doing an ediscovery request for HR to find all emails sent from one user to another and I can't figure out what the gently caress i'm doing wrong with my syntax. It's pulling in literally every email sent to the recipient, instead of just ones from A to B. Anyone see what I'm loving up? Exchange 2010.

New-MailboxSearch -Name "AAtoBB" -SourceMailboxes AA,BB -TargetMailbox discovery -Recipients bb@domain.com -senders aa@domain.com -searchdumpster -messagetypes email

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

devmd01 posted:

I'm doing an ediscovery request for HR to find all emails sent from one user to another and I can't figure out what the gently caress i'm doing wrong with my syntax. It's pulling in literally every email sent to the recipient, instead of just ones from A to B. Anyone see what I'm loving up? Exchange 2010.

New-MailboxSearch -Name "AAtoBB" -SourceMailboxes AA,BB -TargetMailbox discovery -Recipients bb@domain.com -senders aa@domain.com -searchdumpster -messagetypes email
How about this one
code:
New-MailboxSearch -Name "AAtoBB" -SourceMailboxes AA,BB -TargetMailbox discovery -SearchQuery "From:'aa@domain.com' AND To:'bb@domain.com'" -searchdumpster -messagetypes email

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Bingo, thank you!

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Anyone have a cool way for me to force appointments into users' calendars without sending them a meeting request? The idea is to put our HQ office closings directly on all calendars. Currently admin staff sends all-staff meeting requests, but this is problematic because it (a) requires users accept the meeting, and (b) if there's a new hire the admin needs to go and invite that new hire to all the meeting requests.

I'd like to see something like one master calendar that has editor rights on everyone else's calendar, automatically pushes whatever is on its own calendar to the rest of the mailboxes.

If I could have a way for people to easily view shared calendars via iOS then I would just do a shared calendar.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Publish an Exchange calendar as a feed and give people instructions for how to subscribe to the calendar? That's the closest I can get to achieving this.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I just went though this with the head EA. She ended up putting FY17 meetings and holidays on a master calendar, I then granted her publishing rights to all the other calendars and she dragged the events to everyone's calendars.

I briefly looked at using EWS+Powershell but she volunteered to fall on that sword before I could look into it.

See if you can do an export request for MasterCal:\Calendar then import that.

Fake Edit: that might work but won't add people as attendees.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 29, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's possible:

http://www.msexchange.org/blogs/walther/news/centrally-adding-location-specific-holidays-to-exchange-2010-calendars-620.html

But it seems like a nightmare to maintain if a holiday date changed for whatever reason, you'd have to use the eDiscovery tools to filter that event out and remove it.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

All these things sound like a huge pain in the rear end.

I think what I'll do is a master calendar, and show people how to view it as a table, and drag all the items from that table to their own calendar

ofc if a thing changes that won't help

prob just need to stick with meeting requests

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The outlook app for ios is pretty decent and supports shared calendars.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
We're on Office 365 / Outlook 2016. When I right click on a GAL entry and choose "add to contacts," the resulting contact appears to have an SMTP address, but actually has an EX address that looks like:

/o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=35e98570bbc9478bbb7603aaa50359bd-user.name

You can see that EX address if you export contacts to CSV.

Is this normal behavior? It seems weird. I didn't think O365 even used LegacyDNs. In Exchange Admin Center --> Recipients, the users only have SMTP addresses. There are no legacyDNs in our internal AD -- I don't even think the schema is extended.

KS fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 30, 2016

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

So we are attempting to do an exchange 2010 to 2016 migration. This is a single exchange server environment so the 2010 server will go away when the 2016 server is up and running. I'm curious about the autodiscover service, currently our autodiscover.xml lists the internal FQDN for that server. What happens when I do the switch over?

So for example

code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Autodiscover xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/autodiscover/responseschema/2006">
	<Response xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/autodiscover/outlook/responseschema/2006a">
		<Account>
			<AccountType>email</AccountType>
				<Action>settings</Action>
					<Protocol>
						<Type>EXCH</Type>
						<Server>OldExchange.internaldomain.local</Server>
					</Protocol>
					<Protocol>
						<Type>EXPR</Type>
						<Server>mail.domain.com</Server>
					</protocol>
Shouldn't that Server tag for EXCH be "mail.domain.com" also? That way in this situation none of the Outlook clients have to be reconfigured, we simply reconfigure internal DNS to point to the new server's IP? Does this not matter since when the autodiscover.domain.com DNS entry points to the new server the Outlook clients will reconfigure themselves anyways?

For reference: I have been using this guide to work this out. I'm not really an IT dude but there's nobody else to do this so :shrug:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

If clients hit your old server they will be referenced to the new server with the new autodiscover.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

So is that FQDN normal then?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

If clients hit your old server they will be referenced to the new server with the new autodiscover.

so you keep

autodiscover.domain.com=exchange 2010

Which will point users to

newautodiscover.domain.com=exchange2016

??

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I think the implication is that you change the DNS to point autodiscover.example.com to the IP address of the new server, which generates a new autoconfigure.xml containing the correct information.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
If you make a FQDN newautodiscover.domain.com, you're going to have to gently caress with the registry on all of your client machines in order to get Outlook to see it, and it will be way, way easier to just replace the DNS name.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Yeah I have no idea where incoherent got making a new autodiscover URL from.

What I'm curious about is where that EXCH entry in the xml file comes from, and why it uses the local FQDN of that server rather than the "mail.example.com"

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. It looks like Exchange 2016 uses Outlook Anywhere (EXPR) for everything and RPC/MAPI is gone completely.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Where were you accessing the server from? I don't think the contents of that file are static - rather they are generated as the request is made.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I realize that. But those values that it puts into the generated XML have to come from somewhere.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

BiohazrD posted:

I realize that. But those values that it puts into the generated XML have to come from somewhere.

There are settings on the exchange environment.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt441781(v=exchg.150).aspx

There may also be stuff in AD.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

KS posted:

We're on Office 365 / Outlook 2016. When I right click on a GAL entry and choose "add to contacts," the resulting contact appears to have an SMTP address, but actually has an EX address that looks like:

/o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=35e98570bbc9478bbb7603aaa50359bd-user.name

You can see that EX address if you export contacts to CSV.

Is this normal behavior? It seems weird. I didn't think O365 even used LegacyDNs. In Exchange Admin Center --> Recipients, the users only have SMTP addresses. There are no legacyDNs in our internal AD -- I don't even think the schema is extended.

Hey, could anyone try this and see if you get the same behavior? Issue is we're getting intermittent 550 5.1.11 bounces when people send to contacts based on these LegacyDN addresses, and right in the error it says LegacyDNs aren't used by Office 365. What the hell?

All you have to do is right click --> add to contacts, export the contact to csv, and see if the email address is SMTP or a format like the above. Very curious what's wrong with our tenant and support so far is terrible.

KS fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 4, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BiohazrD posted:

Have a look at the output of Get-ClientAccessServer / Get-ClientAccessService

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Is there a good 3rd party tool to administer O365 Exchange via a GUI? We're a small shop (100~ users) and running into use cases where we need to make changes via powershell because the out-of-box administration GUI doesn't support it. "Just learn Exchange and powershell" isn't helpful right now, however we do have a great budget even though we're small. Buying something off the shelf is something we're happy to do if it makes life easier.