Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cleretic posted:

I just love the look of smug satisfaction in this picture.

Looks more like gay longing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

I just love the look of smug satisfaction in this picture.

"I could kill the whole goddamn world with this thing :smuggo:".

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Given it's special is 'flip-the-world-around', he's not exactly wrong.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Some hylians just want to see the world get chomped.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

So which way are y'a'll gonna head first from the plateau?

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Jonas Albrecht posted:

First thing I'm going to do is jump off that cliff

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'll stand on the cliff's edge, staring down into bloody hell. Beneath me, this awful kingdom, it screams like an abattoir full of retarded children.

Zelda will look up and shout "save me!" and I'll whisper "HHHHYAH!"

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Jonas Albrecht posted:

See that mountain? I can go there.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I'm just gonna do a few laps around the plateau first. Get myself psyched up. Maybe take a few pictographs to post onto Instagram so everyone in Hyrule knows what I'm doing. #whataview #longnap

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

codenameFANGIO posted:

See that mountain? I can go there.

I'm gonna do this and see what happens if I make a beeline for the castle

After those two things I'll probably just let my heart guide me

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Whatever edge is closest when I get the opportunity to leave. No hesitation.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Hyrule Warriors is the real best Zelda. Multiplayer! (non tingle multiplayer) {tingle if you want multiplayer}

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The White Dragon posted:

The aesthetic clash, I think. It's like adding hi-fi Yoshi sounds to a pixel-perfect port of the original SNES cart... which I think they did, and I think people complained about as well? :v:

While I didn't mind, I definitely prefer Yoshi's voice to be a bunch of weird sound effects rather than a Pokémon who says his name a bunch.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I want to head towards the sea, so south east? I wonder what they're going to do for the world boundaries where the map seemingly "ends" but there's land. How do other open-world games like Fallout and Skyrim handle it? Invisible walls or massive cliffs? I'm also curious if we'll get DLC and see the world be expanded.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

LTTP is my favorite still, but OoT holds up pretty decently I thought. I went back and finally beat it a few years ago using the Gamecube port, and didn't have too much trouble with it which is funny, because I found it almost impossible as a kid (and Gohma was terrifying to me then too). I still don't like Majora's Mask though. Something about the time limit, even though I know it's not really a thing and I love other games like Dead Rising.

Harrow posted:

Another thing I like about LBW: the Hyrule Field music changing to something even more triumphant once you get the Master Sword was pretty great. It makes coming back to Hyrule from Lorule feel like coming up for air or going outside after being inside for way too long.

My favorite thing is that Mother Maiamai song.

gleep gleep

gleep gleep gleep :3:

quote:

How do other open-world games like Fallout and Skyrim handle it? Invisible walls or massive cliffs? I'm also curious if we'll get DLC and see the world be expanded.

Bethesda games usually handle it by telling you "You can't go this way, turn back." or similar then eventually putting up an invisible wall.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 3, 2017

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I liked The Witcher 3's approach, which has Geralt bitching that he's too old for this poo poo when you hit the edge.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

RBA Starblade posted:

LTTP is my favorite still, but OoT holds up pretty decently I thought. I went back and finally beat it a few years ago using the Gamecube port, and didn't have too much trouble with it which is funny, because I found it almost impossible as a kid (and Gohma was terrifying to me then too). I still don't like Majora's Mask though. Something about the time limit, even though I know it's not really a thing and I love other games like Dead Rising.

OoT did seem more daunting when I was a kid. I was terrified of Gohma and had trouble bringing myself to do the adult temples.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

unimportantguy posted:

I liked The Witcher 3's approach, which has Geralt bitching that he's too old for this poo poo when you hit the edge.

Sounds like the best way of doing it, didn't the King of Red Lions say something about the sea being too dangerous when you tried sailing away?

Cojawfee posted:

OoT did seem more daunting when I was a kid. I was terrified of Gohma and had trouble bringing myself to do the adult temples.

I remember spending so much time getting the adult temples done when I was a kid but now I hate the thought of replaying the game because the child dungeons are boring and I really only want to do the adult ones.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

I remember spending so much time getting the adult temples done when I was a kid but now I hate the thought of replaying the game because the child dungeons are boring and I really only want to do the adult ones.

Really only Jabu Jabu is annoying and boring. The Deku Tree is pretty easy and Dodongo isn't that bad. Jabu Jabu is a dumpster fire though.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Jabu Jabu is a dumpster fire though.

God, I just had a flashback of that stupid fish dungeon. Carrying the little fish girl and falling down a level over and over. Please, no.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Did they redesign Jabu Jabu for 3ds release, because I found it not as bad going back.

I remember when I was a kid being dense and taking a long long time to give him a fish. But I might have tried to catch a fish in a bottle and it didn't work because n64 so I thought that wasn't the way.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Really only Jabu Jabu is annoying and boring. The Deku Tree is pretty easy and Dodongo isn't that bad. Jabu Jabu is a dumpster fire though.

I like jabu jabu and the master quest version doubles down on the weirdness. The only complaint is the midboss is a slog.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
the concept of jabu jabu is wonderful (cows in the walls!), but the execution is a slog.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
No it isnt. it's stupid as gently caress

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Walking around in a big whale and different rooms are different parts of its body is interesting in concept. In reality, it's poo poo.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

All the Master Quest versions of Ocarina dungeons are really bad compared to the originals.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
I bought myself The Phantom Hourglass recently. Alongside Spirit Tracks and Zelda II, I've never played PH. I'm excited for it as I'm pretty sure that there isn't a bad Zelda game (of the ones made by Nintendo.) I'll try to give trip reports.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Earnestly posted:

I bought myself The Phantom Hourglass recently. Alongside Spirit Tracks and Zelda II, I've never played PH. I'm excited for it as I'm pretty sure that there isn't a bad Zelda game (of the ones made by Nintendo.) I'll try to give trip reports.

Those are certainly argued by many to be the three worst "main" games. They are definitely all good and worth playing, though. I definitely enjoyed PH. Have fun!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cojawfee posted:

Not really big on the other 2 either, I like the Deku Tree the most though.

youcallthatatwist posted:

the concept of jabu jabu is wonderful (cows in the walls!), but the execution is a slog.

Isn't that only in the Master Quest version?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The best argument against them is that there is no reason they could not be controlled traditionally. SS's directional swiping combat is a better argument then trying to roll around on that screen with your fat goonhand blocking the way. Timed dungeon also fell a little flat.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Yeah Jabu Jabu is the only dungeon in Ocarina that I don't like at all. It doesn't help that it's followed by two of my favorite dungeons in the series.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The rolling in Phantom Hourglass is terrible. I can get it to work maybe 1 out of 10 times.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im going to start playing Zelda games

I got link between worlds for Christmas and I really started playing it tonight. house of gales was really cool

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

eonwe posted:

im going to start playing Zelda games

I got link between worlds for Christmas and I really started playing it tonight. house of gales was really cool

quality idea imo. zelda games, while not perfect, rule very hard.
if you like link between worlds try ocarina of time, also for 3DS. it's more linear but still very good.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I think the last Zelda game I really played was Majoras Mask. I played Twilight Princess but I got it with my Wii, and a lot of Wii's on launch had some bug with the internet on them. I ended up having to send my Wii in for a replacement and lost my save a quarter of the way in and never went back to it. Since that point I haven't really played any of the console or handheld Zeldas

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Cojawfee posted:

The rolling in Phantom Hourglass is terrible. I can get it to work maybe 1 out of 10 times.

I had no problem with it on DS, but in the WiiU version I also rarely get it.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Okay, so I just finished the first dungeon in Phantom Hourglass. My initial impression of the game is favorable.

I like the control scheme, or rather I've figured out the best perspective to take and it hasn't troubled me since. The movement is in itself a challenge. I understand why many people might dislike it, but I would disagree with a claim that it doesn't work. I like how Link pulls out his shield only when he walks; I like how the tap to stab makes combat feel quick; I like drawing on the map. I have not figured out a way to reliably slash the sword or roll, but I feel comfortable disregarding those actions because they seem unnecessary for puzzles. There's been some mic input for blowing out candles, which I think is neat. However, I have heard that there is some musical instrument that also involves the mic, and the sounds like a sure-fire nightmare.

The dungeon design so far seems good. Windwaker style streamlined dungeons that minimize backtracking make the experience really flow. I also like the new element of having to carry the boss key back to the boss door despite it not really seeming like good design.

However, I haven't found the cut scenes anywhere naar charming or interesting. Hopefully the game is holding off on better characters than this Linebeck joker for when it really opens up.

Edit: Also, the game immediately got rid of the best character. Why does the Zelda series hate Terra?

Earnestly fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 4, 2017

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

youcallthatatwist posted:

quality idea imo. zelda games, while not perfect, rule very hard.
if you like link between worlds try ocarina of time, also for 3DS. it's more linear but still very good.

I went right into Ocarina from Link Between Worlds and I am finding that they have almost nothing in common.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Earnestly posted:

Okay, so I just finished the first dungeon in Phantom Hourglass. My initial impression of the game is favorable.

Hahahahahaha. You are now entering the suck. Enjoy the suck. It will suck and suck and suck some more.

You are talking about Temple of the Ocean King, right? Or Fire Dungeon?

Either way, enjoy doing TotOK 20 times.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Don't you have to do it like, six or seven? And by the fifth time you're skipping most of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Earnestly posted:

Edit: Also, the game immediately got rid of the best character. Why does the Zelda series hate Terra?

The DS has very small cartridges, which are unable to contain all of Tetra's greatness for more than twenty minutes or so. She also can't fit onto the tiny Gamecube discs. If she had more screentime the system would literally burst into flames. This is also why they made her suck in Hyrule Warriors.