Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Star Wars: Rogue One was just OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Star Wars: Rogue One is evidence of sjw gone wild with its strong focus on the Chinese gay space dads.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's awfully presumptuous of you. Why do you assume they are dads?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I wish they were my gay Chinese space dads

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

oldpainless posted:

:agreed:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

i typed "daddies" but the android spellcheck changed it

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pick posted:

Audiophiles are crazy, but to be honest most people listen to their music on completely dogshit speakers and seem to be weirdly okay with that.
This drives me insane. My parents have a TV that's hooked up to a stereo, but they usually just use the TV speakers, which are so bad that you have to have the volume twice as loud just to understand what anyone's saying. My sister will listen to music through her laptop speakers instead of plugging in the cable that's sitting right there and listening through the stereo. She says she can't hear the difference.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Standard, inexpensive desktop computer speakers sound just fine.
They do, until you get used to better ones, and then you can never go back.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

Dark Souls does have a story, but it all happened before you start playing.

Pretty much. You're piecing everything together after it's gone to poo poo.

Frostyhawk
Jan 21, 2012

Bird Up!

oldpainless posted:

What's wrong with the ones you have?

caboodle
Oct 28, 2009
LOL. I was banned for posting my unpopular opinion.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Frostyhawk posted:

What's wrong with the ones you have?

They probably are not one with the Force

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

caboodle posted:

i get that it sucks to be banned & i could add something to the OP about transphobia, racism & sexism not being any more okay to post here than on the rest of the forums, but i figure that people would honestly know that there aren't any special rules protecting the statements in this thread.

i mean, half the posts are people trying to call each other out on why their unpopular opinions are dumb or unfounded, so i'm guessing it is obvious enough that nobody really just gets to dump an opinion piece without feedback, or if it is really bad, mod consequence like probations or a ban.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

caboodle posted:

Ever heard of Chairman Mao's 100 Flowers campaign and the people who fell for it? Same thing.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

caboodle posted:

You got a one-day probation for being a piece of poo poo. Boo-hoo.

caboodle
Oct 28, 2009

Grandmother of Five posted:

i get that it sucks to be banned & i could add something to the OP about transphobia, racism & sexism not being any more okay to post here than on the rest of the forums, but i figure that people would honestly know that there aren't any special rules protecting the statements in this thread.

i mean, half the posts are people trying to call each other out on why their unpopular opinions are dumb or unfounded, so i'm guessing it is obvious enough that nobody really just gets to dump an opinion piece without feedback, or if it is really bad, mod consequence like probations or a ban.

Interesting.

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Ever heard of Chairman Mao's 100 Flowers campaign and the people who fell for it? Same thing.

Nope. No idea what that is.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

You got a one-day probation for being a piece of poo poo. Boo-hoo.

Because my opinion is different from yours? I bet you voted trump.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tiggum posted:

If a game has unskippable dialogue or cutscenes then it had better be the best, most fun game ever to make up for making me sit through that dumb, pointless bullshit.

My unpopular opinion is that I enjoy dumb game plots/cut-scenes while fully understanding that they are dumb and written poorly. A good example is the game Final Fantasy X. The plot is pretty dumb and has a ton of melodrama, but I love melodrama (as long as it's not too ridiculous) and dumb plots that keep escalating until the entire world is at stake.

WampaLord posted:

Outside of crackling or other obvious distortions, I have never been able to tell audio quality apart. Either audio is playing or it's being played incorrectly, I honestly can't tell what "better" audio is.

With regard to headphones/earphones specifically, I find that I can definitely tell a difference between, say, $30 and $150 earphones, but can't tell the difference with anything above that (assuming that all the earphones in question are considered good for their price range). This guy I knew in college had some $500 earphones that looked like little drills and I couldn't tell the difference between them than my $150 ones.

Ytlaya has a new favorite as of 01:06 on Jan 4, 2017

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

My unpopular opinion is that I enjoy dumb game plots/cut-scenes while fully understanding that they are dumb and written poorly. A good example is the game Final Fantasy X. The plot is pretty dumb and has a ton of melodrama, but I love melodrama (as long as it's not too ridiculous) and dumb plots that keep escalating until the entire world is at stake.

With regard to headphones/earphones specifically, I find that I can definitely tell a difference between, say, $30 and $150 earphones, but can't tell the difference with anything above that (assuming that all the earphones in question are considered good for their price range). This guy I knew in college had some $500 earphones that looked like little drills and I couldn't tell the difference between them than my $150 ones.

Headphones and speakers are like booze. You can tell the difference between the crap and something nice for sure, but after a certain point you are just a sucker.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

Headphones and speakers are like booze. You can tell the difference between the crap and something nice for sure, but after a certain point you are just a sucker.

That and there's a certain point where you spend more just to say you spent more. That's true of all things, though; there are so, so many people who gauge their self-worth on how much money they've wasted on frivolous luxury.

Sorry kids but the only thing you really got out of those $700 cables was some bragging rights most people are going to be unimpressed by.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That thing where someone tested to see if audiophiles could tell the difference between expensive cables and a bent coat hanger was pretty funny.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Same thing with those blind wine tests

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ytlaya posted:

If it's dumb and knows it that's usually fine. If it's something like the Deus Ex series where it's really dumb but takes itself so, so seriously, I'm definitely skipping that.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

Same thing with those blind wine tests

The best one was when they served professional wine tasters the cheapest white wine they could fin with red food coloring in it put in a really fancy bottle with an intricate label and the wine tasters were like "mmmm really really good red wine. The best stuff!" That might be a bit of exaggeration but I remember reading about that too. Wine tasters had absolutely no god damned clue what they were talking about. There were incidences where they would say that a white wine with food coloring added was totally a red wine, we can tell by how it tastes!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I saw another one like that for coffee. The coffee snobs liked Folgers the best. People are full of poo poo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cigarettes and lager have also been thusly tested.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

You paid a lot for earphones to be honest. 50€ (so I imagine a lot less $ because they're a Mexican brand [:smugmrgw:]) Shures are basically as good as it gets sound-wise. I'm sure they could sell them at a profit for 30$.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
the context here is that guys commonly have a pretty heavily slanted age-preference in on-line dating. as an example, the last two guys to have posted profiles for critique in the online dating thread, had age-range preferences that were, iirc, -10/+3 and -7/+1, and these kind of slanted age-preferences are just really off-putting imo

i don't think there is anything wrong with a 30 year old happening to date a 40 year old, but specifically seeking out younger people than yourself instead of an age-range centred on your own age if off-putting. a 35 year old guy with a -10/+10 age preference - whatever. a 35 year old guy with an age preference set to -10/+3 - off-putting.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A lot of women do the opposite though. When I was on ok Cupid it wasn't uncommon for younger women to actually not even have their own age set in the preferences. Like, 25 year olds with ages 28-38 set as preferences or whatever.

Although I see where you are coming from. The age thing is weird. I think a lot of dudes prefer to date someone around their own age, but when you are filling that thing out there is this little voice in the back of your head (it's your dick) saying "what if some 23 year old was going to want to bang me and now they don't cause I set that in my preferences"

I tried to expand my horizons and look more open minded by expanding my age range upwards and got nothing but messages from women 10 years older than me. Which is fine, but ya know. We all do it to some degree.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
If both people are 18 or older I don't give a single poo poo how far apart their ages are. If they are getting something they need from each other then like whatever, I don't care, make each other happy. Quite frankly it's none of my drat business.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

A lot of women do the opposite though. When I was on ok Cupid it wasn't uncommon for younger women to actually not even have their own age set in the preferences. Like, 25 year olds with ages 28-38 set as preferences or whatever.

Although I see where you are coming from. The age thing is weird. I think a lot of dudes prefer to date someone around their own age, but when you are filling that thing out there is this little voice in the back of your head (it's your dick) saying "what if some 23 year old was going to want to bang me and now they don't cause I set that in my preferences"

I tried to expand my horizons and look more open minded by expanding my age range upwards and got nothing but messages from women 10 years older than me. Which is fine, but ya know. We all do it to some degree.

yeah, women for sure do the opposite on average, and i can understand a heavy slant in either direction being off-putting, it just isn't the one i'm seeing. i don't think a tiny age-range slant is a red flag, like a 28 year old might type in 24-30 simply because 30 is a scary number, or whatever, who knows, but when people have a heavy slant in either direction that's weird to me, and those seem common to me.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The best one was when they served professional wine tasters the cheapest white wine they could fin with red food coloring in it put in a really fancy bottle with an intricate label and the wine tasters were like "mmmm really really good red wine. The best stuff!" That might be a bit of exaggeration but I remember reading about that too. Wine tasters had absolutely no god damned clue what they were talking about. There were incidences where they would say that a white wine with food coloring added was totally a red wine, we can tell by how it tastes!

I think Sommeliers could probably tell the difference. But here, have a clickbate video showing whiskey reviewers trying different whiskeys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhdlSpfzPvo

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think Sommeliers could probably tell the difference. But here, have a clickbate video showing whiskey reviewers trying different whiskeys:

The thing that made me happiest about that video was that it turns out I'm not the only one who likes whiskey but loathes that honey whiskey. That stuff is dreadful.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Solice Kirsk posted:

As a Buzzfeed fan, I'm very disappointed they didn't have them try Old Crow, official whiskey of poor people and me.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think Fireball used to be classified as a liqueur here but then they stopped selling it because it has too much propylene glycol.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

I think Fireball used to be classified as a liqueur here but then they stopped selling it because it has too much propylene glycol.

Is "propylene glycol" fancy scientist talk for "bottled bad decisions"?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is "propylene glycol" fancy scientist talk for "bottled bad decisions"?

It's an alcohol used for de-icing stuff and also as a flavour enhancer in lovely booze.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

The fact that they call it whiskey has always bugged me. Like, you literally can't even taste the whiskey in it.

I secretly kind of like fireball. I know it's wrong but I love cinnamon.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

The fact that they call it whiskey has always bugged me. Like, you literally can't even taste the whiskey in it.

The US is a free market much like China so you can literally sell anything as anything and then if someone dies you sue their estate.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

With our new prez I am sure we are less than a year out from eating food cooked with gutter oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The thing that made me happiest about that video was that it turns out I'm not the only one who likes whiskey but loathes that honey whiskey. That stuff is dreadful.

honey tequila from the Philippines is the official worst liquor i've had and i have tried cheap baijiu