Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
statistically speaking at this point, Will Smith is not in good movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Shirec posted:

I think they edge on it very rarely

If recent chatter is any indication, they've been edging quite a lot

quote:

Honestly We Hate Movies has been the most consistently awesome for me and it the one I re-download the catalog and listen to pretty frequently. Maybe I just burned out so badly on Flophouse that I'm super forgiving. That and how progressive they are and unafraid to call poo poo out is really important to me. Like a lot of other podcasts I listen to that aren't expressly liberal just tiptoe around it, and it makes me so happy to see four average dudes being not terrible.

I think their latest mailbag best shows how the gang's sense of humor intersects with their social and self-awareness where they go on a long bit about Irish Blockbuster, which for them, as White New Yorkers, a lot of folks would call fair play but is still technically racism; they end by cheerily saying they need to tour Ireland so they can get educated and also have their heads beat in

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

Looking through it Will Smith's filmography is more of a bummer then I'd assumed

Yeah. If you think After Earth hurt his career as much as, say, Wild Wild West, you are mistaken.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
People holding After Earth against him would require people remembering After Earth

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Will Smith is kind of a guy who elevates bad movies, more than he's ever in good movies. I don't think he's ever made something outright unwatchable.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
The only thing that matters to a movie star's career is if your movies make money and by that metric Will Smith has always had an amazing career.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
Everyone forgets that because the Oscars are in late February, they already included Rickman and Bowie in that In Memoriam. I can't remember if Vigoda got Farina'd though.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
I feel like Joe Polito will get the snub this year.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I feel like Will Smith really wants to get an Oscar, but doesn't quite understand the difference between bad Oscar bait and an actual Oscar contender. When he didn't win for Ali or The Pursuit of Happiness he lost what ability he did have to tell the difference.

Poor guy just didn't realize that simply because Helen Mirren is in something doesn't make it good. Honest mistake though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Will Smith is kind of a guy who elevates bad movies, more than he's ever in good movies. I don't think he's ever made something outright unwatchable.

I just looked at his filmography to prove you wrong and discovered that Will Smith has been in a lot fewer movies than I thought he had been in.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
That Loot Crate plug in the middle of the episode was a little jarring, so I went back and listened to the Highlander 2 episode again. Still solid gold.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Will Smith has been in shockingly few good movies, although he's invariably engaging and watchable.

Along similar lines: has Angelina Jolie ever been in a good movie? Is Mr. and Mrs. Smith the peak?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I almost drove off the road during the fake sperm donor website bit.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Everyone forgets that because the Oscars are in late February, they already included Rickman and Bowie in that In Memoriam. I can't remember if Vigoda got Farina'd though.

He did, which is the stupidest thing I've ever heard from those clips.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gyges posted:

I feel like Will Smith really wants to get an Oscar, but doesn't quite understand the difference between bad Oscar bait and an actual Oscar contender. When he didn't win for Ali or The Pursuit of Happiness he lost what ability he did have to tell the difference.

Poor guy just didn't realize that simply because Helen Mirren is in something doesn't make it good. Honest mistake though.

Yea it really does feel that way. Smith is clearly a smart dude (despite being in a crazy alien cult) and he understands the concepts around oscar bait kinda stuff and you can see he's trying to play the game, but he has to turn everything up to 11 when really if he just made kinda a generic emotional movie about a man who has to deal with some poo poo and finds hope in overcoming it he'd probably at least get a nomination.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I feel like Nocturnal Animals has to have said its title a few times since it's an in universe manuscript but I don't remember that movie too well

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Except for the intro credits I'll never forget that :magical:

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I feel like Nocturnal Animals has to have said its title a few times since it's an in universe manuscript but I don't remember that movie too well

I just watched it, they said Nocturnal Animals several times.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Like I don't think BvS or Man of Steel were good, but I don't think the Marvel movies are very good either and it baffles me when people act like By the Numbers Generic Marvel Film Number #28 is like...significantly better than whatever he's done.

Honestly for me it's that a lot of Snyder's movies are socially, politically, or morally repulsive, including some of the liberties he takes with Watchmen, whereas the Generic Marvel Films are mostly inoffensive noise custom-built to appeal to mass audiences without offending anybody.

I'd rather watch inoffensive trash than homophobic trash.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I don't know that I can think of any instances of Snyder's films being outright homophobic, but I definitely found Sucker Punch to be a flaming pile of poo poo. Like god drat that movie was so bad it soured me so hard on the guy basically until a second watch of Man of Steel. I think he's a loving terrible writer, but I've developed more of an appreciation for him as a director.

porfiria posted:

Along similar lines: has Angelina Jolie ever been in a good movie? Is Mr. and Mrs. Smith the peak?
Hackers is pretty good and Kung Fu Panda was surprisingly good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

porfiria posted:

Salt is pretty good.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

TetsuoTW posted:

I don't know that I can think of any instances of Snyder's films being outright homophobic, but I definitely found Sucker Punch to be a flaming pile of poo poo. Like god drat that movie was so bad it soured me so hard on the guy basically until a second watch of Man of Steel. I think he's a loving terrible writer, but I've developed more of an appreciation for him as a director.

Hackers is pretty good and Kung Fu Panda was surprisingly good.

The guys ragged on hackers but I really like that movie, silly as it is. It's a lot more solid than you'd expect a movie about 90s teen hackers to be.

Man of Steel is the only Snyder film I've seen but it successfully put me off his work and nothing since then has persuaded me to see any of his other work. It's a boring mess.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

3 A.M. Radio posted:

I feel like Joe Polito will get the snub this year.

I'm seeing tributes that included Polito and Vigoda (I think I saw one from TCM or IMDB that remembered he was in The Godfather), but forgot that David Huddleston died this year.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Red Bones posted:

Man of Steel is the only Snyder film I've seen but it successfully put me off his work and nothing since then has persuaded me to see any of his other work. It's a boring mess.
Tbh I felt exactly the same after the first time I watched it. Couldn't stand it, thought it was basically just a drawn out "HEY HE'S LIKE JESUS GET IT???", but I definitely appreciated it more the second time. I'm not going to say you have to watch it again, because man that's still a long drat movie and it's ok to hate a movie too, but if you stumble onto it on TV or something I'd recommend at least not changing the channel immediately.

Sucker Punch, on the other hand, can go gently caress itself forever and wild fuckin horses couldn't drag me to another viewing of that.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

A big issue I had with it was that the way it approaches establishing Clark 's character to the audience with a bunch of flashbacks dispersed throughout the film makes it difficult to connect with him as a character, especially early on. There's the scene where he visits the spaceship and puts on his suit, and that scene and the subsequent abrupt change from quiet Clark avoiding people to confident open Superman was really jarring and only gets smoothed over later on as you learn more about his character. So I can understand that it's a film that would hold up better a second time in regards to things like understanding the characters, but I think that the first viewing being a very messy one is a real flaw in that film.

It comes up again with Zod, where the idea that he can't find a peaceful solution to his situation and conflict with Earth/Superman because genetically he is a soldier and that's all he can be is sorta vague until the climax of the movie. It's an important note for the film to make both for his character and also the wider ideas the film tries to explore in regards to the whole Krypton society/Earth society conflict, but I think it's something that needed to be said earlier in the film because it's quite a weird Sci fi concept that the audience wouldn't necessarily notice on their own (I didn't, at least) vs the more obvious thing of "the bad guys are soldiers so they can fight better than superman", which the film is a lot clearer about.

So yeah, it's an interesting film, just a very messy one that drags in parts. That's how I remember it, anyway. I haven't seen it since it came out in cinemas.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Red Bones posted:

So yeah, it's an interesting film, just a very messy one that drags in parts. That's how I remember it, anyway. I haven't seen it since it came out in cinemas.
Nah that seems like a pretty fair assessment.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Red Bones posted:

The guys ragged on hackers but I really like that movie, silly as it is. It's a lot more solid than you'd expect a movie about 90s teen hackers to be.

I really like Hackers. I know it's cheesy but that's kinda the point.

When Travis Walton discusses his alleged alien abduction and the movie Fire in the Sky, he talks about how the aliens and spaceship in the movie is the opposite of what he says happened in real life. He says he woke up in a completely clean, white, sterile environment and encountered a bunch of tall, blond, nordic-like people wearing glass helmets. If you've seen Fire in the Sky, you know that in the movie the aliens are disgusting creatures with elephant skin in a rotting ship with corpses where they perform grotesque experiments. But Walton was fine with that portrayal. He said something along the lines of, "if they showed what happened to me, the audience wouldn't feel the terror I felt when I woke up. I know it's movie magic, but the feeling and emotion was the most important thing to convey." I thought that was super insightful.

It's the same thing with Hackers. The computer stuff is super duper cheesy, but it visualizes how the characters feel about what they're doing a lot better than just showing a bunch of fat smelly kids sitting in their basement typing on 90's era computers.

Now, I haven't seen Mr. Robot, but I've heard it shows computers really well and realistically, so I might be off base.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBVExpGMuB0

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I ended up renting Sucker Punch twice cause I got the wrong one to sync with the commentary. Glad to have spent it cause the commentary was great but mad to give money to that trash pile.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Violator posted:

Now, I haven't seen Mr. Robot, but I've heard it shows computers really well and realistically, so I might be off base.

Mr. Robot is a good show, it's realistic in the sense that they have a technical consultant on hand to make sure that when they break out the :techno: in the name of advancing the plot the stuff they namedrop is at least plausible and it focuses a lot on the actual human engineering side of hacking by doing things like dropping flash drives in a parking lot and hoping somebody's dumb enough to plug one into their work computer or handing out mix CDs that are loaded with rootkits.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I loved the return of Super Nice Amy Adams, and I hope she did condescendingly pass on Collateral Beauty. Movie deserves it.

Also, my binge has brought me through classic episodes like Invisible Child which I consider to be one of the most consistently entertaining episodes. Another couple favourites are Step Up Revolution, which has a sexting gag that made me laugh out loud, and Alex Cross which clearly illustrates just how bleakly awkward that film is.

The archives end with the Mating Habits of the Earthbound Human which I'll admit to having a sick curiosity for. I've said it before that WHM is good at digging out those bad movies that aren't in the usual bad movie sphere, and MHEH is a good testament to that.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
What are the dream choices for Listener Request Month? If you knew you were going to get picked, what's the movie you guys would submit, more than anything?

I am really frothing at the mouth to leave an awkward Skype call.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

In general I think WHM's bread and butter comes from forgotten films from like 85-95 that are sub blockbuster level but not quite DTV trash. Real Mom and Pop VHS store level flicks. I'd rather hear stuff like that get picked for LRM over Dungeons and Dragons. We know that poo poo is irredeemable.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Captain Hotbutt posted:

What are the dream choices for Listener Request Month? If you knew you were going to get picked, what's the movie you guys would submit, more than anything?

I am really frothing at the mouth to leave an awkward Skype call.

Big Money Hustlas or Big Money Rustlas if only because I want to know how bad those movies are without watching them myself.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
A Day Without a Mexican

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm gonna call in Poison Ivy 2

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

weekly font posted:

In general I think WHM's bread and butter comes from forgotten films from like 85-95 that are sub blockbuster level but not quite DTV trash. Real Mom and Pop VHS store level flicks. I'd rather hear stuff like that get picked for LRM over Dungeons and Dragons. We know that poo poo is irredeemable.

Yeah, pretty much.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

weekly font posted:

Yeah, stuff like The Substitute 2 is the ideal We Hate Movies episode. Nobody else on the internet can make fun of movies like that and have it be funny.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I kinda want to call in Xanadu, just to see how they'd handle a musical. Or "musical", I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I'm thinking either Fortress (1993) or Beowulf (1999). Get another punch on their Christopher Lambert card.