Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
RIP Frankenstein's beautiful original voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

Hey, hey, it's all good, I'm not overly praising her, just saying I'm looking forward to seeing her and Kairi kick rear end. Nothin' wrong with appreciating a good fight.

Whoops, forgot that one. Rule number 2 is what I meant (about treating Mordred like a woman). She gets right-pissed at Kairi for even mentioning her gender, after all.
It can't happen soon enough

Pretty sure friend codes are fine in this thread, can't go wrong with having more good servants to borrow.
650 720 124 is mine

Primordial Languo is holding me back from getting the first skill maxed on Musashi, why does she need so many of it :argh:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

HiveCommander posted:

Pretty sure friend codes are fine in this thread, can't go wrong with having more good servants to borrow.
650 720 124 is mine

Primordial Languo is holding me back from getting the first skill maxed on Musashi, why does she need so many of it :argh:

All right, cool, I'm 593 320 516 if anyone is interested:

Still working on getting Merlin some level breaks. Having missed some of the demon pillars sucks. :(

and mother of god, game, can I get a decent assassin please, and no, Stheno doesn't really count

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

SpaceDrake posted:

The greatest mobage waifu simulator ever created by man.

(Sadly, the OVA won't really give you a proper impression of the game itself - it's just too short, and the really cool parts of the story come much later. Try playing it if you're really curious, although the experience can be hampered a bit by having to play it alongside a summary or printed script.)
I was being 99% facetious, I know FGO's deal. But unless it comes out in English I'm never playing it.

Personally I feel that the various Fate spinoffs have completely diluted anything that was remotely cool or interesting about the original series. I was never even really sold on hollow ataraxia (a game I still have not played), to say nothing of Apocrypha, GO, strange fake, Extra, Extella, etc. etc. etc. After a point it just kind of becomes a blur and the Servants they come up with is really scraping the bottom of the barrel. I'd much rather they focus on bringing some new properties into that universe. Remember Mahotsukai no Yoru? I barely do.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I think majority of the fanbase who bothered to play those games would disagree with you about sequel and spin-off ruined the franchise.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Pretty much.

Fate is a fun series that has remained fun over the years.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I actually don't have anything against HA, I just don't know if I can go back to a version of FSN that doesn't have the VA work. If a voice patch from the Vita version ever finds its way into the wild that'd be pretty cool.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nate RFB posted:

Remember Mahotsukai no Yoru? I barely do.

The people who actually read it barely do too, apparently.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is Extella supposed to be any good, from a gameplay perspective? I "enjoyed" Extra when it came out purely for the novelty of having a JRPG where you could control servants, but the actual gameplay was pretty terrible and the story not something to write home about to make up for that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Reports on Extella are gameplay is fun, but if you can't put up with the Muso cycle of kill things head towards objectives and kill more things you're not gonna like it. It's also got a pretty loving nutty story if you're into that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If you're not going to commit the time/effort to write the type of character arcs that made FSN and Zero pretty cool you might as well go with nutty.

One takeaway I've had from the GO madness, which I dunno maybe I'm mistaken about but it'd be cool if I was right, is that Tamamo has seemingly taken over as a mascot instead of YetAnotherSaber for Fate to a certain extent. That's a development I can get behind.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
FGO is a really good game if you wanna see different takes on characters you're familiar with to see how they change in different classes that are pulled from different points in their lives, especially Gilgamesh who becomes a legit hero in the Babylon chapter.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I was being 99% facetious, I know FGO's deal. But unless it comes out in English I'm never playing it.

Personally I feel that the various Fate spinoffs have completely diluted anything that was remotely cool or interesting about the original series. I was never even really sold on hollow ataraxia (a game I still have not played), to say nothing of Apocrypha, GO, strange fake, Extra, Extella, etc. etc. etc. After a point it just kind of becomes a blur and the Servants they come up with is really scraping the bottom of the barrel. I'd much rather they focus on bringing some new properties into that universe. Remember Mahotsukai no Yoru? I barely do.

I think HA is basically just a glorified fan disk, almost like a VN version of Carnival Phantasm (but with a story tacked on)?

I haven't actually played or read any of the spin-off stuff, excluding CP, but the impression I get from the bits I see posted of it is that it's fairly standard (if fanservice heavy, in all senses of the term) shounen fare + the servant gimmick (which is a pretty good gimmick). Is that accurate, or am I way off base here?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It changes from story to story, but they do all sort of vary on the same "Fight fight fight" stuff and less on the personal character drama that FSN had.

Fate/Extra is sort of a play on the Holy Grail War but with computers, actually learning opponent identities and skills is essential beating them in an RPG rock paper scissors like gameplay. The story itself is pretty standard and doesn't really do anything special until the last boss that being said the servants in it are pretty cool and the choose your servant gimmick is a good choice. CCC improves on the mechanics and does more with the story, characters, and setting and gives you Gilgamesh and some goofy rear end costumes for your servant.

Extella is just a musou game but is written in a similar vein to Extra, but with more fanservice and loving balls to the walls insanity.

Apocrypha is a story about two teams of servants that fight each other, the central characters are Mordred and Wolverine so you get a bit of insight onto what the Round Table and being Artoria's child is like from Mordred's side and some world-building in the Fate series since it introduces the Ruler class, but it's still a fairly standard fightmans story with a bunch of new servants.

GO is probably the most interesting from multiple avenues since it not only brings back old servants, but entirely news and revises old servants into new classes giving those servants a very fresh way to take them from since they are coming from a different point in their lives or are altered in some way. The game does a fantastic job at giving a lot of time to characters you barely ever saw do anything other than fight in other stuff, even FSN, and you get to see a lot of fun and great character interactions. It helps this one is written by Nasu so you get all of the Nasuisms that make his stuff so unique and fresh to read and a lot of the batshit craziness that comes with it too. It is one of the few games I have ever seen balance a cast of some insane number of characters and introduce new ones and make most of them really likeable or enjoyable or just loving cool. It helps the actual story writing while crazy makes a lot of sense and his their own characters in them and goes to really good places too. The actual game itself had only gotten really good as of like last year, but it's a genuinely fun game now I feel that is not just a pay to get broken servant and win game.

Idk about Fate/Strange Fake I tried reading it once and it had like two chapters and I forgot to keep following it

I would definitely say that CCC and GO are the coolest spin offs out of the whole lot, it's a fuckin shame both of them aren't in English, lol.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm kind of down with Apocrypha if only for the Akira Ishida character designs.

What the hell is the state of the Fate series timeline at this point? SN/Zero/HA was straightforward enough being direct sequels or prequels to each other but I presume that everything else is just sort of their own self-contained thing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Strange Fake is basically the author trying to write a clash between the overpowered characters in existence. Jury's still out on if he can do it since it's still in the startup process and he stopped to wait for Babylon to come out in F/GO.

z0glin Warchief posted:

it's fairly standard (if fanservice heavy, in all senses of the term) shounen fare + the servant gimmick (which is a pretty good gimmick). Is that accurate, or am I way off base here?

Yes and no.

Hollow Ataraxia is two stories in one: there's a huge amount of fanservice character interaction stuff, but there's also a very obvious main plot that is legitimately really good and very much worth reading. The entire story is a supplement to F/SN itself, but at the same time it's also its conclusion: there's a reason you've never seen anyone directly do a F/SN sequel, HA sent everyone off really well.

Also to get some perspective on what GO's playbook is like, before GO Cursed Arm Hassan was some random side villain who only existed in one route of the original game. Come Camelot, and he's straight up promoted to one of the main heroes and we get a huge amount of backstory and insight into his character. He's legit probably the most developed of all the Hassans now.

When GO really got started, it written with the intent of wanting to make Servants all seem like the legendary figures they're supposed to be. They should never just be some random side character, they should always be someone memorable. And for the most part, between the amazing events and the more fleshed out story chapters, the game has succeeded in shining a spotlight on almost the entire cast. The only casualties are the poor bastards who showed up at the beginning, and even they are steadily getting rescued by events and future appearances.

Nate RFB posted:

What the hell is the state of the Fate series timeline at this point? SN/Zero/HA was straightforward enough being direct sequels or prequels to each other but I presume that everything else is just sort of their own self-contained thing.

There has never been a direct timeline even since the original F/SN. Everything is alternate timelines, everything.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Thanks for the write-up! I didn't realize mobage could actually have stories more in-depth than like vanilla Touhou games, so it's interesting to hear that about F/GO.

Nate RFB posted:

I'm kind of down with Apocrypha if only for the Akira Ishida character designs.

I don't think HA is canon per se, more like "this is stuff that could have happened in various other timelines. don't think too hard about it."

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Akira Ishida did not design any Apocrypha character AFAIK. Just draws the manga art.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I just like Akira Ishida a lot, OK

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like FGO took a beach event with swimsuit servants and turned it into Fist of the North Star, this game can do no wrong to me at this point.

Until they drop King Hassan and I don't pull him and start calling it poo poo again.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Everything are alternative timeline, but the event difference was either slightly or very different. The minor difference one are zero and SN, then HA.

Extra is another timeline where magic died.

Apo is where the greater grail got stolen in the fifth war.

Fate go is a close sequel to Zero and maybe SN/HA where the the timeline splitting point happened when, according to what i heard, literally one guy decided not to suicide in Lord El-Melloi II Case Files.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 4, 2017

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I would legitimately call F/GO's output past Camelot some of the strongest stuff that's ever come out of the entire Fate series. Yet at the same time, everything prior to Okeanos is some of the shittiest stuff. It is amazing how far the game has come.

It is basically the epitome of the Fate series: awesome characters, cool fights, sweet tunes, a constantly changing locale, and a wonderful blend of comedy and drama. The only thing it's missing is the usual long-winded discussions on the human psyche, and it's not that that's not there, it's just that since the MC is very purposefully written to just be an ordinary dude all of the psychological stuff is shifted to other characters you usually don't get to see the inner monologue of.

Fujimaru (I spelled his name right this time!) is also bar none the most hilarious Fate protagonist of all time. This is the fucker who's plan to defeat a lucha libre obsessed goddess is to piledrive her, and even when they get teleported 200 meters higher than expected they just loving go with it.

Nyaa posted:

Fate go is a close sequel to Zero and maybe SN where the the timeline splitting point happened when, according to what i heard, literally one guy decided not to suicide in Lord El-Melloi II Case Files.

It's an alternate timeline entirely, the Holy Grail War as we know it didn't even start until 2004 in the F/GO universe.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It even has ships, oh lord does it have ships.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Do you remember The Golden King? That meh theme from the original series that basically everyone forgot about, to the point Gilgamesh just got a new theme entirely in CCC?

Well it came back for Babylon, and it was amazing.

Do you remember Lancelot in Fate/Zero? How he was a tragic figure who lost himself in his grief? Well he was neat, but it's kinda hard to write a story around a crazy dude lost in his own failures.

quote:

When the knight has left, Lancelot asks what they should do next. Should they sally forth to remove the source of their sorrow? Cleopatra laughs, saying that this makes it sound like she's afraid of us. She agrees for the knights to patrol the town, all in order to bolster the citizens' sense of security. But not Lancelot and Tristan. The moment they hit the streets they are going to start looking for girls to flirt with anyway.

Lancelot: ...no, I wouldn't...
Tristan: ...how do I put this... she has completely grasped our way of life...
Lancelot: No, Sir Tristan. I was purely thinking of the town's safety.
Tristan: I heard that in the town's tavern, just the other day a heartbroken, beautiful woman was spotted, having been abandoned by a man beleaguered by gambling debts...
Lancelot: Which tavern could it be? Perhaps it's about the beauty from 3rd Street's Tonelico Bar?
Cleopatra: Hohoho, rather than standing by in your room, perhaps it'd be better for you to stand by in prison?

quote:

Another man arrives, an ally of Tristan’s, but as soon as Mashu detects the newcomer he runs away before you can get a good look at him.

Tristan: Sir…? Just what are you---

A mysterious black knight appears on the battlefield.

Mysterious Black Knight: …AAAAAAAAAAAAA!!
Mashu: Yet another newcomer!
Tristan: What’s the matter, La---
Mysterious Black Knight: SHUUUUUUTTTT UPPPPPPPPPPPPP---!!
Tristan: Hey, Sir! Why are you suddenly putting me in a rear naked choke---!?
Tristan: I yield! I yield, I yield! I’m tapping out! I’m tapping out so please!

While the mysterious black knight is choking out Tristan, Mashu notes that the enemy is in disarray, fighting amongst themselves. Though she does not fully understand it, she is also getting a strange feeling.

Mashu: That black knight alone must not be forgiven. Anyway, let’s mash him up like Gawain cuisine. That is what my body is telling me I must do…!!
Gudao: Get them, Masherker!

So instead we got Saber Lancelot, Bumbling Dad Extraordinaire who really really really wants to make his "son" happy but is super bad at it because he can't stop flirting with every woman he sees. But at the same time, his serious appearance in Camelot has him as the troubled soldier who desperately wants to not fail his liege again but at the same time is struggling with his own conscience. It takes an encounter with his (pissed off) son for him to get a grip, and in an amusing irony he once again betrays Artoria to join your side... a betrayal that does not go unnoted, as one of the other new characters gets huge aspects of his own character revealed in his ensuing duel with Lancelot.

Pretty much every "returning" character gets a similar treatment in GO. Okeanos told us more about Heracles and Medea through introducing Jason and Medea Lily, London showed us what Mordred was like post Apocrypha, America gave us a glimpse at Cu's thoughts of leadership and his supporting cast, Babylon told us tons about all of the Knights of the Round Table and the Hassans, and Babylon was both one long look at Gilgamesh as the legendary king he was said to be and a deeper look at Medusa in different phases of her life.

And I guess Orleans and Septem existed too.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 4, 2017

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Cosmic Air takes cues from Golden King, it is not entirely new it is just a less obviously villainous version of the song.

Also Golden King is loving great and I will not hear people poo poo talk it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Captain Baal posted:

:same:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Captain Baal posted:

:yeah:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

HiveCommander posted:

Whoops, forgot that one. Rule number 2 is what I meant (about treating Mordred like a woman). She gets right-pissed at Kairi for even mentioning her gender, after all.

650 720 124 is mine

Ah, nice. Added you. Here is my stuff. My friend code is 150,865,798

edit: By the way, Chicago is pretty decent for Infinity Gears. I was able to farm up the 14 I needed for Jack in a reasonable amount of time. Now just need to wait until the Assassin ascension daily.

One limitation I feel like they probably should have put in is to not allow your support servant to be a duplicate of one of your fielded servants. A lot of the time a duplicate of one of your current servants makes a pretty good addition to a party, especially it seems with quick/crit teams.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 4, 2017

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I got Tama and Waver to 90, but now I don't have any QP. :gonk:

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, nice. Added you. Here is my stuff. My friend code is 150,865,798

edit: By the way, Chicago is pretty decent for Infinity Gears. I was able to farm up the 14 I needed for Jack in a reasonable amount of time. Now just need to wait until the Assassin ascension daily.

One limitation I feel like they probably should have put in is to not allow your support servant to be a duplicate of one of your fielded servants. A lot of the time a duplicate of one of your current servants makes a pretty good addition to a party, especially it seems with quick/crit teams.

Don't give DW ideas!! :mad:

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

HiveCommander posted:

650 720 124 is mine

Why did you max Kuro's projection first?

SpaceDrake posted:

All right, cool, I'm 593 320 516 if anyone is interested:

and mother of god, game, can I get a decent assassin please, and no, Stheno doesn't really count

Stheno was m first gold card and my first full ascension, she carried me through France :colbert:

Anyway, here's my stuff:

No Extras yet, Kuro's getting grailed to 90 soon, Mord is NP2, Quetz isn't done yet, Jack is NP3, and Berserkers are trash. Friend code is 548,084,057.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AfroSquirrel posted:

Anyway, here's my stuff:

No Extras yet, Kuro's getting grailed to 90 soon, Mord is NP2, Quetz isn't done yet, Jack is NP3, and Berserkers are trash. Friend code is 548,084,057.

Ah, so the final Jack portrait gives her clothes again? That would be nice if so (though unfortunately her sprite will still have no pants).

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, so the final Jack portrait gives her clothes again? That would be nice if so (though unfortunately her sprite will still have no pants).

Some clothes return, but it's mostly the pose. I've just kept her on her first sprite (selectable from the servant screen. Kuro and Quetz are also using earlier card art because I don't like their final arts).

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I just don't want to play a mobage, much less one in moon, or read summaries. I'll settle for people occasionally telling me amusing stuff like Medb being a Rider because she's DTF.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
If we're dropping friend codes again, here's mine.

855 769 817

I switch between Martha and Jeanne on my wildcard, Musashi and Okita for sabers, and Cleopatra and Jack on assassins sometimes.

At some point I should finally max my crew but meh.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Can people still hijack your account from knowing your Servants and ID? The only thing that worries me and why I've been a little cagey with what Servant's I have (mainly on Reddit) since I've heard of it.

I got Serenity to level 60/70. Got David to 50/60. Kiyohime to 60/70. It seems like I can get like 4-5 Servants to 60/70 not to hard with 230 4* EXP cards.

Argh though, my remaining unleveled 4*'s and 5*'s take so many more aaaaaargh.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder if they are ever going to release 5* EXP cards. 4* is the highest now, right?

I find that getting servants leveled all the way to 90 (just from an EXP standpoint, ignoring ascension mats) really isn't that tough if you have a bunch of apples. It can take a long time if you have to wait for your stamina to recharge, but if you use apples to grind you can get one maxed out within a few of relatively light playing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I gave my friend ID some time back, and I'm too lazy to post it again. Just click the questions mark under my name. :P

(I have a lvl 70 Angra and now a Merlin and a Musashi that aren't high-level yet)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Captain Baal posted:

It even has ships, oh lord does it have ships.

Okita x Hijikata (Drifters Ver) is cool as hell

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Can't say I was expecting that when I saw fanart of it, but there it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

AfroSquirrel posted:

Why did you max Kuro's projection first?

I use her more for the NP burst than a sustained crit hitter (That's JAlter's job, after all). I personally don't like things like crit damage being tied to a defensive skill; it's good, but not quite good enough to blow an evade cooldown just because I have a few Kuro cards and a lot of stars for the turn. Not-prana burst being on a defensive skill isn't so bad though, since you'll be using it the turn they NP and that will get the enemy's attention.

InfinityComplex posted:

If we're dropping friend codes again, here's mine.

855 769 817

I switch between Martha and Jeanne on my wildcard, Musashi and Okita for sabers, and Cleopatra and Jack on assassins sometimes.

At some point I should finally max my crew but meh.

Dumplings CE on Musashi? I'm guessing this is left over from swapping her out with Okita, but it's not much use when she only has 1 quick card