Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The real question is, was the giggle intentional or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BuddyChrist posted:

In the fight with Quiet, once you've figured out where she's hiding and tagged her you can call in a supply drop on her exact location. As long as you keep popping out of cover to keep her distracted then the supply drop will smack her right in the head. Do this enough times = non-lethal takedown.

I did that because I didn't have a non-lethal sniper rifle researched and I forgot you can research AND deploy in the field.
She doesn't move off the arch until you attack or get too close to the first time is easy.
Hell, it only takes two times.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

BuddyChrist posted:

In the fight with Quiet, once you've figured out where she's hiding and tagged her you can call in a supply drop on her exact location. As long as you keep popping out of cover to keep her distracted then the supply drop will smack her right in the head. Do this enough times = non-lethal takedown.

The great thing is that this is completely intentional because if you try the same thing on a later optional hard mode replay of the fight then she's smart enough to dodge it.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Sponge Baathist posted:

A reminder that one way to defeat the sniper The End in MGS3 is to let 1(2?) week irl pass between his introduction and the fight. Or you could immediately catch and release his parrot to give away his position. Of you can eat it and see it later in the game as a ghost. Those sentences aren't spoilered because that's just gameplay mechanics.

I played the poo poo out of MGS3 it is my favorite. I guess my absolute favorite thing in that game is the weird prison dream sequence. It is a slasher game with different controls that you only play if you save and quit while in prison.

MGS is one of those brands where sometimes it's better to wait a few years after the game is out to play it so you can hear about all the weird poo poo you can do to get by when the going gets rough.

when you fight volgin you can discharge his electric attacks if you toss those luminescent mushrooms onto the boss arena.

mgs3 loving owns

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
While we're talking about cut scenes I think this is one of my favorites ever for just one line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOi3CzZjV0M

"Choose your next words with exceptional care" is probably one of the most intimidating things ever said in a video game.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Sponge Baathist posted:

A reminder that one way to defeat the sniper The End in MGS3 is to let 1(2?) week irl pass between his introduction and the fight. Or you could immediately catch and release his parrot to give away his position. Of you can eat it and see it later in the game as a ghost. Those sentences aren't spoilered because that's just gameplay mechanics.

I played the poo poo out of MGS3 it is my favorite. I guess my absolute favorite thing in that game is the weird prison dream sequence. It is a slasher game with different controls that you only play if you save and quit while in prison.

MGS is one of those brands where sometimes it's better to wait a few years after the game is out to play it so you can hear about all the weird poo poo you can do to get by when the going gets rough.

In my very first playthrough I sniped him the first time you see him (in a non-combat scene) because it seemed like a good idea at the time, never realizing it would cut out a great boss fight until reading about it much later. I've heard how great the sniper fight can be but I've never done it because it was just so great that they included that option to begin with.

Someone should really just make a PYF Metal Gear moment thread, there are so many things to choose from.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

el oso posted:

In my very first playthrough I sniped him the first time you see him (in a non-combat scene) because it seemed like a good idea at the time, never realizing it would cut out a great boss fight until reading about it much later. I've heard how great the sniper fight can be but I've never done it because it was just so great that they included that option to begin with.

Someone should really just make a PYF Metal Gear moment thread, there are so many things to choose from.

First time playing through, I sniped The End right after the cutscene. Then he exploded and the tire from his wheelchair hit me in the head and killed me cause I was at low health...

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

el oso posted:

Basically watch Something Awful's own Chip and Ironicus play the MGS series, they go over just about every keen little detail with a genuine love and dedication to the series.

In particular their MGS 3 LP, caveman Big Boss is cannon.

Feonir has a new favorite as of 09:44 on Jan 4, 2017

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Dishonored 2: I killed all of a guard's buddies, so he ran away. Couldn't find him despite looking, but eventually I found him hiding out pretending to be a normal NPC, warming his hands on a campfire in a corner. Didn't get alerted with me walking by, nothing. Coward.

e: oh and a howler threw a fish head at me.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 09:46 on Jan 4, 2017

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Thin Privilege posted:

Dishonored 2: I killed all of a guard's buddies, so he ran away. Couldn't find him despite looking, but eventually I found him hiding out pretending to be a normal NPC, warming his hands on a campfire in a corner. Didn't get alerted with me walking by, nothing. Coward.

Sounds like the most intelligent npc in the game.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Never had the kind of job that made you say, "gently caress it. I don't get paid enough for this poo poo."?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

jojoinnit posted:

Holy poo poo that's amazing.

*suppressed giggle*

*suppressed giggle*

SPACE!

I'm honestly a little sad he suppressed the giggles. His character is clearly losing his marbles at this point in the game anyways and is actively killing his own soldiers out of paranoia. gently caress it, let him collapse into maniacal laughter as he says "SPACE!".

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Action Tortoise posted:

when you fight volgin you can discharge his electric attacks if you toss those luminescent mushrooms onto the boss arena.

mgs3 loving owns

There's a ton of goofy things you can do in that fight. Apparently Volgin is phobic of frogs, so if you throw a live one at him he freaks out. Also, there's the gimmick cold war camo with the us and ussr flags on the front and back respectively. He'll hesitate to attack you if the Soviet flag is pointed towards him. :ussr:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
volgin has a lover in his ranks. you can impersonate him during the fight. he gets confused at first but when he finds out what's going on he gets super pissed and fights even more aggressively.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Randalor posted:

I'm honestly a little sad he suppressed the giggles. His character is clearly losing his marbles at this point in the game anyways and is actively killing his own soldiers out of paranoia. gently caress it, let him collapse into maniacal laughter as he says "SPACE!".

I've now watched every Tim Curry cutscene on YouTube and they're all amazing. At one point he takes a good long look at his assistants rear end then gives the camera a knowing smirk. It almost makes me want to play the game but there's no way it can live up to the Curryscenes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

jojoinnit posted:

I've now watched every Tim Curry cutscene on YouTube and they're all amazing. At one point he takes a good long look at his assistants rear end then gives the camera a knowing smirk. It almost makes me want to play the game but there's no way it can live up to the Curryscenes.

You can shoot polar bears out of a cannon. It then gets a little parachute and slowly drifts down.

Emperor Takei has a giant robotic samurai and most of his vehicles have transform modes for aquatic or flight capabilities.

Not sure what the allies have but it's also probably ridiculous

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I think the Allies have a ship that grows legs when you order it to move onto land.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Choco1980 posted:

There's a ton of goofy things you can do in that fight. Apparently Volgin is phobic of frogs, so if you throw a live one at him he freaks out. Also, there's the gimmick cold war camo with the us and ussr flags on the front and back respectively. He'll hesitate to attack you if the Soviet flag is pointed towards him. :ussr:

I thought I knew all the little secrets to MGS3, but I didn't know about the frog phobia :stare:.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I think it's actually that lightning will strike the frog - you can find out earlier in the game if you call Para-Medic that those frogs apparently act as lightning rods. I could never get it to work though.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
best easter egg in the original snake eater was the hidden action game.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Len posted:

You can shoot polar bears out of a cannon. It then gets a little parachute and slowly drifts down.

Emperor Takei has a giant robotic samurai and most of his vehicles have transform modes for aquatic or flight capabilities.

Not sure what the allies have but it's also probably ridiculous

Allies only get laser cannons and freeze-ray choppers in the base game. In the expansion they also get hover artillery and Terminator robots (the big ones seen at the start of Terminator, not Arnold Schwarzenegger.)

Basically, at this point, the Red Alert games are almost the Saints Row of RTS games in how seriously they treat themselves.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Randalor posted:

Allies only get laser cannons and freeze-ray choppers in the base game. In the expansion they also get hover artillery and Terminator robots (the big ones seen at the start of Terminator, not Arnold Schwarzenegger.)

Basically, at this point, the Red Alert games are almost the Saints Row of RTS games in how seriously they treat themselves.

See also the presidential ads. I was one of the many people confused when Red Alert 3 posted the Soviets getting a mammoth tank (as in, an actual prehistoric mammoth with armor plating and two cannons on the back) as an April Fool's joke because it seemed completely plausible at that point.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Cythereal posted:

See also the presidential ads. I was one of the many people confused when Red Alert 3 posted the Soviets getting a mammoth tank (as in, an actual prehistoric mammoth with armor plating and two cannons on the back) as an April Fool's joke because it seemed completely plausible at that point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIRPcICB-iY

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

LSD at the gangbang posted:

I think it was someone in this thread that posted about Fantasy Life. That post was the last straw for me, and I got it for myself for Christmas. It has a lot of little :3: things. My favorite so far is the talking butterfly wigging out at a talking flower and shouting "Kill it, kill it!"

I had pretty much the exact same experience; I started playing it last week and I really haven't wanted to stop. The way the Lives quietly but essentially interlock is terrific. It's a beautifully-crafted game, full of texture and flavor, and the dialogue is funny and smart without coming off as trying too hard or impressed with itself — and there's a lot of it. And you can get a pet cat and bring the pet cat along on your adventures, so :kimchi:

Also, the music is great, and the Mt. Snowpeak theme sounds like a lost Michael Nyman track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNHBIyu4C9E

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Action Tortoise posted:

best easter egg in the original snake eater was the hidden action game.

Correction: The best easter egg in MGS3 was the conversation you have with Sigint if you call him immediately after that game-within-a-dream. He tells you about his weirdest nightmare: One in which a metal gear made out of poop goes on a rampage, shooting out poop rockets, and anything it hits also turns into poop.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The shame was that game doesn't make it into the HD collection. The game was an engine for a scrapped Konami game, but it also made it difficult to port so they just didn't bother.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Choco1980 posted:

Correction: The best easter egg in MGS3 was the conversation you have with Sigint if you call him immediately after that game-within-a-dream. He tells you about his weirdest nightmare: One in which a metal gear made out of poop goes on a rampage, shooting out poop rockets, and anything it hits also turns into poop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeqFfjSl1qk

:cmon:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Lets talk about the Cleaners, my favourite enemy group in The Division.

In the game's fiction New York City has been completely devastated by a viral outbreak, and the Cleaners are survivors who have banded together under the leadership of a former sanitation worker Joe Ferro to literally burn the infection out. With the exception of their "Horsemen" (as in The Four...) unit, these guys use nothing but improvised and home made equipment. Their basic rifles are weird flamethrower/rifle hybrids, their explosives are a combination of orange juice and napalm, their armour is off the shelf gas masks and high visibility vests, with even the "advanced" technology they have such as drone guns being little more than a CCTV camera attached to a box of ammunition.

They're fantastic to fight and I think they're perfectly balanced: they're the midway tier enemies of the game and they have numbers, but no real combat organization (out of combat they're incredibly regimented and are run in shifts almost identical to actual sanitation services). They hit hard and their flamethrowers can disable your special abilities, but their gas tanks and explosives are easy to hit which quickly nullifies them. Their armoured units are tough but they lack the mobility of military enemies, they come at you in sizeable groups but will panic easily (especially if you hit a gas tank), and though their turrets and other special attacks are a giant pain in the arse, unlike later enemy groups the devices go haywire and self destruct when the operator is killed.

Even in terms of story they're quite well developed. Joe Ferro genuinely believes him and his men are helping the city in the long run, and a number of audio logs and chatter between them shows how close to breaking under the strain they are - the Cleaners have taken it on themselves to burn people alive and bring down the city's safe areas in order to prevent it spreading further. In a way it's absolutely horrifying that you can understand their logic, even if they're actually hurting efforts to fight the drat virus. Too pride and stubborn to work with the government they're hostile to everyone else in the city to the extent that even private, highly trained military forces won't engage with them because, you know, they loving well burn people alive. Several bits of story even imply the Cleaners themselves are infected as they're working in highly toxic, thoroughly infected areas of NYC with the aforementioned crappy store-bought (or looted) gas masks. Again, they're just too drat stubborn to acknowledge anyone else knows better than them.

I love them. They really strengthen the Division's fiction and highlight how utterly hosed the situation is. You kill Joe Ferro quite early on overall in the story, about a third through, but the Cleaners remain diligently working to the shift patterns and plans he's set. No other group has that kind of loyalty to its own members.

But still. THEY BURN PEOPLE ALIVE.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah, the Cleaners are.... disturbing.

Like, no amount of cartoonish hyperviolence in video games will gross me out, but the thing with the Cleaners is that the game's overall setting is so realistic, so believable that it brings the Cleaners to life in a whole new way. Some of the recordings and other intel items where you hear them in action drat near made me actually nauseous.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Disturbing Cleaners recording, you say? :v:

Just to put it into perspective, the game has things called ECHOs which are basically still images you can walk around in, listening to noises and dialogue (the handwave being that they're composed of surveillance footage, mobile phone exchanges and all that) which took place "at the time". A few involving the Cleaners are:

- A group firebombing civilians trying to flee the city in a car. All you can hear in this is the Cleaners' heavy breathing along with the screams of the people inside the car, including what's unmistakably a kid.

- Cleaners burning a survivor to death on the pretense that his erratic breathing is a sign of infection. The ECHO shows he's holding an asthma inhaler, but they don't buy it and kill him anyway.

- The Cleaners are systematically going through a block of apartments after killing the local guard force, and have completely free run of the place. They're still at it when you get a mission to go through this place and the Cleaners can be heard burning people to death in the next rooms without even shooting them first, and you can hear surviving people begging to be let go.

See, it'd be easy to turn them into cackling villains who were getting off on this - there's a group called the Rikers who fill that niche, in fact - but the clinical, almost detached way they approach things is what makes them so chilling. Near the end of the main storyline, and the "Underground" DLC, you even start coming across stories of individual Cleaners finally losing it and suffering mental breakdowns from what they've seen and allowed to happen.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

I had pretty much the exact same experience; I started playing it last week and I really haven't wanted to stop. The way the Lives quietly but essentially interlock is terrific. It's a beautifully-crafted game, full of texture and flavor, and the dialogue is funny and smart without coming off as trying too hard or impressed with itself — and there's a lot of it. And you can get a pet cat and bring the pet cat along on your adventures, so :kimchi:

Also, the music is great, and the Mt. Snowpeak theme sounds like a lost Michael Nyman track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNHBIyu4C9E

You also get to learn magic from a cat if you choose the Magician Life, which is good and cool. If you max out any of the Lives you can choose the Life Master as a companion, so you can have an all-cat party. Also, all of Jinx's attacks involve her doing some cute cat thing and unleashing terrible powers, like rolling around on the floor meowing for attention while shooting out waves of magical death :3

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The game Anarcute is an arcadey riot simulator that plays like Pikmin or Overlord and, true to the title, is adorable because it uses a cartoony art style and your rioters are all cuddly little cartoon animals. The animation for the crowds is great because as you recruit more rioters they start dynamically doing things like popping flares and raising protest signs, and will scavenge things like traffic cones or garbage cans to use as makeshift helmets as you walk by them.

Also it pushes the "cute" animal gimmick to pretty funny extremes, like mussel rioters that have big wet doe eyes laying flat on the fleshy inside of their shell.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

poptart_fairy posted:

See, it'd be easy to turn them into cackling villains who were getting off on this - there's a group called the Rikers who fill that niche, in fact - but the clinical, almost detached way they approach things is what makes them so chilling. Near the end of the main storyline, and the "Underground" DLC, you even start coming across stories of individual Cleaners finally losing it and suffering mental breakdowns from what they've seen and allowed to happen.

Just hearing about it almost makes me want to play the game, and I can really appreciate that they don't from watching videos alone. A lot of games would have made the leader a "crazy" guy who would rant about how much he loved fire and that burning people was the best. I have no clue how the game handles the rest of the factions, but the cleaners alone are pretty great from an observer point of view even.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Tower of Guns is one of the roguelike-likes that came out a few years back, though pleasantly not procedural. It has a variety of 'narrators' that give plots (no effect on the game, just light-hearted comments at the start and end of each level). One of these is a tutorial helpbot, who shows up for the first few games to tell you what the areas are called, how to progress, remember to pick up collectibles, etc.

I reset it after not playing for a long time, remembering the maps and enemies but wanting to start fresh. The tutorial helpbot showed up, and was suitably surprised that a person in their first playthrough was getting so far. I screwed up eventually and died, but now I'm determined to see what it says if I can make it to the end in my 'first' game...

It also has hugbots. They don't attack you, just come up and buzz pleasantly and look happy. They're the first creatures a new player meets, they turn up at least once in every level, they're easy to kill, and they drop a huge amount of stuff (IIRC). The game also quietly gets harder every time you kill one. Suck it, kill-crazy newbies... (though they are handy for small boosts or emergencies, and not entirely a unique thing).

Finally - the game is set in a cartoonishly-large skyscraper-sized tank. If you're lucky you'll get a set of levels on its exterior, and if you have the right abilities there's nothing stopping you from climbing to the very top or maybe into the barrel, where the developer left a bunch of handy pickups. It's easy to assume it's just background decoration or an invisible wall, so it was a pretty nice surprise when I managed it the first time.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tower of Guns is pretty great, just wish you could use more than one weapon

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

uvar posted:

Finally - the game is set in a cartoonishly-large skyscraper-sized tank. If you're lucky you'll get a set of levels on its exterior, and if you have the right abilities there's nothing stopping you from climbing to the very top or maybe into the barrel, where the developer left a bunch of handy pickups. It's easy to assume it's just background decoration or an invisible wall, so it was a pretty nice surprise when I managed it the first time.

The bit where the developer pops into your comms system and says "Look yeah okay you can go outside and climb around and whatever but the collision detection is loving rubbish out here, I didn't bother to check it all that thoroughly, remember your reset button" was awesome.

Also if you have the 'no fall damage' powerup you can jump off the top of the tower and end up in the town (a theoretically secret area), and you can immediately re-enter the tower from level 1 but with all your gear and powerups intact.

And making double jumping into an infinitely-stackable powerup is still hands-down the best game design decision I've ever seen.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Tower of Guns is pretty great, just wish you could use more than one weapon

You can, there are other weapons that show up in the game as ultra-rare purchasables. You'll probably only get one in a run, though, unless you stack Town falls.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

uvar posted:

:staredog: I didn't bother looking around once I got out of the level and the message from the developer popped up that said the collision was bad up there. Evidently I should have.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Digirat posted:

:staredog: I didn't bother looking around once I got out of the level and the message from the developer popped up that said the collision was bad up there. Evidently I should have.

The upgraded "machine-gun" has enough recoil to let you fly if you shoot downwards, so it's not exactly tough to explore if you want, though my first ascent was with a mere sextuple-jump (I took a picture as proof). It never occurred to me to go downwards, though, I thought you just got reset? Never reached the town, certainly.

Apparently the dev added stuff to the game since I last played - there's new modes including one with infinite jumps but you get hurt (die?) if you touch the floor, and another that makes surfaces 'bouncy'. Ugh, fine, I'll stop peeking around corners and actually try for the par times for once...

(Never cared much for most of the boss fights though.)

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

uvar posted:

The upgraded "machine-gun" has enough recoil to let you fly if you shoot downwards, so it's not exactly tough to explore if you want, though my first ascent was with a mere sextuple-jump (I took a picture as proof). It never occurred to me to go downwards, though, I thought you just got reset? Never reached the town, certainly.

Apparently the dev added stuff to the game since I last played - there's new modes including one with infinite jumps but you get hurt (die?) if you touch the floor, and another that makes surfaces 'bouncy'. Ugh, fine, I'll stop peeking around corners and actually try for the par times for once...

(Never cared much for most of the boss fights though.)

Jump off the Battlements with the lift ticket starting perk to loop down. Use endless mode to loop up. Combine them to really gently caress with enemy generation rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you may die
Dec 15, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

I did that because I didn't have a non-lethal sniper rifle researched and I forgot you can research AND deploy in the field.
She doesn't move off the arch until you attack or get too close to the first time is easy.
Hell, it only takes two times.

I'd like to see someone beat her non-lethally on extreme any other way.

el oso posted:

Are you sure you didn't just have a leech on you?

edit: "kill her non lethally"