Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Unfortunately my list is certainly not reflective of what was the very best television in 2016. I simply did not have enough time to get around to many shows I'm sure are worthy of top 10 consideration. I definitely have a nice list of shows to check out or catch up on thanks to the thread. That said of the things I watched here's what I liked best:

10. Bojack Horseman
I've worried that my list may be over representing the cartoon genre but I feel it's more diverse than ever and Bojack is a great example of that. The underwater episode was really creative and fun with a great punchline. The last hurrah with Sarah Lynn was tragic and beautiful.
9. The Venture Bros.
Another strong season, here's hoping the wait for the next is shorter. I liked the change of backdrop and roles this season a lot. The only problem was there wasn't more and I just feel they could do great thirteen episode season.
8. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
It took two years but you got me TVIV. I tried this show twice before and it just didn't stick but the third time was the charm. Rachel Bloom is my newest celebrity crush and if you have time I highly recommend her youtube channel. The show itself is fun but I feel Bloom and the musical numbers put it over the top.
7. Steven Universe
This show just gives me the warm fuzzies and is consistently great. There is literally one episode I didn't love and that was Onion Gang, given that over 30 aired I think that's impressive.
6. High Maintenance
The new HBO series was so amazing I went back and watched all the previous stuff from their Vimeo days which was also great! Shows that really do it for me are usually doing something different than the rest of what's out there. The way this show blends it's story and is able to interweave vignettes throughout the life of The Guy is just brilliant.
5. Animals
There's something about lovely animation with incredible talent that just does it for me. This is another in that longstanding tradition that gave me the likes of Home Movies, Space Ghost, Dr. Katz, etc... All of the stories were hilarious and they were even able to choke me up a couple times. Their ability to pull in such a dearth of talent to voice the various characters is incredible.
4. Mr. Robot
Thankfully I was not the super sleuth some were so I didn't discover the big twist too early on. While I would agree with those that felt the season was uneven it still was able to intrigue and excite me in ways that most other shows just can't. The big reveal in the FBI satellite office was probably my favourite scene of the season and I listened to The Moth and The Flame obsessively for days after.
3. Stranger Things
When thinking about how to rank my top 10 I tried to recall just how strong the desire was to complete the season once I started. Once I started Stranger Things it pretty much took up any free moment I had until I had finished it a few days later. I had my doubts that they could pull off the campy nostalgia and keep my interest but they blew my expectations out of the water. Millie Bobby Brown knocks it out of the park as Eleven but I feel all the kids did a great job.
2. Gravity Falls
I wanted this to be number one. It was for the majority of the year even with such a short run time compared to other contenders. This show was amazing from start to finish and I want to say flawless. There isn't a single episode I dislike and I have re-watched every episode multiple times. Part of me wishes there could have been more but I'm also happy that it ended so strong. I will sign up for whatever Mr. Hirsch decides to tackle next in a heartbeat.
1. Westworld
Westworld is a work of art. It is deliberately crafted and thought provoking. The entire cast is exemplary and this Anthony Hopkins is a rising star to watch out for! There are so many great moments throughout the season but the finale has to be at the top because of the amazing story building done throughout and resulting payoff. I'm only worried that there's no way a second season could possibly live up to first but that's one of those good problems to have.

Levin fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Oh good! A last minute entry! Everyone loves that poo poo.

10. Better Call Saul
gently caress you, Chuck. gently caress you.

9. Veep
Oof. That final scene was a little to prescient.

8. Supergirl
Benoist has always carried this show, but this season's arc with Alex was amazing. And adding former Teen Wolf star as Superman was pretty great.

7. People of Earth
A support group for people who have been abducted by aliens who need a support group of their own.

6. Colony
Like Casablanca or The Battle of Algiers, the Big Story (in this case an alien invasion) is the backdrop and the focus is on the little plots and people.

5. The Good Place
A feel good comedy about heaven where one of the funniest sequences is Janet begging for her life and then getting murdered on the beach.

4. Limitless
gently caress Whoever Cancelled This Part 1. Can't we just have a show about a pill popping slacker who solves crimes with grade-school-like art projects?

3. The Grinder
gently caress Whoever Cancelled This Part 2. Or a show about a narcissitic Hollywood actor who upstages his brother and is inexplicably charming to nearly everyone else but is jealous of Timothy Oliphant? No? No? Fine.

2. Person of Interest
Most people preferred the arc shows to the procedural, but I always thought it relied on the balance between the two. A good ending despite the truncated final season.

1. Z Nation
This remains the most consitently entertaining show on TV. Solid B-Movie fare with flashes of brilliance that really elevate it beyond its roots. It whiplashes between absurd Back to the Future hallucinations and grim murdering-your-friends realities. If you're gonna watch a zombie show, this is the one. And then you shoul watch iZombie because that's good too.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not doing one, too many shows, too much weed.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I'm gonna be a little disappointed if I'm not the biggest procrastinator in TV/IV. :colbert:

10. Galavant - A show that was always on-the-brink ratings wise, but managed to bring it all in for an excellent final season. The songs were almost as hilarious as the actors who portrayed them perfectly, above all else I'm just struck by how unique this show was.

9. Bob's Burgers - As I tuned in for the seventh season of Bob's Burgers, I realize in the back of my mind that the show is getting a little familiar, but when the show is firing on all cylinders it still managed to make me laugh regardless. Strong characters mixed with snappy jokes makes for an entertaining show that's still easy to recommend to my friends.

8. Brooklyn 99 - It was a little tough deciding between this one and the previous show, since their strengths and their flaws are pretty similar, but I appreciate that B99 tried new things this season with its setting and guest characters. Also as a big fan of both Ken Marino and Jason Mantzoukas, how could I not love this season?

7. American Dad - I, like most of this show's regular waters, were all a little uncertain with the move to TBS, but after seeing all the episodes that have come out in the meantime, I can confidently say that the show has not lost any of its luster. If anything, the episodes are as solid as ever, with some of my new favorite moments coming directly from this season.

6. The Good Place - As I look back on this list, I realize this is the only new show on my top ten. Perhaps this says something about my tastes and preferences for established material, but I think it also speaks for this shows' remarkable charm and quality for a freshman show that landed it a spot here. The leads are wonderful, the show is bright without being saccharine, and the episodes always left me wanting to immediately queue up the next one.

5. Steven Universe - A show with a ton of heart and one that seemingly caught fire among my social circle in the last year or so; this show deserves almost all the hype and praise it gets. Out of all my shows here, this one stands out for the sheer positivity of its messages without being "preachy", with a musical score that beats out most of the other shows I've watched to boot.

4. iZombie - A slight caveat, I was introduced quite late to this show, and as a result I was able to binge the entirety of the two seasons back-to-back, which in retrospect probably helps its pacing, but even so it boasts extremely strong writing, likeable characters, and demonstrates the versatility of its main actress; particularly in the second season.

3. Venture Bros - Although the wait may be agonizing, its always worth it when it comes to this show. The character work and humor work on levels that still result in me discovering new things with every rewatch, and the latest season was no exception. The fact that I'm still able to look forward to a show that I literally grew up with speaks volumes about how special this show is.

2. Bojack Horseman - Its cartoony appearance belies the remarkable depth and the emotional weight behind this Netflix program. Bojack returns for another strong season of drunkenness, debauchery, and self-loathing with an assortment of episodes that left me alternating between crying with laughter and holding my head between my hands.

1. Person of Interest - A fine farewell to one of the most compelling, intense, and provocative shows of our time. The show brings the most out of its cast of memorable and remarkable cast as we finish a story five seasons in the making. The ethical questions this show raises and strives to answer stand it apart from most shows of its fare, and the journey to the end of its story years in the making left a lasting impact on the way I watch television.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Thanks everyone for your thoughtful entries! Voting is now closed, I'm hoping to do the rundown of the results tomorrow evening :)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
oh gently caress I forgot Westworld. Oh well. I'm still pretty happy with my list.

Now that submissions are closed, is it cool to chat here about list-related stuff? or should we keep it all in the general chat thread?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Rarity posted:

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful entries! Voting is now closed, I'm hoping to do the rundown of the results tomorrow evening :)

Thanks for doing this, it is a lot of fun!

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I started to do a top ten list, but realized after a few words that A: I barely watched enough TV this year to even list ten shows, and B: most of the shows I do watch wound up having disappointing showings, so really it would've just been a list about how my chosen few TV shows, like every other part of 2016, let me down. :eng99:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've just calculated the final rankings. TV IV's top 10 includes a three way tie :derp:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rarity posted:

I've just calculated the final rankings. TV IV's top 10 includes a three way tie :derp:

Good stuff

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

:getin:

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

When will the results be posted?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Rarity posted:

So we can blame this on Spergatory, for not posting a list?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I didn't manage to write poo poo up on time but that's ok because now I don't need to keep it to 10 or arrange them really.

Z Nation - Continues to be fun but also manages to have a good story and characters.

Full Frontal - Sam Bee's got the righteous anger that the world is missing after Jon Stewart left the daily show.

Bojack Horseman - :rip: Sarah Lynn, she's telling the angels to suck a dick now.

Colony - Surprise of the year, I can't wait for it to come back.

The Expanse - Been awhile since we had some good space ship sci fi.

The Americans - It's still great,

Star Wars Rebels - It's actually real good, it's good Star Wars in both setting and story, unlike Rogue One which was all "hey remember xwings!?"

Atlanta - Dong Lover is a genius.

American Crime Story - Great performances even if Cuba Gooding wasn't very good casting.

Vice Principals - Walton Goggins.

Survivor - show's gotten kind of good again, the last one was absolute madness. Nobody knew how to play the game so things just got crazy.

Better Call Saul - I don't feel I need to say anything here.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pan Dulce posted:

When will the results be posted?

The results will begin to be announced at this evening at 6pm GMT! Prepare yourselves friends, it's time to start this wild ride once more!

IRQ posted:

I didn't manage to write poo poo up on time

You're such a Britta

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
:f5:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok ladies and gents, settle yourselves down, quiet at the back please, IRQ spit out that gum, I saw that! Class is now in session, today's subject is the results of TV IV's Official Goon Poll of 2016! For the last months you've been pouring your hearts and souls into endlessly deliberating over your choices, writing detailed and considered arguments for each show in an attempt to distil the year's television into the highest level of quality before starting all over again and voting for professional wrestling. (I swear, every drat year...) But enough of that, it's time to start with a rundown of some numbers.

We closed out the event with 55 smart and sophisticated goons taking part (and also Zaggitz), naming a massive 143 shows between you. That's the highest shows per participant ratio this contest has seen yet! Those shows spanned 54 different networks, another record for our poll! And in yet more new records for our forum, we named 27 different shows as #1 across our lists! The television landscape just keeps on exploding!

Before we go on I'd like to remind you all how things work. Once we hit the top 50 all ties will be settled with the countback rule, i.e. whichever shows received the most top spot places will come out on top followed by most second places and etc. Now it's almost time to start seeing the results but first there are a few questions we need to reflect upon:

• With Fargo and Jessica Jones both on hiatus in 2016 that puts last year's two heaviest hitters out of the equation. This leaves Better Call Saul as the clear pedigree favourite for this year's poll. Now that it's competition is out of the way can it make that push for the top spot?
  • Or what about the other big name from last year that's still in the running? Mr. Robot stepped away from its highly disputed twist to deliver a divisive season that was hated by as many as it was loved. Will its loyal fanbase be able to take it all the way to the top?
  • Many critics hailed Game of Thrones for making a strong return to form this season. Breaking away from the books resulted in a series of shocking reveals and emotional moments. But has it done enough to win the one award still missing from its trophy case, a #1 placing in our poll?
  • And of course there's one of our perennial favourites, Person of Interest. With 2016 being the year of its final season, this is its last chance to claim that top position. Can it go out in style with a big, big win?
  • Another show missing from this year was Rick and Morty, giving Broad City the weight of being the best comedy from 2015 to air this year. Will it be able to make such a strong showing this time around?
  • Marvel's offerings on Netflix had a huge impact on last year's poll with both shows placing inside the top 5. Can Daredevil match its success in its second year and will Luke Cage prove to be as popular as its stablemates?
  • And then there's Agents of SHIELD, a show that shocked many by making it into the top 10 in 2015. With the show beginning to show its age can it rank so high for the third time?
  • One of the biggest cult hits of 2015 was Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, which received a lot of love despite a very small fanbase. Another year under its belt has given it the chance to grow its audience, will this be reflected in this year's poll?
  • It's been a long time since we were able to enjoy a full season of Black Mirror. Charlie Brooker's satire returned this year with an expanded season on Netflix and was gruesome and moving in equal measure. How will it fare in the TV landscape of 2016?
  • But not all shows that impressed this year were expected. Some of 2016's freshmen shows came out of nowhere to surprise us, perhaps none more than Stranger Things. Despite low buzz this show grew into a cult hit, how high can it chart on its first appearance?
  • Another big surprise this year was American Crime Story. Despite the involvement of Ryan Murphy the show proved to be a successful and powerful look at a tumultuous series of events in recent history. Does it have what it takes to make an impact in our list?
  • And finally, there's the show we all knew we'd be talking about. With high production values, a star-studded cast and a strong marketing push from HBO, Westworld was always set to be event television. But its ecstatic highs were only reached after a long, reflective journey. A place in our top 10 is likely but just where will it finish?

All these questions and more will be answered but patience first, friends! Because first we must see how things shape up below the top 50:

128=. (1 point)

3% (Netflix)
Angie Tribeca (TBS)
Catastrophe (Channel 4)
Peaky Blinders (BBC2)
Soundbreaking (PBS)
South Park (Comedy Central)
Superstore (NBC)
Take My Wife (Seeso)
The 100 (The CW)
The Block (Nine)
The Detour (TBS)
The Great British Bake Off (BBC1)
The Last Ship (TNT)
The Meltdown (Comedy Central)
The Walking Dead (AMC)
Vixen (CW Seed)

118=. (2 points)

Aftermath (Space)
Animal Kingdom (TNT)
Archer (FX)
Fear the Walking Dead (AMC)
Hawaii Five O (CBS)
Penny Dreadful (Showtime)
Space Patrol Luloco (AT-X)
The Grand Tour (Amazon)
The Man in the High Castle (Amazon)
This is Us (NBC)

110=. (3 points)

Ballers (HBO)
Dragonball Super (Fuji)
Girls (HBO)
Love (Netflix)
Sweet/Vicious (MTV)
Teen Titans Go! (Cartoon Network)
The Flash (The CW)
Wynonna Earp (Syfy)

100=. (4 points)

19-2 (Bravo Canada)
Arrow (The CW)
Hoarders (A&E)
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FX)
Longmire (A&E)
Outlander (Starz)
The Amazing Race Canada (CTV)
The Fall (BBC2)
The Last Man on Earth (Fox)
WWE Smackdown Live (USA)

92=. (5 points)

Better Things (FX)
Chance (Hulu)
Easy (Netflix)
Fleabag (BBC3)
Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS)
Lethal Weapon (Fox)
Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir (TF1)
Orphan Black (BBC America)

87=. (6 points)

American Horror Story (FX)
Animals (HBO)
Critical Role (Youtube)
People of Earth (TBS)
The Crown (Netflix)

79=. (7 points)

Black Sails (Starz)
Cleverman (Sundance)
Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life (Netflix)
House of Cards (Netflix)
Lucha Underground (El Rey)
The X Files (Fox)
Vikings (History)
WWE Presents the Cruiserweight Classic (WWE Network)

75=. (8 points)

Inhuman Condition (Youtube)
The Grinder (Fox)
Transparent (Amazon)
Yuri!!! on Ice (TV Asahi)

71=. (9 points)

Legends of Tomorrow (The CW)
Mozart in the Jungle (Amazon)
Quarry (Cinemax)
Skam (NRK)

62=. (10 points)

Gravity Falls (Disney XD)
Killjoys (Space)
Kingdom (Audience)
Lucifer (Fox)
Powers (Sony)
RuPaul's Drag Race (Logo)
The Chris Gethard Show (Fusion)
The Muppets (ABC)
Travelers (Netflix)

61. (11 points)

Talking Smack (WWE Network)

56=. (12 points)

Humans (Channel 4)
Limitless (CBS)
Mob Psycho 100 (Tokyo MX)
Orange is the New Black (Netflix)
Search Party (TBS)

53=. (13 points)

American Crime (ABC)
American Dad (Fox)
Horace and Pete (LouisCK.net)

51=. (14 points)

Falling Water (USA)
The Young Pope (Sky Atlantic)

Let's all spare a moment of silence for The 100, the biggest faller in this year's poll by tumbling a massive 117 places from last year. It almost didn't get listed by anyone! As for the highest climber... well, we'll get to that in time.

Time to take a little breather and I'll be back with #s 50-41! Get the popcorn ready, shocks and excitement guaranteed!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
#50-41

Oh boy friends, it's time to ride the hype train, let's get things started!

===

EccoRaven posted:

An eternal treasure of joy

Shneak posted:

Easily the best animated show on broadcast because it’s constantly funny and heartfelt

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Strong characters mixed with snappy jokes makes for an entertaining show that's still easy to recommend to my friends.

pixaal posted:

John H Benjamin in a show with a better supporting cast. 

:siren: Click the images for a surprise! :siren:

50.BOB'S BURGERS (FOX)
RE-ENTRY
15 points, listed 4 times

===

Not A Twat posted:

It's just so pleasant to watch

EccoRaven posted:

The wedding made me cry.

49. JANE THE VIRGIN (THE CW)
UP 9
15 points, listed 2 times

===

Luvcow posted:

Artistic and evocative, each episode has it's own unique way of telling a story.

Corte posted:

Doing something different than the rest of what's out there

Escobarbarian posted:

This show is pretty much the definition of “my poo poo”.

48. HIGH MAINTENANCE (HBO)
NEW ENTRY
15 points, listed 3 times

===

Shneak posted:

Another year, another list of awards this show was snubbed from

MrBuddyLee posted:

Violence at the Soulstice Games. Cheating at the Co-op.

Kynazeras posted:

Does this show know how to stop?

47. BROAD CITY (COMEDY CENTRAL)
DOWN 34
17 points, listed 3 times

===

Looten Plunder posted:

A great balance of humour, drama, character moments and awesome montages.

X-O posted:

I feel like finally every character got equal service

46. SHAMELESS (SHOWTIME)
UP 1
17 points, listed 2 times

===

xeria posted:

I still watched it regularly.

pixaal posted:

Hilarious and informative.

Superrodan posted:

A consistent look at the world that manages to make me laugh

Humbug Schoolbus posted:

Voices my pent up rage in such a satisfying manner.

45. LAST WEEK TONIGHT (HBO)
DOWN 19
18 points, listed 5 times

:toot: BEST LATE NIGHT SHOW :toot:

===

HorseRenoir posted:

Had zero expectations for this but I ended up loving it.

Sober posted:

Takes all the best parts of a family drama and a sci-fi show

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I found the parallels to our own recent history to be smarter and better executed than I would have ever expected.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I honestly looked forward to this more than pretty much any other drama this year. 

44. COLONY (USA)
NEW ENTRY
18 points, listed 5 times

===

Tuxedo Jack posted:

The acting is top notch - and the story seems to be going somewhere.

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's got this great, gooey, dark sense of humour that really resonates with me

karrethuun posted:

I find the TV show much better especially for not adhering strictly to the books at times.

43. THE MAGICIANS (SYFY)
NEW ENTRY
18 points, listed 3 times

===

Not A Twat posted:

One of my favourite shows of 2016.

bou posted:

This whole show is so wrong in so many ways

Jerusalem posted:

It is impossible for this show to exist. It is impossible for this show to be good. Somehow it manages both.

42. ASH VS EVIL DEAD (STARZ)
UP 12
18 points, listed 3 times, #1 spot 1 time

===

Arist posted:

Best part of the ongoing saga

Zaggitz posted:

One of the best villains out there.

HorseRenoir posted:

A really eccentric, very well directed action-comedy with a distinct style.

41. JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE 4: DIAMOND IS UNBREAKABLE (TOKYO MX)
NEW ENTRY
19 points, listed 3 times

...Godammit Zaggitz.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeah

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

My work here is almost done.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Haha, I was the only person who listed The 100.

And only because I forgot about Westworld and somehow didn't understand that Limitless was this year, even though it says so right in the op.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Glad The Detour made the list if barely, I only watched the first two episodes but they were hilarious. I got distracted and never got around to the rest, hopefully it will pop up on streaming some day.

And too late now but Limitless should replace Agents of Shield in my list, I forgot about it too and assumed it aired last year since I watched it on Netflix months ago and thought it was old then.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm glad both Galavant and Steven Universe made the top 40

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Congrats to DIU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
#40-31

Well that's quite enough of that. Let's more on to more respectable things. Serious things. Serious things like your #40...

Shneak posted:

The jokes are rapid fire

adhuin posted:

Cute and at the same time disturbing show

DivisionPost posted:

It constantly weaves its dark pathos through its hysterical story.

ShakeZula posted:

I liked that it kept up its bizarre sense of whimsy even as it explored some of the darker elements of the premise.

40. UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT (NETFLIX)
DOWN 21
19 points, listed 5 times

===

mancalamania posted:

The biggest surprise of the year

Escobarbarian posted:

Arrested Development having a manic episode

Grassy Knowles posted:

You are limiting the amount of potential joy in your life by not watching this.

39. LADY DYNAMITE (NETFLIX)
NEW ENTRY
19 points, listed 3 times, #1 spot 1 time

===

Mukaikubo posted:

It's good! It's still good.

Little Mac posted:

Still chock full of genius

achillesforever6 posted:

Even 13 years ongoing this show still makes some of the best characters.

pixaal posted:

Three years since the last season. It was worth the wait.

38. THE VENTURE BROS (ADULT SWIM)
RE-ENTRY
21 points, listed 6 times

===

Snak posted:

A well-written drama

Senerio posted:

A solid choice on this list

Sober posted:

The show takes big chances likewise with their mythology and eventually they pay off

DarklyDreaming posted:

People use the word "Mindfuck" for a show like this

37. 12 MONKEYS (SYFY)
UP 19
21 points, listed 4 times

===

Little Mac posted:

A cool pulp detective story

Andrew_1985 posted:

A fantastic cast which was a pleasure to watch.

Humbug Schoolbus posted:

Proves we don't get to keep nice things.

BSam posted:

Jarvelous!

36. AGENT CARTER (ABC)
UP 18
22 points, listed 6 times

===

EccoRaven posted:

Hilarious

xeria posted:

Still a stupidly charming show.

fancy stats posted:

The best workplace comedy I have left

mancalamania posted:

The show has gotten more slapstick this past year, but there's nothing inherently wrong with that

35. BROOKLYN NINE-NINE (FOX)
DOWN 11
23 points, listed 6 times

===

Above all else I'm just struck by how unique this show was.

Rarity posted:

It's just as well that the creators went all out when they did.

Pan Dulce posted:

Monty Python for the modern age

Commercial Suicide: The Show

34. GALAVANT (ABC)
UP 87
23 points, listed 7 times

===

Slamhound posted:

Solid B-Movie fare with flashes of brilliance that really elevate it beyond its roots

bou posted:

A furious finale with a lot of cliff-hanging, or better, -jumping

DarklyDreaming posted:

When poo poo gets real it gets REAL

33. Z NATION (SYFY)
DOWN 1
23 points, listed 3 times, #1 spot 1 time

===

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Genuinely moving

CeeJee posted:

It's preachy, ridiculous and does not use its premise nearly as well as it should. But all the sweet character moments make that completely irrelevant.

Rarity posted:

This is a show that takes wonder in the small things, that gives these moments of joy space to breathe like no other show would dare.

adhuin posted:

I honestly didn't realize it was double-length episode, until I searched youtube for that video and description said 2-hour special. It was that good.

32. SENSE8 (NETFLIX)
DOWN 23
25 points, listed 4 times

===

Senerio posted:

It's a good time for all!

DarklyDreaming posted:

Infectiously positive and saccharine and earns every second of it.

Pan Dulce posted:

She's a ball of sunshine with a heart of gold.

bou posted:

Weapons-grade adorable.

31. SUPERGIRL (THE CW)
UP 90
26 points, listed 8 times

:toot: HIGHEST CLIMBER :toot:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
12 "A well-written drama" Monkeys

Fuckin lol.

Thanks for doing this again, Rarity. It's always fun, and I love how much effort you put into presenting the results.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
#30-21

Hakkesshu posted:

A different kind of superhero story

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The soundtrack was my favorite of the year

achillesforever6 posted:

The score alone for this show puts it in my top 5.

Little Mac posted:

This show rides on the (broad) shoulders of its protagonist and that's what makes it work so well.

BSam posted:

Bulletproof black man show was brilliant

30. LUKE CAGE (NETFLIX)
NEW ENTRY
26 points, listed 6 times

===

Goofballs posted:

The whole thing just felt so vibrant.

Luvcow posted:

The closest to a musical that I'll ever really enjoy.

I loved the interpolation of historical videotaped footage into the mix

Arist posted:

I can't think of a show nearly as passionate as this one

29. THE GET DOWN (NETFLIX)
NEW ENTRY
26 points, listed 4 times

===

ShakeZula posted:

This show continued to be a masterclass in emotional performance.

MrBuddyLee posted:

This show can take scenes about meaningless poo poo and infuse them with heart so you care more about the characters

Grassy Knowles posted:

If they could've done better, they would've.

28. RECTIFY (SUNDANCE)
UP 20
27 points, listed 3 times, #1 spot 1 time

===

Goofballs posted:

totally savage

The craziest cliffhanger in recent memory.

Zaggitz posted:

Hilarious takedown of toxic masculinity

Looten Plunder posted:

This show manages to find the balance a lot better between awful people doing awful things and rooting for them.

Luvcow posted:

The end of the last few episodes almost brought me to tears.

27. VICE PRINCIPALS (HBO)
NEW ENTRY
31 points, listed 6 times

===

Yer Burnt posted:

This is a really well-made documentary

HorseRenoir posted:

A really great, informative documentary

Arist posted:

It’s also just a captivating documentary overall.

try the new taco place posted:

Extremely brutal and hard-hitting, but never feeling manipulative or cheap.

26. OJ: MADE IN AMERICA (USA)
NEW ENTRY
31 points, listed 5 times, #1 spot 1 time

===

Little Mac posted:

The stars here were really the supporting cast

Hakkesshu posted:

Some of the finest superhero fiction to ever be filmed

ShakeZula posted:

Quite simply one of my favorite live action superhero stories ever

Humbug Schoolbus posted:

I am an anomaly

karrethuun posted:

I also do not dislike ninjas as much as some.

25. DAREDEVIL (NETFLIX)
DOWN 20
33 points, listed 8 times

===

nate fisher posted:

Criminally under-watched.

Luvcow posted:

Great story, great characters and plenty of 80s nostalgia.

fancy stats posted:

It's amazing to me how this show can keep rejiggering itself every season and getting better while doing so.

joepinetree posted:

I am sure this one will rank behind some third rate derivative marvel spin off too.

24. HALT AND CATCH FIRE (AMC)
UP 88
33 points, listed 4 times, #1 spot 2 times

===

nate fisher posted:

Still amazing

It's all a hilarious blur.

Looten Plunder posted:

I could watch these idiots sit around and banter for hours on end.

pixaal posted:

This show just keeps getting better.

Superrodan posted:

The show's attitude with regards to startups is so real that it hurts.

23. SILICON VALLEY (HBO)
UP 8
38 points, listed 8 times

===

Little Mac posted:

Every character got time to shine

achillesforever6 posted:

It is the show I'll always go out of my way to watch live

Humbug Schoolbus posted:

Now with a killer leadoff with the new season.

Regy Rusty posted:

This remains my favorite superhero show.

BSam posted:

This show will crossover with the films at some point I just know it, don't tell me it won't or I will kick you in the loving face.

22. AGENTS OF SHIELD (ABC)
DOWN 12
38 points, listed 7 times, #1 spot 1 time

===

Rarity posted:

The most criminally ignored show of the year.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Every character is the best character

It boasts extremely strong writing, likeable characters, and demonstrates the versatility of its main actress

Pan Dulce posted:

They make brains look so good

Arist posted:

Occ is wrong

21. IZOMBIE (THE CW)
DOWN 7
39 points, listed 9 times

Welp, there go all the Marvel shows in one fell swoop. That leaves a giant gap in the top 10 just ready to be filled! But who will take it? Will it be American Crime Story? Or how about Stranger Things? Or maybe Black Mirror? There's only one way to find out and that's to stick around for more!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I would like to frame that "Occ is wrong" quote and mount it above my fireplace.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So many shows I love in the last two lists that I couldn't quite make my top 10. Still I'm glad VP and iZombie did as well as they did.

Too bad about Agents but it's true that nothing in the last year could match up to the season 2 finale that catapulted it so high the year before.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
#20-16

fancy stats posted:

Both really funny and really insightful.

DivisionPost posted:

A show that's devastating on several fronts

Kynazeras posted:

Vast insight into a cast of seemingly unlikable people.

Escobarbarian posted:

This season remembered how lovely everyone is meant to be and added the venom back

Rarity posted:

No other show in the TV landscape mixes comedy with drama so well while providing such an accurate picture of modern dating.

Zaggitz posted:

One of the most gut wrenching portrayals of ptsd on tv.

20. YOU'RE THE WORST (FXX)
DOWN 3
39 points, listed 6 times

===

Fast Luck posted:

This show always keeps it fresh

Yer Burnt posted:

Really freshened the franchise.

Rarity posted:

It was the personalities that really shined.

Shneak posted:

It was so under-hyped and delivered with a character-driven plot

bagrada posted:

Its impressive the show is still solid and surprising after all these years

mancalamania posted:

Two back-to-back great seasons of the show that were so good I was able to get 3 different friends into the show this year for the first time.

19. SURVIVOR (CBS)
UP 11
39 points, listed 7 times, #1 spot 2 times

:toot: BEST REALITY SHOW :toot:

===

adhuin posted:

Simply beautiful.

Not A Twat posted:

Every episode has at least one unforgettable, breathtaking sequence.

MrBuddyLee posted:

Your jaw will be on the floor half the time, and you'll probably cry a few times.

Looten Plunder posted:

I cry at least once an episode watching these things and I love them for it.

X-O posted:

Quite possibly the greatest use of a video camera that mankind has found yet.

CeeJee posted:

Newly-Born Iguana: Action Star Of The Year.

18. PLANET EARTH (BBC1)
NEW ENTRY
40 points, listed 6 times, #1 spot 1 time

:toot: BEST DOCUMENTARY :toot:
:toot: BEST INTERNATIONAL SHOW :toot:

===

bagrada posted:

This show was a lot of fun and usually surprising.

fancy stats posted:

Featured some amazing cinematography

Hakkeshu posted:

It was not afraid to get really absurd and out there

Jerusalem posted:

A wonderfully surreal adaptation

achillesforever6 posted:

Some of the blackest comedy in mainstream TV today

The only show about angels and demons that does anything novel with the concept

17. PREACHER (AMC)
NEW ENTRY
42 points, listed 8 times

===

karrethuun posted:

All around fantastic.

Mukaikubo posted:

It does its homework to get the details right

HorseRenoir posted:

Very compelling hard sci-fi

adhuin posted:

It is a captivating vision about a lovely future

Tuxedo Jack posted:

They built a brand new world in that show, with its own style and palpable worldbuilding efforts that paid off.

bou posted:

It builds and explains its universe, introduces characters to love and hate and relate to, has a foreground-conflict to care about and delivers the sense of a greater threat from beyond

16. THE EXPANSE (SYFY)
NEW ENTRY
47 points, listed 10 times

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Thank you for doing this Rarity

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
#15-11

drainpipe posted:

Most of the actors are acting their asses off

Cemented its place as one of the best shows of the year with a handful of perfect moments

Regy Rusty posted:

It did a fantastic job of capturing the atmosphere of the time

Mr BuddyLee posted:

Made me feel more emotion, and in different directions, than I was expecting

Spun a tale that would beggar disbelief and laughter if it weren't so very, very true.

Sober posted:

Sometimes life did imitate art

15. AMERICAN CRIME STORY (FX)
NEW ENTRY
55 points, listed 10 times, #1 spot 1 time

===

Luvcow posted:

Scary as poo poo

Superrodan posted:

A ton of interesting premises

Yer Burnt posted:

This season's batch of episodes stretched the limits of what this show can be

Not A Twat posted:

A loving hit.

DivisionPost posted:

It's elegantly constructed, thoroughly considered, unexpected, romantic, and absolutely beautiful.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Fucks with me in a way I cannot begin to describe

14. BLACK MIRROR (NETFLIX)
RE-ENTRY
58 points, listed 10 times, #1 spot 1 time

===

Fast Luck posted:

Oh gosh this season was really funny.

Yer Burnt posted:

WOW did it become one of its best seasons.

X-O posted:

Non stop funny with easily the highest joke per minute ratio on TV.

Slamhound posted:

That final scene was a little too prescient.

Mukaikubo posted:

It simply doesn't have any weak points save arguably torturing the constitution for dramatic effect and that's a venal sin at best.

Grassy Knowles posted:

This would be number one if it were slightly less accurate to real life, and that's more a criticism of real life than the show.

13. VEEP (HBO)
UP 20
59 points, listed 11 times

===

EccoRaven posted:

Still cute still fun

Corte posted:

This show just gives me the warm fuzzies

Stands out for the sheer positivity of its messages without being "preachy"

Hakkesshu posted:

One of the most genuine and heartfelt shows

Regy Rusty posted:

The way the story has balanced moving the plot forward with silly character focused episodes has been really well done.

Pan Dulce posted:

I know, I know, "A cartoon on a top list, are you twelve?" No.

12. STEVEN UNIVERSE (CARTOON NETWORK)
UP 29
62 points, listed 9 times, #1 spot 1 time

===

Another strong season of drunkenness, debauchery, and self-loathing

Fast Luck posted:

They executed this season well though because the hosed up stuff "works"

DivisionPost posted:

Every last man and woman working on this show had their eye, their mind, their whole loving being on the ball.

Goofballs posted:

I can't believe I like a cartoon this much

Kynazeras posted:

Never did I think a talking horse would bring me to tears.

THAT'S TOO MUCH, MAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!!!

11. BOJACK HORSEMAN (NETFLIX)
UP 4
74 points, listed 11 times, #1 spot 2 times

:toot: BEST ANIMATION
:toot:

Rarity fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 4, 2017

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

On the edge of my seat.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
It's too perfect that Bojack just misses out on the top 10.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm loving angry Stranger Things got into the top 10 and American Crime Story didn't.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Arist posted:

I'm loving angry Stranger Things got into the top 10 and American Crime Story didn't.

I'm genuinely surprised OJ didn't

That said Stranger Things deserves it ;)

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 4, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm really surprised that Mr. Robot made it into the top 10, apparently. I mean, I loved S2, but a lot of people didn't.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Arist posted:

This is our punishment for Jessica Jones :negative:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hell, this year I hated Game of Thrones so much that I finally quit watching it, but from what I've heard about it I totally understand why others thought this was the year it deserved to return to the top 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Crown and House of Cards both deserve to be so much higher :smith:

Thanks for working through all this data, Rarity!

• Locked thread