Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

Half way through season 3 of Person of Interest, and it's gotten very good indeed. I'd definitely recommend slogging through the 1st series and waiting for everyone to lighten the gently caress up in season 2.

I'd love to have been at the script conference where "Let's introduce a dog sidekick, and get everyone to lighten the gently caress up" was pitched. 'Cos it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Also, whoever said Fusco was awesome was right.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

TheHoodedClaw posted:

I'd love to have been at the script conference where "Let's introduce a dog sidekick, and get everyone to lighten the gently caress up" was pitched. 'Cos it worked.

They talk about how this came about in a Nerdist Writer's Room podcast and it literally went how I hoped it did.

Jonah Nolan just walked into the office one day during the s1 summer break and went, as if he had a huge epiphany "I'VE GOT IT, NEXT SEASON THEY GET A DOG!"

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Been working through Travelers on Netflix. It's pretty good, but like others have said the first few episodes are pretty slow for actual plot progression. But in episode 6 they presumably complete their mission and in episode 7 they deal with having to live out the rest of their lives and it's kind of new territory for this type of sci-fi, at least as far as the shows I've watched. I have to expect that poo poo's gonna hit the fan before the end of the season in some way or another, but it'd be kind of refreshing to have a show where people kind of know what's going to go down in the near future, but still try to maintain some semblance of normalcy. I mean, according to their original mission, they couldn't really have too much knowledge of the future after a certain point.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I'm watching The Magicians and it really should be terrible. It probably is. I like it though.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Go watch Fleabag before someone spoils it for you, one if the best shows of the year.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 1, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Brown Moses posted:

Go watch [b]Fleabag[/] before someone spoils it for you, one if the best shows of the year.

I was just going to post this. It might be the best show I've seen this year. Goes from silly to gutting and heartbreaking so quickly.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The fourth wall break in episode 6 is probably one of the best ever.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

SLOSifl posted:

I'm watching The Magicians and it really should be terrible. It probably is. I like it though.

Yeah, it's terrible. I like it too. (And it's less terrible by the end, but it spends a lot of time being terrible first.)

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

coyo7e posted:

Goliath is pretty great imho. Billy Bob Thornton as a drunken Erin Brockovich, in Florida - which is the only place a pondscum of a character like him could live (he's pretty much Bad Santa, except if Bad Santa had once been a major star who fell off the tracks). Things get weird quickly, and I can't wait for season 2.

Uh Goliath takes place in Southern California :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been watching Penny Dreadful. I've enjoyed it a lot. I'm about a third of the way into season three at the moment.

It's not bad, but my impression of it is that it's a lot like (and this may be an odd comparison) the third season of Millennium, in the sense that the plot feels like it could have ended at the end of season two, but they kept it going another year anyway. (I'm aware that it was probably meant to continue with a fourth season but was cancelled because it wasn't getting the numbers its channel wanted.)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Space Pussy posted:

Uh Goliath takes place in Southern California :v:
Eh, I've spent a lot of time in both and the only major difference is the number of reptiles in the pools/toilets/rivers.

And if you believe So Cal is somehow inherently superior to Most of Florida - travel more.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Going through Luke Cage the past through days. It's been interesting but it didn't catch my interest the way the first season of Daredevil did.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Travelers is almost painfully slow at the start but REALLY picks up after ep. 5/6. I've never seen a show where the future is as vaguely creepy as this one. They reveal very, very little but it pays off.

Hint of the premise for those like me who had a hard time sitting through the first ?!?!? Episode (spoils nothing but the 1st): Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Except the Body Snatchers are trying to save the world.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 4, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Vancouver acting scene really needs to expand because I'm sick of seeing the same dozen people in every loving Canadian show.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mu Zeta posted:

The Vancouver acting scene really needs to expand because I'm sick of seeing the same dozen people in every loving Canadian show.

I don't know, I really like those actors and I'm glad they're getting a lot of work! Though s so much sci-fi Canadian or are a lot of things just filmed in Vancouver for some reason? Not that I can tell the difference between Canadian or American actors :shrug:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I binged most of Travelers last weekend (got to episode 8,) and while I do like it, it does leave me with some questions/thoughts.

It's made clear that they only take over someone who would have otherwise died. Except the FBI agent wouldn't have ever died in the original timeline...he was only going to fall down the elevator shaft because he was investigating the warehouse the other Travelers were meeting up at via the dark web posts. So they essentially caused his death, and broke Protocol 3 (I think it's 3?)

It also seems odd to me that they continue the lives of the people they take over. In theory, the person would be dead in the "original" timeline, and if their goal is to interfere as little as possible outside of their missions, then shouldn't they just go underground, or whatever? In some instances, I can sort of see the reason. The FBI guy gets access to FBI resources, and the mother has a baby that she can't just abandon and feels bad about leaving with the abusive father.

But near as I can tell, there is no reason for the teenager or former developmentally-delayed woman to keep up their past lives. You'd think it'd be easier for them to live in the warehouse with the junkie Historian so they don't have to keep making awkward excuses to their parents/social worker.

Onigami Nanashi
Aug 29, 2006
The truth is in here.
I was running a fever the other day and accidentally watched all of the Magicians. Whoever said it sucked at first, and then went balls out (heh) by the end of the season was spot on. I don't know if I would have watched the whole thing if I wasn't feverish though.

I'm also in a Leverage rewatch, and drat I forgot how much I loved it. It's prettttyyyy campy, but I enjoy watching Christian Kane being angry all the time and beating the poo poo out of people.

I'm also down to the last handful of episodes in both Spartacus, Downton Abbey and Person of Interest. I can't pull the trigger and finish them because I don't want to be done.

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

It also seems odd to me that they continue the lives of the people they take over. In theory, the person would be dead in the "original" timeline, and if their goal is to interfere as little as possible outside of their missions, then shouldn't they just go underground, or whatever? In some instances, I can sort of see the reason. The FBI guy gets access to FBI resources, and the mother has a baby that she can't just abandon and feels bad about leaving with the abusive father.

But near as I can tell, there is no reason for the teenager or former developmentally-delayed woman to keep up their past lives. You'd think it'd be easier for them to live in the warehouse with the junkie Historian so they don't have to keep making awkward excuses to their parents/social worker.

I think they have to keep living their past lives so the future doesn't change if they simply disappeared. Faking their deaths would be difficult since there are thousands (I think) of travelers and how can you fake your death and not leave a body behind? And a teenager just vanishing would probably affect the future in ways you can't predict. Maybe his girlfriend or a friend would be so affected by it that they don't do x, which leads to y happening, a police search happening means a cop is busy with x, not y, etc. But then again, him not dying has already affected the future so :shrug:

And that whole development delayed plot is dumb. She's interesting, but that social worker is the dumbest man alive and only thinks with his dick.

Anyway, never think too hard about time travel.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

DarkCrawler posted:

I don't know, I really like those actors and I'm glad they're getting a lot of work! Though s so much sci-fi Canadian or are a lot of things just filmed in Vancouver for some reason? Not that I can tell the difference between Canadian or American actors :shrug:
There's a huge Vancouver film industry, and it's way cheaper to film here: American filmmakers get tax breaks and can benefit from the exchange rate of the US dollar, so if you can move production north of the border, you can stretch your budget a lot more.

As for sci-fi specifically, it's a niche genre so it often benefits a TV show to convince networks that it's cheap to film. A network or cable channel might not think twice about greenlighting sitcoms and and lawyer/medical/cop procedurals filmed in LA/New York/Chicago because it's a proven formula. Sci-fi tries to break the mold so it's 'safer' to film where it's cheaper. Though plenty of sci-fi is also filmed in Toronto.

Personally, I like seeing the same Vancouver actors in a lot of sci-fi shows because I know several of them and it's awesome to see them succeed. :)

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Speaking of Vancouver and Time Travel, I just finished the new Dirk Gently and thought it was fantastic. The first episode left me a bit puzzled, but the season is well paced and answers most questions by the time it ends. I also enjoyed all of the performances.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I think Vancouver is just fine as long as they're not trying to pretend it's someplace else. I haven't finished season 1 of Travelers, but is there a reason why it needed to be set in Seattle? I think in episode 4 or 5 there was a rooftop meeting that showed off some of the city skyline and it kind of took me out of it a little bit because it was very obviously not Seattle. It's not a huge thing though, I was just left wondering if I had missed some scene where they traveled to a different city.

For those of you more familiar with Vancouver, does it ever bother you when you see Vancouver buildings/landmarks knowing the program is set elsewhere?

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Inspector 34 posted:

I think Vancouver is just fine as long as they're not trying to pretend it's someplace else.
This is a good commentary on it. Great Youtube channel in general too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojm74VGsZBU

quote:

For those of you more familiar with Vancouver, does it ever bother you when you see Vancouver buildings/landmarks knowing the program is set elsewhere?
I'm used to it at this point; it looks like Anytown USA because there's a lot of diverse architecture and terrain. It's kind of nice to see things that aren't just LA or NYC where they shoot practically everything else. Sometimes it's fun to spot certain landmarks and intersections I know well. It breaks the 4th wall a bit, but since I work in the industry I've already kind of passed that point where I think in terms of production anyway.

I will say both Fringe and Battlestar Galactica hid this extremely well. Fringe would CG in background landmarks of where the location was supposed to be, like NYC buildings in the skyline when the shoot was in downtown Vancouver. BSG had the SFU campus and parts of downtown as Caprica, but stuff like the algae planet was filmed up in Kamloops where there's actual desert a few hours drive away, and a lot of the rest was shot up in the mountains.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i've been enjoying The Night Of, watching the last two episodes tonight!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I'm halfway through Del Toro's Netflix animated series Trollhunters and it is brilliant. At first I was kind of meh, then it won me over and I thought it was pretty good, but now I'm at the point where it is just rocking my world. Exciting, funny, charming, even a little emotional at times. I went in looking for something short to watch over lunch, but I'm already dreading this series ending. It's real good guys.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I watched Netflix's Versailles over the holiday break and quite liked it. It's got the guy who played Athelstan in Vikings as a young Louis XIV and takes place right as Louis is forcing his entire Court to relocate from luxurious Paris to middle-of-nowhere Versailles in the French countryside. The acting is quite good, especially the Louis and Phillipe (Louis's younger brother) roles. Definitely worth a watch.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DrBouvenstein posted:

I binged most of Travelers last weekend (got to episode 8,) and while I do like it, it does leave me with some questions/thoughts.

It's made clear that they only take over someone who would have otherwise died. Except the FBI agent wouldn't have ever died in the original timeline...he was only going to fall down the elevator shaft because he was investigating the warehouse the other Travelers were meeting up at via the dark web posts. So they essentially caused his death, and broke Protocol 3 (I think it's 3?)

I think you're mistaken about him being dead only because of the Travelers' existence.. There was some kid about to go on a shooting rampage and I simply presumed that was what would've gotten the FBI dude sniffing around without Travelers.

Either way by the end of the season nobody really gives a gently caress :psypop:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've really enjoyed travelers I wonder what direction they'll take it. Halfway through the last ep

Netflix inability to stream the final episode withoit it breaking sucks though

Jose fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 5, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Well that was an ending

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SLOSifl posted:

It was terrible, but a good terrible? I found myself enjoying it by the end. I'm actually kind of excited for season two.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Magicians is really, really bad but there's something about the pretty people and the snark and the end season "gently caress it" that makes it sort of work. I probably wouldn't come back for another season of them being shallow assholes in school but the way they took it at the end gives me enough reason to tune back in and see what hosed up poo poo they do in S2.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've been watching Penny Dreadful. I've enjoyed it a lot. I'm about a third of the way into season three at the moment.

It's not bad, but my impression of it is that it's a lot like (and this may be an odd comparison) the third season of Millennium, in the sense that the plot feels like it could have ended at the end of season two, but they kept it going another year anyway. (I'm aware that it was probably meant to continue with a fourth season but was cancelled because it wasn't getting the numbers its channel wanted.)

There's some truth to that, but S3 tries to tie stuff up and take care of any dangling questions and threads. It doesn't all hit perfectly and its probably polarizing but I think it was a worthwhile try.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I binged Zero Channel yesterday. It's like a better American Horror Story. Only 6 hour investment, too, which I think works for a creepy show - it doesn't overstay it's welcome, it answers some things and leaves some things in the air in a way that was still fulfilling. Pretty good.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
We're binging trough the last man on earth. I'm a bit divided about it, it has genuinely great moments, but at other times it gets really bad and I feel like skipping to the next episode. The biggest problem is that the main character is written to be teeth grinding annoying, and it's a bit of a shame.

dooinit
Jun 1, 2016

Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'

dooinit fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 24, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mrfart posted:

We're binging trough the last man on earth. I'm a bit divided about it, it has genuinely great moments, but at other times it gets really bad and I feel like skipping to the next episode. The biggest problem is that the main character is written to be teeth grinding annoying, and it's a bit of a shame.

yeah, I stopped watching for this reason. forte is talented, but gahhh that character is just the worst

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
Forgot that The Librarians got renewed for a third season. Special effects are still terrible, acting is still terrible, but I'm halfway through an episode where a Sean Astin is in control of a magic carnival full of homicidal nightmare clowns. Now I remember why I liked this show.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

yeah, I stopped watching for this reason. forte is talented, but gahhh that character is just the worst

In the last season they have toned it down a bit. He's still annoying but he's not deliberately an rear end in a top hat anymore. Sort of endearingly annoying vs obnoxiously so.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I couldn't make it through a few episodes because I hated Forte's character so much. I keep meaning to give it a try but I just can't see myself enjoying a sitcom where the central character is so purposely bad. I get the premise of the rear end in a top hat who thinks he's the last man on Earth and then gets more and more unbearable as he finds more people and becomes less and less special. But it doesn't sound fun to watch.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
That can't be why I stopped watching because I like too many shows where the main characters are assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

LMOE has rear end in a top hat protagonist issues, but he's not really that bad most of the time. As long as you remember that he's watched (almost) everyone on Earth die and spent two years in isolation, pretty much all his behavior (and everyone else's) starts to make sense. It's an incredibly bleak show about a bunch of people who've been through hell and gotten a chance at redemption, but are too broken to make it work. The bigger issue was the weird turn it took into a sort of feuding couples/relationships are hard dramedy half way through the first season. There was a baffling amount of low stakes manufactured drama for a show that really ought to have had some of the highest stakes around. It was really weird seeing a show that started out as a bleak, poignant, and darkly hilarious portrait of loneliness and desperation in the wake of the unthinkable suddenly become a frothy melodrama about infidelity, zany schemes, and dark secrets. I can't be the only one who suddenly felt like I was watching Friends, But It's The Apocalypse and it was really off-putting. I've watched about two seasons now though and it's gotten a lot better about at least some of that poo poo. It's still not exactly grounded in gritty realism or anything, but it's at least fun again and they've had a couple episodes that really acknowledged how horrible their situation was in a way the show hadn't really touched since the first two episodes. Jason Sudeikas was a great addition and it seems like there might be actual external conflict brewing on the horizon again, so I think I'll keep going. I don't blame anyone who's dropped out in the mean time though. I had to take a couple long breaks from it myself and there's a reason I'm still a season behind.