Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

ASW makes asteroid belts smooth on my 1070, even with some super sampling going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Helter Skelter posted:

Stations in Elite are a very common spot for the frame rate to take a huge dump for no discernable reason other than "being in a station".

ASW on the Rift is good enough that you might not notice unless you're falling below 45fps or watching performance from outside the headset (where locking to 45fps is the sign that ASW is active), though. Unfortunately for Vive users in this case, SteamVR's reprojection implementation still has some catching up to do.

ATW is on vive now if you have an nvidia, and it works just fine.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I'm basically taking a SteamVR vacation until they have ASW.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Fooz posted:

I'm basically taking a SteamVR vacation until they have ASW.

Truga posted:

ATW is on vive now if you have an nvidia, and it works just fine.

That is the shortest vacation I've ever seen. (Enable the SteamVR Beta)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ATW != ASW

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

mellowjournalism posted:

Can you post the model? both of my glasses are from zenni and fit ok but I'd like to know what else to try.

I don't have it handy as my glasses work fine, but here's some posts about it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4vfc3z/glasses_to_wear_for_cv1_from_zenni_optical/

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4gb6vw/my_cv1_is_coming_soon_i_wear_glasses_what_frames/

That first post mentions a 3D printed prescription lens holder, anyone tried that?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
ATW isn't ASW, but ASW does nothing for cockpit games, It's not like you'll be moving around the room in your chair.

And even then, is there any VR game that isn't basically cockpit games right now that doesn't deliver 90fps on minimum required specs of 970+i5? I don't think so. My friend has a rx480 4gb and an i7-920 and elite and warthunder are the only games he's had frame rate issues in. We've done a ton of different roomscale poo poo though, and he's had zero issues, including with the latest serious sam that has absolutely hilarious recommended specs of 6 core cpu and 1070. Is smooth as butter on his pc.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I'd rather push SS and drop a few frames with ASW than ensure 90 native. Oculus has spoiled me with their software magic. Besides I've got plenty to do and Valve said they're working on ASW so waiting sounds like a fine call to me.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Fooz posted:

Ideally I'd like to have a set with the PSVR headstrap, but the HMD portion (preferably lighter and smaller) is on a spring loaded hinge, that swings down and clicks into place over they eyes. A button on the headset, and one on the controller would instantly flip the lenses up and away from your face. The whole front section could be removable too if you need to step away for a bit without having to redo the strap.

Someone's obviously been reading my posts and then making prototypes really quickly. But the hinge would be better on the top of the halo, on an arm. A bit short of the mark not to be able to look ahead, but still a big step up.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Truga posted:

ATW isn't ASW, but ASW does nothing for cockpit games, It's not like you'll be moving around the room in your chair.

And even then, is there any VR game that isn't basically cockpit games right now that doesn't deliver 90fps on minimum required specs of 970+i5? I don't think so. My friend has a rx480 4gb and an i7-920 and elite and warthunder are the only games he's had frame rate issues in. We've done a ton of different roomscale poo poo though, and he's had zero issues, including with the latest serious sam that has absolutely hilarious recommended specs of 6 core cpu and 1070. Is smooth as butter on his pc.

I think it still does, ATW will make the cockpit itself look smooth when you spin your head around, but ASW will help ships and asteroids and stuff outside your cockpit appear less stuttery and jittery. The Unspoken also seems to trigger ASW for me a decent amount of the time when my graphics settings are set to low, and I have a 970.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Unspoken isn't on steamvr tho :v:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Truga posted:

Unspoken isn't on steamvr tho :v:

It can be :pcgaming:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
loving :laffo: if you buy software on a facebook storefront

Realtalk, not saying ASW isn't great, because it is, and I can definitely see the benefit behind being able to just push SS a bit higher and not get any obvious artefacts when frame drops happen. I hope it gets to SteamVR soon. Just... I don't think there's many games on steamvr right now that are both worth playing and actually experience performance issues ATW can't smooth over.

Also, GOG really needs to start selling VR games.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Truga posted:

Also, GOG really needs to start selling VR games.

And further split the market? They will kill VR.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
How the gently caress would gog split the market by selling openvr games?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know. I'm too lazy to go back to see why people said the Oculus storefront would ruin VR to use their argument for this joke post.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i thought it was funny

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Everyone should buy and play the Unspoken because it is great

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Is there some reason that almost nobody has an issue with Steam's monopoly status?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Fooz posted:

Is there some reason that almost nobody has an issue with Steam's monopoly status?

It's a lesser evil thing.

Steam = Hilary
Facebook = Trump
OpenVR = Berney

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Because nerds worship Gabe Newell for some reason

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Fooz posted:

It's honestly not a very good monopoly these days? They've got the biggest market share, possibly even a majority, but if you total up Amazon, GoG and all the other digital storefronts they're still a decent set of competitors. In software sales the term "monopoly" usually seems to be most used when a company uses it's control of an operating system to present its store as if it's the only store - like the Windows Store does. In contrast Steam is a storefront that people need to actively seek out.

Of course by that logic you could make the argument that Steam is a dangerous monopoly on Steam machines, and that would be a totally fair argument if anyone had bought a Steam machine ever.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You're forgetting the period of time when people would buy physical copies of games and get mad because they were forced to install Steam to play the game.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Fooz posted:

Many reasons, the primary one being that it's a soft monopoly, and so far has been nothing but good for both players and small developers. The only ones really hurt by it are companies considerably larger than Valve. It would change rapidly if Valve started exploiting their monopoly at the cost of the industry, but so far they haven't and there's no real reason to think they will in the future.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I still don't exactly like steam, but at least it's not a shitshow any more like it was in its early days.

Still, I'd honestly rather just move all my games to gog if I could, those guys are cool and at least pretend they don't hate me.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Seems weird that "be there first, and eventually work" was enough to soak up a third of the income of a huge portion of the whole market. Honestly I'm surprised that software distribution platforms got away with more than 5%.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fooz posted:

Seems weird that "be there first, and eventually work" was enough to soak up a third of the income of a huge portion of the whole market. Honestly I'm surprised that software distribution platforms got away with more than 5%.

This is how a whole lot of tech companies got to where they are today, really. Network effects are killer.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
People don't want to jump ship on Steam because if it ever went under they would be out all their games!

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Fooz posted:

Seems weird that "be there first, and eventually work" was enough to soak up a third of the income of a huge portion of the whole market.

That was pretty much exactly the effect that Oculus were counting on before the Vive presented them with actual competition. Sure, the Rift's a well-constructed product, but we all know we'll be looking back at it in five years and thinking "how the hell did we think that was usable?".

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Fooz posted:

Steam was extremely good at what it did. Not at first, no, but once they got the hang of it; maybe these days its competitors are more evenly matched, but this certainly wasn't the case during the time Steam really became dominant. They really did do it by just creating a better product.

As for 3/10ths of the money, remember that they also have to provide things like support, bandwidth, and fraud protection. It's not like they just sit back and collect a check every month; 30% is an industry standard.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Lemming posted:

Everyone should buy and play the Unspoken because it is great

Having finally been able to play it after dead matchmaking queues with no lobby system (gently caress that), it's just okay. It's not £22.99 worth of content. It's a fairly bog standard 1v1 arena game but since it's in VR the rather primitive gesture system and action is blown out of proportion. The worst part is there's no good training mode where you can practice against specific attacks or scenarios fighting game style, which is the style of game this is most like oddly enough. Don't buy The Unspoken unless you have friends who have it to play with, because at least the UK queues are all kinds of bad.

It's also horribly imbalanced though in a weirdly fun way. Beat a guy with a gold star next to his name, not sure what that means in this game's tier list, solely by spamming the spears you get at the start and occasionally teleporting away from the "suddenly police cars" move. Not sure if they can be blown up or if they have to be big shielded/dodged only.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is it possible to get a screenshot of what the pixelation is like in Elite Dangerous with a Oculus? If so does anyone have one handy/could take one?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Dongattack posted:

Is it possible to get a screenshot of what the pixelation is like in Elite Dangerous with a Oculus? If so does anyone have one handy/could take one?

Somebody on reddit did something like this a while ago.
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4e4s7q/elite_dangerous_rift_vs_vive_comparison_photos/

Taking pictures of images through the optics is very difficult, though. Every time somebody tried to do it, it would spawn a mini console war because it is very hard to take accurate, unbiased measures this poo poo.

Here is a little FAQ about Elite: Dangerous on the headsets:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/wiki/elitedangerous#wiki_it_looks_better_on_the_rift_cv1

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Dongattack posted:

I've not heard of this regarding the Rift before, and a quick Google turned up this:

https://forums.oculus.com/vip/discussion/33962/elite-dangerous-rift-vs-vive-images

where the images look pretty similar to me, and the guy says he thinks the Rift is better specifically for Elite.

I've only played with the Rift, and it's fine. Sometimes a bit hard to read text, and it's obvious the resolution is low - particularly compared to my high-spec normal monitor, but there's nothing I'd describe as "pixelation" - that'd imply to me that the graphics were rendering at a lower resolution than the screen.

I wouldn't suggest getting Elite if you haven't already bought it, if that's what you're considering. If it's the kind of game you'd enjoy you probably already own it. It's cool as gently caress in VR, but it's kinda caught between sim and game, and you have to make your own fun. If you want to fly the big ships you need to catch a money making bug and/or do a lot of grinding.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

The Unspoken is great because there's an actual meta beyond "aim good", with stage control and resource management and the like. The game leaves you high and dry on figuring it out though.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Having finally been able to play it after dead matchmaking queues with no lobby system (gently caress that), it's just okay. It's not £22.99 worth of content. It's a fairly bog standard 1v1 arena game but since it's in VR the rather primitive gesture system and action is blown out of proportion. The worst part is there's no good training mode where you can practice against specific attacks or scenarios fighting game style, which is the style of game this is most like oddly enough. Don't buy The Unspoken unless you have friends who have it to play with, because at least the UK queues are all kinds of bad.

It's also horribly imbalanced though in a weirdly fun way. Beat a guy with a gold star next to his name, not sure what that means in this game's tier list, solely by spamming the spears you get at the start and occasionally teleporting away from the "suddenly police cars" move. Not sure if they can be blown up or if they have to be big shielded/dodged only.

I'm not sure what games you've been playing but it's hardly a "bog standard 1v1 arena game" can you tell me what other games it's like? I also strongly disagree with calling the gesture system primitive, being able to shoot and block with each hand independently as well as having certain actions be controlled by your head and hands simultaneously is pretty cool (for example the blackjack can charge a disc, aim with their head, then use your hands to push sideways to arc the attack so you can hit people behind cover).

I agree it would be nice if there was a better training mode, but the queue is decently active and for most people you can find games pretty much any time (for example my gf was able to consistently find games from midnight to 4am PST)

I don't know what you mean by a star, that was probably just the guy's name because the only indicator of rank is if you look at the chalkboard to the right of the match table. The balance is pretty good, some tweaks are necessary, but I can assure you that the three spears only works if someone is lagging hard or the person is really bad. Spears are strong but they can be dodged. You can shoot down cars with a fully charged default attack, or dodge them yeah. They're very situational, if you just try to spam them it probably won't work out.

The game is really fun to play, has a very high skill ceiling, and there's lots of fun tricks you can figure out over time. Almost everything also has ways to be countered or dealt with, either by things like dodging or shooting them down out of the air, so the game usually comes down to outsmarting the other person and having better execution, which is super satisfying to get better at.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Nalin posted:

Somebody on reddit did something like this a while ago.
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4e4s7q/elite_dangerous_rift_vs_vive_comparison_photos/

Taking pictures of images through the optics is very difficult, though. Every time somebody tried to do it, it would spawn a mini console war because it is very hard to take accurate, unbiased measures this poo poo.

Here is a little FAQ about Elite: Dangerous on the headsets:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/wiki/elitedangerous#wiki_it_looks_better_on_the_rift_cv1

..btt posted:

I've not heard of this regarding the Rift before, and a quick Google turned up this:

https://forums.oculus.com/vip/discussion/33962/elite-dangerous-rift-vs-vive-images

where the images look pretty similar to me, and the guy says he thinks the Rift is better specifically for Elite.

I've only played with the Rift, and it's fine. Sometimes a bit hard to read text, and it's obvious the resolution is low - particularly compared to my high-spec normal monitor, but there's nothing I'd describe as "pixelation" - that'd imply to me that the graphics were rendering at a lower resolution than the screen.

I wouldn't suggest getting Elite if you haven't already bought it, if that's what you're considering. If it's the kind of game you'd enjoy you probably already own it. It's cool as gently caress in VR, but it's kinda caught between sim and game, and you have to make your own fun. If you want to fly the big ships you need to catch a money making bug and/or do a lot of grinding.

Thanks!

I read a review saying that the low resolution of Gen1 VR made pixelation a problem, but i didn't get any wiser from those pictures really. It looks really blurry and gross, but i can't tell if thats cause the pics are taken on a cellphone or something or if that's what it's like. I wish they had it in stores around here so i could just test the drat thing myself.

And yeah, i already have Elite, but i have been putting off playing it for like 6 months i'm sure cause i want some form of headtracking the next time i get into it. I thought VR was gonna be that, but i bailed out when the user reviews started coming out saying that the image quality was a bit pants. And now i'm in that akward phase of "Gen1 VR seems like a risk, but regular headtracking just seems really akward".

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Lemming posted:

I'm not sure what games you've been playing but it's hardly a "bog standard 1v1 arena game" can you tell me what other games it's like? I also strongly disagree with calling the gesture system primitive, being able to shoot and block with each hand independently as well as having certain actions be controlled by your head and hands simultaneously is pretty cool (for example the blackjack can charge a disc, aim with their head, then use your hands to push sideways to arc the attack so you can hit people behind cover).

I agree it would be nice if there was a better training mode, but the queue is decently active and for most people you can find games pretty much any time (for example my gf was able to consistently find games from midnight to 4am PST)

I don't know what you mean by a star, that was probably just the guy's name because the only indicator of rank is if you look at the chalkboard to the right of the match table. The balance is pretty good, some tweaks are necessary, but I can assure you that the three spears only works if someone is lagging hard or the person is really bad. Spears are strong but they can be dodged. You can shoot down cars with a fully charged default attack, or dodge them yeah. They're very situational, if you just try to spam them it probably won't work out.

The game is really fun to play, has a very high skill ceiling, and there's lots of fun tricks you can figure out over time. Almost everything also has ways to be countered or dealt with, either by things like dodging or shooting them down out of the air, so the game usually comes down to outsmarting the other person and having better execution, which is super satisfying to get better at.

It reminds me of games like Bloodline Champions and the newer Battlerite, fused with a fighting game, but in VR. The only difference is how you activate your powers. You have your standard attack and defence moves bound to the triggers of each controller, while the pathetically simple gestures (the three same gestures for every class from what it seems) trigger class based special moves. I was hoping for more complex patterns similar to the game "Left-Hand Path", but with an actual budget. The gestures pretty much amount to emulation of the standard MOBA keybinds, push being Q, spread being W, crossed being E. You also have your basic attacks on right trigger and a small defensive move on left trigger. And that example with blackjack I've not come across yet, it sounds really cool to do in VR but it just sounds like Half Life's (and many other games) implementation of laser guided rockets, just a bit smarter.

The trinkets are basically abilities that require you to go through a QTE to activate them, and with basic timing ability you can easily hit anybody with the spears, at least at the lower levels, due to the teleport cooldown.

I'm sure the game, like most fighting and arena games, gets really good when it comes down to the mindgames instead of the mediocre basic mechanics. It definitely has some depth to it as a fighting game but it has little merit in my opinion as a wizard vs wizard game. It's more like the Street Fighter of VR to me than it is Doctor Strange the Game, and considering it's marketed as the latter rather than the former, it left a terrible taste.

E: Again, just to be clear, I'm not hating the game. It's just nowhere near as good as many say it is at what people think it is, and probably not for that price point. Battlerite sells for £15 while it's in early access, I could've gotten Street Fighter V for the same price, so why would I recommend a slightly less refined version of those other games when others certainly deserve the recommendation much more such as Superhot VR, I Expect You To Die, House of the Dying Sun, Dirt Rally, Onward, even Rec Room which is free. All of these games are fuller, tighter experiences for equivalent or lesser prices (especially on sale).

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 4, 2017

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Dongattack posted:

Thanks!

I read a review saying that the low resolution of Gen1 VR made pixelation a problem, but i didn't get any wiser from those pictures really. It looks really blurry and gross, but i can't tell if thats cause the pics are taken on a cellphone or something or if that's what it's like. I wish they had it in stores around here so i could just test the drat thing myself.

And yeah, i already have Elite, but i have been putting off playing it for like 6 months i'm sure cause i want some form of headtracking the next time i get into it. I thought VR was gonna be that, but i bailed out when the user reviews started coming out saying that the image quality was a bit pants. And now i'm in that akward phase of "Gen1 VR seems like a risk, but regular headtracking just seems really akward".

I played Elite with a Vive for quite some time and while it is lower res than a traditional monitor, the other advantages completely overwhelm the disadvantages. Namely the situational awareness and the depth. The blurry text is easily fixed by engaging super-sampling, but you DO need a beefy machine to do that.

I cannot stress enough how huge a difference it makes, you're not just looking at a 2D image on a screen, you're basically in your ship. You can track your targets by looking at them, you know how they're going to move because you can see their thrusters firing, and your aim improves as you can actually tell how far away something is, and where it's going. I can't go back to 2D anymore, it just sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

So this is a thing coming out:

http://www.roadtovr.com/lenovos-new-vr-headset-packs-pixels-lower-price-weight-rift-vive/

Shame it probably won't work well in room space.