Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Dongattack posted:

I read a review saying that the low resolution of Gen1 VR made pixelation a problem, but i didn't get any wiser from those pictures really. It looks really blurry and gross, but i can't tell if thats cause the pics are taken on a cellphone or something or if that's what it's like. I wish they had it in stores around here so i could just test the drat thing myself.

Images are terrible at showing what VR actually looks like. This is more reliable, just hit p for low persistence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Dongattack posted:

Thanks!

I read a review saying that the low resolution of Gen1 VR made pixelation a problem, but i didn't get any wiser from those pictures really. It looks really blurry and gross, but i can't tell if thats cause the pics are taken on a cellphone or something or if that's what it's like. I wish they had it in stores around here so i could just test the drat thing myself.

And yeah, i already have Elite, but i have been putting off playing it for like 6 months i'm sure cause i want some form of headtracking the next time i get into it. I thought VR was gonna be that, but i bailed out when the user reviews started coming out saying that the image quality was a bit pants. And now i'm in that akward phase of "Gen1 VR seems like a risk, but regular headtracking just seems really akward".

No Best Buys around? Sucks. But if pixelation is your main issue, and Elite is the game you want to play, the Rift is really the best option for you. It has higher pixel density (sharper text) and ASW makes certain portions of Elite actually playable (planetary landings).

But you also seem like the kind of person who will be disappointed by the gen 1 stuff, so I wouldn't impulse buy until you have a chance to try it out for yourself.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Alpha Phoenix posted:

So this is a thing coming out:

http://www.roadtovr.com/lenovos-new-vr-headset-packs-pixels-lower-price-weight-rift-vive/

Shame it probably won't work well in room space.

I imagine it will have some list of flaws but it's nice to see the resolution jumping up already. Things are going to look insane on super-high res kits. Hopefully optics tech can make some jumps too, that's the real challenge.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'm sure the game, like most fighting and arena games, gets really good when it comes down to the mindgames instead of the mediocre basic mechanics. It definitely has some depth to it as a fighting game

basically

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Images are terrible at showing what VR actually looks like. This is more reliable, just hit p for low persistence.

Thanks! That helps a lot. What kinda resolution should i select there?

Nalin posted:

No Best Buys around? Sucks. But if pixelation is your main issue, and Elite is the game you want to play, the Rift is really the best option for you. It has higher pixel density (sharper text) and ASW makes certain portions of Elite actually playable (planetary landings).

But you also seem like the kind of person who will be disappointed by the gen 1 stuff, so I wouldn't impulse buy until you have a chance to try it out for yourself.

Nah, rural Norway, there's nothing advanced in terms of tech stores around here. But now that i think about it we have a p robust 14 day return policy on in country internet shopping, i think i can order one and return it within 14 days without giving a reason. I need to check the rules for it a bit more, maybe it's finicky regarding how you used it/opened the package/mauled the wrapping or whatever.

ASW?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Dongattack posted:

Thanks! That helps a lot. What kinda resolution should i select there?

Nah, rural Norway, there's nothing advanced in terms of tech stores around here. But now that i think about it we have a p robust 14 day return policy on in country internet shopping, i think i can order one and return it within 14 days without giving a reason. I need to check the rules for it a bit more, maybe it's finicky regarding how you used it/opened the package/mauled the wrapping or whatever.

ASW?

CV1 (Number 3). ASW is a rendering technique that makes things magically much better.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

CV1 (Number 3). ASW is a rendering technique that makes things magically much better.

Ah okay, thanks :D

edit: That looks a lot better than what i expected it too tbh. If i don't want to use the onboard headset, how finicky is it to use a regular one that covers the entire ear in addition to wearing the headset?

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 4, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

It reminds me of games like Bloodline Champions and the newer Battlerite, fused with a fighting game, but in VR. The only difference is how you activate your powers. You have your standard attack and defence moves bound to the triggers of each controller, while the pathetically simple gestures (the three same gestures for every class from what it seems) trigger class based special moves. I was hoping for more complex patterns similar to the game "Left-Hand Path", but with an actual budget. The gestures pretty much amount to emulation of the standard MOBA keybinds, push being Q, spread being W, crossed being E. You also have your basic attacks on right trigger and a small defensive move on left trigger. And that example with blackjack I've not come across yet, it sounds really cool to do in VR but it just sounds like Half Life's (and many other games) implementation of laser guided rockets, just a bit smarter.

The trinkets are basically abilities that require you to go through a QTE to activate them, and with basic timing ability you can easily hit anybody with the spears, at least at the lower levels, due to the teleport cooldown.

I'm sure the game, like most fighting and arena games, gets really good when it comes down to the mindgames instead of the mediocre basic mechanics. It definitely has some depth to it as a fighting game but it has little merit in my opinion as a wizard vs wizard game. It's more like the Street Fighter of VR to me than it is Doctor Strange the Game, and considering it's marketed as the latter rather than the former, it left a terrible taste.

E: Again, just to be clear, I'm not hating the game. It's just nowhere near as good as many say it is at what people think it is, and probably not for that price point. Battlerite sells for £15 while it's in early access, I could've gotten Street Fighter V for the same price, so why would I recommend a slightly less refined version of those other games when others certainly deserve the recommendation much more such as Superhot VR, I Expect You To Die, House of the Dying Sun, Dirt Rally, Onward, even Rec Room which is free. All of these games are fuller, tighter experiences for equivalent or lesser prices (especially on sale).

Dude you say you wish the gesture spells were more like Left Hand Path and then immediately after that the artifacts, which do involve more complicated gestures, are basically just QTEs... so Left Hand Path isn't, then? I just don't get your complaints here, they don't really make any sense. The default gestures are less complicated but that doesn't mean they don't involve interesting execution (for example, the shield for the Anarchist is also affected by the way you angle your head, and then the overhand gesture for both Anarchist and Blackjack require you to go on to pass your hand through the rockets/cards to trigger them, allowing you to do things like hold some of them back while you create an artifact, or even just pepper them in with your default attacks). It's also "just like pressing a button" as much as doing anything at all is just like pressing a button. Pressing a button abstracts doing an actual action, so if you're doing the actual action instead, that's interesting! That's the entire point of VR.

Like yeah, there are things that are similar to other games that have come before. That's true of literally every game that has ever existed. VR games are also more expensive than regular games as a rule, that's not unique to the Unspoken. It's also a completely different game to Battlerite and Street Fighter V (wtf?). They only have a few mechanics that are similar. They are not remotely close to being interchangeable. You could level similar complaints to every one of those games you listed (SuperHot is just an FPS, may as well play Counter Strike. I Expect You To Die is just an escape room, may as well play one of those flash games. House of the Dying Sun is just a space flying game, may as well play X Wing Fighter. Dirt Rally is just a racing game, may as well play Mario Kart. Onward is just an FPS, may as well play Counter Strike again). Again, the Unspoken is... literally a different game, that gives you a different experience.

There's nothing wrong with the game just not being for you or whatever but none of the trailers were misleading in any way, all the footage that's in game is pretty much exactly how the game is actually played.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Reprojection, ATW (Asynchronous time warp), and ASW (asynchronous space warp) are methods of generating synthetic frames when your computer misses them at the 90hz vsync of the headsets. They have varying levels of artifacts, with ASW having the least. If you're dropping frames, ASW makes it completely unnoticeable in nearly all situations, and artifacts are situational (fast or unpredictable moving objects having a ghost effect is what you get) even at every other frame, with the computer running 45 fps. ATW causes more severe and noticeable artifacts, with the entire world subject to distortion if you do positional movement, and moving objects don't update in a ATW frame.

The Oculus SDK (which the vive cant run) runs ASW, and SteamVR runs ATW (unless the game has Oculus SDK support anyways), but Valve said they're working on a ASW solution.

ASW is basically a software miracle, I'm surprised it was only invented for VR, since I imagine it would work for almost any screen based game too (mouse FPS's might be erratic enough to cause worse artifacts, but I imagine it still beats dropped frames).

Dongattack posted:

edit: That looks a lot better than what i expected it too tbh. If i don't want to use the onboard headset, how finicky is it to use a regular one that covers the entire ear in addition to wearing the headset?

You'd be surprised. Those earphones are a godsend of convenience and sound fine. I used over-ears with my vive at first but gave that up, there's generally enough on your head that you don't want to add any more bulk to the experience. Oculus also sells in-ears for the rift which are supposed to sound better but I'm not familiar, and a few companies are coming out with their own rift phones and buds (including an audiophile company making 400$ ones apparently).

Fooz fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 4, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Lemming posted:

Dude you say you wish the gesture spells were more like Left Hand Path and then immediately after that the artifacts, which do involve more complicated gestures, are basically just QTEs... so Left Hand Path isn't, then? I just don't get your complaints here, they don't really make any sense. The default gestures are less complicated but that doesn't mean they don't involve interesting execution (for example, the shield for the Anarchist is also affected by the way you angle your head, and then the overhand gesture for both Anarchist and Blackjack require you to go on to pass your hand through the rockets/cards to trigger them, allowing you to do things like hold some of them back while you create an artifact, or even just pepper them in with your default attacks). It's also "just like pressing a button" as much as doing anything at all is just like pressing a button. Pressing a button abstracts doing an actual action, so if you're doing the actual action instead, that's interesting! That's the entire point of VR.

Like yeah, there are things that are similar to other games that have come before. That's true of literally every game that has ever existed. VR games are also more expensive than regular games as a rule, that's not unique to the Unspoken. It's also a completely different game to Battlerite and Street Fighter V (wtf?). They only have a few mechanics that are similar. They are not remotely close to being interchangeable. You could level similar complaints to every one of those games you listed (SuperHot is just an FPS, may as well play Counter Strike. I Expect You To Die is just an escape room, may as well play one of those flash games. House of the Dying Sun is just a space flying game, may as well play X Wing Fighter. Dirt Rally is just a racing game, may as well play Mario Kart. Onward is just an FPS, may as well play Counter Strike again). Again, the Unspoken is... literally a different game, that gives you a different experience.

There's nothing wrong with the game just not being for you or whatever but none of the trailers were misleading in any way, all the footage that's in game is pretty much exactly how the game is actually played.

The artifacts don't feel like the gesture spells to me, they're more precision "hit the glowing thing", especially for the spear. I'm not drawing specific runes for each spell, I'm hitting highlighted circles. I'm not summoning fireballs and flaming skulls, I'm doing a generic gesture or literally pushing a button. No spell feels unique. What I'm trying to get across via comparisons to Battlerite and SFV is that it's a fighting game, it doesn't sell me on the wizardry experience as well as it should. It feels more like a combination of those games but in VR. The games I mentioned all sell that experience that they're trying to be, but Unspoken feels less like I'm playing as Doctor Strange or Harry Potter and more like a MOBA style character in a Street Fighter style battle. I'm not saying that's a bad thing though, it's just different to the marketing and theming, and the price is poo poo!

E: I'll clarify further: Most expensive VR games are not worth the money. They may be good, but not good enough to charge that much. I have problems with Out of Ammo, but that game is more reasonably priced than The Unspoken, Raw Data, the wave based Serious Sam, The Gallery and many other functionally good games that aren't that good. Superhot VR is loving amazing though and I'd pay the price of admission again for a new level pack.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 4, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fooz posted:

ASW is basically a software miracle, I'm surprised it was only invented for VR, since I imagine it would work for almost any screen based game too (mouse FPS's might be erratic enough to cause worse artifacts, but I imagine it still beats dropped frames).

Non-VR games don't become unplayable and risk real-life discomfort when they fall below 90fps, it wasn't a problem worth solving when everyone was OK with just living with it or turning down a setting or two.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The artifacts don't feel like the gesture spells to me, they're more precision "hit the glowing thing", especially for the spear. I'm not drawing specific runes for each spell, I'm hitting highlighted circles. I'm not summoning fireballs and flaming skulls, I'm doing a generic gesture or literally pushing a button. No spell feels unique. What I'm trying to get across via comparisons to Battlerite and SFV is that it's a fighting game, it doesn't sell me on the wizardry experience as well as it should. It feels more like a combination of those games but in VR. The games I mentioned all sell that experience that they're trying to be, but Unspoken feels less like I'm playing as Doctor Strange or Harry Potter and more like a MOBA style character in a Street Fighter style battle. I'm not saying that's a bad thing though, it's just different to the marketing and theming!

I don't know what game you thought it was because the marketing and theming is pretty much exactly what the game is. There's no misrepresentation. Look at the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVD1O853aSw

Like... this is exactly the game. It's very honest. The reveal trailer has some differences

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A0QPOMJzuo

but that's normal for things to change over the course of development. The yellow box drawing thing style thing is basically exactly what the Cthulhu Tentacles book is. Like if you bought the game with 0 knowledge of it beyond "it's about wizards" and it wasn't what you were expecting then I think that's just on you.

Edit: Noticed you added an edit about the pricing. I think it's absolutely worth the price, it's a very deep game and I've put a ton of hours into it already. I got it for free with the preorder but I also bought a copy for my girlfriend so she could play ranked with her own account. What games are worth is highly subjective, and I think it's a better deal than most single player games because due to its competitive nature there's a lot more longevity to it.

Lemming fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 4, 2017

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Fooz posted:

Oculus also sells in-ears for the rift which are supposed to sound better but I'm not familiar, and a few companies are coming out with their own rift phones and buds (including an audiophile company making 400$ ones apparently).

I have the in-ear ones for Oculus. They are pretty good and block sound better than the over the ear versions. The main drawback is that after half a year of just pulling the whole headset off my head, I will still sometimes try to do it while the earbuds are still in my ears.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

MOBA style character in a Street Fighter style battle

I think this is accurate but I don't think they marketed it wrongly. They were pushing competitive fighting aspect the whole time. I wouldn't mind if they put it on sale though to fill out the queue, but it's not that empty atm.

It's fundamentally good and exciting pvp though, which is just great in VR. You do have to learn to play though, and most people don't understand the game so winning ranked matches isn't necessarily a measure of success.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Thought something like that lenovo thing would emerge soon. Wonder how the FoV/FPS will turn out

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Eh, I guess I just got totally different vibes from it. It looked like they were really playing up the wizardry element of the fighting via gestures and it turned out really, really basic that I find extremely underwhelming.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Eh, I guess I just got totally different vibes from it. It looked like they were really playing up the wizardry element of the fighting via gestures and it turned out really, really basic that I find extremely underwhelming.

That's fair. I do wish there was a more involved spellcasting game, maybe that even involved specific chants. I think that'd be dope.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Gorn is the sequel to Die By The Sword my 7 year old self would've murdered to play. Holy poo poo slicing and dicing a dude up with a sword is so satisfying. Really makes you work for your punches too but maybe a little too hard, I'm terrified of acutally hitting something.

Completed Superhot VR and had a riot the entire way, wish there was an easier way to replay the campaign seamlessly other than deleting the save because I want to show EVERYONE this.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 4, 2017

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Songbearer posted:

Gorn is the sequel to Die By The Sword my 7 year old self would've murdered to play. Holy poo poo slicing and dicing a dude up with a sword is so satisfying. Really makes you work for your punches too but maybe a little too hard, I'm terrified of acutally hitting something.

Completed Superhot VR and had a riot the entire way, wish there was an easier way to replay the campaign seamlessly other than deleting the save because I want to show EVERYONE this.

Gorn is really good, but even with a big playspace I can never really haul off. I always feel like I'm seconds away from punching my wall

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Songbearer posted:

You should be able to pick the first level in the level select and it will follow the normal progression (probably minus the intermediate room sequences with the disks).

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Nalin posted:

You should be able to pick the first level in the level select and it will follow the normal progression (probably minus the intermediate room sequences with the disks).

Every time you finish a level from level select it dumps you back at level select. Its a minor issue but if you are showing somebody else the game having to explain which level to pick next while not inside of VR is a bit more complicated.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Alpha Phoenix posted:

So this is a thing coming out:

http://www.roadtovr.com/lenovos-new-vr-headset-packs-pixels-lower-price-weight-rift-vive/

Shame it probably won't work well in room space.

What kind of cool spyware is this going to have on it? Facebook is lol but only Lenovo is guilty of going above and beyond in that realm.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

KakerMix posted:

What kind of cool spyware is this going to have on it? Facebook is lol but only Lenovo is guilty of going above and beyond in that realm.

None, because it is an inert block of plastic

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
"The headset shown to The Verge wasn’t working, so no information is currently available"

I'm also coming out with a headset, this year, with 10 million p's per eye that will also inject heroin straight into your dick for the low low price of six bucks

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

eonwe posted:

Gorn is really good, but even with a big playspace I can never really haul off. I always feel like I'm seconds away from punching my wall

definitely scraped my knuckes more than once with Gorn. I can report that Touch controllers are pretty sturdy

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

We need tracked sock-em boppers

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/4/14172022/htc-vive-tracker-vr-motion-tracker-adapter

quote:

and a real baseball bat with a tracker on one end.

Ho boy.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
HTC demoed a few new accessories as well as the TP Cast at CES this year.

Device Tracker (puck meant to be used with physical objects and other things to enable light house tracking)
http://www.roadtovr.com/htc-vive-tracker-enables-a-bevy-of-bats-guns-gloves-and-other-tracked-accessories/

Deluxe Audio Strap (new strap with headphones attached, basically a copy of the rift implementation)
http://www.roadtovr.com/new-htc-vive-deluxe-audio-strap-adds-integrated-headphones-ratcheting-headstrap/

More reports that TPCast wireless works $250 US MSRP.
http://www.theverge.com/ces/2017/1/4/14172296/htc-vive-wireless-adapter-tpcast-ces-2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Lmao

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I can't wait to see video of people wrecking their computer/vr room with tracked baseball bats.

I also can't wait to be the one wrecking poo poo as I try to use a wireless Vive in as much of the room as I can get away with. For $250 since everyone seems to agree it works I'm totally in.

If that deluxe strap is under $75 and more comfortable I'll buy it too.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

People getting into vr with gen 2 are going to have a good time.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

So on one hand $250 bucks but on the other hand wireless VR which was all but impossible to bring to market around a year ago

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

KakerMix posted:

So on one hand $250 bucks but on the other hand wireless VR which was all but impossible to bring to market around a year ago

As a software/hardware dev, a loving shitload can happen in a year with a motivated & capable team.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'd probably pony up $250 if it worked flawlessly.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Some cool stuff coming to the vive. If oculus has any sense they'll make sure the wireless stuff gets on their set at the same time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

This is how VR ends. Not with a whimper, but with a few dead friends and a baseball bat through a TV.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Cojawfee posted:

This is how VR ends. Not with a whimper, but with a few dead friends and a baseball bat through a TV.

Hotline Miami: VR looking great

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

AndrewP posted:

I'd probably pony up $250 if it worked flawlessly.

Ditto. Some of my favorite games right now are seriously hampered by the cord.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I played Gorn last night. You should REALLY play Gorn if you haven't already, holy poo poo. Never has using your fists to pummel a large (mostly)naked man to death been so much fun. The spear's a hoot once you get good at it, but the warhammer is a bit rear end. Arrows are ok, but are a bit of a pain to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Warbird posted:

I played Gorn last night. You should REALLY play Gorn if you haven't already, holy poo poo. Never has using your fists to pummel a large (mostly)naked man to death been so much fun. The spear's a hoot once you get good at it, but the warhammer is a bit rear end. Arrows are ok, but are a bit of a pain to use.

I just played it for the first time last night, I've had a Rift since launch and is the first time I've broken a sweat and punched a real life object (empty plastic cup on my desk, luckily).

Has the game not been updated since that apparently months old build?