Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spergatory posted:

It's good fun up until season 4, then it tanks hard and never recovers. If you're enjoying it, watch through season 3b (yeah, they do split-seasons sometimes, I think it's a tax thing).

Doesn't that show also have a hard time keeping hold of its actors because MTV doesn't pay too well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

Doesn't that show also have a hard time keeping hold of its actors because MTV doesn't pay too well?

I know that the jock left to be a regular on Arrow. Then they edited out all his scenes in Arrow. Now he's not on any show.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rarity posted:

gently caress you, DP. gently caress you.

Sold

I was talking to you especially, Rarity. I don't know if I can guarantee you'll like this as much as JJ, but I think you'll be glad you got into it all the same.

EDIT: Do the first two eps in one shot and don't decide it's not for you until you see a character throw up. (Should happen halfway through the first episode.)

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 5, 2017

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Wheat Loaf posted:

They lost one main because he wanted to do sick flips on a CW show, another because she was a decade older than everyone else and there's only so long a woman in her 30s can play 17 even with amazing bone structure, a side because she got her own show on the CW where she's the star, and a few others here and there. Conversely though probably the most popular actor got a 3 movie teen action series that is actually making solid bank and is still around, so they've actually been profoundly lucky in that regard.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've never seen a show with a higher actor turnover. They can't even hold on to the new kids they brought in to replace some of the original cast that left.

Mulva posted:

Conversely though probably the most popular actor got a 3 movie teen action series that is actually making solid bank and is still around, so they've actually been profoundly lucky in that regard.

That show would be DOA without Dylan O'brien. He can act circles around the rest of the cast.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

DivisionPost posted:

Holy loving poo poo, tonight's Sweet/Vicious.

The show just keeps getting better.

It really does.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Dude got cast to play Mitch Rapp too, there's like a million of those books and people ate them up. There is nobody on the planet that would blink twice at him going "Screw you nerds!" and just loving off from MTV forever.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DivisionPost posted:

Holy loving poo poo, tonight's Sweet/Vicious.

The show just keeps getting better.

It literally has the lowest rating on Kodi.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok I watched the first episode of Sweet/Vicious and I enjoyed it a lot but DP please tell me this show doesn't present every single male character bar the love interest as a rapist. Please? I'm all for feminist television but no to that.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rocksicles posted:

It literally has the lowest rating on Kodi.

Then I can only assume there's something wrong with the people who vote on Kodi.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rarity posted:

Ok I watched the first episode of Sweet/Vicious and I enjoyed it a lot but DP please tell me this show doesn't present every single male character bar the love interest as a rapist. Please? I'm all for feminist television but no to that.

Come to think of it, that might be an issue. The third episode kind of remedies that through one of its plot twists, and aside from the love interest you've still got Sam from You're the Worst, as well as the campus cop, who's playing a bigger role in the story as of episode 5. Still, the fact that I can't come up with any character names on the fly might give you some agita.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How do I watch this show?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rhyno posted:

How do I watch this show?

The first three episodes are open to anyone in the states: http://www.mtv.com/shows/sweet-vicious/episode-guide

Beyond that, you'll have to either get a cable login, fork over money to Amazon/Apple, or get creative.

EDIT: MTV used to throw episodes of their shows on Hulu 3-4 weeks after they aired, but they haven't done it for this show. Basically they're assholes.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 5, 2017

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

DivisionPost posted:

Come to think of it, that might be an issue. The third episode kind of remedies that through one of its plot twists, and aside from the love interest you've still got Sam from You're the Worst, as well as the campus cop, who's playing a bigger role in the story as of episode 5. Still, the fact that I can't come up with any character names on the fly might give you some agita.

To add to this: Episode 9 is titled "An Innocent Man".

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

DivisionPost posted:

I was one of the first ones to tell you fuckers about Person of Interest and BoJack Horseman. God as my witness, I will drag you all kicking and screaming into this show if I have to.

EDIT: Considering so many of you praised Jessica Jones for how it handled PTSD and feminist issues, I KNOW this could be your poo poo. I'm not going to deny that it looks like it was made for pocket change but god drat do they come out strong on every other front.

It's a great show, maybe the best superhero show being made right now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DivisionPost posted:

The first three episodes are open to anyone in the states: http://www.mtv.com/shows/sweet-vicious/episode-guide

Beyond that, you'll have to either get a cable login, fork over money to Amazon/Apple, or get creative.

EDIT: MTV used to throw episodes of their shows on Hulu 3-4 weeks after they aired, but they haven't done it for this show. Basically they're assholes.

I'll give it a shot. I have some video credits with Amazon, maybe it will work for this show?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I wonder what I watched that made Netflix think I'd give Magicians four stars.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

I know that the jock left to be a regular on Arrow. Then they edited out all his scenes in Arrow. Now he's not on any show.

There was a thing after he left Arrow where the producers mentioned that he was never actually a "regular" regular and that the plan for him and his character was always just for a couple of seasons. Also I assume he's just fallen back to his other career of highly paid male model.

Anyway, everyone don't forget that the best show you're not watching, Man Seeking Woman, also starts up again tonight.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lycus posted:

I wonder what I watched that made Netflix think I'd give Magicians four stars.

Netflix is a recommendation thing, not a quality rating. 4 stars means it matches your viewing habits well, not necessarily that they think you'll like it.

If you watched a whole bunch of superhero shows it would 4 star Gotham even though it's the worst.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Amazon Prime keeps recommending me terrible looking direct-to-video gay movies. I can't recall watching anything gay except maybe that one episode of The Sopranos with Vito.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Anyway, everyone don't forget that the best show you're not watching, Man Seeking Woman, also starts up again tonight.

I feel like I would have watched this by now if it starred literally any other actor but Jay Baruchel ya feel

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

DivisionPost posted:

It might be an issue, Ophila is shown having sexual relationships that aren't forced but yeah

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

I feel like I would have watched this by now if it starred literally any other actor but Jay Baruchel ya feel

Well, you're not exactly supposed to like his character but by the end of the second season he had kind of grown into a better person. Which is why it was kind of a surprise that it got renewed because the season 2 finale was almost like a series finale.

Also I'm almost done with Travelers and man, the end of episode 11 was really loving harsh.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Well, you're not exactly supposed to like his character but by the end of the second season he had kind of grown into a better person. Which is why it was kind of a surprise that it got renewed because the season 2 finale was almost like a series finale.

Also I'm almost done with Travelers and man, the end of episode 11 was really loving harsh.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
There's something funny about you talking about episode 11 of Travelers and then immediately repeating your actions.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Escobarbarian posted:

If you need to ease into the show sans Baruchel the Woman Seeking Man episodes focusing on his sister are fairly self-contained and also amazing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So, uh, this season premiere of Always Sunny...
I haven't watched this show in a couple of seasons, has it been "body switching musical episode" level bizarre for a while or is this a recent thing?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

raditts posted:

So, uh, this season premiere of Always Sunny...
I haven't watched this show in a couple of seasons, has it been "body switching musical episode" level bizarre for a while or is this a recent thing?

I want to say it's not that much of a stretch but it's still pretty loving weird.

Man Seeking Woman premiere was better.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

Mu Zeta posted:

Amazon Prime keeps recommending me terrible looking direct-to-video gay movies. I can't recall watching anything gay except maybe that one episode of The Sopranos with Vito.

It's a problem with their algorithm because I have the same exact recommendations and the only gay stuff I've ever watched was a few episodes of Arrow.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

One of my favorite small tweaks of modern society is that at any given moment any person may be having an identity crisis wondering if a computer algorithm knows something about them they don't know.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

One of my favorite small tweaks of modern society is that at any given moment any person may be having an identity crisis wondering if a computer algorithm knows something about them they don't know.
Pretty sure that only happens to literal crazy people

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well, way to take the fun out of it and take it like a serious identity crisis.

But I still like the idea that somewhere there's someone who takes just a moment too long wondering why Amazon thinks he likes gay movies so much.

Personally I've had moments where my Netflix recommendations were filled with gory horrors or tween shows and I stopped and wondered how I'd been spending my down time.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 5, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Timby posted:

Just saw that Archer is getting moved over to FXX. I bet they're happy they got that three-season renewal now...
It was gonna be on FXX last season, but they changed their minds a couple months before it debuted. The ratings were still down, so I figured they'd stick to the original plan for the next season.

muscles like this! posted:

I thought Always Sunny was funny, unlike some of the people in the thread, but the Man Seeking Woman premiere was funnier. I do hope Mike gets more screentime this season, though. Josh sure knows how to snag cute women, doesn't he? Plus, I noticed that the gay male roommate was the same guy who plays Matthew on Difficult People.

raditts: I wouldn't say there's been an Always Sunny episode that bizarre, but last season Always Sunny did an episode on a ski mountain that was supposed to evoke '80s teen comedies, so it's not the first time they've broken formula.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It would be pretty funny if Amazon started recommending things to watch based on other things you purchased. Oh you just bought a decorative samurai sword and some wall scrolls? Here's a bunch of anime poo poo for you.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

How'd South Park hold up over the years? I haven't watched it in at least a decade and I just signed up for some Hulu and notice they've got it. I probably won't bother since there's a bunch of other shows for me to binge before I cancel in a month or two but is it worth even putting on my watchlist? Hell, forget "hold up", was any of it any good? I haven't watched it since I was a douchey drunk kid who would embarrass current me so I have no idea if it was ever good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

It would be pretty funny if Amazon started recommending things to watch based on other things you purchased. Oh you just bought a decorative samurai sword and some wall scrolls? Here's a bunch of anime poo poo for you.
I'm surprised they don't already do that

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It has to. I bought a $5 Christmas ornament for a show we're not supposed to talk about for a laugh and man, oh man has it done a number on my Amazon Recommendations formula. Toys, books, tv shows, kitchen ware. Amazon wants me to buy the gently caress out of this nerdy show's poo poo now.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

How'd South Park hold up over the years?
While I also haven't watched a new episode of South Park in a long time, I've heard that they're not doing the "truth is somewhere in the middle" episodes anywhere close to the degree that they used to. At the same time, I can't imagine that a lot of the episodes have aged well, since it's a show so focused on the celebrity or current event of the moment.

If you do want to watch newer episodes of South Park, bear in mind that the most recent two seasons have season-long arcs, so you can't just jump right in.

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

Escobarbarian posted:

I have seen this sentiment pop up a few times and don't quite understand it. Has he typically been a bad actor in other things or just an obnoxious person? Outside of Man Seeking Woman I cannot remember seeing him in anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah he's been in a bunch of stuff - he's like C-grade Apatow crew - but I've never liked him in anything. Maybe as the lead in the How to Train Your Dragon flicks? Sorta? He's very blah.

• Locked thread