Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
yeah let me just drop into a shell here *presses ctrl alt f1*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

atomicthumbs posted:

yeah let me just drop into a shell here *presses ctrl alt f1*

gross dumb vtys on x86 are a heritage of sco unix

thanks, sco, i guess

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

next year, on the desktop

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

FreeBSD and Linux on the Desktop, when the Gnomes fell.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
which gnomes, 2 or 3?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

fritz posted:

next year, on the desktop

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hooray for thread title update

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
my joke survived a title update. this is my proudest moment

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Hi guys i upgraded my fedora to 25 and now i cant use the fedora handbrake nvidia drivers i get a blackscreen, i can use the regular nvidia drivers but i went all the way to remove them to use the automatic install ones that now i cant be bothered soz

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

2017 year of still using the proprietary graphics drivers

this is why we can't ever fully switch to wayland

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

el dorito posted:

gnome has an eglstreams<->gbm shim now that was too late for fedora 25 but will probably be in 26 so wayland will work with nvidia drivers

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The_Franz posted:

gnome has an eglstreams<->gbm shim now that was too late for fedora 25 but will probably be in 26 so wayland will work with nvidia drivers

X is dead, long live X!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

my joke survived a title update. this is my proudest moment

ur av didnt tho

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

el dorito posted:

nothing wrong with a proprietary driver

just use an operating system written by people who understand the concept of binary compatibility

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

eschaton posted:

nothing wrong with a proprietary driver

just use an operating system written by people who understand the concept of binary compatibility

booooo

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i switched to fedora 25, and while it is not entirely without bumps i do think that crappy old x11 is finally going to get demoted to a compatibility module. this thing actually works.

really didn't think i'd ever see the day

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i switched to fedora 25, and while it is not entirely without bumps i do think that crappy old x11 is finally going to get demoted to a compatibility module. this thing actually works.

really didn't think i'd ever see the day

you haven't and you probably won't

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

cool i can have reduced performance in an unsupported configuration and in exchange I get awesome wayland features like nothing, nothing, and fuckall.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

cool i can have reduced performance in an unsupported configuration and in exchange I get awesome wayland features like nothing, nothing, and fuckall.

I thought waylaid was going to provide all sorts of immensely valuable capabilities, such as the ability to transition from the boot screen to the desktop without flickering for a millisecond

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

since this is an nbsd post i will just assume that wayland is actually good

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
wayland is of course named after a mythological smith who once made some nice rings and was promptly hamstrung to prevent him being useful to anyone else, which seems an appropriate metaphor for linux on the desktop

he is also famous for being a rapist, so i guess it joins gimp on the list of open source projects that really really ought to have thought a little harder about their names

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

im looking forward to mixed hidpi settings across monitors -- atm ive got some randr hack to make the scaling work properly across monitors and it makes things look grainy

Soricidus posted:

wayland is of course named after a mythological smith who once made some nice rings and was promptly hamstrung to prevent him being useful to anyone else, which seems an appropriate metaphor for linux on the desktop

he is also famous for being a rapist, so i guess it joins gimp on the list of open source projects that really really ought to have thought a little harder about their names

no its named after a town in massachusetts you weirdo

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Captain Foo posted:

since this is an nbsd post i will just assume that wayland is actually good

just remember to add in the implied "for my specific use case" to the end of each of his posts

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Progressive JPEG posted:

im looking forward to mixed hidpi settings across monitors -- atm ive got some randr hack to make the scaling work properly across monitors and it makes things look grainy

ok that is actually rad as hell and gives me a reason to care about wayland

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Progressive JPEG posted:

no its named after a town in massachusetts you weirdo

yeah and gimp is just a harmless acronym for gnu image manipulation package, nothing to do with disabled people or kinky stuff at all

even if you're right that doesn't alter the fact that wayland the smith has been a part of our germanic cultural heritage for thousands of years and is the most natural interpretation of the name, not some tiny town nobody has ever heard of

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Soricidus posted:

yeah and gimp is just a harmless acronym for gnu image manipulation package, nothing to do with disabled people or kinky stuff at all

even if you're right that doesn't alter the fact that wayland the smith has been a part of our germanic cultural heritage for thousands of years and is the most natural interpretation of the name, not some tiny town nobody has ever heard of

i always assumed it was

but with copyright dodging

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lmao look at these people voluntarily wasting perfectly good screen real estate.

my 2017 lotd rant:
i hope fedora 26 makes a way for me to actually set a keyboard model in all the apps. in gnome I couln't even find if it can be set, and the setting in kde control panel or systemd/gdm conf doesn't apply to everything correctly either

right now, my laptop keyboard works incorrectly to various degrees in everything not a terminal. luckily i spend 99% of my time on the laptop in some sort of terminal and qt creator fakevim, which also surprisingly works correctly (while no other qt app does, including qt creator without fakevim enabled)

still, it's annoying i get no home/end key functionality in almost any gui app, including both browsers, unless i plug in a usb keyboard

it's an even bigger clusterfuck on other distros, so it's not something wayland did

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Soricidus posted:

i have no idea who wayland the smith is and every idea of what wayland the town is

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Is this some sort of bizarre troll to complement his weird fantasy world where mach is in any way a good foundation for real world operating systems

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

so moving a uefi ubuntu installed hard drive from one computer to another doesn't allow it to boot. grub doesn't even show up. 2017 is definitely shaping up!!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

b0red posted:

so moving a uefi ubuntu installed hard drive from one computer to another doesn't allow it to boot. grub doesn't even show up. 2017 is definitely shaping up!!

part of uefi os configuration actually lives in the bios

if you are lucky then your bios has a mechanism to configure it to load your bootloader

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

like, you need to actually configure your bios to tell it where grub is, and any command line arguments.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

uefi has a fallback to look for a boot loader in EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi (which is where everyone else puts it) if there is no entry or a bad entry in nvram, but for some reason ubuntu installs it in a different path so the fallback behavior won't work.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Also most uefi bioses won't look for any more bootloaders after it finds one, so if you have two hard drives with two efi loaders , after it finds the first one it won't search again

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

The_Franz posted:

uefi has a fallback to look for a boot loader in EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi (which is where everyone else puts it) if there is no entry or a bad entry in nvram, but for some reason ubuntu installs it in a different path so the fallback behavior won't work.

yeah ubuntu doesn't make that. figured that out like an hour ago. cheers tho. wish i had checked this thread earlier

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
ubuntu sounds like a big leaky sack of fail

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

ubuntu sounds like a big leaky sack of fail

it's loving awful but i've finally got our product on centos and a few of our customers on it. things are looking up although i'll still have to manage a few ubuntu customers for awhile.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

wait whats x11s replacement? or am i reading this wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Silver Alicorn posted:

linux sounds like a big leaky sack of fail

fixed 4 u