Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well it has a great pedigree so I'll check out PoI, especially since it's "complete" now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Escobarbarian posted:

Please not Stranger Things at 1 please please please

Don't think enough people put Stranger Things at #1 for it to beat out Westworld, probably.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah it's totally gonna be Westworld

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Escobarbarian posted:

Please not Stranger Things at 1 please please please

It'll prob be westworld.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Better Call Saul beating out Westworld would be a real surprise, but I certainly wouldn't be mad about it.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
I wouldn't be mad with any show being number 1

:shrug:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Leaving that triple tie behind us, we come to a show only escaped it by one point! There's only three shows left: Stranger Things, Better Call Saul and Westworld. Which could it be?

MrBuddyLee posted:

Good cliffhanger, great season.

DarklyDreaming posted:

The actors make it look easy

Regy Rusty posted:

Both sad and fascinating.

Kynazeras posted:

This show is compelling and the characters are addicting.

Looten Plunder posted:

Love the direction and pacing of this season.

joepinetree posted:

Like going to your favorite restaurant

HorseRenoir posted:

Not too shabby for what I thought would be a cashgrab

achillesforever6 posted:

Just incredible TV all around

Arist posted:

It’s incredible what some of the most talented writers working today can do to make every scene as tense as possible

Jerusalem posted:

The show doesn't pretend like there are "good" and "bad" characters, people are more complex than that and do good and bad things for a variety of conscious and subconscious reasons.

Fast Luck posted:

I like the stupid dweeb who got his baseball cards stolen.

Slamhound posted:

gently caress you, Chuck. gently caress you.

3. BETTER CALL SAUL (AMC)
NON MOVER
137 points, listed 22 times, #1 spot 3 times

:toot: BEST ON AMC :toot:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah it's totally gonna be Westworld

i'm holding out hope that it's Hoarders

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh NOOO

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

Better Call Saul beating out Westworld would be a real surprise, but I certainly wouldn't be mad about it.

Beautiful timing

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Arist posted:

Oh NOOO

:getin:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Oh god now I WANT stranger things to win.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Arist posted:

Oh NOOO

We did this Arist. We did this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

Beautiful timing

Haha, this is a pretty big surprise. I liked Stranger Things but certainly not this much!

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
lol if you still have the mental capacity to be disappointed by the outcome of a vote

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

And so I stand with you friends, here at the end of all things. Only two shows remain, only one can go on to take the coveted prize of being TV IV's #1 show of 2016. It's a true David vs. Goliath struggle, the underground cult-hit Stranger Things going up against the juggernaut of Westworld. Which will prevail? Well, it's finally time to find out. Here is your #2 show of 2016...

xeria posted:

I loved the poo poo out of the first season.

nate fisher posted:

It entertained the hell out of me.

CeeJee posted:

It was all the better to experience fresh.

Andrew_1985 posted:

Tonally consistent

Fast Luck posted:

It's got a cool theme song

mancalamania posted:

Aesthetically the best show I've seen in years

Corte posted:

Blew my expectations out of the water

Not A Twat posted:

Great characters and performances, movie-like feel, awesome score

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Where do I throw my money to buy my seat on the bandwagon?

Little Mac posted:

The best TV show I watched in 2016, without hesitation.

Snak posted:

I couldn’t believe the hype. And yet when I did eventually watch this, it lived up to every bit of it.

try the new taco place posted:

All killer and no filler

2. STRANGER THINGS (NETFLIX)
NEW ENTRY
166 points, listed 28 times, #1 spot 2 times

:toot: BEST ON NETFLIX :toot:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I dug Stranger Things but am really surprised it ranked so highly. Westworld absolutely deserves the #1 spot even if it wasn't as good as last year's #1 & #2 shows.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaggitz posted:

Hello everyone who put Westworld on their list but not Person of Interest. Did you know Person of Interest was made by the same show runner? Did you know that after spending it's first season and a half worldbuilding, it dives into themes of AI, sentience and free will just as hard as WW did? It also delves into a bunch of other cool themes while pushing a pro feminist, pro lgbt, anti surveillance state message and it's pretty much my favorite show ever made.

The entire thing is on netflix and if you liked Westworld I implore you to push through(not skip) that rough start to get to one of the most thought provoking, well produced and well paced sci fi action thrillers ever made.

Yeah, try not to be that weird dude who watched it at 2x speed somehow.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Stranger Things was definitely that show a lot of people liked but wasn't the absolute favorite for most of em.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
These violent polls have violent ends.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Shneak posted:

These violent polls have violent ends.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok, my friends, that time is finally upon us, the time to celebrate TV IV's favourite show of 2016! But before we do, here's a look at the top 10 networks:

10. 10. Fox (85 points)
11. 9. ABC (106 points)
12. 8. SyFy (112 points)
13. 7. CBS (169 points)
14. 6. USA (204 points)
15. 5. AMC (215 points)
16. 4. The CW (233 points)
17. 3. FX (239 points)
18. 2. Netflix (492 points)
19. 1. HBO (550 points)

The combined weight of Westworld and Game of Thrones sees HBO surge back into its old top spot while Netflix holds on strong despite the severe drops from its Marvel content. Elsewhere the CW remains the goon's favourite mainstream network of choice and USA continues its quiet growth by adding a number of quality shows to go alongside Mr. Robot.

The title of 2016's Sharpest Clairvoyant goes to the goon who listed the most of this year's top 10 and the goon most in line with this forum is none other than... joepinetree!

Conversely, we also have a title for Biggest Hipster of 2016, for the goon who ignored the most of this year's most beloved offerings. That award goes to none other than BSam for his rather... unique list submission. Would you believe this goon didn't list a single show from this year's top 20?

But enough of that, here it is, TV IV's Favourite Show of 2016...

Andrew_1985 posted:

A brilliant concept which I want to see more of.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

An introspective sci-fi mindfuck

Zaggitz posted:

drat good TV

fancy stats posted:

Beautifully shot and acted

CeeJee posted:

Stunning in scope and execution.

Regy Rusty posted:

The story it told was extremely compelling

drainpipe posted:

This is my first "event" show, and it didn't disappoint.

Superrodan posted:

I loved the atmosphere and structure of this show

Escobarbarian posted:

In the running for best science fiction show of all time

DivisionPost posted:

Darkly funny, often brilliant, and utterly beautiful.

Arist posted:

I have a feeling that it’s going to be a very rewarding show to rewatch.

Rarity posted:

It never shied away from asking the difficult questions

Problematic Pigeon posted:

The show as a whole struck a great balance between cerebral sci-fi and pulpy goodness.

ShakeZula posted:

A very engrossing presentation of a fascinating and fully-realized world

Mukaikubo posted:

When the highs are that high, when there's that much beauty at the end, it makes up for a lot.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

1. WESTWORLD (HBO)
NEW ENTRY
240 points, listed 35 times, #1 spot 8 times

:toot: BEST ON HBO :toot:
:toot: BEST NEW SHOW :toot:
:toot: MOST LISTED SHOW :toot:
:toot: BEST DRAMA :toot:

In the end it was never even a contest. Westworld obliterated the field, holding onto a significant lead right from the start. In 2016, this was the show that you had to be watching. And that wraps it up for another year, top work everybody, see you in December!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yay! Thanks for your hard work, Rarity!

I think I prefer this list to last year's overall, especially with the superhero drops. Congratulations on having mildly better taste, goons!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

:toot: BEST WHATEVER THE HELL THIS THING IS, I DON'T EVEN KNOW :toot:[/b]

Regy Rusty posted:

Well I guess I know my requisite one top 10 show that slipped under my radar that I have to check out

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I've heard nothing but praise for Atlanta, I gotta check it out.

this whole comment chain makes me weep btw. fuckin watch Atlanta everybody

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Rarity posted:

Conversely, we also have a title for Biggest Hipster of 2016, for the goon who ignored the most of this year's most beloved offerings. That award goes to none other than BSam for his rather... unique list submission. Would you believe this goon didn't list a single show from this year's top 20?

You hear that guys? The hipster thing to do is watch comic book tv shows!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Great work Rarity (And Lick! The! Whisk!), thanks for getting it all done. As always, the best part for me is picking up on a show/s that had slipped under my radar or that I'd thought wouldn't be any good. Last year it was Mr Robot, this year I'll be checking out Person of Interest and Atlanta.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I forgot how fun the results roll out is with all the work you put into it, Rarity. Good "show" ha ha

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Thanks Rarity and everyone who contributed!

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nice! Thanks for the lists. It definitely turned me to Ash Vs Evil Dead which was a thing I didn't know exists with the bonus of it being filmed in New Zealand and having Lucy Lawless making it even more amusing.

I will look into Mr. Robot to see what the fuss is about.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Zaggitz posted:

Hello everyone who put Westworld on their list but not Person of Interest. Did you know Person of Interest was made by the same show runner? Did you know that after spending it's first season and a half worldbuilding, it dives into themes of AI, sentience and free will just as hard as WW did? It also delves into a bunch of other cool themes while pushing a pro feminist, pro lgbt, anti surveillance state message and it's pretty much my favorite show ever made.

The entire thing is on netflix and if you liked Westworld I implore you to push through(not skip) that rough start to get to one of the most thought provoking, well produced and well paced sci fi action thrillers ever made.

emptyposting this for goddamn loving emphasis

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
As someone who didn't vote, I don't feel like my needs were taken into account, now I'll bitch about for the next 10 months. Democracy!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Fine, I'm going to binge Person of Interest over the next week.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Thanks Rarity. This was really fun. I'm going to have to remember to do this again next year.

My only regret is I voted before I watched American Crime Story and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. Westworld should of never been in my top 10.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I procrastinated really badly and had to throw my list together at the last minute. Forgot some important shows completely, and my writeups were really bad. Next time I'll get started on it sooner.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Ok I'll dissent on Person of Interest. It's good for what it is, but it's more like a Marvel series than anything else. A super genius with a super computer recruits a super hero, and using these powers they solve crimes. It has some good serial storytelling beyond the case of the week, and the super heroes and their crew develop a rootable family dynamic. So it's fun, but don't expect it to challenge you or give you deep new insights on surveillance, imo. I also didn't rank Westworld either but that was more because i didn't care for Maeve's storyline whatsoever, and that was a big part of the show. Even for the rest of it, Anthony Hopkins and Ed Harris were good but there were too many jumbled plots etc. Definitely still on board for season 2 though

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Person of Interest kind of veered away eventually from being a deep dive on the pros/cons of a surveillance state in favor of focus on the nature of AI and free will, anyway (or at least as much focus as CBS would allow them with their demands to maintain the procedural format). They might have gone back to issues with mass surveillance in subsequent seasons if it hadn't been cancelled outright, with a few new main characters to join Shaw, etc., but we'll never know now!

Even with the AI-centric arc, I can understand arguments from people who wish it had dug in deeper, but I think there's enough there in the show to spark good conversation. The people I've gotten to watch the show, it's mostly been through selling them on the character dynamics and "found family" aspects, anyway.

(Tangentially - at least the 2018 air date for season 2 will give me plenty of time to catch up on Westworld!)

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

Ok I'll dissent on Person of Interest. It's good for what it is, but it's more like a Marvel series than anything else. A super genius with a super computer recruits a super hero, and using these powers they solve crimes. It has some good serial storytelling beyond the case of the week, and the super heroes and their crew develop a rootable family dynamic. So it's fun, but don't expect it to challenge you or give you deep new insights on surveillance, imo. I also didn't rank Westworld either but that was more because i didn't care for Maeve's storyline whatsoever, and that was a big part of the show. Even for the rest of it, Anthony Hopkins and Ed Harris were good but there were too many jumbled plots etc. Definitely still on board for season 2 though

The gently caress are you saying about Marvel series's?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I can't believe how poorly Man in the High Castle did. I think it's amazing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I can't believe how poorly Man in the High Castle did. I think it's amazing.

The first season was impossibly bland considering the setting (and the amazing sets/props etc) to the point I forgot it existed until I learned a few days ago that season 2 has already been and gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Person of Interest has a more robotic lead than any of the characters on Westworld that made the show pretty much unwatchable for me. Unless it's revealed during the final season he actually is a robot and his complete lack of personality and charisma is a feature and not a bug then they did a really poor job casting that role. And if lack of personality and charisma is actually a feature then the people making the show were dumb for making the lead of the show a mannequin.

• Locked thread