Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Liking Fireball is another of Jastigers Mark of the Riff Raff. It is bad. Dont drink fireball, dont be Riff Raff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jastiger posted:

Liking Fireball is another of Jastigers Mark of the Riff Raff. It is bad. Dont drink fireball, dont be Riff Raff.

liking any alcohol makes you "riff raff" in my eyes

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

spit on my clit posted:

liking any alcohol makes you "riff raff" in my eyes

I always thought riff raff was cooler than Heathcliff.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The best one was when they served professional wine tasters the cheapest white wine they could fin with red food coloring in it put in a really fancy bottle with an intricate label and the wine tasters were like "mmmm really really good red wine. The best stuff!" That might be a bit of exaggeration but I remember reading about that too. Wine tasters had absolutely no god damned clue what they were talking about. There were incidences where they would say that a white wine with food coloring added was totally a red wine, we can tell by how it tastes!

I can understand cheap wine vs. expensive wine but I refuse to believe that anyone could confuse red and white.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
The study in question involved giving college students a glass of white wine, a glass of the same wine dyed red, and a list of words commonly used to describe aromas associated with red or white wine. The participants were told to assign each word to one wine or the other. In general, they assigned words associated with red wine with the glass that had been dyed. In no way did anybody actually prove (or even attempt to prove) that wine experts can't distinguish between red and white wine.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Whites are better than reds.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Beer is better than both and "wine pairings" are bullshit (to be fair, beer pairings are as well but that is more of a niche hipster thing). Wine is never a pleasant addition to a meal in my opinion.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Beer is bad.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Give me your goddamn vodka. Good, bad, I don't give a gently caress. I will drink the poo poo out of it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Das Boo posted:

Give me your goddamn vodka. Good, bad, I don't give a gently caress. I will drink the poo poo out of it.

Vodka is awesome because the better it is the less it tastes like anything. If you can find Wheatley's Vodka drop the ~$20 on it and never look back. Tito's is also an acceptable cheap amazing vodka.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

You say that, but the bottom-shelf vodka in the Czech Republic was like $3 a liter, and you do not want it

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Someone hasnt had Hawkeye vodka

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Pick posted:

You say that, but the bottom-shelf vodka in the Czech Republic was like $3 a liter, and you do not want it

It can't be too much worse than Popov, which I find tolerable despite being under 10 dollars per 1.75L bottle. There's not much point in buying the ultra-cheap vodka unless you're homeless/destitute though since you can get legitimately good vodka for only 15-20 dollars a handle.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pick posted:

Still better than the rum-flavored spirits sitting next to it. :barf:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Still better than the rum-flavored spirits sitting next to it. :barf:

You could swear some of them were mixed with diesel, except diesel is too expensive for a filler.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I sincerely don't know poo poo about vodka other than I like it. But I know I like "bad" rum, root beer and coffee, so maybe I'm just poo poo with drinks in general. :v:

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Aramek posted:

Whites are better than reds.

The spirit of President Andrew Jackson lives on.

(Jokes aside, I agree with you. Red wine, especially the goon sack variety I drink, are horrible.)

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

veni veni veni posted:

I saw another one like that for coffee. The coffee snobs liked Folgers the best. People are full of poo poo.

But here is the thing with coffee what other coffees did they use. When were the beans roasted what grind setting were they ground on. What was the roast. How was each coffee brewed. Was it all automatic drip? There are so many variables into a good coffee I don't see how they could really do an accurate test. Not to mention that like all taste tests it all comes down to personal subjective tastes. Maybe they did like the Folgers the best out of that specific lot of coffee. That doesn't mean that there isn't a better coffee out there they would like more. That sounds real stupid.

The_Rob has a new favorite as of 21:35 on Jan 4, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

You paid a lot for earphones to be honest. 50€ (so I imagine a lot less $ because they're a Mexican brand [:smugmrgw:]) Shures are basically as good as it gets sound-wise. I'm sure they could sell them at a profit for 30$.

Yeah, that was back in college (I'm 31 now) and I haven't ever spent that much since. My $150 ones were actually Shures. Before them I hadn't ever had anything better than cheap supermarket headphones, so that's partly why I noticed such a huge difference.

Tiggum posted:

If it's dumb and knows it that's usually fine. If it's something like the Deus Ex series where it's really dumb but takes itself so, so seriously, I'm definitely skipping that.

Well, to use the example in my previous post, FFX definitely takes itself relatively seriously. I just enjoy really melodramatic situations, like the whole thing with (to use the same example) "Yuna is going on a journey to her death! Tidus is gonna disappear if he beats the Big Bad!" Unless a movie/game/whatever crosses a line and gets too hammy with it, that sort of thing is like junk food media for me.

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just can't like beer, I got a lager selection for my christmas secret santa at work, I'm not a big drinker but I'll drink almost anything, wine, cider, any spirit with a mixer, cocktails, I'll give anything a go even shots if I'm feeling a bit more out there but every single beer or lager I taste has this weirdly frothy, solid texture that I can't stomach for more than a couple of sips. I can barely drink a bottle over a night never mind several.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I think a lot of people dislike beer to start with, I know I did. For some reason once I got over the initial dislike I now crave it like mad some days.

:sludgepal:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Tattoos are gross and they all look like gangrene and I hate them.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Dr Christmas posted:

Tattoos are gross and they all look like gangrene and I hate them.

I'm personally indifferent, but I have noticed whenever the subject comes up, the reaction to even the mildest criticism of the practise is comparable to the reaction of someone openly swearing allegiance to the Third Reich.

The case is the same with criticising piercings / other body mods.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

starkebn posted:

I think a lot of people dislike beer to start with, I know I did. For some reason once I got over the initial dislike I now crave it like mad some days.

:sludgepal:

The brain damage from the alcohol targets taste processing first.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sic Semper Goon posted:

I'm personally indifferent, but I have noticed whenever the subject comes up, the reaction to even the mildest criticism of the practise is comparable to the reaction of someone openly swearing allegiance to the Third Reich.

I'm covered in tattoos and I still tell people they are a form of self mutilation. Because they are. I like the way they look, sometimes, but you're still cutting your skin open and pouring goop into it to make yourself look different.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Tattooing and piercing are either older than, or as old as, writing. Humans have been modifying our bodies in various weird ways for ever. Acting like it's some kind of moral failing that only bad people get is absurd. We've always done it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Tattooing and piercing are either older than, or as old as, writing. Humans have been modifying our bodies in various weird ways for ever. Acting like it's some kind of moral failing that only bad people get is absurd. We've always done it.

People have always been poo poo.

We have also always partaken in ritualistic cannibalism, but Jeffrey Dahmer isn't walking free.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oetzi was probably a real piece of work

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

We have also always partaken in ritualistic cannibalism, but Jeffrey Dahmer isn't walking free.

Cannibalism isn't illegal as long as you don't murder the person or steal a body or anything right? Or is it only if its a survival situation?I have no idea how it works if you have to draw lots while adrift at sea or anything though. DOubt anyone would be prosecuted for that, but you never know.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

Never denied it. We're all smelly, hairy, disgusting, selfish apes. I'm no exception.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
This thread isn't that bad.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

Cannibalism isn't illegal as long as you don't murder the person or steal a body or anything right? Or is it only if its a survival situation?I have no idea how it works if you have to draw lots while adrift at sea or anything though. DOubt anyone would be prosecuted for that, but you never know.

There's the custom of the sea, which was a non-legal set of principles followed by mariners shipwrecked or adrift, the most notorious of which involved drawing lots to see who would be killed and eaten to save his starving comrades. There's a very famous British court case called R v Dudley and Stephens which involved the latter scenario and established the precedent that necessity is no defence to murder (although based on public sympathy towards the defendants, they were shown mercy by the Home Secretary on the recommendation of the court and their sentence was commuted from death to six months in prison).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

Desecration of a corpse.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So you can't buy medical cadavers and open up the newest restaurant sensation? Lame.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think that guy who ate someone with their permission was found not guilty of anything?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Sic Semper Goon posted:

the pyf selfie thread has been dunking on a dude with a nose ring and other facial piercings for probably 2-3 years at this point and there are threads for loling at bad tattoos and the like; it isn't sooo bad out there - but there is a line between clearly critiquing the pure aesthetics of body modification and then treating them like some kind of moral failing in and of themselves, that's where you might get some strange looks...

steinrokkan posted:

... like i'm sure a proud mom getting a commemorative tat of her newborn (or a soldier of his buddy, whatever) isn't even in the same ballpark planet as luring men to your home, murdering them, having sex with their corpse, then consuming their tender flesh, even if both technically have roots in tradition

Leavemywife posted:

This thread isn't that bad.

ban this sick filth

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

I think that guy who ate someone with their permission was found not guilty of anything?

I thought they didn't end up going through with that. Like, the dude who found someone who wanted to commit suicide and be eaten on Craigslist? Or am I thinking of something else?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I was way off. He was not only charged with manslaughter successfully, but was retried and got life for murder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armin_Meiwes

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

y'all are thinking of armin meiwes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like that the wiki talks about how the guy read a star trek book for 3 hours while he waited for the other guy to bleed out. Also they were both IT guys. The gooniest murder.