Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

All dogs are welcome to GIP, them and their owners are automatic honorary members

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I'm gonna get a shelter doggo this year

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I don't think this guy could get any more comfortable.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Put a treat right in front of his nose.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

TBeats posted:

Put a treat right in front of his nose.

I love those videos but never thought to do this. Imma do it and record and post results. Problem is my dog is in the kitchen faster than I can turn around if he hears any kind of wrapper/plastic sound

Do same with Monty pls

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

http://m.imgur.com/u2BQuOP?r

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

And it was good.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
God created the dog, and saw that it was good.

Then he made man, and realised he should have quit while he was ahead.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

http://m.imgur.com/WiBLpO6?r

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.instagram.com/p/BHPdeg_jsIE/

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
So, this is Beauty. She is 5 years old. We got her from a rescue last March. She was an owner surrender, and had come from a home with six dogs in it, with her fur badly matted. We don't know more details than that, but she didn't know what to do with dog toys when we met her (except for tug ropes, she loved those). Her foster person said that several other people had been interested in her, but hadn't wanted to adopt her in the end. He also said that her biggest flaw was that when she was in a new place, she would go hide and poop in the corner.

She didn't bark for the first month or so we had her, then she started barking at everything. She slept lightly and liked to sleep in high places at the edge of the room. She whined and barked pathetically when we tried to get her to sleep in the kennel. She didn't trust children, and snapped at my younger son in particular if he tried to pet her. She refused to eat dry dog food. I switched food a few times to try to find something she would eat, and then her anal gland exploded after a month of soft poops (probably because I was an idiot and kept changing her food).

Here she is not noticing a treat for possibly the first time ever, after coming back from the vet heavily sedated:

Nine months later, she has learned to trust us and is hilariously playful and affectionate. She snaps rarely, basically only if she's accidentally startled out of a nap. When we get home at the end of the day, she dances around on her back legs with her front paws flopping in the air, and leaps at our legs until we sit down and let her jump in everyone's lap and lick everyone's face. When she is happy, which is most of the time, she rubs her head on us and makes little "mrphle" sounds almost like a cat's purr. She loves pets and ear scratches from all of us, including the kids (but she's iffy about strange kids, so we avoid them). She pounces on toys, chews them until they squeak, then tosses them up in the air to try to catch them. She eats the same dry dog food at every meal - but only if I add a spoonful or two of table food to it. Almost anything is OK - Rice Krispies, Cheerios, broccoli, bread crumbs, peas, corn, or whatever leftover meat is in the fridge. If I try to give her plain dog food she sneezes disdainfully at it and then looks at me like, "what is this bullshit?"

Despite being a Tibetan breed, she hates cold and snow. This winter has been hard for her:

When I ask her a question (like "do you need to go outside?") if the answer is yes, she jumps on my chest, sneezes at me, and puts one paw on my face.

After a couple months of trying, we gave up trying to teach her "down." During the same period, she independently learned that "who's here?" means someone is at the door and "breakfast?" means she's getting food. She learned "stand," but then stopped doing it unless you actually held a treat in your hand.

While we're away or sleeping, she gets up on the tables, moves shoes around, chews on dirty socks, and still occasionally poops in the corner. Basically she's the best dog ever.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

pookel posted:

Yo, I am about as un-military as you can get, but I've been reading this thread for months and months because DOGS. Can I join in the fun?

:justpost:

IIRC this thread was moved here because it originally started in another subforum (YOSPOS?) and got poo poo on by Cat Goons.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Rescue dogges best dogges

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Mak0rz posted:

:justpost:

IIRC this thread was moved here because it originally started in another subforum (YOSPOS?) and got poo poo on by Cat Goons.

I think I had been posting here for like 2 months before I even realized it was in the army mans subforum.

I saw a tank once. That's my army man story.

Also pet a cute doggo at the office today so things are looking up.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
http://i.imgur.com/trzpXyP.gifv

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Reminded me of this, which never gets old:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Went to a Christams Eve party last year with 2! dogs.

This is Stokes, a Shih Tzu with a very short haircut. He was very energetic and didn't care to sit still for a picture. Ran around alot and was very friendly until this guy arrived:

This is Bronco, a chocolate lab / pitbull mix. A big goofball, and a total pussy. When he showed up Stokes got territorial, every 10 minutes they would get into a staring contest and eventually Stokes would bark really loud and Bronco would turn his head away. One time after he lost he spent 5 minutes in the corner staring at the wall, afraid to look anywhere else.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

oh my loving god i'm dead

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Boyfriend's dog Davey:

He is 10 and slow-moving, but still healthy. A very good dogge. He loves children and bread.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

pookel posted:

Reminded me of this, which never gets old:

Might be a repost but

Helldump Immunity
Sep 11, 2001

pretty much rollin with the dad farm these days

pookel posted:

Boyfriend's dog Davey:

He is 10 and slow-moving, but still healthy. A very good dogge. He loves children and bread.

Chill lil pup right there

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

pookel posted:

So, this is Beauty.

A drat good dogge and a drat good story A+ would read again.

Reminds me of the lhasa opso my dad found on the freeway. She was extremely grouchy, snappy, and not a "traditional" dog in any sense. But she was awesome and we loved her--had her for almost 10 years I think

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

pookel posted:

Boyfriend's dog Davey:

Monty loves bread. I give him the end pieces of every loaf. But anytime I take the bread out of the cabinet he makes a beeline for the kitchen no matter where he is in the house and looks at me like this:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

My dog couldn't care less about bread, but it's wheat

Are you guys feeding them like wonder bread or something

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

My dog couldn't care less about bread, but it's wheat

Are you guys feeding them like wonder bread or something

I trained my uncle's dog to eat broccoli by accident because she would see me eat it all the time and decided if I liked it, it had to be good.

It's that whole "hey, the human is doing thing. if I do thing he will love me more."

We don't deserve dogges

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

A drat good dogge and a drat good story A+ would read again.

Reminds me of the lhasa opso my dad found on the freeway. She was extremely grouchy, snappy, and not a "traditional" dog in any sense. But she was awesome and we loved her--had her for almost 10 years I think
We have a theory that Beauty is part cat. She pounces on things and bats at them with her paws like a cat, and her favorite places to sit are on top of couches or on my shoulder. She also always wants to put her head on my keyboard. Sometimes she randomly goes insane and dashes around the house leaping at invisible things and barking.

Sometimes I wonder if the Tibetan monks were breeding Lhasa Apsos partly for entertainment. Monastery life seems pretty boring. Maybe having some bossy, temperamental, crazy little fluffy dogs around the place livened it up a bit.

Re: bread, Davey will eat any kind of bread but loves Papa John's breadsticks more than anything in the world. If you make bread in his house, he will loom in the kitchen doorway and breathe heavily while giving you sad eyes until you share with him. Apparently once when he was younger, he snagged a whole loaf from the counter and hid in the basement to eat it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Genocide Tendency posted:

I trained my uncle's dog to eat broccoli by accident because she would see me eat it all the time and decided if I liked it, it had to be good.

It's that whole "hey, the human is doing thing. if I do thing he will love me more."

We don't deserve dogges

My dog is very food driven but a primadonna, I'm sure I'm partially to blame. I hide his flea medicine in chunks of meat or cheese and the motherfucker will still eat around it and spit it out. The only way I can get him to eat something he doesn't like is by pretending to snatch it from him. He doesn't even like carrots and most dogs do.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

http://m.imgur.com/EzQgJ37?r

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
That dog is an experienced nonviolent protester. Go limp, it makes it harder for them to arrest you.

Does anyone live near Fargo, ND? Someone needs to adopt this beautiful boy, from the same rescue I got my girl at:

quote:

Name: Guido
Breed: Bernese Mountain Dog
Size: Extra Large 130 lbs.

*Guido needs a home with another dog - he would have a dog buddy to help him feel comfortable and confident!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

My dog is very food driven but a primadonna, I'm sure I'm partially to blame. I hide his flea medicine in chunks of meat or cheese and the motherfucker will still eat around it and spit it out. The only way I can get him to eat something he doesn't like is by pretending to snatch it from him. He doesn't even like carrots and most dogs do.

Monty has a love/hate relationship with carrots. Some day he likes em, some days he doesn't. Green apples are his favorites. He hates raspberries.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
jesus :3:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

TBeats posted:

Monty has a love/hate relationship with carrots. Some day he likes em, some days he doesn't. Green apples are his favorites. He hates raspberries.

My old retriever mix Maggie was the same way with carrots. Loved apple slices though.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

pookel posted:

That dog is an experienced nonviolent protester. Go limp, it makes it harder for them to arrest you.

Does anyone live near Fargo, ND? Someone needs to adopt this beautiful boy, from the same rescue I got my girl at:

Whats the easiest way to get this dog to southern california?

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

pookel posted:

My heart just broke because I don't have the space for a dog. I would drive to ND to go get him.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

El Jebus posted:

Whats the easiest way to get this dog to southern california?
Mine was delivered to my door in Bismarck (200 miles away) because her foster person was a college student and he was coming back to see his parents here, but you might be reaching a bit too far there.

But here, have a cool Bernese gif from a long time ago in this thread:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Let's crowdfund delivery of that pup to a gipper

Is a nice dog tho can't imagine it not getting adopted soon

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My mom spent $2000 on a sheltie from a breeder that got delivered to her house from Texas. She got it as a replacement for her other sheltie that she had for 15ish years.

I feel bad for the new dog because he stays in his cage most of the time.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I tried to convince my boyfriend that Davey would be a great dog buddy for him, but he seems to think that a 10x10 living room in a 1000-square-foot house is too small for two giant breed dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

1000 seems like plenty as long as they have some sort of yard and get exercise daily