Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
They should have kept the old nose but gone with the new bed design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I just want the Subaru Baja to be re-released

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

I just want the Subaru Baja to be re-released

Which color would you like your 120hp CVT pickup truck in?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Bright loving yellow with gray trim.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

wolrah posted:

vs.

The new one looks better from the back, but the old front end looked like a truck where the new one is clearly a minivan with a bed.

Of course minivan with a bed is exactly what most suburban pickup truck buyers actually need, but image is 90% of the reason that crowd buys a truck anyways so making it look like a minivan is the worst thing they could do.

Never did like the sail panels on the old one. The new Colorado looks a lot more car-like, too, but no where near as much as the Ridgeline. I guess there wasn't much point in a big, tough front end when it's got a compact transverse drivetrain. I do remember at marveling at how much space was in the original's engine compartment, and how far *down* the engine was.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

wolrah posted:

vs.

The new one looks better from the back, but the old front end looked like a truck where the new one is clearly a minivan with a bed.

Of course minivan with a bed is exactly what most suburban pickup truck buyers actually need, but image is 90% of the reason that crowd buys a truck anyways so making it look like a minivan is the worst thing they could do.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

thebigcow posted:

Unironically

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Those things are actually around 3 times the size of a ridgeline. It looks deceiving, but it's actually the size of a small mine truck.

That's a school bus parked beside it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Iirc they were designed from the ground up as fleet wheelchair/medical transport vehicles?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

Which color would you like your 120hp CVT pickup truck in?

thebigcow posted:

Everybody loves the little turds :colbert:

And there was a version with a stock turbo, 210hp and a 5 speed, so no early CVT for me

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Iirc they were designed from the ground up as fleet wheelchair/medical transport vehicles?

Yes, and it manages to contain the same awkward styling elements of the Ridgeline. Or vice versa.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Wow, they totally stole that design. Never noticed before.

Powershift posted:

Those things are actually around 3 times the size of a ridgeline. It looks deceiving, but it's actually the size of a small mine truck.

That's a school bus parked beside it.

They're big, but not that big. Looks more like a Suburban or Expedition beside it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Production_Group

Wheelbase – 122 inches (3,099 mm)
Length – 196.5 inches (4,991 mm)
Width – 79.4 inches (2,017 mm)
Height – 75 inches (1,905 mm)

Dodge Caravan:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Caravan#Fifth_generation_.282008.E2.80.932017.29

Wheelbase 121.2 in (3,078 mm)
Length 202.5 in (5,144 mm)
Ram Cargo Van: 202.8 in (5,151 mm)
Width 76.9 in (1,953 mm)
Ram Cargo Van: 78.7 in (1,999 mm)
Height 68.9 in (1,750 mm)
Ram Cargo Van: 69.0 in (1,753 mm)

Yep. Flat floor, ramps, etc.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Goober Peas posted:

Yes, and it manages to contain the same awkward styling elements of the Ridgeline. Or vice versa.

The MV-1 does look a little better (but not much) with larger-diameter alloy wheels and wider tires, instead of those silly poverty-spec skinny steelies with plastic hubcaps.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

A toast to the last of us, lads; we who have pulled trailers and done work with our trucks.

And one more gently caress you to Uhaul, you pussies, for not renting me a carhauler because I planned on pulling it with a half-ton truck, I've pulled 20,000 lb. loads not counting the trailer with this truck, yeah I did it at 35 with a braking distance measured in miles but I did it and a car is piddly poo poo compared to that, get bent you fucks...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

rndmnmbr posted:

A toast to the last of us, lads; we who have pulled trailers and done work with our trucks.

And one more gently caress you to Uhaul, you pussies, for not renting me a carhauler because I planned on pulling it with a half-ton truck, I've pulled 20,000 lb. loads not counting the trailer with this truck, yeah I did it at 35 with a braking distance measured in miles but I did it and a car is piddly poo poo compared to that, get bent you fucks...
Moreover, gently caress u-haul for not renting me a trailer because I drove a Ford Explorer Sport Trac. Apparently They won't let you tow with any of that generation of Firestone Scandal Explorers

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
dunno that seems pretty smart of them on both counts, and I hate uhaul.

The average idiot on the road can barely drive their own vehicle, let alone deal with either of those situations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

rndmnmbr posted:

"I knowingly and intentionally exceeded the tow rating of my truck and put other drivers at risk, clearly I have good judgement and should be allowed to do so again with someone else's property."

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Moreover, gently caress u-haul for not renting me a trailer because I drove a Ford Explorer Sport Trac. Apparently They won't let you tow with any of that generation of Firestone Scandal Explorers

Fuckers wouldn't rent me a tow dolly to tow my 2500 pound RX-7 with the wife's 4-banger '96 Sonoma. so I rented it from an equipment rental company that didn't give a drat what I pulled with what.

Also, I had no idea that those MV-1 wheelchair vans had Ford 4.6L V8s and RWD (Ford 3.7L V6, now that AMGeneral owns them.)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The particularly idiotic part is it's not all Explorers, but they simultaneously include unrelated models and ignore models that were equally affected.

The Firestone "problem" involved the first and second generation models, 1991-2001. Bridgestone/Firestone and Ford terminated their relationship in 2001.

U-Haul bans all truck-style Explorers, including the third and fourth generation models produced from 2002 through 2010 which had nothing to do with the issue, obviously including your Sport Trac. You can not tow a U-Haul trailer with a Ford Explorer unless it's one of the 2011+ models based on the Taurus chassis that's changed over from a truck to a jacked up wagon.

U-Haul does not, however, ban the Mazda Navajo, which is a badge-engineered 1991-1994 two-door Explorer. Nor the Mercury Mountaineer, which from 1997-2010 added more leather and shiny bits to a four-door Explorer. Nor the Lincoln Aviator, which took the luxing-up even further from 2005-2007. The Navajo and the 1997-2001 Mountaineer both ran the same tires as their equivalent Explorers and were equally affected.

Even if you accept the logic of banning the vehicles affected by the Ford/Firestone scandal, they've done a terrible job of it.

This idiocy has actually been on my mind recently as I'm considering buying a cheap Explorer off Craigslist as a beater truck, but half the reason to have a beater truck is to tow things so being unable to use the most common trailer rental place would kinda suck.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 5, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
So when you're filling out the forms just say you have a mercury mountaineer?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, whenever I've rented a trailer I don't think they've ever given any more than a passing glance at what I show up to tow it away with.

I feel like if someone actually managed to get someone at UHaul with half a brain to listen to the "logic" on their Explorer trailer bans, they'd just extend the ban further :v:

edit: Wolrah, a big part of the reason I bought a Grand Cherokee instead of an Explorer to replace my Ranger is the fact that UHaul wouldn't rent to Explorers.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

jamal posted:

So when you're filling out the forms just say you have a mercury mountaineer?

From what I've heard they have their employees verify what you're hooking it to. Not sure how true that is. You could probably trick them pretty easily if your vehicle is debadged, but it'd likely be hit or miss depending on how much the employee knows and/or cares.

That also might come back to bite you if something goes wrong and their insurance/lawyers get involved.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

Everybody loves the little turds :colbert:

Myself included. I'm just saying that present-day Subaru would not make nearly as good a Baja as 2001 Subaru did.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

xzzy posted:

All I can see is someone eyeballed the el Camino and came up with a way to make it horribly ugly and stupid.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Uhaul let my fiancee buy, and installed, a tow hitch for her 98 explorer in New York. Then they let her rent a trailer.

The turn signal wiring was fucky 3 days into her cross country trip, so she went into a service center to get it fixed.

They saw she had an explorer, and took the trailer back, not refunding her anything. Dumped her poo poo out into the lot, and refused any assistance. Leaving her on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere with literally her entire life in the street.

gently caress uhaul forever.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
Same, wouldn't rent a dolly for a v6 dakota to tow a 1800lb car. So instead I got a buddy and a length of tie down strap. Suits my needs.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

wolrah posted:

You can not tow a U-Haul trailer with a Ford Explorer unless it's one of the 2011+ models based on the Taurus chassis that's changed over from a truck to a jacked up wagon.

This is actually an improvement. Until recently, they would not rent to Explorer owners at all, even the new ones. At least they admitted it had nothing to do with safety, and everything to do with litigation costs

UHaul posted:

U-Haul has chosen not to rent behind this tow vehicle based on our history of excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations. This policy is not related to safety issues. This is an unusual circumstance for U-Haul – we have built our success for over 60 years by saying 'yes' to our customers. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are committed to working with our customers to find alternative options to help with their move.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Wrangler soft top = no rent
Wrangler hard top = rent

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The local uhaul place loves sending us all their fuckups. I particularly loved the nissan sentra they installed a hitch on, then rented a trailer to. The sentra was bottomed out in the back with a completely empty trailer and uhaul had completely botched the wiring job. It took a while, but I finally convinced them they needed to rent a proper box truck to move in, since that was their only vehicle. :v:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Godholio posted:

Wrangler soft top = no rent
Wrangler hard top = rent

Yeah, that's a pretty dumb rule. Par for the course with UHAUL though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Uhaul advertising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUHf6rklYCg

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Enourmo posted:

"I knowingly and intentionally exceeded the tow rating of my truck and put other drivers at risk, clearly I have good judgement and should be allowed to do so again with someone else's property."

Listen, in the top 50 list of stupid poo poo I've done that should have got me killed or arrested but didn't, that incident didn't even make the list. Don't go putting the words "good" and "judgement" next to each other when referring to me.

Besides, it's not like I was pulling this on a busy highway or through town. 30 miles of flat west Texas backroads, flashers on, following distance measured in miles too. Didn't have much of a choice that day. And they ridiculously overbuilt the rear suspension in 3rd-gen C/K series trucks anyways.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Again, "I've been dumber" isn't a real argument.

But this is the failures thread, so whatever.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Enourmo posted:

Of all the ills of society, towing above the very conservative north american towing limits is possibly the worst and I lose sleep every night at the idea that people might tow slightly above what their vehicle is rated for and the terror that will come from that.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

Bibendum posted:

Same, wouldn't rent a dolly for a v6 dakota to tow a 1800lb car. So instead I got a buddy and a length of tie down strap. Suits my needs.

They let me rent two wheel dollies and full length car trailers with a 2000 Seinna? Never had a problem.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hell, it is a great company compared to years ago. Half of the adventure of moving was renting some clapped out aluminum shitbox with failing wheel bearings and the lights would go out and they'd blame you for it.

When turning it in you had to sweep out the cargo bay so it was so clean you could do a heart transplant in the middle of a warzone. Eh, still the same.

A few weeks ago I had to rent one of their pickups. Long story, had to grab something and well during a holiday weekend and freezing rain magically I had no friends to borrow a pickup from.

So they gave me the fuel reading, 1/4 gauge on the print out. They spend 15 minutes clearing ice and snow off the drat thing. Yeah, fuel pump will last a long time running on 3/16 of ethanol laden fuel in the tank. When done I pump 2 bucks into the thing before I returned it. Gauge sat where I found it which was under 1/4 a tank. The guy was satisfied after some small talk. In retrospect I should have raised hell before I drove it off the lot.

gently caress Uhaul.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Hell, it is a great company compared to years ago. Half of the adventure of moving was renting some clapped out aluminum shitbox with failing wheel bearings and the lights would go out and they'd blame you for it.

When turning it in you had to sweep out the cargo bay so it was so clean you could do a heart transplant in the middle of a warzone. Eh, still the same.

A few weeks ago I had to rent one of their pickups. Long story, had to grab something and well during a holiday weekend and freezing rain magically I had no friends to borrow a pickup from.

So they gave me the fuel reading, 1/4 gauge on the print out. They spend 15 minutes clearing ice and snow off the drat thing. Yeah, fuel pump will last a long time running on 3/16 of ethanol laden fuel in the tank. When done I pump 2 bucks into the thing before I returned it. Gauge sat where I found it which was under 1/4 a tank. The guy was satisfied after some small talk. In retrospect I should have raised hell before I drove it off the lot.

gently caress Uhaul.

gently caress yeah.

When I moved out of my parents' house, UHaul rented me a late-70s gasoline-engined 24' GMC with a manual transmission. This was in the mid 90s. It was basically falling apart. I'd had my license for less than a year.

I picked my girlfriend up from school in it. Stopped on a huge hill in front of the school. Parked facing uphill, of course.

Empty truck stalled twice, then did a loving great burnout. Nobody was more surprised than I was.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Last time I rented from U-Haul, I made the reservation almost a month in advance. SPECIFICALLY stated I needed air conditioning (I was moving in August and don't tolerate heat well) and a 17-20 ft truck. Would also need a dolly and moving blankets. Said no problem.

I show up.. they give me a 10 ft 80s Toyota with the "AIR CONDITIONED CAB" sticker peeled off. It has an a/c button on the dash, but all it did was light up, the air coming out of the vents was still boiling hot. Of course, it's "the only truck left on the lot" (I pointed at all the other trucks, they said "oh those are all rented out too"). The odometer was stuck (around 350k), which worked out in my favor, because my dumbass didn't bother checking to make sure the dolly and blankets were back there (and when I raised hell about having to drive back to get them, and asked them to refund some of the mileage, they said nope, you shoulda checked, and how do we know you didn't already unload the dolly and blankets?). It was belching a smoke screen that would make James Bond proud, wouldn't idle, would stall if you didn't gently roll into the throttle, and as a cop pointed out to me, none of the rear lights worked.

Bingo, though a lot of them have wound up with public transit agencies that run on-call paratransit routes. DART owns a bunch of them.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

I'll admit to being that guy, though it was for work, not personal.

It's pretty amazing that just having a car license would allow me to hire one of these and legally hit the UK's twisty and narrow roads with zero training:

Bonus points for convincing the hire company to hide the repair costs in the basic hire cost, so my accountants would reimburse me for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

1500quidporsche posted:

Of all the ills of society, towing above the very conservative north american towing limits is possibly the worst and I lose sleep every night at the idea that people might tow slightly above what their vehicle is rated for and the terror that will come from that.

Cars have conservative ratings, as far as I'm aware what you see is what you get on the pickups.