Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Thanks for the game!

Thanks for the incredible job not getting lynched when subbing into the role of death!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

iajanus posted:

Thanks for the incredible job not getting lynched when subbing into the role of death!

Yeah that was a gj Fisk nicely done

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Sorry I sucked, everyone.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Sorry I sucked, everyone.

Lol not as much as me no worries

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oh well I ended up getting Slasher killed

Alls well that ends well

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Moatillata posted:

Yeah that was a gj Fisk nicely done

Has Anidav posted the link to the scumdoc yet? SSV and I were basically in awe of his ability to get out of that deathtrap.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Not yet

What the gently caress was up with that other dude? Coq? Did he say anything in scumdoc?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Nothing at all

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VtNUGVXlJ7XriLY5obuOtdZi0--Lfp0dqfD5i4eLiHk/edit?usp=sharing

scumdoc of champions

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Moatillata posted:

Lmao at Infinitum self hammering and then ninja editing

Play of the game

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Yes Infinitum

Part of the reason I found it so entertaining is bc I could see myself doing the same thing

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I am eternally grateful to scum for killing me first so I can deny any town responsibility

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990
Good job lynching your best player town :toot:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Man, you know when you try to megapost your mafia game and you're not sure how to do it?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

This was a good game with some cool mechanics. There was a serious comedy of errors for the scumteam to start with.

1) The most important scum role scumclaimed and didn't post anything more either in thread or in the doc. He then got replaced by someone who somehow managed to turn it around.

2) When we tried to abuse our anonymouse vote to finish someone off day 2, they got pardoned.

3) I'm assuming what happened to Taste D2 was that he was jailed and yet whoever did it didn't think to point out that when he was jailed, no NK happened. I guess they thought that he was the target instead of the killer?

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

SirSamVimes posted:

This was a good game with some cool mechanics. There was a serious comedy of errors for the scumteam to start with.

1) The most important scum role scumclaimed and didn't post anything more either in thread or in the doc. He then got replaced by someone who somehow managed to turn it around.

2) When we tried to abuse our anonymouse vote to finish someone off day 2, they got pardoned.

3) I'm assuming what happened to Taste D2 was that he was jailed and yet whoever did it didn't think to point out that when he was jailed, no NK happened. I guess they thought that he was the target instead of the killer?

This is correct, I thought he was he target due to the whole flavor thing

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

The last day went from "lol we have enough votes to end the game asap" to "ah gently caress it lovers-death we're 2 short again" to "hmm this is going to be interesting" to "lol thanks town for stabbing each other". A nice mini-rollercoaster.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Moatillata posted:

This is correct, I thought he was he target due to the whole flavor thing

This imo was the toughest part of the game for me, luckily the drunkposting and framing paid off

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Jonathan Fisk posted:

This imo was the toughest part of the game for me, luckily the drunkposting and framing paid off

Yeah it really threw me. Ive never seen you post like that before faux drunk or not

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I thought I would post the beta role list I made in the first version on the word document for this game to point out how I changed it over time first and foremost.

Madman – Can only speak in riddles, Each night has a vision on who will die that night. If the guess is correct, the Madman may use his dagger to instantly kill who he believes the killer was the following day.

Protagonist – Each night, may investigate in order to search for bad people. Much like a police officer. If a damsel is kidnapped; you have three days to use a one-shot SWORD in order to kill a scum. Guess correctly and the girl is saved, guess incorrectly and you surrender herodom

Mayor – Collects taxes on gold each night. If the mayor dies, the community must elect a new mayor.

Thief – Each night may select a target and steal their gold. On top of this, the thief will stab the target causing them to bleed out and pass out for the following day. Unable to post but still able to vote.

Rom Hack – A three shot ability, gives a description of a target item in the shop. If a person is targeted, gives a description of their ability.

Damsel – If voted out or nightkilled becomes kidnapped. While kidnapped you can post but not vote. Must wait for a hero to correctly save you within a 3 day time limit. If incorrectly done, damsel is killed. If 3 day time limit runs out, damsel is killed. If there are no heroes available, damsel becomes hero within 3 days.

Kart Racer – Each night can choose to commute himself or bus drive a pair of targets.

Old Man – Each night can select a target to drink with. The targets night action fails and is DRUNK the following day. If a target is drunk they can only post as such. If the target is selected twice consecutively; Target dies of alcohol poisoning.

Game Shark – If elected mayor, shuffles the affinity of the entire cast.

Shop Assistant – Each night can watch who buys what. Purchased items watched reveal the description to the assistant. If for whatever reason Nikki is disabled, become the new shop owner and can set prices for each day through PM.

Dog: Smells a target during the day. If the target killed something the dog barks. If the target didn’t kill anyone the dog is depressed for 2 days and cannot use its ability.

Glitch – Can enable and disable doublevoting via PM during the day.

Originally I was going to heavily hint that items could be used on Nikki and let the bolded part happen but I figured it would be too overpowered.

I had a lot of unused assets such as new shopkeepers that took over from Nikki if she was killed, I didn't put them through GIMP yet but I had personalities written out

Icky - High Prices, higher reward for surviving and therefore stronger items
Becky - Lowest prices, first in first serve, items sell out
Zippy - Only has the shop open for a few hours per night

I had some unused items too and as the days progress I felt like we were going into beta territory again.

Mayors got extra gold and a pardon, if MMG was elected Mayor, scumdoc would be closed and the roles of the entire playerbase would be shuffled including a new scum doc and team.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

If town and scum got together and started collecting swords and shileds then a new mode would unlock where two item collecting players could duel eachother and the person with the most votes to win the duel would win, I was hoping for a few more days but mafia always moves faster than I expect it to.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The list felt a bit more balanced when I sent the PMs out:

quote:

Anidav wrote on Dec 26, 2016 17:27:
Howdy Gaspy,

You are TOWN this round.

You are the TOWN MADMAN.

You must speak in riddles. Each night you have a vision on who will die that night. If your guess is correct, the Madman may use his dagger to instantly kill who he believes the killer was the following day as a separate guess via PM.

If your guess is incorrect, your riddles must magnify in intensity. You cannot hint at your affliction through riddles. You must act naturally.

You start with 50G

Mwah!

quote:

Anidav wrote on Dec 26, 2016 17:31:
Howdy Bif!

You are TOWN this round.

You are the TOWN PROTAGONIST!

Each night, you may investigate a person in order to search for bad people. Much like a police officer. If a damsel is kidnapped; you have three days to use a one-shot SWORD in order to kill a scum. Guess correctly and the girl is saved, guess incorrectly and you surrender herodom and become something else! You are unable to make direct references to damsels and such. Protagonists are usually quiet and don't ruin surprises until appropriate!

You start with 50G

MWAH!

quote:

Anidav wrote on Dec 26, 2016 17:35:
Howdy bowmore!

You are TOWN this round!

You are TOWN MAYOR

You collect additional 25G through taxes each night! Additionally you have a ONE SHOT pardon to PREVENT and execution as a post-hammer action.

If 40% of the current playerbase wants a NEW MAYOR this will trigger an ELECTION!

You start with 50G

MWAH!

quote:

Anidav wrote on Dec 26, 2016 17:38:
Howdy Dick!

You are TOWN this round!

You are a VILLAGER, You have no special powers unless elected otherwise!

You start with 50G

MWAH!

quote:

Anidav wrote on Dec 26, 2016 17:38:
Howdy Gulag!

You are TOWN this round!

You start with 50G

MWAH!

quote:

Anidav wrote on Dec 26, 2016 17:40:
Howdy Hiip!

You are TOWN this round!

You start with 50G

MWAH!

quote:

Anidav wrote on Dec 26, 2016 17:45:
Howdy Inf!

You are 3rd Party this time!

You are a 3rd Party ROMHACK!

A three shot ability, gives a description of a target item in the shop. If a person is targeted, gives a description of their ability.

If you correctly guess the nightkill as a night action, the killed is revived as a HACKED Villager and at that point a Mason Doc will be created.

You start with 50G!

Mwah!

quote:

Anidav wrote on Dec 26, 2016 17:47:
Howdy Kash!

You are TOWN this round!

You are the TOWN DAMSEL!

If voted out or nightkilled becomes kidnapped. While kidnapped you can post but not vote. You must wait for a hero to correctly save you within a 3 day time limit. If incorrectly done, damsel is killed. If 3 day time limit runs out, damsel is killed. If there are no heroes available, damsel becomes hero instantly and revives.

You start with 50G

MWAH!

quote:

Anidav wrote on Dec 26, 2016 17:51:
Howdy Don Papa Kommando!

Welcome back to Brisbane you clod! buckethead! fishmouth!

You are TOWN this round!

You are a TOWN KART RACER!

Each night you can choose to commute yourself or bus drive a pair of targets.

You Start with 50G!

MWAH!

quote:

Anidav wrote on Dec 26, 2016 17:54:
Howdy Moat!

You are TOWN this round!

You are TOWN OLD MAN!

Each night you can select a target to drink with. The targets' night action fails and is DRUNK the following day. If a target is drunk they can only post as such. If the target is selected twice consecutively; Target dies of alcohol poisoning.

You start with 50G

MWAH!

quote:

Anidav wrote on Dec 26, 2016 17:57:
Howdy MMG!

You are 3rd Party this round!

You are a 3rd Party GAMESHARK!

If you are elected mayor, you shuffles the affinity of the entire cast. As a night action you may send a message to any player.

You start with 50G!

MWAH!

quote:

Anidav wrote on Dec 26, 2016 18:00:
Howdy SH!

You are TOWN this round!

You are the TOWN DOG! Good BOY!

You may smell a target during the day. If the target killed something the dog barks. If the target didn’t kill anyone the dog is depressed for 2 days and cannot use its ability.

You start with 50G!

MWAH!

quote:

Anidav wrote on Dec 26, 2016 18:07:
Howdy iajanus!

You are SCUM this round!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VtNUGVXlJ7XriLY5obuOtdZi0--Lfp0dqfD5i4eLiHk/edit?usp=sharing

You are SCUM THIEF!

Each night you may select a target and steal their gold. On top of this, the thief will stab the target causing them to bleed out and pass out for the following day. Unable to post but still able to vote.

You start with 0G because you are a loving thief.

MWAH!

quote:

Anidav wrote on Dec 26, 2016 18:10:
Howdy SSV!

You are SCUM this round!

You are a SCUM shopkeeper's assistant!

Each night can watch who buys what. Purchased items watched reveal the description to the assistant. If you do not watch you may nightkill.

You start with 50G

Mwah!

quote:

Anidav wrote on Dec 26, 2016 18:19:
Howdy TwE/COQ!

You are SCUM this round!

You are the SCUM glitch!

You may enable and disable your doublevoting via PM during the day. You also have a ONE shot to disable the Shop forever but only after day 3. This move will affect all players so use it wisely!

You start with 50G!

Mwah!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

There is the item list of course but I'm not sure I want to post every item cause I love recycling some roles and ideas in future games where I will make Birdstrike a dog.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I tried to post but every time I came to look at this thread it was closed :/

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Sorry Kash :S

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990
Interesting design Anidav but I think for *reasons* in mafia games with ability progression mechanics it's virtually guaranteed that people won't act as planned for. I've run a couple of these myself and I think through human nature and randomness people end up not using/seeing half of what was designed for them.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Sorry to see a lot of design wasted there Anidav, but if you expected people to get together and sort things out like elections hoo boy

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I was hoping so...

I mean it's not too much of a puzzle. I figured a enthused town would be excited upon the multitude of discoveries...

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Anidav posted:

I was hoping so...

I mean it's not too much of a puzzle. I figured a enthused town would be excited upon the multitude of discoveries...

:laffo:

:sigh:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Mafia is an adventure!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Hahahahahaha well done scum

Sorry I hosed you over. I was about to head off on a camping trip and had always wondered what would happen if a scum just claimed on d1.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Coq au Nandos posted:

Hahahahahaha well done scum

Sorry I hosed you over. I was about to head off on a camping trip and had always wondered what would happen if a scum just claimed on d1.

Turns out it gives scum the win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

wrong thread

• Locked thread