Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

straight up brolic posted:

along those lines Carte'Are Gordon has committed to the same school that produced basketball legend Jordair Jett

Can't wait for the Lakers to draft him, and Jordair Jett, as well, draft after next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

i thought his brothers have normal form iirc and lonzo ball is like the devils son and the worst of them?

e: LaVar named them like pokemon evolutions (Lonzo, LiAngelo, LaMelo), so I'm going to take this as canon.

They all have goofy looking shots but Lonzo's is definitely the weirdest.

The middle one is the worst player. Lonzo's the worst shooter but the best overall player of the 3, but the youngest might pass him if he keeps growing.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 4, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

am I the only one who thinks that with those bizarre mechanics, Ball's 3pt shot is fools gold when it comes to the NBA level? it's just so loving weird.

I think he will be considerably worse off the dribble in the NBA because defenders are way quicker and since the release point is so low it will probably get blocked a lot. Though he's really tall for a PG so his height advantage may lessen that. I think he will be great off the ball, though. I honestly think he is the perfect PG to play with Ben Simmons in theory.

This is literally the best draft class possible for the 76ers right now, it's kind of funny. They will almost certainly be able to walk away with one of Ball/Fultz/Jackson and one of Smith/Monk/Tatum/Fox. Not that those guys are guarenteed to hit, but there is like a 0% chance they are forced to take a big they don't have minutes for.

e: WAIT I DIDN'T REALIZE ALL THE BALLS ARE RELATED

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

i thought his brothers have normal form iirc and lonzo ball is like the devils son and the worst of them?

e: LaVar named them like pokemon evolutions (Lonzo, LiAngelo, LaMelo), so I'm going to take this as canon.

Lonzo shoots from NBA 3 pt range! It wasn't very effective.

I'm rooting for Darth Malik

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

euphronius posted:

They way you all are talking it sounds like monk would fit well with Ben Simmons.

100 percent. He's best playing off the ball. If the Lakers pick conveys and it falls somewhere between 6-8 he's the guy I want.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

everything's coming up philly

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Taking Ball and asking him to play off ball with Simmons as the functional point guard seems like a tremendous waste

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

MourningView posted:

Taking Ball and asking him to play off ball with Simmons as the functional point guard seems like a tremendous waste

Yeah, he's probably the worst fit out of the top draftees to pair with Simmons considering his shot is questionable at the NBA level and he doesn't penetrate like Fultz or Smith.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Fultz and Monk is ideal, but unlikely. I think Philly finishes better than the Suns, Heat, and Nets tbh

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is this dude legit?

the internet says he's probably legit

It's so hard to judge guys with NBA length and speed against guys without it

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Fultz and Monk is ideal, but unlikely. I think Philly finishes better than the Suns, Heat, and Nets tbh

Yeah I think, especially when Simmons comes back and gets a rhythm (as much as a rookie can, really), the Sixers have a legit shot to be out of the top 3.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I dunno, I think even if Simmons is good out of the gate, putting a rookie with no minutes under his belt in charge of ball handling in the middle of the season is a formula to lose more, not less.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Rick posted:

I dunno, I think even if Simmons is good out of the gate, putting a rookie with no minutes under his belt in charge of ball handling in the middle of the season is a formula to lose more, not less.
I just think that they won't be intentionally losing like the Suns and Heat

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

The Knicks need to draft Markkanen and a lovely & gritty eastern European in the second so that there are more members of bench windsprint crew

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Rick posted:

Rodriguez and McConnell are decent ballhandlers. They'll be fine.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Rodriguez and McConnell are decent ballhandlers. They'll be fine.

This is delusional.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Rick posted:

This is delusional.

In the context of this team and having a top 5 draft pick and your pick it isn't.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

The odds of the 6ers picking 4th and 10th seems highest imo. They need another year of tanking but are better than the teams that are actively doing so for one season only, which seems to be the core flaw with multi-year tank plans

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Redgrendel2001 posted:

In the context of this team and having a top 5 draft pick and your pick it isn't.

It's not "my pick." It's the Lakers pick, and I don't make every or most posts about other teams in the context of the Lakers, and I'm certainly not going to Rivals post about the Sixers.

I'm an Arizona alumn, I love TJ, he was one of the engines behind the best teams Arizona had in recent memory, and while I was there at school. If this was some sort of personal thing I would never have a mean thing to say about him . . .but he's barely holding on at this point and Sergio was unwanted by every other team in the league (and the Sixers) for like four years, and even now I find his numbers to be highly questionable and I don't see him as being much more than the third guard that he was when he played on good (or even not so good) basketball teams.

These aren't the guys who stop a team from deciding to give its zero-minute rookie ball handling duties--even if that Rookie is Lebron James Level (see: Lebron Jame's rookie season)--from losing nearly every basketball game that they play. It's a nature of basketball thing.

Brolic has a solid point about other teams trying really hard to lose and that might make it possible for the Sixers to dig out of the bottom three. But come on. TJ McConnell and Sergio Rodriguez. Come on.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

The Knicks need to draft Markkanen and a lovely & gritty eastern European in the second so that there are more members of bench windsprint crew

way we've been playing last 10 games we've got a good shot at the number one pick

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Rick posted:

It's not "my pick." It's the Lakers pick, and I don't make every or most posts about other teams in the context of the Lakers, and I'm certainly not going to Rivals post about the Sixers.

I'm an Arizona alum

I've never gone from wanting to kiss you to wanting to hit you so quickly Rick

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah, at least 2 of those 3.

I hope Adam Silver makes jerry colangelo take over the Heat because this is embarrassing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rick posted:

Yes, especially since he will much up the spacing which is the only reason they sixers are scoring more than 85 points a game.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

Yes, especially since he will much up the spacing which is the only reason they sixers are scoring more than 85 points a game.

Oh yes, because Saric and Covington space the floor so well.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ilyasova has been the key actually

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also Saric and cov do have some gravity so I'm not sure what your comment means honestly.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

Also Saric and cov do have some gravity so I'm not sure what your comment means honestly.

Robert Covington has about as much Gravity as pluto. He's shooting .350/.290

Having a person who can create from the perimeter and draw defenders into the high post will space the floor way more than Saric and Covington do.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'd agree with you if they had guards who shoot threes. Tj McConnell can not.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

I'd agree with you if they had guards who shoot threes. Tj McConnell can not.

The 3 guards who play the most minutes are shooting a combined 38% on 10.7 attempts per game.

They also have this guy named Joel Embiid who shoots really well from 3. Illyasova is no starting and won't be affected by Ben Simmons because you're going to flush Covington's garbage minutes down the drain, not his.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So you think it's going to be what Sergio , Henderson , Simmons , ilyasova , embiid?

I'm not following you .

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

So you think it's going to be what Sergio , Henderson , Simmons , ilyasova , embiid?

I'm not following you .

No, I'm refuting your point that Simmons is going to gently caress up the spacing for the 76ers, when in fact he is going to help it.

e: and yeah, they will probably run that lineup a bunch. The point of spacing is to open things up for the Primary ball handler and allow penetration, which collapses the defense and opens up those shooters. Ben Simmons is the primary ball handler in this scenario. It doesn't so much matter that Simmons, in theory, cannot shoot in this scenario.

The real problem that inserting Simmons creates is on the defensive end, because they will have 2 guys who probably should be defending Power Forwards.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 5, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is their starting line with Simmons going to be that doesn't muck up the spacing for Embiid compared to now.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Good passing helps spacing

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Bad shooting hurts spacing tho

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Rick posted:

I'm an Arizona alumn, I love TJ, he was one of the engines behind the best teams Arizona had in recent memory, and while I was there at school. If this was some sort of personal thing I would never have a mean thing to say about him . . .but he's barely holding on at this point and Sergio was unwanted by every other team in the league (and the Sixers) for like four years, and even now I find his numbers to be highly questionable and I don't see him as being much more than the third guard that he was when he played on good (or even not so good) basketball teams.

These aren't the guys who stop a team from deciding to give its zero-minute rookie ball handling duties--even if that Rookie is Lebron James Level (see: Lebron Jame's rookie season)--from losing nearly every basketball game that they play. It's a nature of basketball thing.

Brolic has a solid point about other teams trying really hard to lose and that might make it possible for the Sixers to dig out of the bottom three. But come on. TJ McConnell and Sergio Rodriguez. Come on.

They're both good ballhandlers that can cover for Simmons if he has problems being the primary; Sergio was in Europe on his volition because of family and only came back because $9 million is $9 million. McConnell has proven to be a very solid back up; he was drat close to dropping a triple double last week. I don't think Simmons coming back is going to alter the W/L records too much.

New Draftexpress mock is up.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 5, 2017

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

lol at the Blazers taking De'Aaron Fox that would be insanely dumb

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

lol at the Blazers taking De'Aaron Fox that would be insanely dumb

I'm not 100% but at this point of the year I don't think draftexpress does the mock draft based on team needs at all

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Jota posted:

I'm not 100% but at this point of the year I don't think draftexpress does the mock draft based on team needs at all
then it shouldn't be a mock and they should just rank the prospects (I agree)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's says right in the webpage "team needs not taken into account "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Josh Jackson is loving old, holy poo poo. I hadn't realized that.

Who knows how Malik Monk will ultimately shake out in the NBA but man he is fun to watch play right now. After watching a bunch of games though I'm sold that he's going to be an incredible scorer in the NBA, I just worry about the 6'3" size.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 5, 2017

• Locked thread