Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Butch Heartman is just a parasitic organism that's another suit at the Viacom table now, isn't he? Nick supposedly has live action shows that are executives trying to turn their kids into some kind of z list celb and ill fated Harvey Beaks and Pig Goat Banana whatever, but they never last because Nick doesn't want to commit to anything. Hell, weren't they going to do some really lovely 90s toons movie or is that dead due to backlash now too?

Speaking of undead FOP, was that spaceman toon ever going to happen or did it flop as a pilot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Crabtree posted:

Hell, weren't they going to do some really lovely 90s toons movie or is that dead due to backlash now too?
I think it's been confirmed, but at this point, who the hell knows. It's a terrible idea, but you gotta stick to your guns once in a while. The only decent channel in Viacom's portfolio is Comedy Central, everything else is trash.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
They already made a live action Legends of the Hidden Temple movie, they're going to gently caress the 90s nostalgia horse till those 00 kids enter the 20s demo.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

TwoPair posted:

Danny Phantom was really good, but I think it really suffered from having Hartman's art style. It just doesn't lend itself to action.

They hired Stephen Silver to do the character designs, completely wasting his time by just making him draw in Hartman's style.

Plus it was really bad at action sequences because the design and directorial style is more suitable to a Flintstones sitcom style.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Butch Hartman just posted a video on his YouTube that reveals a sequence that was deleted from Channel Chasers back in the day, pretty interesting, wasn't expecting it to make a Three's Company reference though

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Anyone remember that show Legion of Super Heroes? I remember it being pretty good but it one of those shows that was killed by bad scheduling.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gaunab posted:

Anyone remember that show Legion of Super Heroes? I remember it being pretty good but it one of those shows that was killed by bad scheduling.

LoSH got turbofucked by the SuperBoy embargo at the time, so they called a gangly teen looking Kal-El SuperMan and just said he was like Year 0.75 SuperMan!

Then it was decided the lighthearted TeenTitanish characters and their relationships were not great for the SatAM demo, so the second season went TryHard Gritmaster with Lightning Lad losing an Arm, Triplicate Girl losing one of her doppels, a Superman from the future DNA spliced with Kryptonite (what) called Superman X, and a desire to poo poo on the team all day every day in a weird Battlestar Galactica-like underdog story.

Which is really unfortunate. The first season was a good, light version of kid's Justice League.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

FilthyImp posted:

LoSH got turbofucked by the SuperBoy embargo at the time, so they called a gangly teen looking Kal-El SuperMan and just said he was like Year 0.75 SuperMan!

Then it was decided the lighthearted TeenTitanish characters and their relationships were not great for the SatAM demo, so the second season went TryHard Gritmaster with Lightning Lad losing an Arm, Triplicate Girl losing one of her doppels, a Superman from the future DNA spliced with Kryptonite (what) called Superman X, and a desire to poo poo on the team all day every day in a weird Battlestar Galactica-like underdog story.

Which is really unfortunate. The first season was a good, light version of kid's Justice League.

So they basically recreated the history of the US comics industry into the period of 2-3 years, then?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I really liked Fairly Oddparents back when I used to watch it, but there did become a point where the premise of the show started to become a bit too ridiculous to me. Like you'd think after the first time Timmy managed to make a wish that changed the entire universe somehow the fairy council would be like "maybe we shouldn't give children this kind of power"

edit: There also became a point where I started to side a little bit with Crocker

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That's what happened to me with Spongebob. Spongebob and Patrick were a curse upon Bikini Bottom, and after noticing Squidward referencing suicide, it's hard to stop sympathizing with him instead.

FilthyImp posted:

I thought the original plan was to use Supergirl instead of Superman, and have the series pick off from Justice League Unlimited as another extension of the DCAU, but that got changed at the last minute for dumb reasons,

Not that I see any meaningful difference between Superboy and young Superman anyways.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Macaluso posted:

I really liked Fairly Oddparents back when I used to watch it, but there did become a point where the premise of the show started to become a bit too ridiculous to me. Like you'd think after the first time Timmy managed to make a wish that changed the entire universe somehow the fairy council would be like "maybe we shouldn't give children this kind of power"

edit: There also became a point where I started to side a little bit with Crocker

Fairly Oddparents is impressive because they've jumped the shark by adding a new main character three different times and they're still on the air.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Fairly Oddparents is impressive because they've jumped the shark by adding a new main character three different times and they're still on the air.

Okay there was the baby (which is when I tuned out), apparently they added a kid that shared the godparents and who is the third?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The third was actually the second. They added a magic talking dog to be Timmy's pet.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

The third was actually the second. They added a magic talking dog to be Timmy's pet.

I remember the dog basically being Poochie.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool

SlothfulCobra posted:

That's what happened to me with Spongebob. Spongebob and Patrick were a curse upon Bikini Bottom, and after noticing Squidward referencing suicide, it's hard to stop sympathizing with him instead.

I thought the original plan was to use Supergirl instead of Superman, and have the series pick off from Justice League Unlimited as another extension of the DCAU, but that got changed at the last minute for dumb reasons,

Not that I see any meaningful difference between Superboy and young Superman anyways.

that was never on the table, it was just an assumption people made based on how the JLU episode turned out.

also the name change from "Superboy" to "Superman" affected nothing except what they called him and had zero influence on the plot, so it wasn't even remotely "turbofucked". I can't even imagine how it would be, since Clark still has his coming of age stuff throughout season 1 and they still have him brush against stuff from his future pretty consistently.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 5, 2017

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
If FOP were smart they'd flash forward 10 years and make the baby the main character. Same setup but now from the perspective of the wish-giver rather than the wish-maker. It would still keep all the elements people liked from the original (Timmy and co. could still be hanging out in the background) while making things new and interesting again.

I'd watch it anyways...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TFRazorsaw posted:

also the name change from "Superboy" to "Superman" affected nothing except what they called him and had zero influence on the plot, so it wasn't even remotely "turbofucked".
The biggest problem it caused was a group of teenish heroes rallying around a SuperMan that was, at best, 17-19. And who was really drawn to look like he was 13. Brainiac 5 was like some 9 year old wunderkind, but LL and SG were probably the eldest.

Which gave it this weird incongruity of "Wow guys, it's the actual Superman! The one from all the amazing exploits and tales who sets the standard we all aspire to. Except he's like kind of new at this. But not. So we have to be both his friends and mentees? So we can teach him to be a great hero, but he already maybe kind of is?"

Hell, you mention it yourself here:

quote:

I can't even imagine how it would be, since Clark still has his coming of age stuff throughout season 1 and they still have him brush against stuff from his future pretty consistently.
Logically that's poo poo Superboy would face, and would inform his maturation into a good hero.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I can't believe FOP is still running. Apparently new episodes are getting shunted to Nicktoons and the budget is so cheap that they're animating with Flash/ToonBoom now.

I've always been baffled by FOP's success because it's always been a really bad show with ugly character designs, unlikable characters, and grating voice acting. I thought that maybe the show had just fallen off in later seasons but NOPE the first seasons were also bad

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Looking at the Wiki, apparently the dog only lasted a single season because everyone thought he was terrible :lol:

I wonder if they explained him not being there or just pretended like it never happened.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I remember liking FOP when I was a kid, and I think it might have been because it was my first taste of that relentlessly cynical style of humor that ended up getting beaten to death by 2000's cartoons. I haven't watched it in years so I don't know if the early seasons still hold up through adult eyes.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Honestly FOP, while having it's moments, was a pretty shrill and hyper show even at the best of times.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

HorseRenoir posted:

I can't believe FOP is still running. Apparently new episodes are getting shunted to Nicktoons and the budget is so cheap that they're animating with Flash/ToonBoom now.

I've always been baffled by FOP's success because it's always been a really bad show with ugly character designs, unlikable characters, and grating voice acting. I thought that maybe the show had just fallen off in later seasons but NOPE the first seasons were also bad

Is it even really success or popularity if it keeps getting shunted like that (running for 10 seasons aside)? The only reason why I know that show is apparently not dead is because of this thread. It's the kind of show that leaves virtually no cultural impact despite being on air for almost 20 years.

mycot fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 5, 2017

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
There's a song called Timmy Turner so there's at least some cultural impact.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I think a lot of 2000's cartoons took cues from FOP. So you can blame them for that decade being a wasteland of mainstream Western animation (aside from Avatar: The Last Airbender)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I thought the show was occasionally funny (the gag about "Icky Vicky" being referenced in future episodes by people wondering why its existence didn't tip Timmy's parents off to the fact that Vicky was evil was pretty good) but Timmy kept learning lessons that didn't stick past the end of the episode and remained an intolerable, selfish jerk.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Reminder FOP had male prego. That's where the baby came from.

Also maybe they keep introducing new side main characters so Tara Strong has less lines and therefore they have to spend less money. Maybe?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'd say Fairly Odd Parents was pretty good, it just wasn't on air getting new episodes 'til the end of time good. Everything decays with time. The series had its moments, but it wasn't a timeless classic or anything; it was just a cartoon that worked and should have been disposable, but for some reason...wasn't. Some executive just decided to keep it around forever at some point. You look at the list of Nickelodeon's shows, and they just start getting fewer and worse and more forgettable over time. The last show of theirs that I liked was Penguins of Madagascar, and that was an island in a horrible swamp.

I'd say, take the awful, awful live-action movie starring Drake Bell as grown-up manchild Timmy, and then end the series about 5 years earlier.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

If nothing else, we got some good-rear end songs out of it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always kinda like Danny Phantom's Ember's signature song Remember. Said a lot of interesting things without her backstory being made explicit. It just mentions that basically she had met someone in September who she fell in love with, but at some point he went 2 weeks without contacting her at all. Then, three months later, "Like cold December, nothing but ashes remain". Whether it was accident or suicide it implies interesting things about why she is obsessed with never being forgotten again. I also like the hair made of a crematorium pyre, it's a cool effect.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

FOP is one of those shows that I love because I get to pull out stupid/great "why Timmy is evil" theories and the show has jumped the shark so much you can provide all sorts of evidence.

Why is does Timmy have to share his fairies? Because there's a too many miserable children and not enough fairies. That's literally the explanation they give. And most kids don't last more than a year before accidentally exposing fairies. None of them are as desperate for affection and power than Timmy Turner.

And you can prove why that's bad thanks to that time he wished no one would age or progress, which actually happened.

Nerdietalk fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 6, 2017

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I imagine Fairy Odd Parents is akin to GI Joe or OG Transformers for a younger generation. It was what children crave, but once your older may lord have mercy for your soul.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

At least Spongebob is still a recognizable character and TV show. Does anyone still give a poo poo about Fairly Oddparents?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

nerdman42 posted:

FOP is one of those shows that I love because I get to pull out stupid/great "why Timmy is evil" theories and the show has jumped the shark so much you can provide all sorts of evidence.

Why is does Timmy have to share his fairies? Because there's a too many miserable children and not enough fairies. That's literally the explanation they give. And most kids don't last more than a year before accidentally exposing fairies. None of them are as desperate for affection and power than Timmy Turner.

And you can prove why that's bad thanks to that time he wished no one would age or progress, which actually happened.

Heck it's worse than that, they all but say that most kids lose them within a week or so of getting them, which combined with all memories and evidence of them having Fairies being erased when they lose them makes the system kinda pointless when you apply any actual logic to the scenario(similar issue exists in Kids Next Door with the concept of Decommissioning, which only ever causes problems for the KND over the course of the show and is never once actually shown to have any actual benefit to the organization)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
KND turned out to have this crazy involved mythology though so that was pretty cool.

Am I insane or was Cozmo's voice a whole lot less grating and more suave lounge-singer like in the FOP pilot?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Didn't one of the live action movies end with Timmy dying and turning into a fairy?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

KND turned out to have this crazy involved mythology though so that was pretty cool.

Am I insane or was Cozmo's voice a whole lot less grating and more suave lounge-singer like in the FOP pilot?

Eh I felt the lore got kinda mishandled and poorly explained in the end, especially in the final season(and I'll always dislike the movie for how much it dropped the ball on the Father vs Grandfather fight)

Yeah Cosmo had a much more suave voice in the pilot season

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So much of KND was parodies though, at some point I wonder if I actually enjoyed the cartoon itself or just the works it was copying.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

KND had an entire episode that parodied a segment from The Animatrix, which is kind of a deep cut.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

nerdman42 posted:

Every time I think this show's jumped the shark, I find someting new and ridiculous about it. At this point I think its just seeing how many backflips it can string together before the shark gets bored and swims away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

nerdman42 posted:

I haven't seen this special but this sounds like a really clever way to explain fifty seasons of if a show where no one ages a day or grows in any discernible way. In better hands this could serve as an absolutely mind blowing series finale that makes you see the protagonist in a completely different light.