Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BSam
Nov 24, 2012

he was alright in Tropic Thunder, but he was basically 'the other guy' in that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

anti-magic posted:

I have seen this sentiment pop up a few times and don't quite understand it. Has he typically been a bad actor in other things or just an obnoxious person? Outside of Man Seeking Woman I cannot remember seeing him in anything.
He's a less annoying DJ Qualls

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

STAC Goat posted:

How'd South Park hold up over the years? I haven't watched it in at least a decade and I just signed up for some Hulu and notice they've got it. I probably won't bother since there's a bunch of other shows for me to binge before I cancel in a month or two but is it worth even putting on my watchlist? Hell, forget "hold up", was any of it any good? I haven't watched it since I was a douchey drunk kid who would embarrass current me so I have no idea if it was ever good.

Sure, there's still some great episodes from the past for sure. I expect the ones that were based around whatever was happening that week that has long been forgotten suffer, but there's plenty that don't.

If you want to know how the 3 most recent seasons went:

Season from 2 years ago: started messing around with continuity elements and it was really cool, and gave us some amazing episodes that were the best in years. If it wasn't for the meh Pewdiepie double episode at the end, it might've been my all time favorite season. That episode made sense, it just wasn't that funny.

Season from last year: went balls in with continuity and everything fell into place, and for the most part really worked and was funny. The end was a little dud, but overall it was fresh and a solid idea.

This year: they tried the same thing but doing it around the election, and it was a massive loving mistake that started falling apart and never recovered. It even felt like it lost most of the people who were really liking it to start with. A real shame, and probably one of the worst (if not the worst) season they've done.

So overall: still good with one blip, should recover though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So due to chat in the annual pole thread, I've started Person of Interest.

It has some promise, but this whole "constantly shooting people in the leg because killing is bad" thing really rubs me the wrong way. Jesus shoots like 10 people in the thigh in the fist episode.

Including one scene where he walks into a room with 6 armed people who are pointing guns at him and shoots them all in the legs real quick before any of them get a shot off. It's one of the dumbest tv action scenes I've ever seen. It would fit much better in a comedy rather than a story about a grieving former black ops killer trying to make it in a post-9/11 world.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's less that killing is bad than it is killing means clean-up time.

But yeah he does that constantly through the whole series.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's really annoying. I can probably get used to it, though. Lord knows I've watched a bunch of shows where blunt force trauma to the head is used for the same effect. That's an industry thing, after all.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Snak posted:

That's really annoying. I can probably get used to it, though. Lord knows I've watched a bunch of shows where blunt force trauma to the head is used for the same effect. That's an industry thing, after all.

It's becomes a point of note in the series, one they bring up occasionally. It's definitely not treated like the standard vigilante M.O.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean I mostly dislike it as a narrative tool. The idea that non-lethal violence is equally as effective as lethal violence, and that you can just choose not to kill people is loving dumb. The implication that violence is a perfectly valid problem solving tool for good guys, but bad guys choose to kill people during its application is just garbage. It's wanting to have your cake and eat it too: glorifying "action" by implying that you can shoot a room full of people, but that killing them is optional. None of them will sustain fatal wounds without the intent to inflict them.

This sort of thing is passable in lighthearted comedies. In any serious drama, it feels stupidly out of place.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Batman brutally assaults everyone.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

Batman brutally assaults everyone.

Yeah, it's my least favorite aspect of Batman. The idea that he can win with violence but is above killing. I prefer the outsmarting and detective aspects of batman much more than guy who drops people off buildings and punches them in the head with gauntlets but lives in a world where these things are always non-fatal.

Super heroes like Batman and Daredevil live in worlds where you can solve all your problems with violence but killing is always an extra, elective choice. Where everyone has the power to apply enough violence to solve a problem, but if they are bad they will choose to kill in addition to solving the problem. This is so far removed from how violence works that it comes off as a hugely juvenile fantasy about "what if I was super violent all the time but also had the moral high ground in its application ".

Edit: Person of Interest doesn't seem to really fall into this as badly as the first episode seemed like it would, though.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
this is fascinating

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That Westworld sum seems way too low.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

That Westworld sum seems way too low.

Well "main cast" is kind of vague. I've no doubt Anthony Hopkins got more than that. Ed Harris and Thandie Newton probably did as well. Probably James Marsden too. But for everyone else? That number doesn't really seem low.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Snak posted:

Well "main cast" is kind of vague. I've no doubt Anthony Hopkins got more than that. Ed Harris and Thandie Newton probably did as well. Probably James Marsden too. But for everyone else? That number doesn't really seem low.

Rachel Evan Wood's the first billed cast member, so she probably should be making the most after Harris and Hopkins. Also, she, Thandie Newton, Jeffrey Wright and James Marsden are billed in a special part of the credits before the rest of the cast, who are then listed alphabetically. Presumably this table's only talking about the third tier cast members?

That, or maybe it works out to be a per episode sum when you include the extensive reshoots the show apparently experienced thanks to the various delays and recastings?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I hope Thandie Newton got paid some extra for having to do half her scenes nearly fully nude.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

I hope Thandie Newton got paid some extra for having to do half her scenes nearly fully nude.

She's easily the fourth biggest name in the show.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kiefer and Micheal Weatherly are getting paid for their new shows :homebrew:

lol that list not having Robin Wright especially after she complained that Kevin Spacey was making more money than she was and got a pay raise to the same amount

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Reese doesn't have a hard no kill rule. He just dislikes doing it and will avoid it until it's necessary. But when it's necessary that fucker will shoot for the head without hesitation.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zaggitz posted:

Reese doesn't have a hard no kill rule. He just dislikes doing it and will avoid it until it's necessary. But when it's necessary that fucker will shoot for the head without hesitation.

Unless Finch starts to cry. Then he won't kill.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Is Prison Break coming back? Why is that listed?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
It is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9T-9fZn_oA

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Great, but why?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I can tell that it's a slow start, but the first 3 episodes of Person of Interest have been aggressively boring. Without trying to sound like a snobby dick, when does it get good? I'm used to shows that have bad starts before getting good, so I'm still keeping an open mind, but I kind of want to know how much more of this I'm in for...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You watch a lot of poo poo Snak, you can deal with it for a while.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It gets good from episode one

... but okay episode 4 is the first hint of how special it is and episode 7 is when it starts really showing it. From there on it's great.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's like episode 7 and then episode 13 or whatever but I really don't think it improves to the degree people here will tell you so

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

You watch a lot of poo poo Snak, you can deal with it for a while.

That's true, but it's part of why these plots feel like the most generic poo poo. I've seen them in no less than 3 other shows.

Also I'm watching this sober, which has not been the case for a lot of the really bad poo poo I have watched.

But I will keep watching.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I didn't have the patience to deal with PoI going from OK to legitimately good. Maybe one day.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Was she actually naked for all of those scenes or was it a body double? Some of her scenes were definitely shot in such a way to make it easy to fake.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Personally, I think you're fine skipping a lot of season 1 of PoI. It's so procedural that I jumped in somewhere around the end of Season 1 and never felt like I missed anything. There's a few connections and bits of backstory, so go ahead and watch the few with big serial plot points, but if it's boring you I'd go ahead and skip around.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
If only my neurosis allowed me to skip parts of shows.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Episodes 4 and 7 are what start to kick things off on the "Hi, we aren't really a procedural" train. Takes a minute to get up to speed, but there you are.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

eps 4, 7, 9, 10 and 13 all set up the ground work for poo poo that will explode in the last five episodes of S1 and sets up a world where there are enough factions at play that every ep will feature movement on one of them as they try to do poo poo or gently caress with one another.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

muscles like this! posted:

Was she actually naked for all of those scenes or was it a body double? Some of her scenes were definitely shot in such a way to make it easy to fake.

She's said in interviews that she and Evan Rachel Ward did their own nude scenes.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Snak posted:

I can tell that it's a slow start, but the first 3 episodes of Person of Interest have been aggressively boring. Without trying to sound like a snobby dick, when does it get good? I'm used to shows that have bad starts before getting good, so I'm still keeping an open mind, but I kind of want to know how much more of this I'm in for...

Season 2 episode 16.

More accurately it shows glimpses of promise in the episodes listed, it's much improved in the first half of season 2, and the second half of season 2 is when it's really good...but a lot of people never quite gel with its tone (hi) and stick around for the ideas/great episodes.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

This year: they tried the same thing but doing it around the election, and it was a massive loving mistake that started falling apart and never recovered. It even felt like it lost most of the people who were really liking it to start with. A real shame, and probably one of the worst (if not the worst) season they've done.
Then I'm going to have to ask my friend what her final verdict of it was, because when it started out she kept saying how hilarious it was. Also, wasn't quitting Twitter a big part of the story arc?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

I can tell that it's a slow start, but the first 3 episodes of Person of Interest have been aggressively boring. Without trying to sound like a snobby dick, when does it get good?

2x01.

http://personofinterest.wikia.com/wiki/Bear

e: the more appropriate question is "when does it get bad?" really.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

get that OUT of my face posted:

Then I'm going to have to ask my friend what her final verdict of it was, because when it started out she kept saying how hilarious it was. Also, wasn't quitting Twitter a big part of the story arc?

Yeah it intertwined trolling, social media, and politics. Given last seasons was about safe spaces and similar stuff for a lot of the time, it didn't feel different enough for me personally. There were some good gags as usual, but watching any of those episodes out of context in syndication is going to make absolutely no sense to anyone whose not seen the season.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Because TVIV voted Better Call Saul so highly, I just wanted to ask if it's really necessary to watch Breaking Bad to know what the gently caress is happening on it? There's just so much to catch up on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Pan Dulce posted:

Because TVIV voted Better Call Saul so highly, I just wanted to ask if it's really necessary to watch Breaking Bad to know what the gently caress is happening on it? There's just so much to catch up on...

It's a prequel.

• Locked thread