Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Steam games run on whatever physical platforms you have available if the developers enabled compatibility at no extra charge. (PC, Mac, and Steambox). Phone games run on both your iPad and your iPhone, or your Android and Android tablet respectably, free of charge. And they run on all future platforms you ever buy, no matter how different the phone, tablet or computer are.

Buying VC games for eternity, even for a small upgrade fee, is scroogy. I don't believe you're paying for the time to code emulation, 4 generations into Nintendo's effort to port old games to newer platforms (starting with the Gamecube), you are paying for their staunch position that their brand is always worth money and they aren't going to waive any fee they could possibly charge you for.

Spellman fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

That mode seemed more like classic mario party than the "everybody in a car" main mode.

It was, but it was also a poor facsimile of one. Like a tiny board with the same layout as Monopoly. It was legitimately lamer than the car mode.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Spellman posted:

Phone games run on both your iPad and your iPhone, or your Android and Android tablet respectably, free of charge. And they run on all future platforms you ever buy, no matter how different the phone, tablet or computer are.

Nope. There are phone games that don't run on newer versions of the os' if the devs don't update. The world ends with you on ios was straight up removed from the app store awhile ago, I don't know if they've released a fixed version for more recent ios released or if squeenix doesn't give a gently caress.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Party Meiser posted:

Nope. There are phone games that don't run on newer versions of the os' if the devs don't update. The world ends with you on ios was straight up removed from the app store awhile ago, I don't know if they've released a fixed version for more recent ios released or if squeenix doesn't give a gently caress.

It's true that if a developer chooses not to update a certain app for a modern platform, it won't run, but they won't charge you again to upgrade. You own the software by virtue of having purchased it on the App Store

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Continually rewriting emulators from scratch for every new console you do is far more difficult and expensive than making sure your Unity game runs OK on Linux. Still blows my mind that they managed SNES emulation on Nu3DS.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Party Meiser posted:

Yeah this is very true too. There have been a few "expensive" phone games that this happened to a few of them were fixed eventually but a lot of them were just straight up removed with no hope of fixing them.

Its kinda bullshit but then again I have no idea how much actual work it is to update these drat things.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah this is very true too. There have been a few "expensive" phone games that this happened to a few of them were fixed eventually but a lot of them were just straight up removed with no hope of fixing them.

Its kinda bullshit but then again I have no idea how much actual work it is to update these drat things.

Probably the same kind of work that goes into getting old PC games working in modern OS's; The hardware is (fundamentally) the same, but the way system calls are made or how values are used can change wildly between OS versions simply because the new one may be geometrically more efficient. Old game's stuck expecting those specific old calls to work and thus breaks.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Spellman posted:

It's true that if a developer chooses not to update a certain app for a modern platform, it won't run, but they won't charge you again to upgrade. You own the software by virtue of having purchased it on the App Store

You own a license. Not the software itself.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Party Meiser posted:

It was back up within a few months.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
How does compensation for the developers work?

If I buy Earthbound several times who gets the money?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

jivjov posted:

You own a license. Not the software itself.

Aren't licenses mainly concerned with your legal right to change or copy the thing you bought? Depening on your definition of "ownership", you probably own both and neither.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

hadji murad posted:

How does compensation for the developers work?

If I buy Earthbound several times who gets the money?

The money gets evenly divided between Ness/Paula/Jeff/Poo

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

The money gets evenly divided between Ness/Paula/Jeff/Poo

No the money goes to his dad and you have to get it out of the ATM.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

VideoGames can you close the thread again.

Or someone post the PR.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

This thread will never be closed again as ordered by the imperial senate.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

This thread will never be closed again as ordered by the imperial senate.

Jar-Jar Binks strikes again

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Here's this week's NA release:

quote:

Wii U Download

Cup Critters – $1.49
Spheroids – $7.99
Zombie Brigade: No Brain No Gain – $4.99

Wii U Virtual Console

Pokemon Snap – $9.99

3DS Download

Quiet, Please! – $2.99

eShop Sales

Great deals this week include Nano Assault EX, Midnight 2 and Soccer Up Online, plus several more! Check out the full list of deals on digital games for the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U systems available this week at http://www.nintendo.com/games/sales-and-deals.

Activities

Kirby and Yoshi Join My Nintendo’s Rewards Lineup – My Nintendo is kicking off the New Year with discount rewards on select digital games featuring Kirby and Yoshi. Fans can redeem My Nintendo points for discounts on the following digital games at https://my.nintendo.com:

Kirby’s Epic Yarn (Wii U)
Dedede’s Drum Dash Deluxe (Nintendo 3DS)
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror (Wii U)
Yoshi’s Woolly World (Wii U)
Yoshi (Wii U and Nintendo 3DS)

Get a New Nintendo 3DS or Nintendo 2DS System During the Holidays? – You already know your new Nintendo system plays awesome games, but here are a few more ways to make the most out of your new system. Visit http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/get-started to learn more.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Dr Cheeto posted:

Still blows my mind that they managed SNES emulation on Nu3DS.

Really? They had it for Ambassador Program members on the OG 3DS and even the original DS could pull it off with the SuperCard DS2's little co-processor.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Really? They had it for Ambassador Program members on the OG 3DS and even the original DS could pull it off with the SuperCard DS2's little co-processor.

The Ambassador games were GBA titles, and they never worked as well as other Virtual Console releases

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

VideoGames can you close the thread again.

Or someone post the PR.

Wii U:

Pokémon Snap
A Bunch of poo poo

3DS:
A Bunch of poo poo

Sales:
They're bad

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

deadwing posted:

Wii U:

A Bunch of poo poo

3DS:
A Bunch of poo poo

Sales:
They're bad
Is this too long to be the thread title?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

jivjov posted:

The Ambassador games were GBA titles, and they never worked as well as other Virtual Console releases

I could have sworn there was a SNES title or two in there too, but I ended up selling my ambassador 3DS between jobs to pay some bills so I could be wrong. Point still stands about the DS with the SuperCard, I sincerely doubt the normal 3DS is less powerful than that.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

deadwing posted:

Sales:
They're bad

Excuse me, I think you'll find that B3 Game Expo For Bees is on sale

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I could have sworn there was a SNES title or two in there too, but I ended up selling my ambassador 3DS between jobs to pay some bills so I could be wrong. Point still stands about the DS with the SuperCard, I sincerely doubt the normal 3DS is less powerful than that.

It was 10 GBA titles, and some people cobbled together some homebrew SNES emulation on the OG3DS and it wasn't great. It was functional, in the old school "well sprites are flickering and I'm getting weird slowdown and this emulator just doesn't work with a halfdozen games" way.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

jivjov posted:

It was 10 GBA titles, and some people cobbled together some homebrew SNES emulation on the OG3DS and it wasn't great. It was functional, in the old school "well sprites are flickering and I'm getting weird slowdown and this emulator just doesn't work with a halfdozen games" way.

I never really had much trouble with the SuperCard emulation. I obviously didn't try every single SNES game on it, but I only had the occasional bit of slowdown during stuff like heavy use of mode 7. I assume anything using a SuperFX chip would be bad, but that wouldn't really be exclusive to the SuperCard's emulator.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

One of the GBA games was the GBA port of Yoshi's Island on SNES, maybe that's how you got confused.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nope, the closest is a few cosmetic skins in Mario Kart and Yoshi's Woolly World. Nothing major gameplay-wise that absolutely requires you to bring in a matching amiibo.

I mean...theoretically that poster could be looking to get into Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival...

Sorry, I couldn't say that with a straight face.

Mario Party 10 also has some more significant Amiibo content, but you shouldn't get Mario Party 10.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Spellman posted:

Phone games run on both your iPad and your iPhone, or your Android and Android tablet respectably, free of charge. And they run on all future platforms you ever buy, no matter how different the phone, tablet or computer are.

A lot of apps are limited to downloads on three devices ever before you have to repurchase them, though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

codenameFANGIO posted:

Is someone going to tell me what games are on sale or what here???

I'm done updating this thread. Ask Jivjov nicely and he might make a new one.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That is a huge bummer, dude.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

end of an era

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Please make one in the imp zone and I'll keep it troll free

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Please people. Report the trolls in Nintendo threads. I don't like seeing good thread ideas go down the pan.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sad to see you go :( this was always my go-to for the eshop release news.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

How feasible is it to play Tokyo Mirage Sessions on the gamepad alone? Does it do any weird dual-screen stuff that I'd be missing out on?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't think it's possible at all, there's no off tv option from what I can remember.

It doesn't even have game audio coming out of the gamepad which bugged me

e: it's a great game though!

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 6, 2017

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Sarchasm posted:

How feasible is it to play Tokyo Mirage Sessions on the gamepad alone? Does it do any weird dual-screen stuff that I'd be missing out on?

You literally can't. It's still totally worth playing, but you must have a TV for it.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Maaaaaaaaaaan that's dumb.

Thanks for the responses.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

anatomi posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but are there any Wii U games that have substantial Amiibo-locked content? Looking into buying a used console, want to know if I should be hunting for those stupid figurines as well.
It's not out yet but I think the most substantial amiibo unlocked content is the Wolf Link companion in Breath of the Wild.
If you complete the bonus dungeon added to TPHD you can save the amount of hearts you had remaining to the Wolf Link amiibo, scan it into BotW and Wolf Link will accompany you with the same amount of hearts. (you can still do this with a blank Wolf Link amiibo but he'll only have 3 hearts)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I hope we get an updated version of Tokyo Mirage Sessions for the Switch. It was an amazing game that was held back by dumb design/technical issues.

I'm not sure what it was that broke me. The noticeable delay whenever you opened the menu (which you needed to do a lot), having to run down a long rear end corridor every time you wanted to switch/create weapons for your mirage, or having to look at the same stupid animation every time you forged a new weapon.

That game loved to waste your time.