Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Warbird posted:

I played Gorn last night. You should REALLY play Gorn if you haven't already, holy poo poo. Never has using your fists to pummel a large (mostly)naked man to death been so much fun. The spear's a hoot once you get good at it, but the warhammer is a bit rear end. Arrows are ok, but are a bit of a pain to use.

The best weapon in Gorn is your enemies. Unless there's a version that fixed this, you can pick them up and sling them around like any other object. Just go full Hulk and use them to bat each other out of the arena.

It can get boring pretty fast because it makes the difficulty trivial but you can always opt to not do it if you want more challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I think he was polishing it up more before putting it on Steam, but I can't check right now because our sysadmins are killjoys.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Good news guys. 4K 120hz.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Get it wireless and we'll talk.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Feh, that's for plebians. 10K at 120hz.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

VR pereipherals are DOA for gaming I'd think. I can see the use in training or installations but who's going to buy trackers, a game that needs the trackers, and then whatever the trackers need to be attached to? The only games for the console peripherals were the ones that the hardware makers subsidized, but nobody's coming to your aid in this space. Whatever we see might inform gen 2 though.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I finally found something that makes me nauseous in VR: Adr1ft. So far there doesn't seem too much to do in it anyway, other than suckle on oxygen cans. It really feels like it should have touch controller support.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Played some more Unspoken today. Got matches exceedingly quickly, but only ever against the same person who I handily beat in 5 matches and losing only two rounds, both times because I fumbled on the dispelling censer. Hadn't seen Blackjack before, kinda annoyed that they seemed to use Blackjack's shield ability as a shield instead of information mindgames but they did only ever beat me because of tentacles from the ground instead of anything requiring accuracy, so that says a lot about their skill. Can I just burn the tentacles instead, and do I need to use a fully charged shot to do it?

Also, I've noticed that Lemming is #1 on that game's leaderboards while I'm now 1483rd after about 8 games. Since the game is so easy to pick up compared to fighting games, I really hope that after I work my way up the board I start running into competent people that make for fun opponents, then I'll probably start learning the different characters. How long did it take you to get there Lemming?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

ApathyGifted posted:

The best weapon in Gorn is your enemies. Unless there's a version that fixed this, you can pick them up and sling them around like any other object. Just go full Hulk and use them to bat each other out of the arena.

It can get boring pretty fast because it makes the difficulty trivial but you can always opt to not do it if you want more challenge.

I love playing this game "seriously", aiming swings and parrying weapons, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't fun to pin an enemy down and beat them to a bloodied pulp without worry of retaliation.

Just had a VR party, showed all my friends Superhot and Gorn and they absolutely fell in love with it. It was amazing to see one of my friends load up Superhot and within a couple of seconds of learning the controls just go absolutely to town on the enemies, not missing a single shot in practically real time - the room was basically roaring with joy. Pricepoint is obviously too high for them to consider taking part themselves but I don't think there was a single moment of boredom at all.

Checking out some more games for my list, Arizonia Sunshine seems to be The Hot VR Game at the moment - can anygoon vouch for it? Very tempted as I have about £40 on STEAM, but I don't want to make a big purchase if a bunch of smaller ones might be better.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Played some more Unspoken today. Got matches exceedingly quickly, but only ever against the same person who I handily beat in 5 matches and losing only two rounds, both times because I fumbled on the dispelling censer. Hadn't seen Blackjack before, kinda annoyed that they seemed to use Blackjack's shield ability as a shield instead of information mindgames but they did only ever beat me because of tentacles from the ground instead of anything requiring accuracy, so that says a lot about their skill. Can I just burn the tentacles instead, and do I need to use a fully charged shot to do it?

Also, I've noticed that Lemming is #1 on that game's leaderboards while I'm now 1483rd after about 8 games. Since the game is so easy to pick up compared to fighting games, I really hope that after I work my way up the board I start running into competent people that make for fun opponents, then I'll probably start learning the different characters. How long did it take you to get there Lemming?

For the tentacles, two fully charged shots should destroy them, and they'll also weaken over time. Blackjack is probably the second strongest right now, their push attack (the disc) is extremely strong, but does require a bit of aiming. It's definitely a higher skill ceiling class.

Not too long, I got towards the top ten after a few days but it took longer to get up higher, since you sort of need to coordinate to get other good players online at the same time. You'll definitely start running into better players pretty quick. There's a discord here https://discord.gg/sdhJ26K where people talk about the game and coordinate matches. Some of the devs are also active there, which is pretty cool.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I'll probably make a switch to Blackjack since Kinetecist seems pretty damned weak outside of "Suddenly, Police Cars!". I'm not so fond of the idea of putting any more effort than queuing up to get good games, especially with the abject failure to get things going with Onward, which is still my favourite multiplayer VR game.

Songbearer posted:

I love playing this game "seriously", aiming swings and parrying weapons, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't fun to pin an enemy down and beat them to a bloodied pulp without worry of retaliation.

When I played Gorn, I accidentally ended up smashing massive holes into a styrofoam box thing without really noticing. "Huh, that haptic feedback sure seems responsive" and "RIP AND TEAR" were the only things on my mind.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Songbearer posted:

Just had a VR party, showed all my friends Superhot and Gorn and they absolutely fell in love with it. It was amazing to see one of my friends load up Superhot and within a couple of seconds of learning the controls just go absolutely to town on the enemies, not missing a single shot in practically real time - the room was basically roaring with joy. Pricepoint is obviously too high for them to consider taking part themselves but I don't think there was a single moment of boredom at all.

Checking out some more games for my list, Arizonia Sunshine seems to be The Hot VR Game at the moment - can anygoon vouch for it? Very tempted as I have about £40 on STEAM, but I don't want to make a big purchase if a bunch of smaller ones might be better.

I have only gone through a few levels of it, but Arizona Sunshine is pretty fun. It is a bit on the easy side if you can find a choke point, since it's your standard zombie shooter and you can always aim for a headshot, but I imagine hordes will show up later.

As for the VR it is a pretty normal teleporting room-scale shooter. It is good about not letting you "cheat" your teleporting, ie yes you have to walk around the car rather than just flying there, which is an issue in some games. You can pick up a lot of things but they don't necessarily do much other than ammo, grenades, or wearable hats. That is, you can find gas cans and vases and toss them around like tennis balls but don't expect to make gas traps or the like.

A few things are janky, not being able to easily swap half-empty magazines is a bit annoying, and I do wish they had a real reload rather than just touching your chest to instantly load. But it's small things. Otherwise it is technically sound, it's just down to your preference.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

I'll probably make a switch to Blackjack since Kinetecist seems pretty damned weak outside of "Suddenly, Police Cars!". I'm not so fond of the idea of putting any more effort than queuing up to get good games, especially with the abject failure to get things going with Onward, which is still my favourite multiplayer VR game.

The kineticist is the best class right now purely because their default attack spam is unstoppable. Each little piece of debris comes out way quicker than the other classes' charges and it does the same damage. You can throw it way before it actually reaches your hand, it's a pretty far distance you can throw it from. I still drop a lot out of the air by accident but if you practice throwing the garbage from the max distance you can wear down pretty much anyone. Their push attack is also pretty strong, not as good as the blackjack's but a fully charged on does a ton of damage.

Edit: that said it's probably getting nerfed so you should play whatever you think is the most fun

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Anyone else having issues with CV1 in Raw Data and Bullet Sorrow? I know they are marked as Vive only but Raw Data was working before and now I can't teleport for poo poo and everything is all wonky. Bullet Sorrow is playable and fantastic but picking up the shotgun kills the game by instantly making the hands float in a weird direction and become unresponsive as dudes shoot you dead. I hope they fix this because I was really looking forward to Raw Data and Bullet Sorrow ties Superhot for favorite VR game so far.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

bloodysabbath posted:

Anyone else having issues with CV1 in Raw Data and Bullet Sorrow? I know they are marked as Vive only but Raw Data was working before and now I can't teleport for poo poo and everything is all wonky. Bullet Sorrow is playable and fantastic but picking up the shotgun kills the game by instantly making the hands float in a weird direction and become unresponsive as dudes shoot you dead. I hope they fix this because I was really looking forward to Raw Data and Bullet Sorrow ties Superhot for favorite VR game so far.

I've heard that ASW can sometimes screw up SteamVR games. Try disabling it (I think by pressing ctrl+numpad 1 but not 100% on that)

Edit: I see it listed as "ctrl+num1" in places as well I maybe it just means 1

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I went from about where you are to ~300 in 90 minutes of mostly winning today, but I started hitting some competent opponents towards the end.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Just tried that Vermintide VR thing. It's pretty bad! Janky on the rift too. Those ratmen are a lot less silly when they get in your face in 3D though.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

I tried 8k VR today (dual 4k) and it was very pretty. The headset had poor tracking and no roomspace but the visuals were great. The fov was really great.

Technology marches on ...

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
This is odd: I can play the hell out of some Thumper, Chronos, Eve, Superhot, etc. Any VR game, really, but freakin Albino Lullaby just made my stomach jerk after a few minutes. :iiam:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Lemming posted:

I've heard that ASW can sometimes screw up SteamVR games. Try disabling it (I think by pressing ctrl+numpad 1 but not 100% on that)

Edit: I see it listed as "ctrl+num1" in places as well I maybe it just means 1

Back when Oculus first added ASW, the CTRL+1-4 keys would toggle the modes only if you modified the registry to enable it. Oculus has since turned it on for everybody, so you may need to use that registry hack to enable those keys. They still work if you modified your registry, however.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I tried 8k VR today (dual 4k) and it was very pretty. The headset had poor tracking and no roomspace but the visuals were great. The fov was really great.

That sounds pretty awesome, which was it?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Alpha Phoenix posted:

8k and dual 4k are different things (8k has 4x the resolution of 4k, and therefore 2x the resolution of dual 4k).

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Helter Skelter posted:

Stations in Elite are a very common spot for the frame rate to take a huge dump for no discernable reason other than "being in a station".
Yeah it seems that way. That said, this conversation made me go take another look at the graphics settings and it looks like they added "HMD Image Quality". This setting means you don't have to monkey with the SteamVR renderTargetMultiplier to get the text to look acceptable on the Vive. With my renderTargetMultiplier back to default (was 1.4) and the image quality set to 1.25x, the performance is much better and the text looks much better. I suppose theoretically I should set the image quality to 1.5x to get the same effect as I had previously but this is pretty close and when I went to 1.5x I'd get a drop every couple seconds in the station. I'm glad I took a new look at the settings!

It would be awesome if Frontier implemented lens matched shading or even single pass stereo!

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

Surprise Giraffe posted:

That sounds pretty awesome, which was it?

It was pimax. The wide fov 8k one had a bad seam at 30 left and right, but their 4k headset was pretty good.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Alpha Phoenix posted:

It was pimax. The wide fov 8k one had a bad seam at 30 left and right, but their 4k headset was pretty good.

Full of envy. What sort of demo did you get to try? Hope the new GPUs are unveiled soon so we can hear how much it'll cost to drive something like this. I guess they didn't mention anything about fps?

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

It said 90 but I don't think it is was running at that. No real demo though, just that VR ready conker-like game.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Pimax did what, just took two of their displays and put them side by side? Was it a pretty large headset like StarVR?

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

Oh it was enormous, but it had a wide fov, to the point where you could look left past the 3d space into peripheral vision. 200 degrees as they tell it. Problem is there was a visible distortion seam where your eyes go from front 3d into periphery, so dual edged sword there.

It was a clunky size and shape but pretty light honestly.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
I can't imagine what sort of GPU it's going to take to drive one of those, if it doesn't have foveated rendering.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
If 4k means per eye, maybe 2 1080tis?

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

ASW 2.0

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Depends on the content. Not everything needs to be photorealistic.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

You could even downsample a resolution like that and have it look better than the supersampling we're doing now.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

It was hooked up to a non-msi laptop, so I can guarantee I wasn't getting the full experience. :v:

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

Every booth has a vive hooked up to demo, and only one of them has a good lighthouse setup. Occlusion everywhere.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Good timing, my $2.80 apiece "uxcell Wall Mount Round Base Flexible Bracket Stands" from China camera mounts showed up the day after the third Rift sensor. For the price I'm happy enough with the mounts; feel cheap and the threading doesn't quite seem to match up so I barely screwed the cameras in (was really tight), but with how light the cameras are they seem to do the trick. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009PN5NXW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Excited to hop in and try the new 3 sensor tracking on Racket NX and uhhh SteamVR isn't registering the touch trigger pulls so I'm stuck at room setup. Help! Anyone run in to that? Triggers worked fine for the Oculus setup stuff, restarted the apps then the whole PC and same thing and google isn't coming back with anything relevant. The headset and controllers show fine in the little panel thing on my desktop then they show up tracking fine on the screen where you draw around the room, but for both the 'face the headset forward' screen and where you draw your layout there's no response on the screen from either controller trigger. It worked totally fine before a couple weeks ago - Xbone controller is off, don't think I've messed with anything USB since last time besides moving around the sensors to different ports.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

teh_Broseph posted:

Good timing, my $2.80 apiece "uxcell Wall Mount Round Base Flexible Bracket Stands" from China camera mounts showed up the day after the third Rift sensor. For the price I'm happy enough with the mounts; feel cheap and the threading doesn't quite seem to match up so I barely screwed the cameras in (was really tight), but with how light the cameras are they seem to do the trick. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009PN5NXW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Excited to hop in and try the new 3 sensor tracking on Racket NX and uhhh SteamVR isn't registering the touch trigger pulls so I'm stuck at room setup. Help! Anyone run in to that? Triggers worked fine for the Oculus setup stuff, restarted the apps then the whole PC and same thing and google isn't coming back with anything relevant. The headset and controllers show fine in the little panel thing on my desktop then they show up tracking fine on the screen where you draw around the room, but for both the 'face the headset forward' screen and where you draw your layout there's no response on the screen from either controller trigger. It worked totally fine before a couple weeks ago - Xbone controller is off, don't think I've messed with anything USB since last time besides moving around the sensors to different ports.

I could be wrong but I think for Steam VR setup you have to carry the headset while also doing the trigger pull stuff or it doesn't track right.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I had the same issue. I ended up going into developer options and setting my room to "medium" size centered on my midpoint. Close enough, since I'm using the oculus guardian system.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Bhodi posted:

I had the same issue. I ended up going into developer options and setting my room to "medium" size centered on my midpoint. Close enough, since I'm using the oculus guardian system.

Agreed. This is the best way to set up steam with an oculus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I had the same problems. If you want to use SteamVR, you will want to use the beta version.

Also, use these two pieces of software:

Chaperone Tweak
OpenVR Advanced Settings

Chaperone Tweak is a SteamVR app that allows you to set the SteamVR play area through VR. Using your Touch controllers, you can push the Chaperone boundaries out to your Guardian boundaries. You can then expand your floor space to fit your area.

OpenVR Advanced Settings is a plugin for SteamVR itself. It will appear inside SteamVR as a menu option (SteamVR | Desktop | Advanced Settings). Using it you can hide your Chaperone boundaries by setting the opacity to 0%. That will leave you with just the Guardian boundaries. You can also use it to reconfigure your floor height.

You will also want to disable interleaved reprojection and enable asynchronous reprojection.

Finally, disable ASW while using SteamVR, because it can cause poo poo to fail hard. If you have the old ASW registry hack enabled, you can use CTRL+Numpad 1 to disable it. Otherwise, you can use the Oculus Debug Tool to disable it.

After all this stupid poo poo is done, congrats, you can now play SteamVR titles. Expect more stupid poo poo to affect you in the future because SteamVR doesn't work that well with the Rift.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 7, 2017