Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I believe you will find arch is cool and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

graph posted:

wait whats x11s replacement? or am i reading this wrong

wayland

hence the Norse mythology discussion earlier

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

yeah i read this wrong, as like a gfx card or some poo poo

but cool yeah ill check it out (lotta folks rely on x11 at work)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

graph posted:

wayland

it's more similar to the window server on macOS, the most advanced operating system in the world, than it is to X-Windows

of course it's just a protocol spec rather than as an implementation because Open Source developers just can't deal with having one right thing, they absolutely must have many somewhat-incompatible things to feel like they're really accomplishing something

that means people talk about Wayland when they really mean Weston, which is the reference implementation of Wayland that's pretty much tied to Linux because it relies on a whole bunch of facilities that aren't implemented elsewhere

and of course all this means a new shell too that doesn't have a lot of the features that people are used to, and there are apps that assume that the toolkit they're using runs on top of X-Windows and need porting

and of course the coup de grace is that the developers stayed away from specifying much about the higher-level frameworks so it doesn't solve the worst problem with X-Windows, which is that every application uses its own artisanal bespoke widget set rather than settling on a single consistent standard

like even what Luigi Thirty has shown me about Amiga application development still looks saner than Linux application development, and Wayland doesn't do anything to fix this at all

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I mean what you posted is almost perfectly wrong but ok cool story my dude

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
if os x only has good widget toolkit how come all the apple apps all look stupidly different and are just webviews in a wrapper anyway

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

graph posted:

Mir

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

since this is an nbsd post i will just assume that wayland is actually good

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Truga posted:

lmao look at these people voluntarily wasting perfectly good screen real estate.

my 2017 lotd rant:
i hope fedora 26 makes a way for me to actually set a keyboard model in all the apps. in gnome I couln't even find if it can be set, and the setting in kde control panel or systemd/gdm conf doesn't apply to everything correctly either

right now, my laptop keyboard works incorrectly to various degrees in everything not a terminal. luckily i spend 99% of my time on the laptop in some sort of terminal and qt creator fakevim, which also surprisingly works correctly (while no other qt app does, including qt creator without fakevim enabled)

still, it's annoying i get no home/end key functionality in almost any gui app, including both browsers, unless i plug in a usb keyboard

it's an even bigger clusterfuck on other distros, so it's not something wayland did

in fedora 25 with wayland i had to choose "Norwegian Nynorsk" keyboard to get a normal norwegian keyboard layout, if I chose the normal bokmål one it only existed as a "Typing booster" whatever the hell that is (i guess gnome's ime engine or something?)

why are the keyboard options in wayland different? libinput-related?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
my 2017 LOTD status:
had to disable wayland for my development vmware box to have dynamic resolution support
I thought 4GB would be enough ram but it's not
occasionally things like "npm install" or "using Slack" will crush the CPU for a couple minutes, despite the VM being set to 4 cores and on a decent i5

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
still better than windows as a dev environment though lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tankakern posted:

why are the keyboard options in wayland different? libinput-related?

wayland uses libxkbcommon. this is their site in 2017: https://xkbcommon.org/, and have fun with their "documentation". as far as i can tell, there is currently no way to change the keyboard model in a wayland desktop environment like gnome? at least ibus has been good for a while now and that makes layout switching super easy.

to make matters worse, a lot of x apps have in recent years apparently decided to ignore many xkb or xmodxmap settings (yes, i tried xmodmap too, after failing with xkb).

some backstory, i use a chomebook as a work laptop (the 3:2 2560x1700 monitor is worth having only 64gb ssd imo, I have my loud music and other big files on the SD card anyway), so i have to use the chomebook keyboard model to get keys like pgup/dn. this isn't anything new, all my previous laptops used Fn+keys for most all of these, however these were "hardware" keys using the Fn key so i could just use the default generic 101 key keyboard and everything worked fine

on a chomebook, i remap these keys to right alt+arrows, 1) because that is where that fn key used to be on my previous keyboard, and 2) it's also the default chomebook kb model behaviour in default xkb files, so why not just do this right?

well, no. firefox and chome ignore xkb almost entirely. qt and gtk apps appear to be aware of the xkb options, as all shortcuts work as expected. however, none of the keyboard model (home/end/pgup/dn etc combinations) functions work. the only windows where the entirety of keyboard works as expected are gnome-terminal and xterm. meanwhile, konsole is the only app that appears to ignore xkb completely, even my ctrl-winkey swap doesn't work (winkey on chomebook is where capslock used to be), and that option works everywhere else.

there's that very weird exception too: qt creator (a very good c++ ide btw) has a fakevim mode, that makes its editor window behave like vim. *all* the keys and combinations work correctly with that. why? I have absolutely zero idea. they don't work with the normal behaviour text editor, nor the rest of the ide components

poo poo's completely inconsistent. i'd have probably sold the laptop by now if qt creator and terminal wasn't literally 99% of my use.

fake edit:

ahmeni posted:

always

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Truga posted:

wayland uses libxkbcommon. this is their site in 2017: https://xkbcommon.org/, and have fun with their "documentation".

Woah a whole domain, I'd have expected a project like that to have a default sourceforge page

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
infrastructure programmers tend to have a sense of aesthetics that is unusual to say the least so it's probably for the best that they used unstyled html

bootstrap or some sort of static page compiler are also acceptable options.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

wayland is generally very nice, but the one thing that really bugs me is that even if you just want a basic, blank window to draw stuff in you still need qt or gtk to handle the decorations, otherwise you just get an immobile borderless rectangle. kde has a wayland extension that lets you ask for a window with the default system decorations, but that doesn't help on everything else.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Sapozhnik posted:

I mean what you posted is almost perfectly wrong but ok cool story my dude

specificity is the soul of effective burns

Suspicious Dish posted:

if os x only has good widget toolkit how come all the apple apps all look stupidly different and are just webviews in a wrapper anyway

stupidly different is mostly the remaining design holdovers from when jobs was alive. he really liked an address book app that looked like a physical spiral bound address book, and so forth.

webviews in wrappers are not as common as you say, seem to generally be cases where they got lazy about implementing it the right way, and usually stick out because they suck. the Mac App Store is a good example of this phenomenon

eschaton was right: linux on the desktop is doomed as long as the open sores community squabbles so much over competing specs and/or implementations of things that should be written once and written well in order to have a sane environment for people to write applications for.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

post default html and the most linux web pages u got

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ahmeni posted:

lmao. don't worry buddy. some day you'll be able to afford windows.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

wayland uses libxkbcommon. this is their site in 2017: https://xkbcommon.org/, and have fun with their "documentation". as far as i can tell, there is currently no way to change the keyboard model in a wayland desktop environment like gnome? at least ibus has been good for a while now and that makes layout switching super easy.

to make matters worse, a lot of x apps have in recent years apparently decided to ignore many xkb or xmodxmap settings (yes, i tried xmodmap too, after failing with xkb).

some backstory, i use a chomebook as a work laptop (the 3:2 2560x1700 monitor is worth having only 64gb ssd imo, I have my loud music and other big files on the SD card anyway), so i have to use the chomebook keyboard model to get keys like pgup/dn. this isn't anything new, all my previous laptops used Fn+keys for most all of these, however these were "hardware" keys using the Fn key so i could just use the default generic 101 key keyboard and everything worked fine

on a chomebook, i remap these keys to right alt+arrows, 1) because that is where that fn key used to be on my previous keyboard, and 2) it's also the default chomebook kb model behaviour in default xkb files, so why not just do this right?

well, no. firefox and chome ignore xkb almost entirely. qt and gtk apps appear to be aware of the xkb options, as all shortcuts work as expected. however, none of the keyboard model (home/end/pgup/dn etc combinations) functions work. the only windows where the entirety of keyboard works as expected are gnome-terminal and xterm. meanwhile, konsole is the only app that appears to ignore xkb completely, even my ctrl-winkey swap doesn't work (winkey on chomebook is where capslock used to be), and that option works everywhere else.

there's that very weird exception too: qt creator (a very good c++ ide btw) has a fakevim mode, that makes its editor window behave like vim. *all* the keys and combinations work correctly with that. why? I have absolutely zero idea. they don't work with the normal behaviour text editor, nor the rest of the ide components

poo poo's completely inconsistent. i'd have probably sold the laptop by now if qt creator and terminal wasn't literally 99% of my use.

fake edit:

always

lol why the gently caress would you do this to yourself??

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

What's the Linux thread's opinion of "UNIX"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

it was a mistake that Linux did a bad job of copying

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it's a cool, dead 90s os

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i have janitored various unices and unixen and they are fine

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

my opionion is:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

atomicthumbs posted:

the most advanced operating system in the world has periodically been certified to use this trademark

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

atomicthumbs posted:

eunuchs :rolleye:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

eschaton posted:

the most advanced operating system in the world has periodically been certified to use this trademark

lol

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

atomicthumbs posted:

if linux is inspired by unix then unix must be pretty cool

for real though, when I used a solaris and found that /proc didn't have any useful information I just gave up

I once promised myself that I would give solaris a real shot but I got no time for that trash now

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i like the idea of a designed system where all the tools you need to use it are part of it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
friend, have you tried netbsd

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Fedora 23 ❤️ Parallels, apparently 24 too but Fedora wants to update to 25 and Parallels is all ☹️

I mean I use CentOS 7 at work which I just had to downgrade from 7.3 to 7.2 because the special snowflake builds don't work in production.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

el dorito posted:

Linux is Unix System V fanfic

BSD is the real deal, and only getting better as it absorbs Mach concepts

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

el dorito posted:

for real though, when I used a solaris and found that /proc didn't have any useful information I just gave up

I once promised myself that I would give solaris a real shot but I got no time for that trash now

solaris was really good and i miss it

the /proc was indeed completely loving useless though. just enough bsd crap for backwards compatibility

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

atomicthumbs posted:

freebsd is a mess

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

my stepdads beer posted:

freebsd is a mess

why

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

MrMoo posted:

Fedora 23 ❤️ Parallels, apparently 24 too but Fedora wants to update to 25 and Parallels is all ☹️

I mean I use CentOS 7 at work which I just had to downgrade from 7.3 to 7.2 because the special snowflake builds don't work in production.

Parallels is trash, use vmware

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Suspicious Dish posted:

because the "just use the os's native widgets instead of rolling your own, you fucks" war was lost some time in the 90s.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

atomicthumbs posted:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

of course it's just a protocol spec rather than as an implementation because Open Source developers just can't deal with having one right thing, they absolutely must have many somewhat-incompatible things to feel like they're really accomplishing something

[...]

and of course all this means a new shell too that doesn't have a lot of the features that people are used to, and there are apps that assume that the toolkit they're using runs on top of X-Windows and need porting

and of course the coup de grace is that the developers stayed away from specifying much about the higher-level frameworks so it doesn't solve the worst problem with X-Windows, which is that every application uses its own artisanal bespoke widget set rather than settling on a single consistent standard

weirdly i actually agree with you

it took twenty years to hash out the set of standards and conventions, specified and unspecified, that allow X11 applications to interoperate properly. for a long, long time simple stuff like window minimization, window alerts, modal dialogues, system notification areas etc were broken as gently caress

now wayland wants to replace the window server protocol and window manager model without addressing any of the decades of miscellaneous crap it took us to get here in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013