Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

spog posted:

I'll admit to being that guy, though it was for work, not personal.

It's pretty amazing that just having a car license would allow me to hire one of these and legally hit the UK's twisty and narrow roads with zero training:

Bonus points for convincing the hire company to hide the repair costs in the basic hire cost, so my accountants would reimburse me for it.

That hasn't been true since 1997. You need a class 2 LGV licence to drive a 7.5t truck these days I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Blacknose posted:

That hasn't been true since 1997. You need a class 2 LGV licence to drive a 7.5t truck these days I believe.

I should admit that I am quite old and still have a paper license, with grandfathered in rights, so I get to be a bigger menace on the road than young 'uns.

I can also drive an agricultural tractor, a lawn mower, a road roller, and a tank (thought the last two are only provisional licenses)

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Enourmo posted:

Cars have conservative ratings, as far as I'm aware what you see is what you get on the pickups.

Anecdotal of course, but I know a lot of farmers who drastically exceed tow ratings with 1/2 and 3/4 ton pickups all day every day with zero issues. My dads old 6.2 diesel was rated for 10k or whatever it was, and we'd routinely haul 15-20k pieces of equipment without any issue. Now, we weren't doing it on the highway, or for huge distances, but the truck never hiccuped or blinked an eye about it - brakes, transmission, engine all just puttered along happily. But this is also talking about people with properly maintained vehicles who know what they are dong, as opposed to the other 98% of people on the road who are giant loving twatwaffles.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

spog posted:

I should admit that I am quite old and still have a paper license, with grandfathered in rights, so I get to be a bigger menace on the road than young 'uns.

I can also drive an agricultural tractor, a lawn mower, a road roller, and a tank (thought the last two are only provisional licenses)

Even those of us with the lovely later licenses can still drive tanks as provisional. I believe too that if they only have one seat you can do it unaccompanied with just an L plate, and older tanks are also road tax free, MOT exempt and congestion charge exempt...

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Uhaul let me rent a car towing dolly while I was driving a 91 honda accord with a hitch, to tow an 82 honda accord.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I just abuse U-Haul for car trailers.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Last time I rented from U-Haul, I made the reservation almost a month in advance. SPECIFICALLY stated I needed air conditioning (I was moving in August and don't tolerate heat well) and a 17-20 ft truck. Would also need a dolly and moving blankets. Said no problem.

I show up.. they give me a 10 ft 80s Toyota with the "AIR CONDITIONED CAB" sticker peeled off. It has an a/c button on the dash, but all it did was light up, the air coming out of the vents was still boiling hot. Of course, it's "the only truck left on the lot" (I pointed at all the other trucks, they said "oh those are all rented out too"). The odometer was stuck (around 350k), which worked out in my favor, because my dumbass didn't bother checking to make sure the dolly and blankets were back there (and when I raised hell about having to drive back to get them, and asked them to refund some of the mileage, they said nope, you shoulda checked, and how do we know you didn't already unload the dolly and blankets?). It was belching a smoke screen that would make James Bond proud, wouldn't idle, would stall if you didn't gently roll into the throttle, and as a cop pointed out to me, none of the rear lights worked.

Bingo, though a lot of them have wound up with public transit agencies that run on-call paratransit routes. DART owns a bunch of them.

Two things:

1: I really liked those old 80s Toyota trucks. I blame Back To The Future, I wanted that black lifted 4x4 so bad. They're like plucky little badgers that do what you want and don't give a gently caress. I loved the old dually camper conversions those things would stick out the front of when I was a kid.

2: Why does literally everything lovely happen to you? It's like you attract bullshittery.

E: #2 depends on my correct assumption that you're the artist formerly known as Some Texas Redneck.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Siochain posted:

Anecdotal of course, but I know a lot of farmers who drastically exceed tow ratings with 1/2 and 3/4 ton pickups all day every day with zero issues. My dads old 6.2 diesel was rated for 10k or whatever it was, and we'd routinely haul 15-20k pieces of equipment without any issue. Now, we weren't doing it on the highway, or for huge distances, but the truck never hiccuped or blinked an eye about it - brakes, transmission, engine all just puttered along happily. But this is also talking about people with properly maintained vehicles who know what they are dong, as opposed to the other 98% of people on the road who are giant loving twatwaffles.

Ya I'm pretty sure the thing with tow ratings is they're assuming you're a complete idiot that thinks you don't have to adjust your driving at all. I get why they do that given the first snow of the year causes a shitload of people to rear end other vehicles because they don't understand that it may take longer to stop in the snow, but I also don't think it's the end of the world to exceed it while being smart and careful about it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Enourmo posted:

Cars have conservative ratings, as far as I'm aware what you see is what you get on the pickups.

Reminder that the ratings are based less on what the vehicle can pull and more on what it can comfortably control and stop from highway speeds. That's a lot harder than pulling.

You could hook up one of the dollies they use in multi-trailer trucks behind a modern pickup or SUV and on level ground at low speed you could pull pretty much anything on wheels. See the Touareg pulling the 747, the Tacoma pulling the Space Shuttle, etc.

With that in mind I have no problem with people exceeding the weight ratings of pickups at low speeds on back roads. As Siochain notes, that's basically a way of life for farmers. If you're going tractor speeds the risk is insignificant.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

USDM truck tow ratings assume you'll be pulling the rated load:
1. At 80 MPH
2. On an 8% grade
3. In death valley on the hottest day of the year
4. While being a complete retard
5. With your lawyer's phone number on speed dial

USDM car tow ratings assume:
1. If they tell you it can't tow at all you'll buy a much-more-profitable truck instead

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tomarse posted:

Even those of us with the lovely later licenses can still drive tanks as provisional. I believe too that if they only have one seat you can do it unaccompanied with just an L plate, and older tanks are also road tax free, MOT exempt and congestion charge exempt...

Admit it: you've done the calculations to see if you could justify a surplus Scorpion tank for commuting.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

1500quidporsche posted:

Ya I'm pretty sure the thing with tow ratings is they're assuming you're a complete idiot that thinks you don't have to adjust your driving at all. I get why they do that given the first snow of the year causes a shitload of people to rear end other vehicles because they don't understand that it may take longer to stop in the snow, but I also don't think it's the end of the world to exceed it while being smart and careful about it.

Yep. gently caress, I've towedsomewhere between 9k and 10k with the Tundra and it handled it so smoothly its not even funny. Obviously took longer to stop, but it wasn't 1/2 as bad as I thought it would be. Would have a diesel if I did that often, though, as hooooooooooly gently caress she chugged gas.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's all fun and games until you have to avoid the idiot that's texting, then the tail wags the dog and you roll over and your insurance denies your damage and bodily injury claims due to negligent operation.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Kev got you all beat....

Kevbarlas posted:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I remember that thread, great beginnings of an AI legend.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Godholio posted:

It's all fun and games until you have to avoid the idiot that's texting, then the tail wags the dog and you roll over and your insurance denies your damage and bodily injury claims due to negligent operation.

Guess it's time for a classic video of the towing genre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyXgMal3C1U

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Siochain posted:

Yep. gently caress, I've towedsomewhere between 9k and 10k with the Tundra and it handled it so smoothly its not even funny. Obviously took longer to stop, but it wasn't 1/2 as bad as I thought it would be. Would have a diesel if I did that often, though, as hooooooooooly gently caress she chugged gas.

This. I regularly hit 10kish hauling round bales with my Tundra. It does it, trailer brakes make sure it stops ok, but daaamn 8mpg. Even with an unladen tall stock trailer it will hit single digits on the interstate.

Also there is an SAE standard for towing now. Toyota uses it and I think some of the other manufacturers have signed on as well. Old tow ratings are set by the marketing department, not the engineering or legal department.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

HandlingByJebus posted:

gently caress yeah.

When I moved out of my parents' house, UHaul rented me a late-70s gasoline-engined 24' GMC with a manual transmission. This was in the mid 90s. It was basically falling apart. I'd had my license for less than a year.

I picked my girlfriend up from school in it. Stopped on a huge hill in front of the school. Parked facing uphill, of course.

Empty truck stalled twice, then did a loving great burnout. Nobody was more surprised than I was.

Heh, yeah back then screw haul had the manual trannies. Probably 1st was a granny gear.

I can't imagine the carnage on the roads if manuals were still offered at rental places.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
Idiots like this are why towing cap ratings are so low.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

rdb posted:

This. I regularly hit 10kish hauling round bales with my Tundra. It does it, trailer brakes make sure it stops ok, but daaamn 8mpg. Even with an unladen tall stock trailer it will hit single digits on the interstate.

Also there is an SAE standard for towing now. Toyota uses it and I think some of the other manufacturers have signed on as well. Old tow ratings are set by the marketing department, not the engineering or legal department.

J2807, loving finally. Everyone has just been playing one-upmanship for years. At least they'll have to put up or shut up.

Then again, 900+ft-lbs and the aggressive transmissions mean you can really loving pull with a 3/4 ton class diesel truck. The brakes are no slouch anymore, either. Combine that with exhaust brakes and adaptive cruise control, and poo poo sure has gotten easier/better in recent years. Of course, that requires that the driver knows what the gently caress they're doing :lol: .

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Savington posted:

Idiots like this contribute as well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Even worse, look how unbalanced that trailer is.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Savington posted:

Nice cage (?!)

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Powershift posted:

This probably wouldn't have happened if the trailered car were just a few feet more forward, but that might exceed the tongue rating.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Like that guy had any idea about tongue ratings or balancing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know if it's possible to find a picture of it anymore. Maybe I even saw it on this forum somewhere. It was a guy who wanted a big tree stump. They put it forward on the trailer and it both broke the trailer and bent his truck in half.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

fixed that intercooler boss

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

fixed that intercooler boss

whhhhaaaaat the hell did they do.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

EightBit posted:

This probably wouldn't have happened if the trailered car were just a few feet more forward, but that might exceed the tongue rating.

Obviously the talented staff at U-Haul would have instructed the owner on proper trailer techniques.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

whhhhaaaaat the hell did they do.

This has to be a joke. Theres no way.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Colostomy Bag posted:

Obviously the talented staff at U-Haul would have instructed the owner on proper trailer techniques.

Every UHaul trailer I've seen has big labels saying to put more weight to the front.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

Every UHaul trailer I've seen has big labels saying to put more weight to the front.

If my wife had those labels I'd suffocate.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I imagine I'd grabbed these from way earlier in the thread, like a few years back, but they're worth re-posting:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh nice, running that high viscosity stuff! That's what you want in hot climates right?

https://gfycat.com/TidyQueasyAuk#?speed=0.5

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
http://i.imgur.com/FuSPLHn.mp4

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Do you not haul hay with your tractor?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Oh nice, running that high viscosity stuff! That's what you want in hot climates right?

https://gfycat.com/TidyQueasyAuk#?speed=0.5

Man, at first I thought it was just so full of metal particles it was doing some kind of ferrofluid magic bullshit, but then the closeup when you can see how slow it's flowing... :stare:

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Then there's this from a while back..

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/8-lug-truck-performance-149/any-6-0-2500hd-pulling-travel-trailers-442654/#post4225054

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

This is goddamned amazing and I'd be impressed if it went more than a mile at any speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

PCOS Bill posted:

Do you not haul hay with your tractor?
:v: