Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

hard counter posted:

... like i'm sure a proud mom getting a commemorative tat of her newborn (or a soldier of his buddy, whatever)

Never understood this, either. Would you forget that your child/friend existed if you didn't have a tattoo related to them?

I'm not trying to be snide, I genuinely don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

I was way off. He was not only charged with manslaughter successfully, but was retried and got life for murder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armin_Meiwes

You might be thinking of Issei Sagawa, he was acquitted and then made a career of going on talk shows as "that guy who eats people"

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i have zero tattoos so you'll have to seek your answers elsewhere

god bless

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Do we need headstones for the dead? People just do things to feel good about them.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Do we need headstones for the dead? People just do things to feel good about them.

That'll have to do, I guess. :shrug:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

gentle pete posted:

You might be thinking of Issei Sagawa, he was acquitted and then made a career of going on talk shows as "that guy who eats people"

Okay yeah, it was definitely that guy.

I remember the talk show part.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh yeah, him. What a grade A piece of poo poo. He definetly did not get permission from the woman he murdered.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Solice Kirsk posted:

Vodka is awesome because the better it is the less it tastes like anything. If you can find Wheatley's Vodka drop the ~$20 on it and never look back. Tito's is also an acceptable cheap amazing vodka.

If Alton Brown is to be believed that's due to the higher priced stuff being purified more. So what you do is get one of those brita pitchers you pour the water into and it purifies it on your countertop. Only instead you buy cheap vodka and send it through the pitcher 5 or 6 times, and have absolutely top shelf quality stuff for bottom shelf prices.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

If Alton Brown is to be believed that's due to the higher priced stuff being purified more. So what you do is get one of those brita pitchers you pour the water into and it purifies it on your countertop. Only instead you buy cheap vodka and send it through the pitcher 5 or 6 times, and have absolutely top shelf quality stuff for bottom shelf prices.

Or just spend $20 on either of the bottles I just told you about and call it a day.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Solice Kirsk posted:

Vodka is awesome because the better it is the less it tastes like anything.

If you just wanna get drunk, that's fine, but saying a drink is good because it has no taste makes no sense.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Good Vodka's main bragging right is that it tastes slightly less like rubbing alcohol than cheap Vodka.

I saw that Alton Brown thing too but I wonder if it was that simple, why aren't cheap vodka companies just running it all through purifiers and wiping out the upscale brands?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

veni veni veni posted:

Good Vodka's main bragging right is that it tastes slightly less like rubbing alcohol than cheap Vodka.

I saw that Alton Brown thing too but I wonder if it was that simple, why aren't cheap vodka companies just running it all through purifiers and wiping out the upscale brands?

I think a lot of cheaper vodkas do do it but it I think it comes down to mostly marketing. Most people who aren't biased going in will say a vodka like svedka, about 17 dollars a handle, is at least roughly on par with the top shelf stuff that costs 4 times as much. But it doesn't have a fancy bottle or name recognition so when people want to buy something to impress people with their "taste"+money they always reach for the grey goose, belvedere or ciroc even if they can't taste the difference.

Regarding tattoos, I don't have any and likely never will, but it's definitely not for moral reasons or "my body is a temple" or whatever. I think it is fine to make fun of peoples' tattoos as long as you aren't coming from that perspective - like with many things, a lot of people do make genuinely awful decisions on what tattoos to get and deserve to be laughed at (in a light-hearted way, unless it's like that pokemon hentai tattoo a goon (?) got across his whole arm).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, that was back in college (I'm 31 now) and I haven't ever spent that much since. My $150 ones were actually Shures. Before them I hadn't ever had anything better than cheap supermarket headphones, so that's partly why I noticed such a huge difference.

A huge chunk of their market is professionals (first time I used a pair was in a TOP SECRET MILITARY THING where people wore them for hours on end) so even their cheaper stuff is good, comfortable, and durable.

I guess this was just an endorsement and not related to the thread but :shrug:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think a lot of cheaper vodkas do do it but it I think it comes down to mostly marketing. Most people who aren't biased going in will say a vodka like svedka, about 17 dollars a handle, is at least roughly on par with the top shelf stuff that costs 4 times as much. But it doesn't have a fancy bottle or name recognition so when people want to buy something to impress people with their "taste"+money they always reach for the grey goose, belvedere or ciroc even if they can't taste the difference.

I would actually say Grey goose tastes noticeably less lovely (by that I mean it's still lovely because it's Vodka but it's tastes less like something you should be cleaning wounds with) than Svedka.

Vodka is terrible though. The entire idea behind "good" vodka is that it's basically a date rape drug. Bad vodka is for bums to drink when they are dying in an alley.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wine is never a pleasant addition to a meal in my opinion.
I never eat and drink at the same time. I'll have a drink before a meal and/or after a meal, never during. If someone offers me a drink with my meal, I may accept, but I'll wait till I'm done eating to drink it.

Das Boo posted:

Give me your goddamn vodka. Good, bad, I don't give a gently caress. I will drink the poo poo out of it.
Drink this, I dare you.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Drink this, I dare you.

Tiggum, I genuinely like you, but I'm trying to imagine you drunk and I'm getting a loving divide-by-zero error

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The fact that they need to specify to drink it chilled makes me want to try it warm just to see why.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The fact that they need to specify to drink it chilled makes me want to try it warm just to see why.

Well, you do eat rear end. Start here if you want to tempt fate with room temperature swill against all advice:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

Tiggum, I genuinely like you, but I'm trying to imagine you drunk and I'm getting a loving divide-by-zero error

Um, OK? I guess I'm different to how you imagine me then. It's nice that you like me though.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Speaking of embarrassing drinking habits, Arbor Mist is good.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Alton Brown chat: I was at a Costco when he had a book signing starting and there was a huge line. He showed up right on time and looked happy to be there. Seems to buck celebrity chef stereotype by being a decent human. Plus his sushi rice recipe is excellent.

Content: I don't think most single people in apartments should own dogs. The animals need more space and time than they can provide. I've known too many people who try to cram multiple dogs into a studio, or put the dog in the bathroom and teach it to poop in the tub. Even more responsible owners constantly need to leave work to walk the pet or arrange last second care.

Dogs are awesome, but wait until they fit your life situation. Unless you can bring it to work or have the money to hire a walker every day.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Regarding dogs, not neutering/spaying them is a sign of being "riff raff" as Jastiger likes to say. Also, there is absolutely no reason to buy/seek out a purebred dog unless it is bred specifically for a working task that you need it to do. Buying a purebred and/or "designer breed" as a family pet is idiotic.

Whether you paid 5000 dollars for your dog or 50 dollars to adopt them, get them fixed, we don't need more accidental puppies that will end up dead or in shelters. It puts me at odds with the attitude of pet owners I've met in europe. They don't have the same pet overpopulation problem as the US does, but still, why not get them fixed? It's a quick, cheap and simple operation and people who think it "ruins" the pet's personality are delusional.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Alton Brown chat: I was at a Costco when he had a book signing starting and there was a huge line. He showed up right on time and looked happy to be there. Seems to buck celebrity chef stereotype by being a decent human. Plus his sushi rice recipe is excellent.

Content: I don't think most single people in apartments should own dogs. The animals need more space and time than they can provide. I've known too many people who try to cram multiple dogs into a studio, or put the dog in the bathroom and teach it to poop in the tub. Even more responsible owners constantly need to leave work to walk the pet or arrange last second care.

Dogs are awesome, but wait until they fit your life situation. Unless you can bring it to work or have the money to hire a walker every day.

Some dogs are probably fine in an apt, but this is true of a lot of breeds.

The problem is, what if someone starts out in a house and needs to move to an apt? Do the need to get rid of their dog? That seems unfair to both the owner and the dog.

E: Alton Brown rules. I find most celebrity chefs completely insufferable but I would love to kick it with Alton Brown for an evening.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pastry of the Year posted:

Well, you do eat rear end. Start here if you want to tempt fate with room temperature swill against all advice:

I one time fell asleep on a park bench at like 4am in Chicago in December with nothing but a coat on and two bottles of Night Train in me and I've never slept more soundly or warm in my life. That poo poo is like a liquid Hilton to the homeless.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I'm happy you're less homeless now.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Me too!

edit:
Though I wasn't homeless. Just didn't make it home.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Tiggum posted:

I never eat and drink at the same time. I'll have a drink before a meal and/or after a meal, never during. If someone offers me a drink with my meal, I may accept, but I'll wait till I'm done eating to drink it.

So what happens if you're eating something super dry like biscuits or crackers or something? You just tough it out until you're finished?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Solice Kirsk posted:

I one time fell asleep on a park bench at like 4am in Chicago in December with nothing but a coat on and two bottles of Night Train in me and I've never slept more soundly or warm in my life. That poo poo is like a liquid Hilton to the homeless.

Passing out in the snow is a thing people die from here every year, good thing Chicago is a warm city.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

veni veni veni posted:

Some dogs are probably fine in an apt, but this is true of a lot of breeds.

The problem is, what if someone starts out in a house and needs to move to an apt? Do the need to get rid of their dog? That seems unfair to both the owner and the dog.

E: Alton Brown rules. I find most celebrity chefs completely insufferable but I would love to kick it with Alton Brown for an evening.

Oh I understand when people may need to unexpectedly downsize their housing situation and didn't plan on putting a dog in an apartment, and I don't advocate canine confiscation. I'm thinking more of my multiple friends and family members that made the choice to adopt a furry toddler without having the time, living space, or money to care for the animal.

If a working person has the resources to lavish unlimited attention on a dog so it isn't left alone ten hours a day (looking at you, cousin who spent five figures operating a labradoodle airline from Alaska to Oregon) then it's their money. I just think it is a bad call to take on a dog when a person doesn't have the space or time.

Also, I'd be in favor of permanently making Christmas Eve the last Saturday of December, then Sunday Christmas, then Monday federal holiday. Non-participants can enjoy the three day weekend.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

So what happens if you're eating something super dry like biscuits or crackers or something? You just tough it out until you're finished?

I've never had this problem. :shrug:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm not surprised to hear you don't eat biscuits.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Who needs a drink when you have delicious refreshing Soylent

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Southern biscuits are the best biscuits regardless of your definition of a biscuit.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

I'm not surprised to hear you don't eat biscuits.

I don't know if you're using the American or English definition of biscuits, but I do eat crackers and scones, I just don't find that they cause me any problem to eat. I don't "tough it out", I just eat them. :shrug:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Just drown your biscuits in gravy like every fat loving gently caress in Texas does

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Biscuits and gravy is terrible. I'm definetly not too good for crappy, 10,000 calorie, gut bomb hangover breakfast meals but that one has always been baffling to me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sausage gravy is good. Buttery fluffy biscuits is good. Put them together and it's even gooder.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't disagree with the first two sentences. I hate how the biscuits don't absorb the gravy. If I'm going to go whole hog on some ridiculous breakfast I'd rather do chicken fried steak. I'd rather just do some eggs potato and meat though.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

veni veni veni posted:

I don't disagree with the first two sentences. I hate how the biscuits don't absorb the gravy. If I'm going to go whole hog on some ridiculous breakfast I'd rather do chicken fried steak. I'd rather just do some eggs potato and meat though.

what are you just stuffing the biscuits in your mouth wholehog?? You cut them up with your fork and/or knife and swirl them around in the gravy to get more absorption. They're not a thin slice of bread that sucks things up like a sponge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No. I cut them up. It's still a bad breakfast.