Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

While It's true it's a prequel, from the season I watched, it will be enhanced by knowing Breaking Bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pan Dulce posted:

Because TVIV voted Better Call Saul so highly, I just wanted to ask if it's really necessary to watch Breaking Bad to know what the gently caress is happening on it? There's just so much to catch up on...

You don't HAVE to watch BB to enjoy BCS but there will be some minor moments that would be confusing, mainly some bookend parts take place in "present day" which are presented without context since you're expected to know why Jimmy is living in Omaha managing a Cinnabon.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Breaking Bad is way better than BCS

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Wow. They completely rewrote their pitch for Powerless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDnO2cvBbnA

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dexo posted:

They should try again, third time's the charm.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Breaking Bad is way better than BCS

I think BCS is better just because the show has more of a tighter focus on pretty much just Jimmy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like the epic storyline of BB. BCS feels more like actors having fun being actors. Also way too much Mike.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You can watch Better Call Saul 100% fine without knowing a thing about Breaking Bad. You'll miss easter eggs for BB fans but that's it. All we're talking about is characters or other things from the Breaking Bad series showing up in Saul for a "oh, its _____!" reaction. But everything in the show and story stands on its own and most of it has next to nothing to do with Breaking Bad.

The two shows honestly feel way too different to compare. BB is an adventure while Saul is a character study. I love both for different reasons.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Dexo posted:

So it's a worse Better Off Ted?

I guess a comedic show about insurance agents probably wasn't the best way to go, no matter what they sell insurance for.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

This is DC/Wayne Tech so I assume its different from the Marvel show about insurance agents/clean up crews? That's a weird idea for both companies to want to make shows about.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Batman's company is selling items to protect civilian's from Batman and his friends.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

This is DC/Wayne Tech so I assume its different from the Marvel show about insurance agents/clean up crews? That's a weird idea for both companies to want to make shows about.

It's the insurance agents show. The clean up crew is from Marvel and I don't think it was ever officially announced, just rumored.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I would watch BB first if you could, even if it's not necessary to understand the plot it helps you appreciate what they're doing with the characters a lot more and gives a lot more impact to things. Plus when you inevitably decide to watch BB it will hurt your enjoyment, partly because it spoils a bunch of stuff and partly because you'll bring a bunch of baggage to characters that were never supposed to have it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's true. You can watch Better Call Saul on its own but if you have any intention to watch Breaking Bad you should see it first. Otherwise a lot of the stuff BB was trying to do with characters or stories will fail or be ruined because of the extra information you have from Saul.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Don't think of Breaking Bad as some burden. It's a great show with a few boring parts. It's also way funnier than the ads and press make it out to look.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Who cares about Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul, CW has announced that they're rebooting CHARMED as a period piece set in the 70s.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wish Person of Interest had gone further in the direction of episodes like 7 and ditched the computer plot entirely.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Dexo posted:

That doesn't look good, not even I am going to watch that

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hate that I'll have to wait 5 hours to watch tonight's The Good Place. I wish Hulu would put the episodes up immediately after they air, or while they're airing like HBO Now does. :mad:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I miss the Hulu queue. It was such a nice and simple way to see what was a new episode of a show I'm watching regularly and what was some show I had thrown on there to binge some time. Even a nice way to quickly sort it by what's expiring.

If they'd just bring that thing back I'd probably regularly subscribe to it instead of signing up once every 3-6 months when I get a "free month" coupon of some kind.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

2x01.

http://personofinterest.wikia.com/wiki/Bear

e: the more appropriate question is "when does it get bad?" really.

I would say the answer to that is when it goes heavy on all the Samaritan poo poo. What I liked about S1-S3 POI was how there were so many different threads and moving parts which left you wondering what was going to happen next and how it was going to happen and who was involved. But then Samaritan comes along and they throw all that into the trash. There are still a lot of great standalone episodes even then, but I think the general plot really starts to suffer at that point.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

I wish Person of Interest had gone further in the direction of episodes like 7 and ditched the computer plot entirely.

No seriously what would even be the point of the show then?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Dexo posted:

If they needed a DC show I wish they had just kept Constantine instead, that clip makes me feel embarrassed for everyone involved.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The new season of Colony starts next Thursday.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Dexo posted:

My gosh, I was looking forward to this, now it just looks like some "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" 90s kids clone but without the heart or humor.

Is Shooter good?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes, it's not bad. Ryan Phillippe is killing it as the main guy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rocksicles posted:

Yes, it's not bad. Ryan Phillippe is killing it as the main guy.

That's interesting. The first time I ever liked him was on the first season of Secrets and Lies. I was thinking maybe his performance in that was an anomaly since I'd never liked him in anything else.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

That's interesting. The first time I ever liked him was on the first season of Secrets and Lies. I was thinking maybe his performance in that was an anomaly since I'd never liked him in anything else.

I guess he was incredibly close to being cast as Danny Rand for the Iron Fist show, he'd even tweeted cryptic picture of a dragon but something happened and he didn't get the gig.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Kraps posted:

My gosh, I was looking forward to this, now it just looks like some "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" 90s kids clone but without the heart or humor.

Is Shooter good?

I don't know, but I have no interest unless it's just this looped over and over
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvjJcaVJlH0

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

X-O posted:

Dunno man. I've really paid attention to him much in anything. Put it this way, I thought I would hate it and I don't.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

He was fun in Macgruber.

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.
Anyone watch Queen Sugar? I think it aired on Oprah's channel.

The first episode's atmosphere reminds me of Rectify.

JUICY HAMBUGAR fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 6, 2017

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

muscles like this! posted:

Who cares about Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul, CW has announced that they're rebooting CHARMED as a period piece set in the 70s.

Call me crazy but this actually sounds interesting.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Snak posted:

I can tell that it's a slow start, but the first 3 episodes of Person of Interest have been aggressively boring. Without trying to sound like a snobby dick, when does it get good? I'm used to shows that have bad starts before getting good, so I'm still keeping an open mind, but I kind of want to know how much more of this I'm in for...

It starts out as a standard procedural with some interesting B-plot, then the B-plot starts taking over the show. "When it gets good" really depends on how much you buy into the procedural part of things.

E: personally I watched it off and on for a couple of seasons, stopped because something else was on that timeslot (I think) and came back for season 5 at the insistence of my family who had kept with it and things were wonderfully insane by then so I caught back up.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Taboo starts next Tuesday. I can't wait to see Tom Hardy incomprehensibly mumble on TV.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

Anyone watch Queen Sugar? I think it aired on Oprah's channel.

The first episode's atmosphere reminds me of Rectify.

Yep! It can drag at times and sometimes get a little too generic family drama but for the most part I enjoyed it a lot. Great set of characters.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Pan Dulce posted:

Because TVIV voted Better Call Saul so highly, I just wanted to ask if it's really necessary to watch Breaking Bad to know what the gently caress is happening on it? There's just so much to catch up on...

You don't need to, but quite a few of the show's plot lines will feel inexplicable if you don't.

Edit: In the sense that you'll be wondering why they exist, or why the show's spending so much time on seemingly random side characters who never interact with the lead, rather than it being impossible to follow.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Taboo starts next Tuesday. I can't wait to see Tom Hardy incomprehensibly mumble on TV.

That and The Young Pope are the two new shows I'm looking forward to the most (January division).

But there's a lot of really cool poo poo coming down the pipeline this year.

* Godless (Soderbergh's new Netflix Western)
* Legion (Dan Stevens and Noah Hawley -- the guy who writes Fargo)
* The Santa Clarita Diet (Weeds + Zombies??? No-one actually knows. Also Timothy Olyphant)
* The Terror (Ridley Scott, Tobias Menzies)
* A Top Of The Lake sequel
* GLOW (Alison Brie, Jenji Kohan)
* Mindhunter (David Fincher, Anna Torv)
* Altered Carbon (Joel Kinnaman)
* The Tick and I Heart Dick are going to be Amazon series this year
* American Gods
* Counterpart (STARZ parallel universe show with a crazy loving cast -- JK Simmons, Harry Lloyd, Olivia Williams, Ulrich Thomson)
* Warrior (martial arts show from the Banshee guys)

Plus pilots with potential pick ups on:

* Roadside Picnic (Mathew Goode)
* The Book Of Strange New Things (Amazon)
* Happy! (Grant Morrison, Chris Meloni)

Plus there's the second half of Vice Principals, the final season of The Leftovers, planned adaptations of Cat's Cradle and Metropolis, new Mr. Robot, Orange Is The New Black, more Preacher, Better Call Saul and American Crime.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They're making a show of 'Happy!'? That's super cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Tick was pretty good. I laughed my arse off.

• Locked thread