Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Honestly, with the multiverse gone and comic Eggman already being a more sinister character compared to his game counterpart, does Nega even have anything unique to offer the story at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3oZhEL2F_s

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Why is he called Eggman Nega and not Neggaman

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Why is he called Eggman Nega and not Neggaman

I believe H.P. Lovecraft had a cat by that name. :v:

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
Hey, so I recently read through the Silver Saga arc of Sonic Universe, and was surprised to see the alternate universe be based on Other-M, Ian's old fan comic. It made me think, has anyone else on this board read Other-M? Did Ian say what his plans were for the comic?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

CowboyAndy posted:

Hey, so I recently read through the Silver Saga arc of Sonic Universe, and was surprised to see the alternate universe be based on Other-M, Ian's old fan comic. It made me think, has anyone else on this board read Other-M? Did Ian say what his plans were for the comic?

I just looked it up and holy poo poo I know what I'm posting in the bad webcomics thread.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ian has mostly disowned that comic.

But it's not the same universe so much as it contains a few shout outs to where Ian got his start.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
290 was pretty fun, had some cute moments.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

How many chili dogs can I buy with a copy of sonic #17

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Okay I'm trying to tell some uninitiated folks about how utterly nuts Ken Penders' run was, but I can't find the best version of the pic with like a hundred different Knuckles clones (the one that had them labeled as like, "cyber Knuckles," "Knuckles with one eye," "purple Knuckles," etc) and I can't find the page of Tails turning into some horrifying muscle-beast at all. Does anyone have those handy?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Okay I'm trying to tell some uninitiated folks about how utterly nuts Ken Penders' run was, but I can't find the best version of the pic with like a hundred different Knuckles clones (the one that had them labeled as like, "cyber Knuckles," "Knuckles with one eye," "purple Knuckles," etc) and I can't find the page of Tails turning into some horrifying muscle-beast at all. Does anyone have those handy?

To be fair Titan Tails was Romy Chacon (who was former editor JG Gabrie under a pen name), not Penders

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The former is the first result if you GIS "Ken Penders Knuckles".

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Look up 'Titan Tails' for the second one.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wheat Loaf posted:

The former is the first result if you GIS "Ken Penders Knuckles".

For some reason I was only finding the unedited version of it a while back, but it came up this time. Thanks!

YggiDee posted:

Look up 'Titan Tails' for the second one.

Totally forgot that he was "Titan Tails" and kept googling "Super Tails," "Tails muscle," "giant Tails," etc.

e: Also I kind of assumed Titan Tails was Penders because a) it's the exact kind of bizarre DeviantArt poo poo he trades in and b) one of his Most Definitely Not Knuckles characters shows up on the page, but I guess not.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Is it Athair? Cuz he was created by Mike Gallagher, not Penders, way back in the first Tails mini-series. Penders just "adopted" him.

Interesting fact about that - Penders was bragging about how he was getting lots of support from other creators who worked on the book, and was "negotiating" with Gallagher about the use of Athair.

Apparently he wasn't as supportive as he thought because he can't use him and had to create a new Guardian to fill his role in the backstory.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Athair appeared in Sonic Underground and for years there was a really persistent story that he was voiced by Sean Connery of all people, but I'm pretty sure it was Maurice LaMarche doing a Connery impression.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Is it Athair? Cuz he was created by Mike Gallagher, not Penders, way back in the first Tails mini-series. Penders just "adopted" him.

Interesting fact about that - Penders was bragging about how he was getting lots of support from other creators who worked on the book, and was "negotiating" with Gallagher about the use of Athair.

Apparently he wasn't as supportive as he thought because he can't use him and had to create a new Guardian to fill his role in the backstory.

Ha, serves him right.

Regarding Titan Tails, reminder that that wasn't the first time Tails got swole af

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One of the first ever Internet arguments I ever got into was when I was 12 and argued that Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was the best cartoon of the three against a guy who I'm pretty sure was twice my age and insisted that SatAM was best because it was DARK and SERIOUS and GRITTY.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

SatAM was bad and the fact that I think any of the characters are cool now is a testament to the artists they have now and to Ian Flynn's writing ability. I'm so used to how Sally looks now that I've completely forgotten she used to just be a naked female woman with a squirrel head and fur.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 5, 2017

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
I rewatched SatAM recently and I think what stuck out to me most was how little roboticization actually seemed to affect anything. For the most part it exists as a kind of consequence macguffin for what happens if the heroes get caught, otherwise Robians are never present besides Uncle Chuck. We're lead to believe that almost all the local population has been roboticized, but thankfully Robotnik only ever attacks with guilt-free Swat-bots.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
As someone who had to suffer under the yoke of Penders growing up, I'm glad that today's kids are getting comics that at least sort of resemble the games they're supposed to be about.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Eggman's warships have been designed like flying egg cartons since Sonic 2

and people still act like the name has nothing to do with how he presents himself

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, Sonic goons, I've been reading Chris Sims' articles about these books the last couple of months, and the most recent one raised a point I'd never heard so want some confirmation of: Did Sega really make one of their post-Sonic-crying edicts that the male characters can't wear clothing? Cuz that's going beyond even the Donald Duck wearing a towel paradox to just mind-boggling.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gaz-L posted:

OK, Sonic goons, I've been reading Chris Sims' articles about these books the last couple of months, and the most recent one raised a point I'd never heard so want some confirmation of: Did Sega really make one of their post-Sonic-crying edicts that the male characters can't wear clothing? Cuz that's going beyond even the Donald Duck wearing a towel paradox to just mind-boggling.

This is false at least. Bunch of male characters wear outfits. All the male Egg bosses for example.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Yeah I've never seen anything about how characters can't wear clothes. Though admittedly it's much rarer to see

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think in the case of some of the redesigns for the new universe, like Antoine, they noticed the common design trend and incorporated it for a lot of the principle characters.

And the fandom being fandom decided this meant evil Sega was responsible.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I imagine that if there is any such edict, it's that characters who originated in the games can't wear clothing. So that would basically just be Sonic, Tails and Knuckles.

I don't think Geoffrey St. John wore clothes aside from his boots and his beret, but I feel like he was a Ken Penders character so he's not in it any more.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I was referring more to how characters like Antoine went from wearing a full jacket to just having a belt and a sword strap.

But it's moot, cuz the Egg Bosses all wear clothes like previously stated, and King Acorn is wearing about as much as Antoine used to.

This is a weird conversation.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The cartoon animals clothes thing was always weird, with Sally at the core of it. There is a rather uncomfortable gender roles thing going on with the naked, default gendered male primary characters and having (at this point, as near as I can recall) all the female characters wearing clothes.

Sally's old design never bothered me, maybe just because I wasn't sexually attracted to cartoon animals from videogame tie-ins (which, I know, is probably actually a minority position in the larger Sonic fanbase). I just didn't think the funny animals had anything to cover.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

New issue came out yesterday, I'd say the arc was good. Aleah Baker should write more.

Also the 2017 FCBD issue got cancelled in favor of a Riverdale tie-in. At least is was just going to be a reprint 288 (Genesis of a Hero part 1), so :shrug:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Chaotix are fun. It was a cool little arc.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

the next issue of the main comic is what I'm most interested in personally.

Yeah, more game adaptations, but Knuckles is a very dynamic character under Ian's pen and I want to see how how he handles his and Sonic's first meeting.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Yes, and will he delve into Knuckles's mysterious past and extended ancestry? Will love finally blossom between the rivals as they fight against the evil Dr. Robotnik?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Eggman will trick Knuckles and they will fight.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Will Athair have any words of wisdom to share concerning this?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No, he's no longer part of the continuity.

what are you driving at?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think it's:

Screaming Idiot posted:

As someone who had to suffer under the yoke of Penders growing up, I'm glad that today's kids are getting comics that at least sort of resemble the games they're supposed to be about.

But the truth is Tails will never let Knuckles steal his boyfriend.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 16, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Turns out this thread title was wrong all along, huh.

• Locked thread