Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Barudak posted:

I loooove Resi 5 but I also beat that game 4+ times in Co-Op with people on the couch next to me so I'm extremely biased. In single player its just worse Resi 4 and a lot of things just feel like a step back mechanically compared to 4.

It also doesn't help that Resi 4's aesthetic of Italo-Horror is fantastic and atmospheric (well for the first 2/3rds anyway) while Resi 5's entire game up until the swamp feels like it could be Blood on the Sand or any other bland 3rd person shooter of its era. Like, it may have the single most boring oil-rig in gaming history.

I too love RE5. I am always down for playing coop. I would probably stop doing whatever it was I am doing just to pop back into it. I love that it starts off kind of slow, but by the time you get to around chapter 4 or so, it just goes off the wall crazy and it especially goes all in with the Wesker stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I definitely found myself missing some quality-of-life changes from RE5/6 in my most recent replay of RE4, most notably the lack of a stomp/stab on downed enemies. It's not even something you can point at as being 'too actiony' as it's been a feature in the Silent Hill series ever since the very first game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I too love RE5. I am always down for playing coop. I would probably stop doing whatever it was I am doing just to pop back into it. I love that it starts off kind of slow, but by the time you get to around chapter 4 or so, it just goes off the wall crazy and it especially goes all in with the Wesker stuff.

Yeah the game is bland while whatever the name of "You're going to be late for the party" guy is the primary antagonist. Once he's dead though, its all swamp muder, boulder running, licker murder fun to the end.

Honestly the worst part is the interminable rail shooting sequence I can not believe I played through that many times.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

4 holds up much better than 5 and 6 in level and enemy design.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Im mostly hesitant to play it again because I'm so fond of it. I kind of want to preserve the memory of it being as cool as it was when it came out. I played the first hour or 2 back when the 360 version came out and it was feeling pretty dated. i also still want to play it again just because it has so much variety and memorable places so I dunno. I kind of regret not grabbing it on sale last week.

I actually really liked 5 too, but much less so playing it recently.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I enjoyed RE4 more than the first time when I replayed it earlier this year, since I don't completely suck at that style of game anymore.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I don't know if I like RE4's adaptive difficulty, as every time I buy a rerelease and play it I feel like I'm simultaneously doing better and worse than how I was when I played the last rerelease.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Weirdest thing for me was first time through I remember having difficulty with the levels but breezing through the bosses, this time it was the other way around.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I remember having the most trouble with the QTE's, but thinking it was such a cool idea. never thought it would become a thing people hate so much, myself included.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The last time I played RE4 I died like 20 times to the jet ski at the very end of the game of all things. Not sure what kept screwing me over with that.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 9, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think the most times I died were to the blind claw guys. All of them. I know you're supposed to distract them and shoot them in back but they never do what I expect them too.
Oh and I kept loving up the bit where you're being pelted by the catapults somehow.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
One thing RE5 has over 4 is the weapon stash. Sure, the attache case in 4 is better than 5's 3x3 grid inventory but you can't really build a complete gun collection because eventually you gotta sell your old, upgraded guns if you want to make space for new ones. In 5 you just take with you whatever you need and leave the rest at home. Getting all weapons and fully upgrading them is what always made me come back to the game, even though in the end I never really used most of the weapons.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
hunk's finally gonna make another canon appearance, i can feel it

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

John Luebke posted:

One thing RE5 has over 4 is the weapon stash. Sure, the attache case in 4 is better than 5's 3x3 grid inventory but you can't really build a complete gun collection because eventually you gotta sell your old, upgraded guns if you want to make space for new ones. In 5 you just take with you whatever you need and leave the rest at home. Getting all weapons and fully upgrading them is what always made me come back to the game, even though in the end I never really used most of the weapons.

That's the one thing I really dislike about 4, kinda wish you could just leave your old guns with the Merchant. I love the starting weapons but they're just statistically worse than later ones, especially the shotgun and handgun.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

4 but with being able to stash them would be best, I hated how restrictive the inventory was in 5. At least you get a decent amount of money for selling them in 4.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

That's the one thing I really dislike about 4, kinda wish you could just leave your old guns with the Merchant. I love the starting weapons but they're just statistically worse than later ones, especially the shotgun and handgun.

A classic RE item box just to store weapons (Anything else would probably completly break the game's difficulty.) would've been the perfect solution.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Policenaut posted:

Planning on playing RE7 in VR? Well, Capcom has just the add-on peripheral for you!

It's a candle! The "Resident Evil 7 4D Candle" is $16 and smells like "blood and timber," creepy ghost smoke face not included.

This is the most ridiculous thing ever, but if VR takes off, I want this stuff to take off too. drat it.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I predict it becoming a minor trend until a string of goons die in apartment fires after their cat knocks over the candles while they are immersed in their VR game.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Mogomra posted:

This is the most ridiculous thing ever, but if VR takes off, I want this stuff to take off too. drat it.

Scent is the last wild frontier in entertainment immersion.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I really like how weirdly enthusiastic Capcom has been with the VR stuff for RE7. A "blood and timber" scented candle is just so earnest I can't poke fun at it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Couldn't you probably get a more immersive and realistic VR smell for the Bakers house by putting your dog in your lap and aiming it's butthole at your face?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

veni veni veni posted:

Couldn't you probably get a more immersive and realistic VR smell for the Bakers house by putting your dog in your lap and aiming it's butthole at your face?

they already released RE6 tho

Electromax
May 6, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Our pets try to provide this experience for every game.

I hope RE7 is legit terrifying. The only moments I would say RE bordered on actually scary were parts of the REmake (Lisa and her house, Crimson Heads) and the freezer lab in RE4 with those mouthbreathing creeps. And maybe the first time Chainsaw man got in your face in RE4 and you didn't know what to do.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I had mixed feeling about Beginning hours scariness. I didn't find it all that scary but it drips atmosphere so much that I thought it made up for it. It definitely has a sense of unease, and the VR application is no slouch. Probably the best I've seen. Like, it's just so convincingly gross and stuff like the blood looks so drat real in VR it really brings you into it. The only thing that really got me was the ghost on the stairs because it didn't happen till the second time I played it though. The rest of it I thought was more uncomfortable (in a good way) than terrifying.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Electromax posted:

Our pets try to provide this experience for every game.

I hope RE7 is legit terrifying. The only moments I would say RE bordered on actually scary were parts of the REmake (Lisa and her house, Crimson Heads) and the freezer lab in RE4 with those mouthbreathing creeps. And maybe the first time Chainsaw man got in your face in RE4 and you didn't know what to do.

Don't forget RE4 oven guy as well.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
About half way through my "play all the RE before 7 comes out because i have no life" marathon and i have re4, rev1, re5, rev2(which i havent played before) and re6 to go and 7 is out in two weeks. I should have planned this better.

Rankings so far:
Re0 - still horseshit but new wesker mode makes up for it.

REmake - still loving great, steam port is top notch.

RE2 - still amazing after 19 years. Holds up well, gimme that remake.

Outbreak 1&2 - first time playing, i could see these being fun online back in the day. Feel abit ropey now. Controls broke me. But holy gently caress a zombie elephant. also the random character sounds can be hilarious if said in the right order. Good fun.

RE3 - Enjoyed my time and died alot somehow, still way shorter than i remember, plus the map layout and progression feels really tiny compared to re1 & 2, which is something i did not notice back in the day.

RE survivor - lol. Forgot it makes nikolai a canon re3 survivor. gently caress this game, i shot that motherfucker out of the sky.

RECVX HD - holy poo poo this game has not survived the passage of time. I played the ps3 version and oh boy now i know why its not on steam. I should have just run the cube version on dolphin. Fmvs look like garbage and get slowdowns. The new lighting is a good idea but i still had to pump my brightness up to see all my herbs. Also way shorter and smaller like re3 than i remember too. Its kinda poo poo apart from the wesker scenes.

Umbrella Chronicles - kinda impressed at first until i hit the re3 section and it was half arsed and reused outbreak assets. Wesker shuting down umbrella after taking on two disco tyrants is a thing.

Darkside Chronicles - i was expecting the same but holy poo poo this turned out great, even the re2 and cv sections were awesome and this would have been the best version of CV too if it still kept the wesker chris fight. Also lol at krauser and his whole backstory, his entire deal turns out to just be Matrix v Bennet. He needs to let off some steam.

Thank you for reading. I start re4 tonight.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jan 7, 2017

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
RE3 never seeemed like a proper numbered sequel to me. It is basically RE 2.5. Code Veronica always seemed to me like it should have carried the title of RE3 since it used 3D backgrounds for the first time and carried on the Wesker/Chris story while a lot of stuff from 3 doesn't add much to the mythos.

RE does have one of the most interestingly convoluted stories of all gaming.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The perpetual camera shake really kills Darkside chronicles for me, its really hard to aim in that game.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Alteisen posted:

The perpetual camera shake really kills Darkside chronicles for me, its really hard to aim in that game.

Yeah the Birkin boss fight in the sewers is loving impossible using a controller. Took me about 10 times to beat it I think. Rest of the game is aces though!

I'm also happy that CV isn't a numbered title as then I can pretend it doesn't exist. I honestly think Silent Hill on PS1 has dated better than that game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've said it in other threads but a VR remake of the chronicles game would be amazing to me. Personally I had a blast with them.

That very brief period where developers were making what amounted to extra effort light gun games was heaven.too bad they all sold terribly.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

iirc RE:CV was originally going to be titled RE3 with the latter being a spin-off. It didn't happen because of a deal Capcom had with Sony.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RE3 added the quick-turn, which was probably the most significant addition in that game to the series.

I think they also did a good job of making it fairly intuitive, especially compared to something like the quick-turn from Silent Hill 1 from the same year.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Darkside's biggest crime is having most of the cutscenes and dialogue sections built into the gameplay. For a game built around replayability and score improvement, having minutes of unskippable non-action totally murders it. It's a shame cause it's a really fun game to play through but absolute hell to try and max out.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44fq47rHSEQ

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

veni veni veni posted:

I've said it in other threads but a VR remake of the chronicles game would be amazing to me. Personally I had a blast with them.

That very brief period where developers were making what amounted to extra effort light gun games was heaven.too bad they all sold terribly.

Dolphin VR allows you to play them in VR.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Glum posted:

https://newrepublic.com/article/121185/japans-deaf-composer-wasnt-what-he-seemed
That's the full story of the composer's fraud if anyone is interested.

Thank you for posting that. I had always wanted to find something in English talking about it in detail.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

GUI posted:

iirc RE:CV was originally going to be titled RE3 with the latter being a spin-off. It didn't happen because of a deal Capcom had with Sony.

Long standing misconception. RE3 wasn't supposed to be 3, but neither was CV.

The actual game that was in development as RE3 started on PS1 but soon moved towards development on the PS2 after the console was first shown. That of course delayed it's development, so Capcom decided to increase the budget and size of the team that was working on a spin-off for the PS1 and made that RE3 instead. The original RE3 became the RE4 project and went through it's own development hell, spawning DMC in the process, changing platforms again and in the end produced the RE4 we all know and love today.

CV was a sort of apology from Capcom to Sega for not porting the second game to the Saturn and it was never supposed to be a numbered title.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
The first version of re3 was hunk on a cruise ship. Nemesis was gonna be random survivor spin off called last escape instead of jill. There was a version of re3 about umbrella scientists, i think.

That re4 that turned into dmc was gonna be about spencers two sons who become super human, and you play the brother called tony. Guess it explains why they brought wesker back in a way.

Some of the left field ideas for the series are really something, might explain how dino crisis ended up as it is. They are all on the wiki for fun bed time reading.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Holy hell is Survivor 2 a terrible game. Like it's mostly loading screens broken up by what might be the worst first person shooting I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

First person Resi doesn't have a great track record, no.....