Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
YESSSSS ALL NIGHT LONG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Vampiro, the only manager smart enough to say "nah, just let him kill me, it's cool"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

StarkRavingMad posted:

Vampiro, the only manager smart enough to say "nah, just let him kill me, it's cool"
"i'm a loving vampire, it's good"

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I love my boy Mack and I'm not a body-shaming type, but ... I hope he put in some extra cardio work before taping his Iron Man match.

StarkRavingMad, without spoilers, how does he hold up in that?

E: Maybe I'm just concern-trolling, but the Puma/Mundo All Night Long was an instant classic and Mack has a high bar to clear.

Benne fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 5, 2017

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Benne posted:

I love my boy Mack and I'm not a body-shaming type, but ... I hope he put in some extra cardio work before taping his Iron Man match.

StarkRavingMad, without spoilers, how does he hold up in that?

E: Maybe I'm just concern-trolling, but the Puma/Mundo All Night Long was an instant classic and Mack has a high bar to clear.

I was not at the taping for it (I think that was the last day of the weekend I missed), so I don't know for sure. I heard it was good though!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Mack was capable of doing some really long, physical fights with Cage, the Ultimalucha street fight went for nearly 20 minutes if I remember correctly.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

I was not at the taping for it (I think that was the last day of the weekend I missed), so I don't know for sure. I heard it was good though!

I was there. It was good.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

StarkRavingMad posted:

I laughed my rear end off when I heard that. Definitely an instant Top 5 wrestling hometown right there.

This was a very good episodes. A lot of stories started moving or moved along and we had some exciting wrestling. I hope we get some sort of update on some other things (Mantanza, the police storyline) soon, too.

JT Jag posted:

Predictable heel finish.
Yeah, sorta. But that means it will even more surprising if the unpredicatable happens and the Mack does not win against all odds. :v:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

StarkRavingMad posted:

One down side to having one of the announcers also be an evil manager is that it's really easy for people you piss off to find you.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The table bit was pretty awesome in the Mariposa vs Sexy Star match.

Mascarita Sagrada getting pushed?! Incredible. I hope he accepts this tribe of junkies.

The Reptilian Illuminati in their war against DRUGS.

The LUCHASAURUS chant is the best. THE BEST.

They saved him! OH NO! Drago, your friends!

"Pero.."
"No butts"
"ese juego de palabras no aplica en espaņol..."
these friendship handshakes are the best.

Kinda bummed that this isn't for the title, but i'm cool with seeing what kinda match it'll be next week. Hope it's not another cage match.

JESUS. Vampiro, how ghetto do you think Mack is????

Oh poo poo. Johnny Mundo's All Night Long 2! But, boo, I thought we'd get some Pentagon Dark on the "mid-season" finale.

Puma Dark vs Mil will own when we get to it.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Was I just projecting, or did I hear the Purple Cobras *clap clap hiss* chant during the trios match?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

KatWithHands posted:

Was I just projecting, or did I hear the Purple Cobras *clap clap hiss* chant during the trios match?

You totally did hear it! The Temple crowd picked that up as the cheer for Kobra Moon and the snakepeople crew.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Does anyone know how long this midseason hiatus will go?

I'm a shameless mark for this show, but I also know the history of TV shows in trouble, and a short-notice hiatus is never a good sign. Apparently they're just doing it to stretch out Season 3 since the Season 4 tapings got pushed back, but ... will those tapings even happen? They've been pushed back at least three times by this point.

The more I read the tea leaves, the more I'm convinced Season 3 is the end for LU. :smith:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Benne posted:

Does anyone know how long this midseason hiatus will go?

I'm a shameless mark for this show, but I also know the history of TV shows in trouble, and a short-notice hiatus is never a good sign. Apparently they're just doing it to stretch out Season 3 since the Season 4 tapings got pushed back, but ... will those tapings even happen? They've been pushed back at least three times by this point.

The more I read the tea leaves, the more I'm convinced Season 3 is the end for LU. :smith:

I'll be REAL surprised if S4 doesn't happen. Everyone I've heard in charge (Van Wagenen, etc) doesn't seem to have any fear about it, and that recent El Rey statement about 2017 talked about how they want to double down on their original programming and still talked about LU as its flagship show.

But they have talked about season 4 as being something of a make-or-break in terms of needing more eyeballs on the product. I wouldn't be surprised if the delay is them trying to work more distribution deals, which in turn could affect the budget, and they might want all that nailed down before the new season goes into production. They might also be working on syndication deals (since they have 100 episodes taped now), which could have a huge budget effect. They made a real big deal of the 100th episode at the taping, even giving everyone special t-shirts.

They don't have to be in any hurry. By my count, they have episodes in the can until late June or early July even without a break. If the break is 4-6 weeks, then the new tapings start not too long after the old season ends, which seems to be kind of how they like to do things. The other thing to remember is that they ABSOLUTELY do not want to be doing tapings during the summer. Oh my god, do they ever not want to be doing tapings in the summer. Aside from people getting heatstroke while standing in line for hours, you have to remember that the Temple is actually the shithole abandoned warehouse that it appears to be and there's no air conditioning and the only ventilation is them running like pipe fans out the windows at the top. They can't even have big fans going because it would gently caress up the sound mix. So if it is even a little bit warm out it is ungodly hot in the Temple. And you have fans packed in shoulder to shoulder and a lot of body heat and then the wrestlers trying to do their thing for four to five hours. So if they weren't ready to go early in the year, and they want to do only 4 episodes per weekend instead of 5-6 (which EVW said is the plan on a podcast because it would be less burnout on the wrestlers, staff, and fans) which will stretch the taping schedule out more, and they don't want to run into late spring/summer in LA, then I'm not at all surprised they pushed tapings back to fall.

One other thing to remember is that they did take a three or four week break back in the middle of season 1, although that skipped the holiday weeks (which they didn't do this time around). So it may just be that they normally want a mid-season break, they just didn't do it in the middle of S2 because that was a short one anyway.

I believe things are about to air slightly out of order. The All Night Long match isn't going to be next week, it'll be the first match back after the break, which will give them a little time to drum up some hype for it. If next week is instead the taping I'm thinking of (which I was at) then the ending to it may be indicative that they planned this break even back when they were filming.

Keep in mind I don't have any inside info aside from being at the shows, so I could be totally wrong. But from what I've heard on podcasts and social media and reading between the lines from what little I know, I'm very confident in a season 4. Like, remember they've also actually signed new people for S4 already. My concerns are whether they potentially lose any of the talent by pushing tapings back, and what happens AFTER season 4 if they can't get it to where they want it.

It's a little weird to follow LU on the business side because we're used to the wrestling world where the carny motherfuckers talk about everything. The people really in charge here are TV people with a corporate-rear end legal team and they just don't say poo poo at all to give you real hope until a deal is done, because it doesn't even occur to them that they should. It's like when they did those Cricket wireless live events and everyone was like "why didn't they promote these until a week in advance? Is this the touring they were planning? WHAT IS HAPPENING" and they didn't bother to explain anything until someone pressed Van Wagenen about it on a podcast months later and he went "oh that was just a last-minute promotional thing Cricket set up, that wasn't what we meant by touring, it all went very well and everyone was happy." And it's like, to TV people, it doesn't occur to them that fans will read a ton into stuff like that or mid-season breaks because they're used to people caring about a show in a "TV show" kind of way and not in the "weird slightly obsessive pick at everything" way we wrestling fans do.

Anyway, that's a lot of words to say "tranquilo, don't panic," but you know.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 6, 2017

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

these friendship handshakes are the best.
I love how those are shot. :allears:

quote:

JESUS. Vampiro, how ghetto do you think Mack is????
That commentary was certainly something.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

StarkRavingMad posted:

I love the moments when you can see Melissa Santos thinking "I have the best loving job"

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Alright, so what's the best way to see all of Lucha Underground from start to finish right now? Do any of the streaming services offer the entire backlog, or is iTunes the only way I can do it? I saw most of S2, some of S1 and none of S3.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

SRM is not kidding about the temple getting hot, it was in the mid to upper 70s outside and was hot as gently caress in the Temple. I was sweating my rear end off standing in the balcony. The lights generate a lot of heat and like he said there's no circulation. It really is just a random dirty warehouse

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

thelazyblank posted:

Alright, so what's the best way to see all of Lucha Underground from start to finish right now? Do any of the streaming services offer the entire backlog, or is iTunes the only way I can do it? I saw most of S2, some of S1 and none of S3.

iTunes is your only legal way, sadly enough. Sling and Fubo have DVR services and I think Sling lets you watch stuff from like the previous week, but neither of them keep backlogs.

With iTunes you can either get a season pass that has the whole season at a discount or buy each episode. If you're going that route, you may just be able to sort of fill in the blanks of what you missed from S1 and 2 with individual episodes (and maybe not bother with the really early season 1 stuff) and then grab the season pass for S3. I think the season pass for S3 is like $40 which would be cheaper than subscribing to any of the streaming services for the remaining 6 or 7 months the season is going to run anyway, and will get you all the back episodes from this season as well.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Xand_Man posted:

I love the moments when you can see Melissa Santos thinking "I have the best loving job"

It's even bled over into other places:

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

StarkRavingMad posted:

iTunes is your only legal way, sadly enough. Sling and Fubo have DVR services and I think Sling lets you watch stuff from like the previous week, but neither of them keep backlogs.

With iTunes you can either get a season pass that has the whole season at a discount or buy each episode. If you're going that route, you may just be able to sort of fill in the blanks of what you missed from S1 and 2 with individual episodes (and maybe not bother with the really early season 1 stuff) and then grab the season pass for S3. I think the season pass for S3 is like $40 which would be cheaper than subscribing to any of the streaming services for the remaining 6 or 7 months the season is going to run anyway, and will get you all the back episodes from this season as well.

Sling has all of season 3 up on Demand

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

The Senator Giroux posted:

Sling has all of season 3 up on Demand

Oh poo poo really? My bad, they didn't used to offer that. I apologize for the misinformation then

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What's with that gnarly fuckin scar on Vibora's chest?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/LuchaElRey/status/817777834496167936

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

StarkRavingMad posted:

And it's like, to TV people, it doesn't occur to them that fans will read a ton into stuff like that or mid-season breaks because they're used to people caring about a show in a "TV show" kind of way and not in the "weird slightly obsessive pick at everything" way we wrestling fans do.
Try reading the Westworld thread sometime if you think there's a difference.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

"Interesting"

As much as he usually gets a lot of poo poo for.. well, the things he does, Matt Striker's a surprisingly good fit for Lucha Underground. It may be that I haven't watched enough to get really sick of him, but his nerdery and him trying to put every single thing over is sort of what the show needs.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

thelazyblank posted:

"Interesting"

As much as he usually gets a lot of poo poo for.. well, the things he does, Matt Striker's a surprisingly good fit for Lucha Underground. It may be that I haven't watched enough to get really sick of him, but his nerdery and him trying to put every single thing over is sort of what the show needs.

There are a few times where it's been eyeroll-worthy, but most of the time it works in a campy way. And I like the way both of them sell what and how they know, leaving the audience at home as the only people with full "knowledge" of what's going on.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

harperdc posted:

There are a few times where it's been eyeroll-worthy, but most of the time it works in a campy way. And I like the way both of them sell what and how they know, leaving the audience at home as the only people with full "knowledge" of what's going on.

Yeah, that's one of my favorite things, too. It lets the home viewer feel smarter than the commentators, which is a good thing for the audience. It also lets the commentators echo the reactions of the live crowd, who never have any clue what the hell is going on.

It feels to me like Striker and Vampiro are almost parodies of wrestling commentators. If you made a movie about a fake wrestling promotion, you'd want one overly-smarky nerd making dumb references and one big crazy ex-wrestling psycho who inexplicably become friends. Not saying that Striker and Vamp are doing that on purpose, it's very much Striker being Striker, but it fits LU better than other places. Watching him do commentary on a serious show is so much more painful.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/MrGMSI_BCage/status/819062976170762241

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Good stuff, but is this pre or post Infinity Gauntlet?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Good stuff, but is this pre or post Infinity Gauntlet?

Obviously pre, otherwise he'd be throwing shoroyukens at the guy in real life.

In other news MID SEASON FINALE TONIGHT! Notably, this is not the Mack/Mundo All Night Long match, but instead:

https://twitter.com/LuchaElRey/status/819227394565230592

For those that don't follow spoilers, I'll say this one non-spoiler thing (since it won't air): they had to shoot this match twice, because the first time they had to stop it in the middle to take Matanza to the hospital.

Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009
Are they for sure taking a break after tonight, and if so for how long?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ghidzilla posted:

Are they for sure taking a break after tonight, and if so for how long?

They are for sure taking a break after tonight. They haven't said how long yet although most people I've seen with any educated guesses are thinking 4-6 weeks. I think back in season 1, the mid-season break was only two weeks, so it could be shorter. From what I know, they're going to be showing re-runs of some of the top episodes during the break.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

StarkRavingMad posted:

Obviously pre, otherwise he'd be throwing shoroyukens at the guy in real life.

In other news MID SEASON FINALE TONIGHT! Notably, this is not the Mack/Mundo All Night Long match, but instead:

https://twitter.com/LuchaElRey/status/819227394565230592

For those that don't follow spoilers, I'll say this one non-spoiler thing (since it won't air): they had to shoot this match twice, because the first time they had to stop it in the middle to take Matanza to the hospital.

That non-spoiler raises so many questions and stuff. Glad/hope he's okay but also i can't handle the irony of taking a competitor to the hospital in a "death" match.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

That non-spoiler raises so many questions and stuff. Glad/hope he's okay but also i can't handle the irony of taking a competitor to the hospital in a "death" match.

I'll say more about what happened after it airs tonight just in case they somehow merge footage of the two tapings or something. But there was no lasting damage and Cobb was fine at the next set of tapings (which was about a month later), so you don't have to worry that you're going to see a dude cripple himself or anything.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Is this when Matanza Goldberged himself on a window or something?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Is this when Matanza Goldberged himself on a window or something?

Yup.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I wonder if the aired match will have footage from both.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

sticklefifer posted:

I wonder if the aired match will have footage from both.

I've been wondering that too. If there was a spot they liked better from the first match they could certainly edit it into the second. I doubt it would be very noticeable unless they include the part where he becomes a blood fountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Hell yeah Lorenzo Lamas is back

• Locked thread