Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I posted this in the Toku thread as well but pictures of the Kyuranger cast have surfaced recently. It seems that Red, Green, Yellow, Orange and Silver are human while the others are in-suit characters (though kind of like the Gokaigers apparently none of them are actually from Earth):

Also here are the civilian names of our new rangers:

Red: Lucky
Blue: Garu
Green: Hami
Black: Champ
Yellow: Spada
Orange: Stinger
Gold: Balance
Silver: Rei Naga
Pink: Raptor 283

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Inkspot posted:

He's supposed to be a swordfish, so... Pisces? Seems like a weird choice to base the sentai with nine rangers off of twelve (or thirteen) constellations, but I approve of Silver using the rest of the fabric they didn't use for Kyoryuger.

There's far more than twelve constellations. They don't end with the zodiac. Please watch some Saint Seiya.

Also, constellations-wise...
-Red: Leo
-Orange: Scorpio
-Blue: Lupus
-Gold: Libra
-Black: Taurus
-Silver: Ophiuchus
-Green: Chameleon
-Pink: Aquila
-Yellow: Dorado (not Pisces, the swordfish has its own constellation)

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Whoops. Just took it for granted that they'd all be astrological signs. Should have paid more attention to some of the others besides silver, black, and orange.

Saint Seiya would be good to revisit, though. Don't think I ever made it more than a dozen episodes in. I watched Ronin Warriors instead... :ughh:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Blaze Dragon posted:

Please watch some Saint Seiya.

This is good advice without context. It's like if Sailor Moon was a Fist of the North Star derivative, and it has probably the hypest theme song. Saint Seiya Omega, the sequel series, is less good, but the first season has a really nice remix of Pegasus Fantasy, the original op.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Please watch some Saint Seiya.

Alternatively play the PS4 fighting game. It was on Sale a couple weeks ago for $15.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Pegasus Fantasy is easily one of the best songs NoB ever did, so if you like his work in Super Sentai, might as well roll back to his earlier work when he was not quite as weird as he is now.

Can you imagine if they got NoB to do Kyuranger? :allears:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I watched it as Knights of the Zodiac when I was a kid and it had that kickass cover of I Ran by Bowling for Soup as it's intro music.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
First clip of Ninja Steel!, slightly repetitive with the Red Ranger having a missing dad but seems solid. Also that's our hero, the Orange Ranger as the supporting old guy.

Some better versed in sentai, is that red robot a thing? kinda reminds me of the ninja zords from season 3 of Mighty Morphin

Non Compos Mentis
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

First clip of Ninja Steel!, slightly repetitive with the Red Ranger having a missing dad but seems solid. Also that's our hero, the Orange Ranger as the supporting old guy.

Some better versed in sentai, is that red robot a thing? kinda reminds me of the ninja zords from season 3 of Mighty Morphin

That was the Red Rangers Zord in Ninninger http://powerrangers.wikia.com/wiki/Shuriken_Gattai_Shurikenjin?file=SSN-Shinobimaru.png
Odd choice to turn it into an actual character.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Even odder choice is the totally different head they gave him.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This looks like it's going to be the best kind of cheesy. Fingers crossed for the greatest Sentai -> Rangers improvement yet.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

PMush Perfect posted:

This looks like it's going to be the best kind of cheesy. Fingers crossed for the greatest Sentai -> Rangers improvement yet.

What would the current title holder be?
Goseiger -> Megaforce?
Ohranger -> Zeo?
Abaranger -> DinoThunder?
ToQger -> Literally Nothing?

Like nobody has a burning hatred for Gingaman or TimeRanger so the seasons people over 25 tend to hold up as the best production domestically are out.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I remember Zeo being my favorite season of Power Rangers, but what was so bad about Ohranger?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Star Man posted:

I remember Zeo being my favorite season of Power Rangers, but what was so bad about Ohranger?

OhRanger was a victim of circumstance.

It wanted to go back to the more serious military style Super Sentai of the mid to late 80s, and did so for the first few episodes.

And then the Sarin Gas attacks happened and they scrambled to make the show far more light hearted and kid friendly and the ratings tanked so they threw all of the toys at the problem which didn't fix anything

It's really jarring and weird. Zeo, on the flip side, is infinitely more coherent.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

What would the current title holder be?
Goseiger -> Megaforce?
Ohranger -> Zeo?
Abaranger -> DinoThunder?
ToQger -> Literally Nothing?

Like nobody has a burning hatred for Gingaman or TimeRanger so the seasons people over 25 tend to hold up as the best production domestically are out.
What kind of war crime is Goseiger that it's being negatively compared to Megaforce?

IMO, I'd say either Zeo or DinoThunder, but that's just because I'm a sucker for how they brought Tommy back and then poked fun at themselves all the while.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
https://twitter.com/PowerRangers/status/817545197848408065

Your source to spend over $200 on a Red Ranger shirt. I don't understand why the dude in green has a triceratops on his HoboRanger outfit like some kind of cheap knockoff product but also I don't understand designer fashion.

There's also a design that's full of Japanese text with IT'S MORPHIN TIME written in very small words on the bottom, because cultural appropriation should be a two-way street.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
What about Go-Onger -> RPM? Even if you prefer the goofy over the top slapstick, you have to admire what PR did with the footage.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

PMush Perfect posted:

What kind of war crime is Goseiger that it's being negatively compared to Megaforce?

People really hate Alata.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

What about Go-Onger -> RPM? Even if you prefer the goofy over the top slapstick, you have to admire what PR did with the footage.
At least RPM was trying. It wasn't good, but it was ambitious. It was in the Disney years, right? Best attempt in a long time to make something that didn't talk down to kids.

Or am I thinking of OO? They're all pretty interchangeable in my head.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I've heard OO is the absolute worst. RPM is the post apocalyptic series that's also fairly self aware.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Jungle Fury was also very good but I think that was mostly a straight adaptation.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Haven't finished JF yet but so far it feels Cookie Cutter Power Rangers, and very clearly taking mostly from the Sentai. Neat villain stuff, the show's not bad but its place is in obscurity.

I wonder what kind of random planet names we'll get this season. The destruction of Sentai Six and (i forget if planet or galaxy) Kamen Five was dope. I bet they're saving something like Toku Constellation for the next show.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The best adaptions are often the ones that invent new villains out of whole cloth. The only one of the Disney series that really stand out to me are DinoThunder and Ninja Storm, which both did that. And of course Zeo managed to go in interesting new directions because they were aware how limited Mondo & Family were and jammed Zedd & Rita back into it.

The scene where Zedd decides he needs to help Jason to spite the machines and Rita faints is one of my favorites.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 8, 2017

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Haven't finished JF yet but so far it feels Cookie Cutter Power Rangers, and very clearly taking mostly from the Sentai. Neat villain stuff, the show's not bad but its place is in obscurity.

I wonder what kind of random planet names we'll get this season. The destruction of Sentai Six and (i forget if planet or galaxy) Kamen Five was dope. I bet they're saving something like Toku Constellation for the next show.

The ramp up to the ending of JF, and the ending proper, are extremely good, apart from one real WTF moment which is so bizarre and out of place you can't help but go with it.

The second or third to last episode has one of the best series of one v one battles in the series IMO.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

greatn posted:

The ramp up to the ending of JF, and the ending proper, are extremely good, apart from one real WTF moment which is so bizarre and out of place you can't help but go with it.

The second or third to last episode has one of the best series of one v one battles in the series IMO.

Real talk; the scene where Casey storms Dai Shi's hideout alone is one of the most badass moments in PR history.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

At least RPM was trying. It wasn't good, but it was ambitious. It was in the Disney years, right? Best attempt in a long time to make something that didn't talk down to kids.

Or am I thinking of OO? They're all pretty interchangeable in my head.

It wasn't just in the Disney years, it was the last one before it went back to Saban which meant they more or less could do whatever they wanted since ratings were essentially irrelevant to them

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Well, I got time until Dragon Ball Super. Might as well check where I left off and watch one more episode. 23 "Fear and the Phantoms"

God I loving love the villain stuff in this show. And the Yellow Ranger's relationship with that old master dude. The characters are good. Her dance is fine, but just alter the first move to dab. I forgot how much I hate RJ's suit, it's just so... not sure, feels like wrapped on more bandages than needed when everyone else has cool white stylish suits. Lillie is so badass. The dancer stuff felt super disjointed.

Oh, so that's the setup for the Spirit Rangers. Awesome. Okay, I can do one more.

If I understand correctly, these rangers are entirely PR-originals, so this fight scene is also that way. This fight is really, really cool if only for the "chained masters control the evil rangers" gimmick. Choreography is also pretty fun tho, and the music owns. This brother stuff also kinda feels disjointed, but fun at least. Always nice when someone finds out a ranger's identity, tho. Jared, don't talk poo poo to your minions, there's been like half a dozen backstabs in your temple so far.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Well, I got time until Dragon Ball Super. Might as well check where I left off and watch one more episode. 23 "Fear and the Phantoms"

God I loving love the villain stuff in this show. And the Yellow Ranger's relationship with that old master dude. The characters are good. Her dance is fine, but just alter the first move to dab. I forgot how much I hate RJ's suit, it's just so... not sure, feels like wrapped on more bandages than needed when everyone else has cool white stylish suits. Lillie is so badass. The dancer stuff felt super disjointed.

Oh, so that's the setup for the Spirit Rangers. Awesome. Okay, I can do one more.

If I understand correctly, these rangers are entirely PR-originals, so this fight scene is also that way. This fight is really, really cool if only for the "chained masters control the evil rangers" gimmick. Choreography is also pretty fun tho, and the music owns. This brother stuff also kinda feels disjointed, but fun at least. Always nice when someone finds out a ranger's identity, tho. Jared, don't talk poo poo to your minions, there's been like half a dozen backstabs in your temple so far.

More fights than you would think are completely Power Rangers originals since season 2.

They got REAL good after Zeo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's really easy to tell which is original footage and which isn't by how shiny the suits are.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Also, by if the crowd is white, or if it's in That One Quarry.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

It wasn't just in the Disney years, it was the last one before it went back to Saban which meant they more or less could do whatever they wanted since ratings were essentially irrelevant to them

I think it was a bit of In Space v2, in that they weren't sure if there would be any more Power Rangers, period.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Basically put the show in jeopardy and you get magical things.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
In Space was more like private discussions among producers and higher-ups.

I only watched a couple episodes of RPM and thought "well this isn't for me," but it being good at all is amazing because it was only made at Bandai's insistence that they were owed one more season of toy commercials. It could have just been another Operation Overdrive where no shits are given.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

In Space was more like private discussions among producers and higher-ups.

I only watched a couple episodes of RPM and thought "well this isn't for me," but it being good at all is amazing because it was only made at Bandai's insistence that they were owed one more season of toy commercials. It could have just been another Operation Overdrive where no shits are given.

As bad as it was I'd still say Operation Overdrive is better than Megaforce as with the former they were at least trying to do something original even if it fell flat on it's face whereas with the latter I kind of got the sense that nobody involved really cared all that much (especially during the second half).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have to disagree.

Megaforce is rushed beyond compare and really not great, but at least it has reasons for being as bad as it is. It was an unwanted fusion of two different Sentai, one of which they REALLY didn't want to adapt and the other they really wanted to. The first half was nothing but new toys but that was entirely the fault of the source material, while the second half was just a mess in front of and behind the scenes.

But again, it had reasons for why it was the way it was. It also felt like a TV show, a real show that actually should have aired on TV. Sure, bland and kind of lacking, but still.

Overdrive has no such excuse. It has no reason to be as ball numbingly awful as it is. Overdrive is the worst aspects of the Disney Era distilled into one series. Every single sin, accumulated into one entity. It didn't fail because of any number of problems, it failed because no one cared and no one tried. It also barely felt like a real show, so little effort was put into making anything feel genuine. Just the little things like having tons of extras or believable sets, none of that was done.

It is made all the worse by how good it should have been. It had some fantastic ideas and concepts, especially one in particular, that are put to waste by a series that is so unfortunately done simply to meet a quota. There were no risks, there were no rewards. The action was awful, the acting was awful, the stories were awful.

In my opinion, Overdrive is far worse than any other season. It has next to no identity and nothing to really latch onto.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm going to admit I've never seen Megaforce, but Goseiger has a pretty bad reputation. Not Nininger bad, but down there somewhere. Whereas everybody fuckin' loves Gokaiger.

I always intended to watch it, just because I'm curious to see if Nu-Saban can hit that Old Saban nostalgia bone better than the "just missed the mark" level that Disney repeatedly did in things like putting Tommy in DinoThunder, or that one Overdrive special. From what I understand, fans of the dub wound up salty because Gokaiger's one big Zyuranger cameo has them getting their asses kicked, and the localization didn't bother to do anything to change that. One YouTuber made a video where the MMPR theme is pulled off with a record scratch and "gently caress YOUR CHILDHOOD" flashes on the screen while the monster of the day trashes the Zyuranger/MMPR.

I always was of the impression that the entire season was one long excuse slog to get to the Giant Super Team Up special.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
The biggest single problem with Megaforce/Super Megaforce is there's just no acknowledgement of the pirate theme at all. They have tricorn hat helmets, flintlocks and cutlasses and their mech is a giant red pirate ship. Absolutely nothing. Plus the segue from Megaforce to Super makes zero sense anyway. They'd have been better spending two seasons on Pirate Rangers, kids love pirates anyway.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Coq au Nandos posted:

The biggest single problem with Megaforce/Super Megaforce is there's just no acknowledgement of the pirate theme at all. They have tricorn hat helmets, flintlocks and cutlasses and their mech is a giant red pirate ship. Absolutely nothing. Plus the segue from Megaforce to Super makes zero sense anyway. They'd have been better spending two seasons on Pirate Rangers, kids love pirates anyway.

If they had their way they would have.

Or they would have done Gokaiger first. They were not allowed either of those things.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Operation Overdrive had a better anniversary celebration than Super/Megaforce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Craptacular! posted:

I'm going to admit I've never seen Megaforce, but Goseiger has a pretty bad reputation. Not Nininger bad, but down there somewhere. Whereas everybody fuckin' loves Gokaiger.

I tried watching it awhile ago. I think it's just really bland as far as modern sentai go.