Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

TheGoatTrick posted:

80k? Congrats on making it that far.

I had an 08 and had to replace the water pump and thermostat at 47k. Per several shops I called, they either last 50k or forever. But 50k is considered normal. Oh, these two parts on on opposite sides of the engine, so it's not a single labor charge.

The turbo oil lines were replaced at 55k. Again, not an outlier.

Good thing my timing chain tensioner failure was detected early and under warranty. I know at least two people who had it fail out of warranty, necessitating engine replacement (one guy sold his to a salvager for 2k). There was a class action lawsuit about it, resulting in anyone with a failure being reimbursed for repairs, even if they were out of warranty and had the work done by an independent shop.

My high pressure fuel pump didn't fail, but enough of them did that the warranty was extended to 10 years/100k.

All that being said, I know plenty of people who bought another one despite having one or more of the issues above. Hell, I know a couple people who lemon lawed them, then got another.

I routinely have to write up whole front suspensions of them at 28K miles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Xeno posted:

Probably stories for elsewhere, anyhow.

As a boring, mostly law-abiding citizen, I'd love to hear them. If you post them anywhere, let me know.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

I picked up a 2005 330 6spd a few weeks ago to replace my 2016 GTI (still waiting to receive the title from Capital One before it gets handed off to the new owner).

It was owned by someone that cared about it previously, as every single bit of the PM has been done on it, all of the suspension bushings are already poly, it has a proper spring/damper combo, etc. Guy I bought it from didn't know much about it, but was super nice. Favorite part is the anthracite alcantara interior. Every time I go back to an E46 I remember why I love them so much -- this is my third.

Future plans: trackdays, S54 using existing 6spd and rear end, mfactory LSD in non-M housing, lots of miles.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 24, 2016

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Why'd you get out of such a recent GTI?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Turns out I prefer something much more raw (and RWD), I hate car payments, and I was worried it was a ticking $20k timebomb -- especially since I was tempted to keep adding power. I bought it in September 2015 and put 25000mi on it.

I used it to tow my track bike and street bike over 5000mi to various trackdays across the SW/Cali and it was great for that. I've been considering moving away from tracking bikes now that I'm getting a little bit older and see that I don't enjoy them as much anymore unless I'm pushing, which brings the concern of actually hurting myself while crashing and the associated financial / long-term heath implications of such. I'm going to give car trackdays a shot for the first time in the E46, then we will go from there.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 24, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

We got a foot of sideways snow, and it decided to make some aerodynamic improvements.

Also, my sidewalk is under there somewhere.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Well guess I jinxed myself, my Cooper S has been taken away on a flatbed to be delivered to my local BMW after it decided to only work on 3 cylinders on the way home last night.

The mechanic reckons it's a faulty fuel injector, I can feel my wallet getting lighter already.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Ludicro posted:

Well guess I jinxed myself, my Cooper S has been taken away on a flatbed to be delivered to my local BMW after it decided to only work on 3 cylinders on the way home last night.

The mechanic reckons it's a faulty fuel injector, I can feel my wallet getting lighter already.

Check plug/coil too

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Nodoze posted:

Check plug/coil too

Swapped the plugs and coils from other cylinders, the fault remained with cylinder one.

I suppose it's possible the wiring harness could be on the fritz and not supplying charge to the first cylinder.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Summer holidays means roadtrips

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

In the absence of the Station Wagons thread (archived) I'll put this up here

For those who don't know it's more or less a wagon version of the Golf GTI

I'll get some better pictures this evening.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's a sharp lookin car you got there.

It would be nice of VW started selling those here now that the volkswagen's name is mud.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

That's a sharp lookin car you got there.

It would be nice of VW started selling those here now that the volkswagen's name is mud.

We both think it's a good idea; we both know it would be a colossal sales failure.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Welp, turns out there is no compression on Cylinder 1, which means the head needs to be pulled as it's likely the valves are hosed.

I was looking at writing the car off, but as it happens my mum's friend's husband runs a garage so I'm going to get him to look at it, and there are some decent rebuild services in the area.

My MCS may yet live on.

Lord Ludikrous fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 29, 2016

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
800 kms of Canadian winter.

Also starring my poor 300D

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

D C posted:

800 kms of Canadian winter.

Classic "old worker gets young, hip boss" picture.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

D C posted:

Are those real monoblocks?

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

I Love the cars, guys!
For those rat rod lovers out there; I humbly submit one of mine. 1972 Ford LTD Brougham. I nick named her 'The Beast'. She may not be a looker but the car sure is fun to drive and work on. Some of the things I've done include rebuilding the 460 BBF (with some fun additions), converted it to EZ-EFI and threw in a posi. There is still plenty of work to do on it but I'm in no hurry.

My other car is a 2014 Ford Taurus SHO. Sorry for the super lovely picture. This is the only drat picture I can find of it other than a bunch of engine bay pics.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Did the EFI gain you anything in the way of fuel economy? I've got a 460 myself and the single digit fuel economy kinda sucks

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Powershift posted:

Did the EFI gain you anything in the way of fuel economy? I've got a 460 myself and the single digit fuel economy kinda sucks

Not at all! :)

Though A) I'm a bit of a lead foot and the engine was built for a mild street performance in mind. B) The F.A.S.T. EZ-EFI gives you minimal control over your target AFR (idle, cruise, WOT only). I imagine if I had complete control over the fuel map ala Motec setups, maybe I could ride the 14.7 line a bit more when cruising under most conditions.

Having said that, if I were easier on the acceleration I would probably be able to hit 10 or 12 mpg. As it stands, I'm 6-8 because I drive like a dumb rear end in a top hat in that thing. But man, it was super easy to setup and it has been running like a drat dream, even in 100 degree desert heat. (goodbye vapor lock!!)

E:mph is not mpg

Professor of Cats fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 31, 2016

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Professor of Cats posted:

I Love the cars, guys!
For those rat rod lovers out there; I humbly submit one of mine. 1972 Ford LTD Brougham. I nick named her 'The Beast'. She may not be a looker but the car sure is fun to drive and work on. Some of the things I've done include rebuilding the 460 BBF (with some fun additions), converted it to EZ-EFI and threw in a posi. There is still plenty of work to do on it but I'm in no hurry.

My other car is a 2014 Ford Taurus SHO. Sorry for the super lovely picture. This is the only drat picture I can find of it other than a bunch of engine bay pics.

Man, I love that LTD. I miss land yachts, I know full size SUVs are the closest modern equivalent but its just not the same. I'm actually contemplating a 78 continental at the moment.

Is that a functional intake? And how hard was the EFI to install? I've read they're all pretty simple and that the biggest thing is the condition of the fuel system. Did you use the stock plumbing?

edit:

Powershift posted:

I got to say, going through your posts in this thread has pretty much cemented that 78 I was looking at. Your car is freaking beautiful.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 31, 2016

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

As Nero Danced posted:

Man, I love that LTD. I miss land yachts, I know full size SUVs are the closest modern equivalent but its just not the same. I'm actually contemplating a 78 continental at the moment.

Same here. Cruising around in this thing, mean as hell and 'surfing asphalt' when I take turns is just too much fun. It's huge and smooth.

As Nero Danced posted:

Is that a functional intake?

It is a functioning shaker scoop! It primarily acts as a cold air intake as the ram air effect even at high speeds are not super significant. (but it exists!)

Yes, I'm a high schooler all over again because I cut a hole in a perfectly good and probably rare hood, not to mention mutilating a Scott Drake reproduction Cobrajet shaker.

As Nero Danced posted:

And how hard was the EFI to install? I've read they're all pretty simple and that the biggest thing is the condition of the fuel system. Did you use the stock plumbing?

It is fairly easy if you go for the straight out of the box setup with inline fuel pump kit and returnless fuel line.

Warning: It gets way more involved if you have to plumb in a return line and want to do the in-tank fuel pump.

Quick break-down:
1 - the EFI portion was cake. You bolt on the throttle body, find a place to mount the ecu, hook all the connections up and boom, you are ready to go. It came with all the push-lok fuel hoses you need so it is just routing stuff.
2 - The actual plumbing was a bit more involved, FAST EZ-EFI isn't returnless, so I plumbed an extra fuel line down the side of the frame along side the original. (Other companies like MSD, Edelbrock make returnless options!)
3 - First phase, I opt'd for the inline fuel pump. But realized that I couldn't mount it a good place below the tank and it was extremely noisey. So I then mutilated my fuel tank and went with the in-take option instead.

4 - Exhaust - if you aren't a welder or know one, then take your exhaust to the shop because you need an o2 bung welded in. You screw that puppy in, hook it up and boom, you're ready to fire it up.
5 - You have this little hand held, answer a couple of questions, turn the key and rawr, it is alive.

e: accidentally a word

Professor of Cats fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 31, 2016

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
So what does the tin can do?

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

"the soup can"?
It holds a vacuum.
All the heater/ac vent flaps are controlled by the engine's vacuum and when you step on it, the vacuum goes away; that can holds vacuum so when engine isn't producing any, your heater vents don't shut close on you.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

It's a vacuum canister. it stores vacuum to operate important things like the headlight covers, and boring poo poo like the brakes.

Professor, what kind of heads/exhaust/power are you running. Every time i start pricing out an engine refresh i end up on car-part looking at f-150 5.0s.Have you had that thing on a scale?: all i can find online says it's over 1000lbs lighter than my lincoln which doesn't make sense.

Here's my barge. It still runs well, starts in -30*c but it would be nice to get away from 220hp/9mpg

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 17, 2018

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

"the soup can"?
It holds a vacuum.
All the heater/ac vent flaps are controlled by the engine's vacuum and when you step on it, the vacuum goes away; that can holds vacuum so when engine isn't producing any, your heater vents don't shut close on you.

Or if you drive a Mercedes your car locks don't shut on you

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Powershift posted:

Here's my barge. It still runs well, starts in -30*c but it would be nice to get away from 220hp/9mpg

The best thing about these is that, when you run out of gas, a helicopter can land on the hood and bring you some more.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Powershift posted:

It's a vacuum canister. it stores vacuum to operate important things like the headlight covers, and boring poo poo like the brakes.

Professor, what kind of heads/exhaust/power are you running. Every time i start pricing out an engine refresh i end up on car-part looking at f-150 5.0s.Have you had that thing on a scale?: all i can find online says it's over 1000lbs lighter than my lincoln which doesn't make sense.

Goddamn that is a beauty! I absolutely love it.

• Headers - I'm running custom headers made by 'Stan' over at FordPowerTrain. He did a set for his 73 LTD at the time so I lucked out. Cleared the steering box no problem.
  • Exhaust - The Exhaust is a frankenstein 2.5" H pipe modified from a Flowmaster Thunder Exhaust kit for an older mustang and pieces of a modern mustang exhaust. It ain't pretty underneath there but the sound is amazing.
  • Power! - Before I switched to FAST, (Edelbrock 1411 750cfm) - the engine dyno'd at Torque: 524 @ 3500, Horsepower: 436 @ 4900
  • Weight: Came out to 4451 lbs, 51 to 49 ratio, front to rear.

I'm sure you know already but for the Engine refresh; It is super easy to get that thing plus 300hp without much work, especially if it is still factory setup!

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Awesome, thanks for the write up on the EFI. And don't apologize for that hood, it's awesome. I'd probably do the same thing if it were mine.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

The best thing about these is that, when you run out of gas, a helicopter can land on the hood and bring you some more.

Yeah, but then you've gotta run a hose all the way back to the back bumper, it really kills an afternoon.

I'm sure you know already but for the Engine refresh; It is super easy to get that thing plus 300hp without much work, especially if it is still factory setup!

Yeah, but i start looking at an EFI kit, intake, ignition, desmogging, the only set of off the shelf headers that might fit are $600 built for the 73 ranchero. It all starts inching close to the $4k 5.0/6 speed auto that might possibly maybe get the car to 20mpg and someday pay for itself, or at least that's what i use to justify the thought.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Dude. You put a Shaker on an LTD. That is loving awesome.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Well, dropped my Cooper S in and collected my new ride.

2015 BMW 118i Sport. Looking forward to going for a drive with the other half through the country over the weekend to get to know her better.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Have a nighttime cellphone freezing rain picture. Wife wanted me to drive her to work so I have her car for the night.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
That thing is still ugly.

I mean, its 20x better than whatever crap I drive but it looks like a micro machine.

But like a big micro machine.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I agree 100%

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's a cool AMC eagle you got there PenisMonkey.

They even copied the wheels and the wing!

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Excuse me sir but I count seven spokes not five :colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PenisMonkey posted:

Excuse me sir but I count seven spokes not five :colbert:

Well you obviously got the "make it look slightly less like an AMC eagle" package, $4,000 no doubt.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

Snow day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Nice truck