Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Soulex posted:

Did you turn that letter of eligibility into the school?

Everything has been sent. Apparently they can't even give me a time frame :psyduck:

I really need to get that stipend :ohdear:

I remember this happening back in 2012 and it seriously hurt my grades. I thought 4 years would be enough to fix some of the problems the VA had :/

Any veteran orgs out there that can help you buy books and a computer when the VA doesn't come through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Everything has been sent. Apparently they can't even give me a time frame :psyduck:

I remember this happening back in 2012 and it seriously hurt my grades. I thought 4 years would be enough to fix some of the problems the VA had :/

Any veteran orgs out there that can help you buy books and a computer when the VA doesn't come through?

#1 check your Veterans Office at school. Apparently they have a library of books from classes that vets don't need anymore that we leave for each other since (some of us) we get free books.

#2 if they don't have your book AND you can find it online, buy it, and do the DRM removal, then charge back. I mean you actually have to return it and if this is too :filez: I'll remove this.

#3 sign your class IX authorization or whatever it's loving called. This is assuming you did number 4.

#4 have you done FAFSA? No? Why not. You can't get money from #3 if the school does not have money to give you. All that chapter bullshit authorization is doing is letting the school use the funds you got through grants for other things. If it isn't, then it is refunded to you.

#5 buy a computer on credit or something. There is a tax break for people who are going to school, and can prove they need it for school (I have never had to prove but FYI) and you get something like 35% back or possibly more. It's probably more because I think I paid a total of 400 for my big rear end iMac.

#6 work study

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Most college book stores are fine with returns before the classes start; they fully expect a good amount of books to be returned because people change classes. Get the books you need there or from a library, and spend 15 minutes per book photographing them with your phone. Bring your laptop to class so you can read along with everyone and tell them it's the e-book version. Don't feel bad about it either, it's a loving racket where publishers just move chapters around to make old editions impossible to use so they can keep raking in $200 a pop for their poo poo.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My school gives you about a week after the semester starts to return books.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Not to mention sometimes professors have a direct hand in the book and it naturally creates an issue. Also best case scenario is to ask your professors how much of the syllabus is book heavy. They might suggest not even buying the book like some of mine have done.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Professors who peddle their own book bug me. My public speaking professor back in Florida did that and we never even used the loving thing.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
man now that I'm looking I don't think I ever got my book stipend

i'm looking through my bank and I don't think I got it. Is there another way online to check the status of it or do I need to go to the school and talk to them?

edit: and of course they're out of the office this week

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 17, 2016

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Soulex posted:

#1 check your Veterans Office at school. Apparently they have a library of books from classes that vets don't need anymore that we leave for each other since (some of us) we get free books.

#2 if they don't have your book AND you can find it online, buy it, and do the DRM removal, then charge back. I mean you actually have to return it and if this is too :filez: I'll remove this.

#3 sign your class IX authorization or whatever it's loving called. This is assuming you did number 4.

#4 have you done FAFSA? No? Why not. You can't get money from #3 if the school does not have money to give you. All that chapter bullshit authorization is doing is letting the school use the funds you got through grants for other things. If it isn't, then it is refunded to you.

#5 buy a computer on credit or something. There is a tax break for people who are going to school, and can prove they need it for school (I have never had to prove but FYI) and you get something like 35% back or possibly more. It's probably more because I think I paid a total of 400 for my big rear end iMac.

#6 work study

Thank you for your great advice. I didn't do FAFSA this semester. I honestly have no clue if I even qualify. I'm doing distance courses so I can't go to the campus and get books, I have to get them somehow though.

I've been using a really lovely laptop but this thing is on its last legs. Also, I'm unemployed until May at least so I don't have much credit.

Classes have been going on for two weeks and some of my professors are starting to email me asking about turning in my assignments and I'm honestly embarrassed to tell them I'm too poor to buy books and supplies.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Thank you for your great advice. I didn't do FAFSA this semester. I honestly have no clue if I even qualify. I'm doing distance courses so I can't go to the campus and get books, I have to get them somehow though.

I've been using a really lovely laptop but this thing is on its last legs. Also, I'm unemployed until May at least so I don't have much credit.

Classes have been going on for two weeks and some of my professors are starting to email me asking about turning in my assignments and I'm honestly embarrassed to tell them I'm too poor to buy books and supplies.

even if you dont think you will qualify, fill out fafsa.

seriously, do it right now if you can. go back in time and do it yesterday if you have a time machine.

fill out fafsa every single year

E: I filled out fafsa late one year. Grant money was $5775 that year. I filled it out in like November, and when spring rolled around I got $5775 deposited into my student account. Usually they split it into two and you get half in the fall and half in spring.

Point being: even if you are late getting to it, fill our fafsa asap

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 18, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Even if you are rich as gently caress, you qualify for FAFSA. Seriously.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Ol, so I have my medical records and I know when I go to the VA to register I never get those records back. Should I just suck it up and personally copy my records or are the CDs they gave me as part of outprocessing my compete medical/dental record. If they are that saves me a fuckton of time, if not I want to know if it's my personal project to copy all of these records before going to the VA

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
The stuff on the CD is not the same as the hard copy records they gave you! Make a copy of all that stuff and print out whatever's on the CD, then give those copies to the VA.

Yeah, I know it's a lot, but it's not too bad to copy all of it if you have access to a decent copier at your office or school.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Naked Bear posted:

The stuff on the CD is not the same as the hard copy records they gave you! Make a copy of all that stuff and print out whatever's on the CD, then give those copies to the VA.

Yeah, I know it's a lot, but it's not too bad to copy all of it if you have access to a decent copier at your office or school.

Thank you! I don't have an office (I work in field service so it's the best of all worlds except having my "corporate hq" be in the middle of nowhere) so I will cry and spent the 49 bucks on a new laser printer ink ream.

Again, thanks, NJ VA has been helpful but this was the one thing I was confused about.

Stellar Curiosity
Jan 15, 2009

What is the current status on help from the US Gvt/VA regarding burn pit exposure? (Beyond registering @ https://veteran.mobilehealth.va.gov/AHBurnPitRegistry/#page/home)
I have a friend who developed cancer and was told that there later could emerge different types of cancer as a result of the exposure, and I want to help make sure he has access to all the information he needs and hopefully inside tips too.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Stellar Curiosity posted:

What is the current status on help from the US Gvt/VA regarding burn pit exposure? (Beyond registering @ https://veteran.mobilehealth.va.gov/AHBurnPitRegistry/#page/home)
I have a friend who developed cancer and was told that there later could emerge different types of cancer as a result of the exposure, and I want to help make sure he has access to all the information he needs and hopefully inside tips too.

No one cares about your friend and if he's lucky after he dies his grandkids will get a fancy certificate saying sorry.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I was looking through the VA eligibility stuff and something caught my eye

VA Enhanced Eligibility posted:

Are a Former Prisoner of War (POW)
In receipt of the Purple Heart Medal.
In receipt of the Medal of Honor.
Have a compensable VA awarded service-connected disability of 10% or more.
In receipt of a VA Pension.
Were discharged from the military because of a disability (not preexisting), early out, or hardship.
Served in a Theater of Operations for 5 years post discharge.
Served in the Republic of Vietnam from January 9, 1962 to May 7, 1975.
U.S. Navy and Coast Guard ships associated with military service in Vietnam
Served in the Persian Gulf from August 2, 1990 to November 11, 1998.
Were stationed or resided at Camp Lejeune for 30 days or more between August 1, 1953 and December 31, 1987.
Are found by VA to be Catastrophically Disabled.
Previous years' household income is below VA's National Income or Geographical-Adjusted Thresholds

What's up with Lejeune?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Ron Jeremy posted:

What's up with Lejeune?

Cancer from water supply,

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Ron Jeremy posted:

What's up with Lejeune?

They were giving their marines water that was deadly. Oh well lol

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Soulex posted:

#6 work study

Got my FAFSA done and got my book stipend last week. Thanks for your help man.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Ron Jeremy posted:

What's up with Lejeune?

Basically the dry cleaner wasn't properly disposing of chemicals and it got in the water supply. So if you've got specific types of cancer, you can get compensation.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Godholio posted:

I can't help on figuring out what transfers, there's a good chance the answer is "nothing" or really close to it...but if you're looking at a BS/BA there's no chance in hell you're going to squeeze ~40 credits out of military training to bump you up to sophomore status.

i got 36 for medic school and basic

got me out of all the required health/phys ed credits too

i think the program was called AARTS to get a transcript sent to whatever school you apply to, but it might've changed

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Who would I talk to about not being paid correctly via VA? So, unless my math is wrong...

50% + 44% (20+20+10%) = 72

72% + 10% = 75%. So I should technically be rated 80% correct?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Soulex posted:

Who would I talk to about not being paid correctly via VA? So, unless my math is wrong...

50% + 44% (20+20+10%) = 72

72% + 10% = 75%. So I should technically be rated 80% correct?

50, 20, 20, 10, 10 should be 80%.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 23, 2016

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Unless something changed and I didn't hear about it..

It's not a straight addition.

They start with the single highest percent, 50, then each rating is taken from the remaining percent. So it's 20% of 50, and then 20% of 30, ect...

Once you get that number it's rounded to the nearest 10.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Genocide Tendency posted:

Unless something changed and I didn't hear about it..

It's not a straight addition.

They start with the single highest percent, 50, then each rating is taken from the remaining percent. So it's 20% of 50, and then 20% of 30, ect...

Once you get that number it's rounded to the nearest 10.

Just want to let you know that 20% of 50 is 10, so it should be 50% leftover, then 40%, 32%, ~29%, then ~26% leftover at the end. Should be getting ~74% disability. Using the table at

http://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/rates-index.asp#combined

I went to the intersection of 71 and 10 to get a rating of 74, which will round to 70%

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Pesticide20 posted:

Just want to let you know that 20% of 50 is 10, so it should be 50% leftover, then 40%, 32%, ~29%, then ~26% leftover at the end. Should be getting ~74% disability. Using the table at

http://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/rates-index.asp#combined

I went to the intersection of 71 and 10 to get a rating of 74, which will round to 70%

Ahaha...gently caress!

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

"#5 buy a computer on credit or something. There is a tax break for people who are going to school, and can prove they need it for school (I have never had to prove but FYI) and you get something like 35% back or possibly more. It's probably more because I think I paid a total of 400 for my big rear end iMac. "

Whoa, what? I just bought a new MacBook Pro and this would be fantastic.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

DoktorLoken posted:

"#5 buy a computer on credit or something. There is a tax break for people who are going to school, and can prove they need it for school (I have never had to prove but FYI) and you get something like 35% back or possibly more. It's probably more because I think I paid a total of 400 for my big rear end iMac. "

Whoa, what? I just bought a new MacBook Pro and this would be fantastic.

Yeah. Keep your receipt. Bring it up to your tax person.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
So I have a hosed up left shoulder that, so far as I know, I screwed up on a week long mission where at one point I propped my elbow up on the turret shield for eight hours for comfort and the next day it was stiff. It got progressively worse to the point where I can't lift my arm above my head anymore.

According to a VA doctor in Memphis, my shoulder actually has nothing wrong with it because he couldn't see "any evidence of soft tissue damage in the x-ray." (lolwhat)

I filed a claim on it that was denied because the VA says that there's no evidence that my injury is connected to my service in Iraq, a determination they made after looking at my claim where I said I hurt my shoulder in Iraq.

So now I'm in appeals hell. I started working with a VFW rep when my claim was over 300 days old. He had pretty amazing tendency to not answer emails and phone calls for months at a time, so I ended up contacting VFW's national headquarters and got put in contact with a guy who basically told me that everything this rep told me to do was the wrong thing to do. He told me what I needed to do (see a real doctor for a diagnosis, get buddies to write statements saying they remember me bitching about my shoulder, etc.), and I started on the process.

Then my wife died.

And then I went through VA purgatory waiting for them to approve some survivor's benefits. I asked my VFW rep to help, but never heard back from him. I'd last heard from him in May of 2015. I sent him a follow-up in August 2015 that he never replied to, then asked him for help with my survivor benefits application in May 2016.

When I didn't hear back from him by July, I looked up the contact where he was working and, lo and behold, his name wasn't listed anymore. So I contacted this new person, included the entire email chain, and asked her for help. I got a reply about a week later.

quote:

Good Evening Mr. McNally.
I am sorry it took so long to get back with you but I have a lot of emails in which I need to process as well as in person visits and telephone calls.
After reviewing your file, this is what I determined. **** filed your appeal on April 9th 2015. He filed your election of a DRO conference in May of 2015. I see a phone call in which you talked with a **** and he explained what you needed to prove your case in August of 2015. In order to get service connected for a disability you need three things:
1) A current diagnosis of a condition – Right shoulder/Arm condition
2) An event in service/injury that caused the condition – not sure how placing your arm on a Turret for comfort would cause the condition whatever it is.
3) And a medical opinion from a doctor connecting the in service event to your current condition.
You can provide degrees of connection from the 2009 incident to now by getting statements from friends, family, fellow soldiers who know of your condition and or saw you/heard you complain through the years about the condition. Saying it did not start until so long after you were in Iraq is a problem, since the shoulder / arm condition could be caused by many things including a vehicle accident, a weight lighting incident, or even a sports related activity which VA is very aware happens all the time. What you need to do is rule out those other type of injuries so that is can be linked to your service.

I am sorry **** has not gotten back with you but like me he has a lot of veterans he has to answer on a continuing basis. At this point there really is nothing to report on your status, because you started your appeal in 2015. VA (while striving to complete as many appeals as possible now) are only on the 2013/2014 appeals. They are doing appeals by date of receipt so there is a while yet before they will work on yours.

This gives you time to work on gathering up the evidence you need. If and when you get those statements or letters, please send them into our office, either through **** or myself and we will make sure it is filed for the DRO to be able to use.

Wow, sounds like she's already made up her mind here. So I wrote back:

quote:

I'm really not sure how you can claim that I said the issue started "so long after" I was in Iraq, when I clearly stated that it started as stiffness during that specific mission in Iraq, never went away, and progressively became worse. Moreover, your comments about how you're not sure how my actions would result in my condition, coupled with the claim I mentioned, make it sound like your mind is already made up on this matter.

That **** is busy is completely understandable, however I have emailed him since I last heard from him in May of 2015, to include a request for help with an issue regarding survivor benefits following my wife's death in December 2015. There's busy, and then there's whatever he's doing.

I've already resigned myself to the fact that the VA can't help me. The VA couldn't help my wife, either, and now she's dead because of it. I don't know why I thought you could help me either.

Yeah, okay, I lost my cool and could have handled it better. I admit it. I got this reply two days later:

quote:

Okay, Mr. McNally,
I understand your frustration and your loss of your spouse, as I have recently lost mine. But do not put words in my mouth, and say I have already made up my mind that I can not help you. I gave you some suggestions as to what you need to do. I also read to you what I saw in your file. I was only repeating what was in the file, not what I determined by that. I said it could be a problem because you told the doctor that, not something I am assuming. (what? I've never seen a doctor about this since the doc in Memphis. And that was like seven years ago. And I told him that the stiffness STARTED IN IRAQ WHERE ARE YOU GETTING THIS INFORMATION FROM?!) And as I can not say what happened between you and ****, I can not judge that either. That I am extremely, busy is no dispute. That I am willing to try and help you is another. If you do not want my help, I do have other veterans, as well as the problem about my personal loss and having to go to court about that. I will be out of the office next week dealing with that. If you still want help, please let me or my office know.

Okay, wow. I'm sorry this person lost their spouse, but seriously?

Anyway, I think I need to rescind the VFW's authority in my appeal and find a new VSO.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Every time you post something about how you're getting hosed again by the loving lovely rear end Army and VA my loving blood boils. It's not good for me because I've got bad loving rage issues. I am so, so sorry that all this poo poo keeps happening to you dude. I can sympathize so much, but I've never had to deal with that level of ineptitude and idiocy. Sorry dude :(

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Mike-o posted:

Every time you post something about how you're getting hosed again by the loving lovely rear end Army and VA my loving blood boils. It's not good for me because I've got bad loving rage issues. I am so, so sorry that all this poo poo keeps happening to you dude. I can sympathize so much, but I've never had to deal with that level of ineptitude and idiocy. Sorry dude :(

Every time I see this stuff I feel like a shitbag just because my claims went through quickly and easily when they actually kind of had no right to go so smoothly. It seems like blind luck how well claims go.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

McNally posted:

Anyway, I think I need to rescind the VFW's authority in my appeal and find a new VSO.

2 things.

When you switch you VSO to the DAV, make sure that you tell as many and as high level people in the VFW why they are loving bad at their job, examples to pile on.

Second, I will personally testify on your behalf at your trial when you snap.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

McNally posted:

So I have a hosed up left shoulder that, so far as I know, I screwed up on a week long mission where at one point I propped my elbow up on the turret shield for eight hours for comfort and the next day it was stiff. It got progressively worse to the point where I can't lift my arm above my head anymore.

According to a VA doctor in Memphis, my shoulder actually has nothing wrong with it because he couldn't see "any evidence of soft tissue damage in the x-ray." (lolwhat)

I filed a claim on it that was denied because the VA says that there's no evidence that my injury is connected to my service in Iraq, a determination they made after looking at my claim where I said I hurt my shoulder in Iraq.

So now I'm in appeals hell. I started working with a VFW rep when my claim was over 300 days old. He had pretty amazing tendency to not answer emails and phone calls for months at a time, so I ended up contacting VFW's national headquarters and got put in contact with a guy who basically told me that everything this rep told me to do was the wrong thing to do. He told me what I needed to do (see a real doctor for a diagnosis, get buddies to write statements saying they remember me bitching about my shoulder, etc.), and I started on the process.

Then my wife died.

And then I went through VA purgatory waiting for them to approve some survivor's benefits. I asked my VFW rep to help, but never heard back from him. I'd last heard from him in May of 2015. I sent him a follow-up in August 2015 that he never replied to, then asked him for help with my survivor benefits application in May 2016.

When I didn't hear back from him by July, I looked up the contact where he was working and, lo and behold, his name wasn't listed anymore. So I contacted this new person, included the entire email chain, and asked her for help. I got a reply about a week later.

Wow, sounds like she's already made up her mind here. So I wrote back:

Yeah, okay, I lost my cool and could have handled it better. I admit it. I got this reply two days later:

DAV is good for me so far.

Also hey, at least you got some emotion. Truth be told, might help to play nice as similar circumstances seat unlikely partnerships.

Also gently caress them.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
My Dad's friend is telling us how he's been trying to get disability for 50ish years, apparently when he was in the Army he was locked in a small room in Bethesda with some other soldiers as they did sleep experiments, he developed sarcoma from the bad water supply there, and he wasn't allowed to talk about it but it was recently declassified. I'm curious how based in reality this all is, as his recollections are rather vivid.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I have a very specific question:

I used ch 33 for most of school, and switched over to ch 31 in the last year. Great, right? Well, I'm only 4 credits away from graduating due to some funkery from last semester, and as you know ch 31 won't pay for anything under 6 credits. Additionally, ch 31 will ONLY pay for the credits that I absolutely need and nothing more. That means that I'm on the hook for the tuition cost as well as housing. My VA rep said that I should switch back to ch 33 in order to register for full time and get BAH and all that.

My question is that if I switch back to ch 33 can I then switch back to ch 31 if I want to do grad school or some other type of training? Or is it lost forever?

Thanks bros.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Deathy McDeath posted:

I have a very specific question:

I used ch 33 for most of school, and switched over to ch 31 in the last year. Great, right? Well, I'm only 4 credits away from graduating due to some funkery from last semester, and as you know ch 31 won't pay for anything under 6 credits. Additionally, ch 31 will ONLY pay for the credits that I absolutely need and nothing more. That means that I'm on the hook for the tuition cost as well as housing. My VA rep said that I should switch back to ch 33 in order to register for full time and get BAH and all that.

My question is that if I switch back to ch 33 can I then switch back to ch 31 if I want to do grad school or some other type of training? Or is it lost forever?

Thanks bros.

I'd talk to your school's certifying official about some stuff. I imagine that you have two requirements, total hours and hours in a specific course, and depending on their flexibility you might be able to pick up one course to satisfy one requirement, and another to satisfy the other, and climb your way out of your hour deficit. I had something similar happen to me in my last semester, though it was separated by summer sub-semesters. I know nothing about switching between benefit types.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Yeah I'm finished will all major and core requirements, those 4 credits are just raw credit reqs for the degree. I can take anything.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

So I EAS'd out of the Marines back in 2010, and filed a VA claim for asymmetrical lymphedema in one of my feet. I wasn't medboarded due to a whole host of poo poo involve my lovely loving command and an absolute shitbird for a MSgt so I even though this poo poo happened while on active duty I was long since out when I finally got my claim in 2012.

I was initially rated at 20% and this foot poo poo is getting progressively worse, to the point I can't even remain on my feet for extended periods of time, and it's beginning to spread up my leg. Apparently I only had 60 days to file an appeal after getting the initial determination? Do I have any options to exercise or am I just completely boned?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Deathy McDeath posted:

Yeah I'm finished will all major and core requirements, those 4 credits are just raw credit reqs for the degree. I can take anything.

find two 3 credit courses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Kawasaki Nun posted:

find two 3 credit courses?

The problem is not taking the courses. It's paying for them AND affording rent. 4 credits is $6,500.