Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I tried a cooking game once, but I found it

half-baked

Never has this video been so appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Jenny Angel posted:

Hey can anyone recommend some good cooking games? I'm one of the best Overcooked players in the whole wide world so obviously I love that, but all its recipes are super simple, with the challenge being more about managing co-op coordination in all the offbeat kitchen designs. I'm looking for something more based around larger numbers of recipes, more ingredients and processes involved in the recipes, etc. Something that I can play to sorta get myself into a soothing rhythm of memorized patterns to make a perfect lasagne or such

I can't really think of anything besides Cooking Mama & Chop, Serve, Delicious, neither of which are available on Xbox. Both are on like every phone/tablet device ever & i'm sure aren't too intensive if you tried to run them on your computer + Chop, Serve, Delicious has xbox controller support so you could just plug in your xbox controller thru USB.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
There are cooking games? I guess so. Huh.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Snak posted:

Wait are there Overcooked leaderboards?

No I don't think so, but I've gotten 3 stars with every map with 3 separate partners (which the XBox said was like a pretty rare achievement to do once, maybe less than 1%?) and have racked up some obnoxious past-3-star records on a bunch of the maps, so I feel comfortable in my use of goofy hyperbole

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Jenny Angel posted:

Hey can anyone recommend some good cooking games? I'm one of the best Overcooked players in the whole wide world so obviously I love that, but all its recipes are super simple, with the challenge being more about managing co-op coordination in all the offbeat kitchen designs. I'm looking for something more based around larger numbers of recipes, more ingredients and processes involved in the recipes, etc. Something that I can play to sorta get myself into a soothing rhythm of memorized patterns to make a perfect lasagne or such

Maybe cook, serve, delicious?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/247020/

I can't really think of any in-depth cooking games.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Jenny Angel posted:

I suggest the most dangerous game of all...preparing for real life cooking contests with buddies! Start from BBQ and Hot sauce contests and work way up to Iron Chef style contests! Include part that you have to hunt and kill your secret ingredient be it bear or giant squid.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jenny Angel posted:

Others have said it but Cook Serve Delicious is 100℅ what you're looking for

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I was saying boo-urns.

Anyway, I suggest Citizen Burger Disorder.
https://twitter.com/forgzample/statuses/450567389466202112
https://twitter.com/forgzample/statuses/456579685611094016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jenny Angel posted:

No I don't think so, but I've gotten 3 stars with every map with 3 separate partners (which the XBox said was like a pretty rare achievement to do once, maybe less than 1%?) and have racked up some obnoxious past-3-star records on a bunch of the maps, so I feel comfortable in my use of goofy hyperbole

Lol that's fine. I do not doubt your abilities.

My Overcooked partner is someone I've worked with in multiple real life kitchens with, so we bring in a lot of experience with that dynamic. A competitive aspect would have been really cool.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

Lol that's fine. I do not doubt your abilities.

My Overcooked partner is someone I've worked with in multiple real life kitchens with, so we bring in a lot of experience with that dynamic. A competitive aspect would have been really cool.

Doesn't it have a versus mode?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

glam rock hamhock posted:

Doesn't it have a versus mode?

Yeah, but all multiplayer is local. If my local team could compete against other teams, even if it was just leaderboards, that would be really cool.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
This twitch stream of two standalone chat bots talking to each other is entrancing
https://www.twitch.tv/seebotschat
(the post-it notes change every time a bot declares it's name)

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
So glad that Shout! Factory are bringing TALES FROM THE HOOD to Blu-Ray. Now it can replace my dirty old copy.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

So glad that Shout! Factory are bringing TALES FROM THE HOOD to Blu-Ray. Now it can replace my dirty old copy.

The cover art is typical Shout! Factory awesomeness:

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Jack Gladney posted:

100% The Fury. It's 11 times better than Scanners, in that it repeats the best part 11 times from different angles.

Carrie is up there despite telekinesis being a much smaller part of the plot than you think. I don't know what it is but De Palma just understands how to tell a story around murdering people with your thoughts.

Scanners is kind of embarrassingly bad, even among the rest of Cronenberg's weak work. If it was his first or second film I could give it a pass but the dude had already made Shivers, The Brood and was on the cusp of doing Videodrome when he shat it out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Egbert Souse posted:

The cover art is typical Shout! Factory awesomeness:

Bought.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Tales from the Hood was one of those pivotal childhood films for me and I'm totally gonna have to pick up that rerelease.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If anyone cares, these are the Sundance tickets I have thus far (with comments where I feel the need to make them):
XX (all female director horror anthology)
Animation Spotlight
Midnight Shorts Program
The Discovery
Kuso (Flying Lotus directed movie co-written by David Firth)
Burning Sands
Lemon
Free and Easy
ICARUS
Shorts Program 5

Now I have to see if I can hold out on paying $65 to be able to purchase my other tickets early.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

TrixRabbi posted:

Scanners is kind of embarrassingly bad, even among the rest of Cronenberg's weak work. If it was his first or second film I could give it a pass but the dude had already made Shivers, The Brood and was on the cusp of doing Videodrome when he shat it out.

Scanners is the second-worst Cronenberg I've seen (Naked Lunch is #1), but even this post seems hyperbolic. It's flawed as hell, but it has enough going for it that it's still good. Love those practical effects and the ambiguity of what Scanners actually are and can do.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Tales from the Hood is great, and I need that Blu-Ray yesterday.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Naked Lunch loving owns dude

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TrixRabbi posted:

Scanners owns.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
There is no such thing as "bad Cronenberg". Even his missteps are borderline triumphs.

He's also my personal GOAT, so I may be biased

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Hey K:

K. Waste posted:

Yo, recommend me more avant-garde, experimental, and miscellaneous videos from 2016, I need to square up my 'best of' list with something a little tighter than Don't Hug Me, I'm Scared 6.

This one's from 2017, but it's also Film Of The Year 2017.

KLF 01 01 2017 WTF FOUND VHS

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Existenz is not good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Scanners is mostly great. That main guy is a pain to watch, though. But it's a testament to the film that I'll still watch it all the way through because everything else is so great. Especially Ironside.

To contrast with Miss Peregrines where as soon as Eva Green dipped out, I stopped the film. I've seen some of Hugo, I know Asa ain't that bad, but Christ almighty!

I still haven't finished it. I don't give a gently caress what happens with Jake and his weird X-Mens.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

weekly font posted:

Existenz is not good.

Actually it is :eng101:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Existenz is great. Even if the rest of the movie sucked, the scene at the end with all the "actors" talking about their roles would make the whole thing worth it.

A History of Violence deserves to fight it out with Mulholland Drive on those Best Films of the 21st Century lists. I think Viggo turns in one of the greatest performances of all-time in that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The problem with Existenz is that the concept is so strong, and the execution is a bit weak.

But yeah, that ending scene is great.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

LesterGroans posted:

Existenz is great. Even if the rest of the movie sucked, the scene at the end with all the "actors" talking about their roles would make the whole thing worth it.

Barf.

quote:

A History of Violence deserves to fight it out with Mulholland Drive on those Best Films of the 21st Century lists. I think Viggo turns in one of the greatest performances of all-time in that.

Super down with this though.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
what if I told u existenz is better than videodrome

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Gorman Thomas posted:

what if I told u existenz is better than videodrome

I'd shoot you with my tumor gun.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Hey K:

This one's from 2017, but it's also Film Of The Year 2017.

KLF 01 01 2017 WTF FOUND VHS

Awesome, dude, get this year off on the right foot - I don't know if this is your bag or not, by let me submit back to you this decent time-lapse storm-chaser short also from just this year: https://vimeo.com/197854878

Also, eXistenZ is good, you weenies. It's Trainspotting meets Tron.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDbXEPQrzko

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
eXistenZ is so far the closest to outright comedy Cronenberg has let himself get and it's great for it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Brood is one of my favorite Cronenberg films.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

weekly font posted:

I'd shoot you with my tumor gun.

Heh, cute dildo

*pulls chicken bone gun out of soup*

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

You motherfuckers are gonna make me rewatch Existenz.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

eXistenz is good. And so is Scanners. And Naked Lunch. In fact aside from his pre-Shivers stuff there aren't any bad Cronenberg movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
I can never decide if The Brood, The Fly or Dead Ringers is his masterpiece.

Probably The Fly IMO

• Locked thread