Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Freak: 0 | Danger: -1 | Trouble: +1 | Superior: +2 | Menace: +1
Curses!: 0/5 | Infamy: 2 | Conditions: Paranoid | Location: BRANCH, Paris

"...Eeek!"

When Ex-P goes in for the hug, Anarchy flinches away like she's about to be captured by the forces of justice. But it's really just too little, too late. A look of terror flashes across Anarchy's face in the brief moment where it's not quite clear if this is going to be just a hug, or the death grapple that just might end her life.

But when it becomes clear that she's not about to be murdered for her disloyalty, and especially when Expatriot actually admits OUT LOUD that she got out-played, Anarchy suddenly beams brightly like she just won the lottery. "HA! OWNED! YOU ADMIT IT! HA HA! HA HA!"

Anarchy's little victory dance gets cut short though, when Ex-P reveals her actual plan for revenge. She just stares silently, bug-eyed with shock, as the whole thing is explained. Who could have thought... that the person who would be completely owned today wasn't Ex-P... but her?

"You... You..." Anarchy looks back and forth between Ex-P and the piece of paper documenting the athletic meet. There's a real nervous look on her face, which is totally unlike her usual persona. "You really... did this?!"

Anarchy's eye twitches as her mind races to try to find some rebuttal. Or some way out. Or just... anything- anything that's not just accepting the reality of her complete ownage! "I... I..."

And then Anarchy gasps, puts her hand on her forehead, and... faints?! Whump. She hits the ground with a theatrical splat. Oh no! Is she okay?! Did she hit her head?! Wait, no. She just pretended to faint. She's okay.

---

When Whisperwind shows up again with his car, Anarchy comes running out of the safehouse and then leaps into the shotgun seat.

"WOOOOO! ROAD TRIP!" Anarchy screeches, before pushing the seat back real far and putting her feet on top of the glove compartment. "We should go to..." Then she pulls out her tablet and starts going through a list of popular tourist destinations. "...No, that's boring. No, that's boring. No. No. No..."

If you sneak a peek at her screen, you might notice that she's crossing off a whole bunch of old, historic sites from the list. And nature spots. Oh right, she's... never seemed that interested in old things and going outside that much, has she? That seems like it might be a problem later.

"OHH!" Anarchy suddenly gasps when she notices something. "WAIT! I KNOW! I KNOW! Europe's got some really kickin' electronic music festivals! We could go to THOSE! YEAH!" Then she connects her tablet to the car stereo and starts blaring some of her own music at max volume.

"YOU LIKE MUSIC, RIGHT?!" Anarchy yells, her voice only barely audible above her music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Freak: +2 | Danger: +3 | Trouble: -2 | Superior: +0 | Menace: +0
Curses! 1/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: None! | Location: Lost in Translation

After a few minutes visiting with and/or taunting Prisma, Naomi received a response from Expatriot. It seemed that she was free to meet. Excellent. While continuing her conversation with the hero and bragging about her awesome Paradox Police badge, she quickly sent a reply.

@Expatriot posted:

Given the city, I'd love to suggest a small cafe, but... Well, even if I am considered dead by most relevant parties, it's probably for the best to keep a low profile. Meet you in the garage?

A few additional taunts about how she had, in fact, clearly saved more things than Prisma despite being an incredibly competent villain capped off the conversation and Naomi gave the captured hero a jaunty wave goodbye as she exited the cells and secured the door behind her.

As much fun as it was to brag about her exploits to Prisma, she couldn't spend too much time with her yet. She'd need to get Expatriot up to speed on the recent developments in pre-history. Perhaps it would serve as something of an apology for her poor communication during the prior mission. Or, perhaps, it would cause an incident. The coverage of BP-X had drawn nearly universal condemnation, both from villainous and heroic sources alike.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.

Freak: +1 | Danger: +2 | Trouble: -1 | Superior: +0 | Menace: +2
Curses!: 0/5 | Conditions: All Clear! | Location: A Parisian Garage

@Breaking Point posted:

OMW
Elizabeth sent. She’d turned her body a bit reflexively to hide the screen of her phone from any curious cameras BRANCH might have seeded their living space with. A lack of trust was to be expected when dwelling in a nest of vipers, after all. If Naomi was asking for the ‘utmost discretion’ and asking for her by her real name, Elisabeth assumed it had to be important.

It took her a bit longer to get to the parking garage than might have been expected. Not because she’d dallied, exactly, but she’d taken a fairly roundabout method to get there. She avoided major intersections and slipped out a window rather than using any of the entrances which were sure to be watched. She might not be as slick as Whisperwind or Phantom Thief, but the vigilante lifestyle required a fair amount of stealth and breaking and entering as well, she could hold her own.

All evidence at the manor to the contrary, she added bitterly.

The garage, then, was pretty simple to slip into as she walked along the back side of the building, hopping a fence here and there and generally staying out of sight. Dark clothes weren’t nearly as effective for sneaking around in the daylight, but she wasn’t going to be exposed long. The upper levels of the parking garage were open to let some natural light in, after all. A quick jump with her enhanced musculature got her up to the third floor, where she grabbed hold of the edge and braced her feet for a moment before hopping up another two levels, grabbed hold of the edge and swung her legs over and inside.

From there, all she had to do was listen closely. After a few weeks of working together, Elizabeth would recognize the sound of Breaking Point’s heavy duty servo motors moving her armored form anywhere. It was about half as distinct as Arsène’s cologne. A few more moments, and she was waving at her old associate from just outside the stairwell.

“We really should look into the viability of getting you an off-duty frame.” She said with a bit of a smile, “I mean, your regular body’s a work of art, but I hate having to exclude you from things.” She said, hooking her thumbs on the pockets of her jacket as Naomi approached.

“What’s on your mind, Naomi?” she asked, her relaxed and friendly posture shifting slightly with concern.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 1/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: None! | Location: Clandestine Meeting

Naomi hadn't been waiting for long when the soft, practiced footsteps of Expatriot came to her attention. She was alone. Excellent. It was not that she wished to hide this from her comrades -- most of them, in any case -- but this was a sensitive matter. The smaller the circle, the easier it would be to keep this matter contained.

She grinned at her compatriot, "An off-duty frame? Well, I have something of an angle on that. Consider it in the works. As for why I asked you to come here..." A pause as her grin faded. The moment of truth approached. "Well... as you saw, both myself and the swarm were drawn into the vortex. It deposited us -- with a little help from an outside force -- shortly before the Chicxulub impact. I had the opportunity to examine the swarm without the influence that was driving it. It had entered a dormant state, content to send a signal for further orders that would never be answered. I could have left it, but... Well, how could I let such an opportunity for Sinclair slip by?"

Naomi looked down at her giant fingers, examining the craftsmanship, then looked directly at Expatriot, "I cracked the encryption it was using. It was a small matter to spoof a signal from its absent controllers and give it a new directive. A new purpose." A signal set a small swarm of nanomachines swarming from a vent. They quickly shaped themselves into a miniature version of BP-X that settled down on the back of her fist. "I call it BP-X."

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.

Naomi didn’t seem surprised when the cloud of nanomachines started buzzing towards them, which was the only real hint she had that this was something expected. Her heart rate jumped, a few possible worse case scenarios hitting her brain at the same time, but aside from moving her hands away from her pockets and tensing to move she reigned in her instincts. When the cloud gathered up and constructed a small imitation Breaking Point, Elizabeth narrowed her blue eyes suspiciously as she regarded the little BP-X.

“Well, I’m impressed.” She said, raising an eyebrow and jabbing the small warmachine with a gloved finger to the belly to see if it would respond, “Interfacing with alien hardware’s never an easy task…breaking encryption is even dodgier.” She said, though it sounded more like she was repeating something she’d heard rather than commenting on something she had real knowledge of. Expatriot’s technological know-how was only so developed … and mostly circled around weapons and security systems besides.

“Still…I worry.” She said, looking at her fingertip and rubbing a thumb over it as if trying to roll up some gooey residue left behind. “That thing’s Dormant One technology, boogeymen for starfaring species far and wide. You’ve been carrying it around on BRANCH grounds for … what … five days now? I trust you’d know if it was sending out reports, but if the Dormant Ones get a control node near it again are you confident you’ll be able to keep it under control?”

She glanced up from her finger tip, making a slight flicking motion off to the side,

“Similarly, I’m guessing you’re keeping a close watch to make sure your own systems aren’t being contaminated from proximity?” she asked, leaning back slightly, “AI’s patient, it can be subtle too … no offense I just don’t want to suddenly find myself on the wrong side of the line from you.” She said with a bit of a smirk. She hummed softly to herself.

“I never heard of the Dormant Ones being active on Earth before … you don’t think that they’re here looking for their temporally displaced technology, do you? It might’ve taken millennia for the signal to reach an outpost, but Dormant One technology has a reputation for lasting forever. They might’ve wanted to make sure no backwards primitives got ahold of their tech … time loops being what they are ‘n’ all.”

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Naomi dismissed the construct, sending the nanomachines back into the depths of her chassis, "It's been in BRANCH grounds for a little less than twelve hours, actually. It took some doing to get back to my proper position in the timeline. There's a whole organization dedicated to fixing those quibbles, in fact, but they aren't much for fine control. My entry window was supposed to be two or three days after I left."

She looked at the ceiling briefly, focusing on reviewing the reports on BP-X's activity, then looked back at Expatriot. "As you said, there have been no attempts to report on our activities or reestablish contact with whatever was controlling it before. I won't be 100% confident until I can get it in the lab and have the techs reverse-engineer the technology, but I'd place my confidence upwards of 90%. I'm scanning for any frequencies that might be transmitting overrides and haven't detected anything yet."

Naomi smiled wryly, "And, yes, contamination is something of a concern. My systems were infiltrated during the excitement in the lab. That was where they got the data for the construct's design. No sign of any additional surprises, but... well. I'll need a full scan sooner than not I've been careful enough to keep BP-X away from the more sensitive bits of my chassis, but I'm in pretty dire need of an overhaul. Once things cool down and I can get back to the workshop, I have something fabricating that should be able to address these concerns in a more permanent fashion."

"As for why they're here? Well, it has to do with the lab. Messing with that was what woke BP-X up in the first place. There's something big going on. Might have started with them trying to figure out the signal, but it's sure not going to stop there."

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

Elizabeth crossed her arms over her chest and cocked her head to the side appraisingly. She didn’t seem suspicious, more like she was trying to judge Naomi’s intent.

“Are you suggesting we should do something about it?” she asked guardedly.

[13:24] <JusticeGrieves> Trying to Pierce BP's Mask ... or, more accurately, her artificial face
[13:24] <Krysmbot> JusticeGrieves, 11+1 = 12
- What do you care about the most right now?
- What do you intend to do?
- What weakness are you hiding?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Naomi looked Elizabeth straight in the eyes, "Yeah. Not right away, necessarily, but we're on their radar. I'm not trying to be a hero or anything -- this fight is going to come to us whether we're ready or not." Her eyes shifted downward a bit. A moment of vulnerability. A crack in her facade. "I'm not going to get blindsided again. Not like before."

quote:

What do you care about the most right now? Naomi is invested in patching things up with Expat by demonstrating trust in her and keeping her informed about the situation. She's still fresh from the mansion mission and hasn't had a chance to process things out like the rest of the team, so she may consider the situation more tense than it actually is.

What do you intend to do? After a chance to regroup and rearm in New Genesis, Naomi will start trying to lead the team in the direction of figuring out what the Dormant Ones were up to and figure out a way to foil their ambitions or, at the least, keep the team safe from their schemes.

What weakness are you hiding? Naomi is less confident in her system's integrity than she's letting on. Between the hack in the lab and the concerns Expat raised, there is definitely some paranoia that she may be serving as a trojan horse or subject to their control.

Her eyes flicked back up, her face assuming a serious expression, "But... I can't do it alone. You have information, skills, and contacts that I can't begin to match. I'm going to need your help to get to the bottom of this, Elizabeth."

quote:

[11:26:40] <Trickier> BP provokes Expat to help solve the mystery!
[11:26:43] <Trickier> !r 2d6+1
[11:26:45] <Krysmbot> Trickier, 8+1 =

Friendly provoke since Expat is one of the good ones! +Plan if she agrees.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

“Hero Central is going to be all over this, you know?” Elisabeth said, glancing aside, “We did way too much damage to the manor grounds for them to claim it isn’t a crime scene, and the way you blasted out of that sub-basement? It’s not like they can hide its existence. It’s their job to look into possible alien invasions an illegal human experimentation, they’re not just going to let it sit.” She tapped a finger against her jacket sleeve.

“…When I got out of the hero game, I told myself the only reason I’d care about another alien invasion was if I could figure out how to steal a mothership.” She muttered, closing her eyes and shaking her head. The mole man thing didn’t count. At least, that’s what she told herself. The silence stretched on uncomfortably until it was terminated with a forlorn sigh.

“Bruckenstein Castle.” She finally said. “It was Biomancer’s base of operations back during World War II and most of the sixties and seventies. It burned down in a fight with the Freedom Force eventually, and it stood empty for a long time after.” She reached into her pocket and retrieved her phone, pulling up a bookmarked webpage, the screen dominated by a severe castle built onto the slope of a mountain peak “A historical society finished repairs on it a little before I went rogue … I happened to see Dad looking over the construction company’s official invoices for the job.”

“People who live as long as Dad can be weirdly sentimental about the past.” She said, glancing at the phone, “If Dr. Zellerbach is associating with the Dormant Ones, this is the best lead I’ve got on his location. Even if he hasn’t hidden a laboratory in its walls again, he’ll have stopped by to see the quality of the restoration.”

“I was going to check it out after the job here in Paris … whatever that ends up being.” Of course, her reasons had had nothing to do with the Dormant Ones before. Serendipity, she supposed. “Assuming the people at the lab wiped their hard drives before Hero Central got there, this might be an angle they’re not exploring.”

Bah, fine.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Phantom Thief

Quite curious! This shop seems a lot more used than it actually looks like. Mostly by heroes, it seems! They're trying to hide it, but someone as trained as you immediately notices a secret passageway in the the bookshelf. Most likely where they keep the real good stuff - you know, tomes and stuff. They're some of the most valuable items for magic-using heroes, so after a while the hero organizations started hiding them off-site since a lot of supervillains started raiding the headquarters solely for the magic books.

This might be worth looking into...

Everyone

Later that day...

Your various side ventures completed (describe those if you wish), you eventually meet up back in the BRANCH building once more.

Let's get back to actual capering now. :)

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 2, 2017

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 1/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: None! | Location: Clandestine Meeting -> Caper Planning

The silence was stifling as the two stood looking at each other. A grin broke across Naomi's face as Elizabeth finally agreed to help. She mused, "A secret lab in a castle? Can't argue with the classics. It's a fair assumption that they won't get anything from the lab. I was... pretty thorough when I opened a path for myself and Phantom to escape from the swarm." That was something of an understatement. Given the amount of ammunition expended by her and her doppleganger during the exchange, it was something of a miracle that the mansion hadn't collapsed on their heads.

---

Back at BRANCH...

Naomi settled into her oversized chair and scanned across the assembled villains. She wondered who would have the best idea this time. Expatriot had come up with a pair of excellent strategies, but the group's execution tended towards a chaotic mess. It would be interesting to see if she would make another play for leadership or if, perhaps, Phantom Thief would push for some plot of his own. It was his home field, was it not? Perhaps he'd know of some unusual opportunities.

Of course, she was most interested in anything that would help her get a technological edge on the competition. Whether that was Variable Reduction's latest armaments or The Dormant Ones.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Fre: +0 | Dan: +2 | Tro: +1 | Sup: -2 | Men: +2
Curses! 1/5 | Conditions: | Infamy: 1

Netherwrath surprised everyone (herself included) by arriving at the BRANCH meeting a little early. Of course, that might've been because she hadn't known there'd been a meeting, and indeed had only returned to change into something that wouldn't burn off from something as petty as a natural gas explosion, but she rolled with it like she'd meant to do it the whole time. She set down her stolen bottle of finely aged, recently boiled whiskey on the table. "Compliments of the garkon on Vernert Street."

She saw BP looking over the team, and met her gaze with a raised eyebrow. Netherwrath, despite the vague beginnings of what could be called the distant relative of grudging respect, remained diametrically opposed to the cyborg in methodology, personality, and ambition. Whatever weird plan BP was cooking up would no doubt be some heist at a science lab or fighting advanced robots or whatever. Boring! No one cared when you blew up a robot - you couldn't build a rep that way. Netherwrath decided to head things off at the pass. "So...stealing the Eiffel Tower, right? Not as fun as blowing it up, but ransoming has its perks, right?"

Netherwrath proposes stealing the Eiffel Tower, because frankly someone has to and it might as well be her.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Freak: +1 | Danger: -1 | Trouble: +1 | Superior: 0 | Menace: +2
Curses!: 4/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: France of DOOM

Sunlight glinted off the hood of the Flickerwisp as it cruised across the autobahn, far faster than was wise, zig-zagging between lanes, blinking large swathes of road at a time whenever the opportunity presented itself. Whisperwind, at the wheel, listened with some bemusement (expertly hidden by his illusionary countenance) as Anarchy prattled on and on about whatever festivals and cons she wanted to visit. Thus far, he had managed to draw up a little loop across northern Europe, featuring events in Germany, Poland, Sweden, Netherlands and France. If they hurried, they should be able to make it with Flickerwisp.

_________

"Haha."

Whisperwind eyed the repurposed hangar building at the outskirts of Stockholm, "Teknöbårk, huh. I suppose you always were more about loud noise than sense. Anyway, have fun~" He pecked his girlfriend on the forehead, and then he was gone. Gone to trawl through historical sites of arcane relevance, through old antique shops that might have something that he was looking for. Germany and Poland, whilst they most certainly should have had something for him, he had failed to find anything in due to time constraints. But he had a good feeling this time around.

_________

"Hi"

Whisperwind was at the BRANCH building it seemed. How long had he been there? Hard to say.

"So, what's it going to be this time around, boss? Ready to lead us through yet another exercise in utter failure to show us how great and professional you are?"

"Haha."

Indeed, it was the same old Whisperwind. But his heart didn't seem to be in it, for he seemed more focused on some strange book that he was lazily leafing through. A little something that he had managed to nick from an eccentric collector of antiques, a book allegedly belonging to the high court mage of Gustav II Adolf himself. Something that had struck his eye, for its covers were blank and without title, except for a single rune. One that he was intimately familiar with for it was sewn across his throat.

He leafed through a couple more pages.

Man.

If only he knew any Swedish.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

Curses!: 0/5 | Conditions: All Clear! | Location: The Parisian Branch Office of BRANCH

Inside the cozy space that BRANCH had assigned them, Elizabeth lay across the back of the couch leaving the perfectly good cushions available for someone else to use. One hand tucked behind her head, she held her phone over her head as she scrolled through something. A map of Paris and a few tourist brochures were spread across the coffee table, red, black, and blue lines scrawled across them here and there. The waste bin was lined with a layer of wadded up paper, plans she’d discarded for one reason or another.

“Welcome back.” She said, waving her hand with the phone in greeting, though she sounded…annoyed. She still hadn’t settled on a job she liked, but everyone had wandered back after taking an opportunity to enjoy the city, so she supposed she was just going to have to plow forward with what she had. She pulled her ear buds out, shifting to sit up, planting one boot along the arm of the couch and tucking her other foot under her.

“Nope.” She responded to Whisperwind’s prodding, “There’s no other BRANCH team relying on us, and our finances are sorted for a while. I think the time’s finally come for us to pick a fight, establish the whole team as a threat as opposed to just being a bunch of crooks with some big guns.”

“In another city, I’d say we should just blow something up, but Paris is dealing with a bit too much terrorism lately. If we really want to stick in the public conscious, we’re going to need to really twist the knife. Give people a reason to really root for the heroes, so it’ll stick with them when we come out on top.”

“The Eiffel Tower … it could work, but Zeremiah makes it sound like it happens too regularly. It might lack punch.” She said, nodding to Netherwrath, “So, I’m going to suggest we hit the Louvre instead. Public venue, plenty of room to scrap, hundreds of thousands of pricy art pieces to grab…” she smiled slightly.

“And, just to make sure they don’t forget us any time soon, I say we fill one of their wings with an exhibit about us. Play up the egomania a bit and give them something to talk about when we’re gone.”

Expatriot proposes the team "submit" a self-aggrandizing exhibit to the Louvre, and take whatever was supposed to be there with them when they leave

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 4, 2017

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Freak: 0 | Danger: -1 | Trouble: +1 | Superior: +2 | Menace: +1
Curses!: 0/5 | Infamy: 2 | Conditions: Paranoid | Location: BRANCH, Paris

"Yeah! Teknöbårk!" Anarchy turns around and stares at the site of the Swedish music fest with wide-eyed wonder. "It's gonna be SO FRICKEN LIT! Come on, Whisper! Let's-"

She turns back around. Oh. He's gone. "What?! UGHHH! Come ON!" Anarchy kicks the ground, sending up a small cloud of dust and dirt. "If you didn't like music you could have SAID SO!"

Then Anarchy crosses her arms and makes a grumpy face. "Ooh, look at meee. I'm Whisper," she says, doing something that vaguely resembles an impression of him. "I can drive my girlfriend around Europe but I'm too laaame for music. I'm dumb and I loooove to get owned."

"Ha ha."

---

Anarchy makes her re-entrance back at Paris by kicking open the door.

"Ey, YO!" She shouts, flashing some sort of gang sign or something as best she can while big, heavy bags hang from both of her arms. "What's UP! Anarchy dot Ee-Ex-Ee back in the HIZZOUSE!"

"Check out what I GOT!" Anarchy digs into her bags and starts pulling out and throwing around souvenirs she bought while out on the road trip. It's a whole bunch of crap that's either tacky, expensive, or just weird. Like glass swans, or Polish hussar wings. There's also a whole bunch of Teknöbårk merch, too.

"Oh! Right!" Anarchy gasps when she looks down at the music festival merchandise, as if she suddenly remembers something. Then she turns her head around and looks at Whisperwind with a strangely dangerous grin. "How was YOUR last part of the trip, honey? Did you have FUN while you were GONE?"

Anarchy narrows her eyes and grins even wider. Then she walks over to where her boyfriend's sitting and looks down at his new book. "Oh, what's this?" She bends over and stares at the cover real closely. "A diary? No..."

"Lemme see!" She orders, and before he really even has a chance to respond she just kind of forcibly climbs into his lap. "Wow, is this what you left me behind for? Didn't know you were into books..." Anarchy rolls her eyes, and then starts flipping through it herself.

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet... Oh, whatever." Anarchy pretends to read the book for a little bit, then pulls out her phone and just starts taking pictures of the pages. "So what's this all about? Hmmm?"

Anarchy leans back and stick her head under Whisper's and actually looks at him face-to-face. "Something important? Hahaha."

She stares at him for a few seconds, before she jerks her head back out from under his hood and looks at everyone else. "Oh yeah, what were we talking about? Right! We're planning a Caper~!" Then she tilts her head a little. "Weren't we supposed to do that yesterday? Whatever."

Anarchy wiggles around in Whisper's lap. "I like Ex-Pee's idea! I mean, art's so cliche but- We could really do a LOT there. Like, classical art? Boring. But hack in, paint it, and maybe 3D-print a real aesthetic over it? Now we're talking."

"I mean, that's the place with all those paintings and statues, right? The ones they use for Vaporwave? It's just BEGGING for an upgrade!"

<Takanago> Anarchy dot ee-ex-ee pierces Whisper
<Takanago> wind's dumb mask
<Takanago> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Takanago, 5+2 = 7
Whisper is free to Known Unknown out of this if he wants... but if he doesn't or it doesn't work, I'm asking:

What do you care about most right now?

Also Anarchy seconds Ex-P's plan.

Takanago fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 6, 2017

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Curses!: 4/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: France of DOOM

"Haha."

Whisperwind answered, in his usual tone.

"No need to get your cute little panties in a twist honey~"

"Honestly, I'm sorry that I couldn't spend more time with you, but there was some really important magic business I wanted to get done here in Europe, and our timetable was too tight to fit both your thing and mine. Maybe next time."

He tussles Anarchy's hair in an almost disgustingly adorable way.

"As for the proposed caper? Really unimaginative. Which, I suppose, is to be expected taken who it comes from."

"Haha."

"But hey, I can appreciate no-nonsense villainy. So I have no objection."

Whisperwind returned to his book.

Takanago posted:

What do you care about most right now?

You can tell that Whisperwind seems to be legitimately sorry he couldn't join you, since he both likes spending time with you and is also very much into music himself. Thus you can surmise that whatever is in that book must be very important because he pursued his own thing to the exclusion of all else on the trip. Or perhaps it wasn't about the book at all? It has that icon that you've seen faintly glow on his throat when you've peeked under his hood, so perhaps this was all about that instead. Whisperwind has never gone into it in detail, but it seems that it is much, much more important than he's letting on.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Fre: -3 | Dan: +1 | Tro: +3 | Sup: +1 | Men: +1
Curses! 1/5 | Conditions: | Location: BRANCH, Paris branch | Infamy: 2

"Well, well, well. A store for superheroes, huh? I wonder whether I could help myself to some goodies later on. Or perhaps remember this place for our next caper. I wonder if they have flying broomsticks?"

He thought about this for some seconds. "Yep, that sounds like a good way to get people off our trail. Nobody expects an escape vehicle to crash into a bookstore and the occupants to scatter on broomsticks, flying carpets and teleportation spells."

He marked the location down on his physical tourist map, and pinned it on his smartphone maps app. Then, he looked forward to visiting the city a bit.

----

Her name was Marie-Elise. Arsène had met her in front of the university of Sorbonne, as he was skulking around the art faculty. That's where she saw him eyeing some B-grade exhibit in a hallway, which he had been judging as a possible bounty and she had been judging as a possible work of art. From the corner of his eye, he noticed her multi-coloured scarf, which had once been fashionable to somebody's grandmother, and thus had seen a resurgence in popularity this year. Her face was partially obscured by a beret and an expensive set of sunglasses, but his attention was drawn to the elegant mole above her thin lips, and her dark, curly hair. She was pretty.

She hadn't looked at him.
She had asked him if he had a light.

To the French, this was basically a mating display.

They had stood outside in the cold weather in silence, staring at the empty afternoon street as she drew from her cigarette. When she was done, she thanked him, and asked if he would be interested in having a cup of coffee that evening. He had said he was busy. She had nodded - Arsène was still following dating protocol to a T - and she had asked if he was busy on Saturday. He had said he could make time.

It was now Saturday evening, and they were sipping cappuccinos at a rooftop café near the Champs Elysées. The illuminated Eiffel tower was visible in the distance.

Arsène told her about his many travels, mostly the various museums he had visited around the world. (He did not mention what had happened to the exhibits he liked.) She, in turn, told about her studies at the art academy, and the prize her avant-garde short film was poised to earn in Cannes. She was proud, and rightly so.

Arsène looked at the Eiffel tower and sighed with the right amount of lassitude. "Isn't it beautiful? La France truly has the most gorgeous monuments in the world."
She blew some smoke in the air. "What about the Statue of Liberty?"
"Frenchmen designed and made that."
"It's not in France, though."
"True. Maybe it ought to be?"

She smiled briefly. "What are you suggesting? Bringing one of those small souvenirs of Lady Liberty and putting it at Montmartre?"
He laughed. "Why not the real thing? I heard people have tried to steal the Eiffel to-"

It dawned upon him.

He looked at his watch. It was 8:34 PM.

"Oh zut alors! I'm late for my rendez-vous!"

Marie-Elise put out her cigarette as he stood up and called a garçon for the bill. "What? You are leaving so suddenly?"
"I'm dreadfully sorry, my dear!"
"Will I see you again?"
Arsène didn't even wait for the garçon to put the bill on the table, but pressed a Euro note in his hands which covered the tab and then some. "Maybe."

He rushed down the stairs of the café, onto the street, and hopped on his (stolen) rental bike. Pedaling as fast as he could, he made his way to Branch HQ in Paris.

------

A panting, exhausted Phantom Thief crashed through the door and joined the caper discussion.
"I am - gasp - so very sorry - wheeze - for the delay."
He made his way to a seat and broke into a coughing fit.

He poured himself a glass of water and listened to the discussion in silence to catch up with the topic. When he finished his third glass, he made a nonchalant wave with his hand in Expatriot's direction, and weakly added: "I agree with Expat. Sounds like a plan."

Phantom Thief backs Expat's caper.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 7, 2017

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 1/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: None! | Location: The Comfiest of Chairs

Naomi's scanners played across the room as the group slowly settled on Expatriot's plan to rob the Louvre. Phantom Thief was displaying an elevated heart rate and his clothing was emitting trace amounts of tobacco-based smoke. Was that a small drip of coffee on his outfit? Clearly he had been working his French wiles upon some unsuspecting lady up until the last moment. His dedication to his shtick was impressive in its own way. She closed her eyes briefly, remembering the kiss, then brought herself back to the present.

Anarchy and Whisperwind seemed to be experiencing some sort of domestic trouble. Naomi tried not to think about the pair too much, though the book the two were fussing over seemed important. Or, at the very least, important to Whisperwind. He'd surely be up to something during the coming mission, given his prior track record. Perhaps finding another magic book? It was of little concern, of course, but it had been most satisfying seeing through his plot.

Netherwrath presented something of an enigma. It seemed that she was settling down as the team worked together, but she still was a bit of an unknown quantity. Her continued ties to Whisperwind didn't help, of course, but if she could see through Whisperwind she would certainly have a fair idea of what Netherwrath would do. A whiff of natural gas clung to her. An explosion? It seemed like she had been busy during the downtime.

Finally, her sensors turned to Expatriot. It hadn't been terribly long since their clandestine meeting, but the plan seemed sound. It would also be a show of their newfound solidarity to support her plan. And, of course, she had always wanted a glass pyramid for one of the Sinclair Industries buildings. Her face shifted into a grin, "The Louvre, huh? Nothing quite like knocking over the biggest museum in the world to make a statement. I'm in."

Breaking Point, likewise, votes for Expatriot's plan.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Caper is go! Ex-Patriot, describe the scene.

After some quick intel gathering, you've come to the following conclusions:

quote:

First, you must disable any alarms and communications systems. Largely because of the second plank.

You must take out the stationed teen heroes. The resident hero's have a program where a bunch of teen heroes get to guard special places like the Louvre if they're on good behavior.

You'll have to escape via something unexpected. The Louvre is a very public place and just driving away won't work.

You must seize the artworks, and replace them with your own stuff.

Starting heat of the caper is 2.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 1/5 | Infamy! 2 | Conditions: None! | Location: The Louvre

It was a quiet night as Breaking Point softly hovered over the grounds of the Louvre. The wiring on the alarms and sensors all led back into a hub in a building off to the side. That was her target. The glass pyramid twinkled as the lights of the city played across it. She took a long, wistful look at it, imagining it featured prominently on the roof of Sinclair's corporate HQ, then shook her head. That would come later. For now, the team required her aid in stopping any calls for help. Certainly important if Netherwrath decided to punch another building or Anarchy... well, if Anarchy showed up at all. It seemed that she was literally incapable of acting with discretion. It was a good thing she was strangely charming. As much as the earlier betrayal galled her, it was a small matter in the grand scheme of things. The company had survived. Everyone else seemed to have forgiven her. It would be gauche not to follow suit.

Breaking Point glided over to the door. It was connected to the alarm system, of course, but she had an ace in the hole. A quick transmission sent a small wire of nanomachines spooling through the door's locking mechanism and into the hub proper. It crept across the floor, carefully avoiding the dozing security chief, then began feeding itself into an access port on the mainframe. The nanites detached from her chassis after a moment and she allowed herself a self-satisfied grin. It was simply a matter of time.

Her entrance had required little effort -- it seemed likely that the French expected their on-call interns to pick up the slack where their security systems fell short. It was of little concern to her. If nothing else, the night's activities would certainly provide the impetus for the complete overhaul of their security setup. An overhaul that Pointed Solutions would be well-equipped to provide. They should be thankful! Few would have their systems as well tested as the museum will by the end of the night. The holes and loopholes that her sensors -- with the aid of her newfound ally, BP-X -- had identified would certainly be filled. It'd be a real pity for any would-be copycats. An endless series of false openings culminating in highly lethal ordinance would be all that awaited them.

She clicked open her comms, "This is Breaking Point. I'm in position by the communications hub. Alarms and communications will be offline in 3, 2, 1..." The rope of nanites finished creeping into the system. It took less than a second afterward for it to assume complete control of their system. Cameras began to loop footage. False all-clears were indicated across their sensor grid. Their vaunted alarms and sensors were worth little more than scrap. "All clear. We are good to proceed."

quote:

12:52 PM <Tricky> BP is definitely going to take care of the alarms this time! (Execute w/ 3 plan)
12:53 PM <Tricky> !r 2d6+3
12:53 PM <Krysmbot> Tricky, 7+3 =

That's the first plank and BP marks her triumphant return to villainy with more delicious Infamy.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Freak: +1 | Danger: -2 | Trouble: +1 | Superior: +2 | Menace: +1
Curses!: 3/5 | Infamy: 1| Conditions: | Location: The Louvre

One of the cool things about doing a Caper in a public place is that you get to infiltrate it in advance. The only downside is that you have to do it in disguise. Most of the time this means dressing like some normie, but sometimes...

"Heh heh heh..." Anarchy laughs as she strolls through the museum halls, wearing what could best be described as some kind of Vaporwave Cosplay. She's ditched her usual green outfit for a rather lively teal and pink one, covered in a whole bunch of distinctly 90's-themed pins and accessories. It's not the most subtle thing in the world, and might even be the opposite... but it's not like the forces of justice are on the lookout for any Vaporwave-themed villains. And Vaporwave kind of fits in at a classical art museum... right?

"Aw Yiss!" Anarchy squeals as she spots the real version of the very same greco-roman bust she is wearing a pin of on her chest. She does a little dance, then runs up to it (pushing some dumb tourists out of the way), and in a massive breach of museum etiquette puts her arm around it and takes a selfie with it. "Hashtag SQUAD GOAAALS! Hee hee!"

As she takes her hand off of it, she leaves behind a tiny electronic device. A fun little present for later. And then she goes and repeats the process with the other sculptures in the exhibit, very impolitely putting her grubby little hands on the art and leaving behind some tiny, physical malware. A true mastermind prepares a plan in advance, after all. Or just leaves a whole bunch of crap to improvise with later. Either way works.

"Hmmhm hmmhm hm hmm mhmm!" Anarchy hums as she skips and dances through a different section. By now she'd left a great deal of fun presents around, and taken a whole bunch of cool pics. And all that was left to just wait to unleash her creative GENIUS!

"All clear. We are good to proceed."
BP's voice speaks up over the radio.

"Ah! That's my cue!" Anarchy exclaims, and hurriedly starts messing around with her phone.

"[img posted:

http://i.imgur.com/hZ3NE1h.png[/img] ANARCHY OS - Command Prompt"]CURRENTLY CONNECTED TO:
197 Audio Devices
413 Lighting Devices

ENTER COMMAND:
>activate aesthetic.exe

Activating...

And then, suddenly, some very funky music starts playing over the museum loudspeakers. At the same time, a whole bunch of lights flicker off, and when they come back on they've taken a noticeably pink or blue tint. If anyone were hoping that this caper would somehow be subtle, the chances of that probably are starting to go away very quickly...

"OKAY!!" Anarchy holds her phone up to her mouth and yells, broadcasting her voice all around. "PEONS! PLEBES! PREPARE YOURSELVES FOR A NEW AESTHETIC!"

Takanago> Anarchy shows her hand and her AESTHETIC
<Takanago> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Takanago, 7+1 = 8
Choosing to burn a plan because conditions are for losers am i right

Takanago fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 16, 2017

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

Curses!: 0/5 | Conditions: All Clear! | Location: The Louvre

Hidden deep in an alcove, Expatriot overlooked the tiered floor of a statue garden, her visor glowing lowly in the shadows. The bassline of Anarchy.exe's choice in music kicked her solidly in the chest, even if the ear covers on her mask protected her heightened hearing from the music rebounding off the vaulted cielings with stadium quality sound. Teal and pink lights flashed disorientingly from every direction.

As she hefted a heavy micro-rocket launcher up onto her shoulder, she allowed herself a wicked smile, recalling the words of a German strategist she'd read once in another life. The reason the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the American Army practices chaos on a daily basis. Maybe there was something to that, it had taken three jobs but she finally felt like she was getting the hang of ridingnthe wave of chaos that seemed to follow all their operations instead of getting dragged into its undertow. The enemy was scattered, disoriented, and their communications were jammed. There was not better time to crush them.

Her HUD rang with a lock-on tone as a half dozen crimson silhoettes glowed in her vision, each bracketed by a diamond. She pulled the trigger, a dull WHUMP accompanying the launch of a salvo of rockets, each self-guided projectile swerving around statues and arching at the branches in the hall as it sought out its own target. Expatriot let the launcher fall carelessly to the floor as she sprung out into the main room, bouncing along as she chased the projectiles with a few flips and flourishes for good measure, hand-springing off of a white marble nude as thecleared the chamber.

The warheads had airbursted as they'd approached their targets, billowing clouds of green gas filling the air around them. A quick turn of her head showed her two figures staggering and clutching their throats, but also a bubble-like forcefield down one hall, two more shadowy figures striding out of the smoke.

Expatriot's left arm snapped up, her right drawing back the sleeve of her jacket to clear the slender barrel fitted to her forearm. There was a low crack as a miniaturized ion discharge guided a magnetically charged needle along its flight path. The bubble rippled unstabley before suddenly bursting, the poisoned needle finding its mark through the gas.

"<Fae magic's still no good against cold iron, huh?>" she remarked smugly, slipping into French for the benefit of the locals. The other figure who'd been under the shield, however, hadn't been foolish enough to stay put as the gas closed around them again. They'd jumped high, their outline hard to make out in the pulsing lights. Expatriot shrugged slightly, drawing the handgun she'd threatened Zeremiah with earlier, her training putting yhe muzzle on-target in one smooth motion.

Against the flashing lights, she saw a flash of red, white, and blue. Her heart tried to claw its way into her throat, her trigger finger hesitating as she swallowed it back down. A rapier sliced cleanly through her gun, and Expatriot ducked as the magically sharp blade twisted for her throat.

There was a swirl of layered skirts in red, white, and blue as the swordswoman stepped into a practiced fighting stance, white calf-high boots and a blue and white blouse with a domino mask seeming clear in the light. No one Expatriot had met, despite her kneejerk reaction to the colors. As the tip of the blade rose in the classic En Garde position, Expatriot drew a knife, narrowing her eyes behind her mask as the other girl gave a superior smirk.

"<Tricolour found herself a successor, hmn?>" Expatriot shouted to be heard over the triving thump of the music, nodding towards the sword in recognition. The blade flashed forward, Expatriot barely pushing the point off target as she deflected the testing jab.

"<A better one than some, I'd say.>" came the response, light and haughty as she pressed Expatriot's defenses with a few more artful slashes. She was good.

"<Don't be like that.>" Expatriot responded, stepping in quickly though her lunge was thwarted with a few quick steps back, "<What ever happened to Long Live the Revolution and all that?>"

"<I think you will find->" Tricolour said, lining up for her next advance, "<France has little patience for terrorists at the moment.>"

There was another lunge, but this time Expatriot stepped into it, reversing the grip on her knife and drawing it alongside the rapier as she pushed it aside and stepped in. A square heel came down on Expatriot's toes with enough force to break the bone, but Expatriot responded with a sharp headbutt to Tricolour's pert nose. Tricolour moved to seperate again, but Expatriot got ahold of hermshoulder, pivoting and using her enhanced strength to pitch the girl over her shoulder.

She glanced over her shoulder as she heard the heavy collission of bodies, the colorful fencer having impacted a young man with a bird-themed costume, bringing him to the ground with her in a tangle of limbs. Behind them, the heavy trod of another figure in knight-inspired power armor was hustling through the painting-covered hall. She couldn't hear them over the music, but she could be sure he wasn't the only one on the way.

Time for the next step, she thought as she ripped a grenade from its hook under her jacket. She pitched it hard directly at the knight, watching just long enough to see him snatch it out of the air and hug it tightly to his chest. It seemed he trusted his armor to protect both the other heroes and the art scattered on the walls, but Expatriot didn't stick around to see if the gambit paid off, rushing down the hall the other way (though, admittedly, with a bit of a limp to slow her down).

"Netherwrath!" she called, pressing a hand to her mask and hoping the sound dampening would let her be heard over Anarchy.exe's display, "Leading a bunch of pissed off heroes your way. They're all in a bunch, a perfect target for you!" that wicked smile crossed her lips again, though the mask hid it as she dared a look over her shoulder.

Cooking Up A Dangerous Scheme: 2d6+2 8
Exhausting the Arsenal and adding +1 Plan to the pot.

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 19, 2017

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses!: 4/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: Louvre of le DOOM

The radiant, strobe-like lightshow danced across the walls and the halls of the Louvre, off the faces and uniforms of the staff, off the costumes of the heroes posted there, and off one drab, gray hoodie with a grinning visage flickering under it. Whisperwind walked, blinked and otherwise made his way across the museum, feeling no particular need for extra subtlety with the alarms off, taking his time inspecting various pieces of artwork he was confident Jack would take an interest in. Indeed, he seemed rather disinterested in the whole caper, until he heard Expatriot yelling something.

"Haha", the comms crackled.

"The third time's the charm, huh? Think that starting the third job on a row with punching is going to end up better than the two other times?"

"Punching is good, of course, and I appreciate people with mastery in the art of punching, but I find it a bit worrying that our esteemed leader seemingly has no tools other than endless violence in her toolbox. Maybe your supersoldier mutant brain is too malformed to be capable of considering other options?"

"Haha."

"Seriously though. I'll prove it even. I'll deal with this whole thing with far less fuss. If you'll just let me, boss."

quote:

Theantero WW does the thing he does best namely Rebuking his allies (+1 from Influence)
03:53 Theantero !r 2d6+3
03:53 Krysmbot Theantero, 4+3 = 7
Also poo poo this is Expat which I forgot to mention on the roll

If you heed me (that is recognize the point WW is making), you get the good thing.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Curses! 1/5 | Conditions: | Infamy: 1

Netherwrath in infiltration mode was wearing a new shirt over her standard villain outfit, and carrying a length of sealed PVC piping on her back, the contents of which she refused to say. Regardless, once the robbery started, she knew her job was to intercept and neutralize any heavy hitters that responded. And true to Expatriot's warning, a gaudy fencer, a bird-boy, and one tin soldier came around the corner, and froze when they saw the little tableau Netherwrath had set up.

"I really hope you fuckers parley vooz Englayz, 'because I'm trying a thing here!" Netherwrath bellowed to be heard over the music. If she'd had time, she'd have gotten out her audio override device and put on her theme music instead. Oh well, one had to make do. She was standing in the exact centre of an open area, a sort of small rounded hall with exits at north and south and paintings lining the wall. Or at least, paintings used to line the wall. Netherwrath had pulled them from their proper places and casually piled them up against the western wall. She had one hand pointed at them, and it crackled with demonic energies. Her other hand was pointed at the eastern wall, where a small group of hostages cowered in fear (after she broke a few of a security guard's limbs, they'd taken her threats rather seriously).

"To my left, according to those handy little placards, are the last surviving paintings of Jean Fragonard, an irreplaceable part of French history! My, what failures you'd be as heroes if you let these be destroyed! You'd probably be drummed right out of Les Miserables or whatever you call yourselves. To my right are a bunch of random-rear end tourists and art students! If I blast them into itty bitty pieces, I'm sure people will be sad, but I'm a supervillain, and the world understands that you can't always prevent collateral damage, right?"

Netherwrath flashed the heroes a winning smile. "I know it's pretty cliche, but I'm going to let you pick which one I destroy! You can be the brave heroes who rescued national treasures from the hand of a maniac, or you can explain to the world that you traded them for a guy who thought a faux-hawk with frosted tips was a good idea." One of her hostages looked like he was about to object to that assessment, but she twitched a finger and he thought better of it. In truth, Netherwrath didn't much care about the art or the hostages. She wanted to see if she could bait some heroes into making a selfish decision which she could record on her phone, and barring that, ethical dilemmas were a great way to get heroes to drop their guards in contemplation before she clobbered the poo poo out of them. Win-win!

[21:39] Green_Bean Either way, Distract the incoming heroes!
[21:39] Green_Bean !r 2d6+2
[21:39] Krysmbot Green_Bean, 8+2 = 10

I'll choose 'You get an opportunity', and 'You avoid immediate retaliation for this.'

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Fre: -3 | Dan: +1 | Tro: +3 | Sup: +1 | Men: +1
Curses! 1/5 | Conditions: Doubting | Location: Paris sewers | Infamy: 2

Phantom Thief walked through the Parisian catacombs and sewers with a map in his left hand, and his phone in his right, using it as a flashlight to find his way. He had checked multiple routes, done them several times to remember them by heart, and marked important intersections with chalk. Their escape route was more or less clear now. If they were to escape via these, he could lead the team straight to the magical store he'd found earlier that week. With some luck, they would be able to escape in the confusion caused by ransacking the place, and they could fly off on a bunch of brooms or something. He smiled as he walked back to the Louvre.

At the end of the tunnels, he hear Anarchy's... Music?... before he saw the lightshow the rest of the team was creating. He came to the grate in the basement where they stored works of art in between expositions, and unscrewed it, which took considerable effort by reaching through the steel bars in the grate and twisting his wrist uncomfortably. Eventually, he did get it loose enough to kick it out. He ran up the stairs, into the Louvre's expo halls, and his heart skipped a beat when he saw the carnage about to be caused. "Whoa, friends! I didn't expect the caper to involve busting up the place!"

He unholstered a revolver (loaded with sleeping darts, naturally) and half-heartedly took cover near Expatriot. "Could we, uh, not? Permanently wreck this place? It's kind of a national monument, and, well...I'm French."

quote:

21:12 Deltasquid Phantom Thief cooks up a scheme!
21:12 Deltasquid He prepares an escape route for the team through the sewers
21:12 Deltasquid !r 2d6+3
21:12 Krysmbot Deltasquid, 6+3 = 9

Marking 'Doubting'.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses!: 4/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: None | Location: Louvre of le DOOM

The heroes stood, faltering, unsure as they faced the grinning Netherwrath, unsure of what path to take or how to proceed. Perhaps if they weren't so young they'd know better, but right now their minds were cloudy. And cloudy minds were the perfect breeding ground for suggestion.

"Haha."

Whisperwind's arm wrapped around the shoulder of the boy in the bird costume, his illusionary visage glinting menacingly from behind the young man.

"Oh man", Whisperwind cooed softly, "What a dilemma. A scary looking demon woman is trying to make you do hard choices", the young heroes parlayed among themselves, apparently unaware of Whisperwind as he paced around them, occasionally whispering into their ears conspiratorially, "Can't even do the whole french patented tactic of running away since you've kinda promised to stay here in the Louvre, huh?"

"Haha."

"No matter", he almost purred, which was not a sound you particularly wanted to hear, "Such hard decisions aren't meant to be made on the spot anyway are they? Have a union mandated break since we love those unions here in France don't we?", Whisperwind withdrew a number of glow sticks from his pockets and waved them around, the heroes now following them as if transfixed, "Hey, the music and lights are already here, so why not go the whole way? Throw a little rave. Certainly the higher ups would understand~"

Whisperwind gave Netherwrath a thumbs up as the heroes grabbed their respective sticks and proceeded to party down and had his mask perform a wink at one of the security cameras for his girlfriend.

And then he was gone, as suddenly as he had appeared.

quote:

Theantero: WW Executes the plan to remove the heroes HIS way, burning 1 plan (also +1 from Agenda ooh WHAT COULD IT MEAN!?)
Theantero: !r 2d6+2
Krysmbot: Theantero, 10+2 = 12

The heroes are now joining the staff to turn the whole Louvre into a giant rave, uncaring of the shenanigans we're getting up to.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

Having leapt comfortably out of the path between the heroes and Netherwrath, Expatriot folded her arms over her chest and watched things play out, her head cocked slightly to the side. When she saw Whisperwind, she made a gesture towards him, cupping her ear and then making an exaggerated shrug to indicate that she couldn't make out his voice over the din of the music.

"Heard the explosions, huh?" Expatriot said, clamping a hand on Phantom Thief's shoulder and pulling him closer so she could be better heard.

"Don't worry!" she called, "It was just knock-out gas, tranq darts, a neuro-stunner, and a flashbang; low-impact weaponry. I want positive news coverage for this stunt, after all." she said, flashing Whisperwind a thumbs-up once the heroes started their erratic gyrations to the tune, "Taking them all out at once minimizes the chances for a prolonged fight that might get out of hand."

"Of course, someone keeps pointing out that I don't speak for everyone." she said, rolling her eyes slightly before swinging an arm low to slap Phantom Thief square on the rump with enough force to lift him up and stagger him forward (an odd effect in the strobing lights), "Why don't you distract Max for me while I start clearing out a room for our exhibit. We don't want her handling antiques with her powers, after all, and you can shrink the pile when you catch up." she said, dancing back a few steps before making a snap-turn on her heel with a wave and dashing off.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

:siren:Everyone: Phantom Thief just found one of the prizes: The Crystal Staff. :siren:

Phantom Thief

With the threat averted, your eyes inspect the room closer. You feel almost hypnotized by it's beauty. It has to be the real one! The crystal staff of the Silver Witch. One of France's greatest heroes. You remember her quite vividly, don't you? Especially... after THAT event. One of the heroes you looked up to the most when you were younger. Unfortunately, she passed away a few months ago.

But this thing... it HAS to be her staff. One of the most powerful magical items every made, handcrafted by the Silver Witch. It's worth millions, quite possibly more. Collectors want it. Mages want it. YOU want it.

... The problem is, it's quite possibly the most securely protected item in the entire building.

Describe the defenses, and how you bypass them, if you intend to.

Also, what happened between you and the Silver Witch that made you adore her?

Breaking Point

BP-X returns to you, and not a second too late. Your radar picks up two more incoming heroes, but they haven't revealed themselves yet. What do you intend to do about that?

Also, it seems like BP-X has downloaded the schematics of the building, showcasing various defenses - and some cleverly hidden traps. Which is quite useful, and you should probably tell them to your team, but...

You never told it to?

Anarchy.Exe

The people around you cower in fear... and then cover their ears. Pfah! Those weaklings can't take the greatness of your aesthetic. They just don't understand.

... Uhm, it looks like the sound and lighting devices are dying under the strain.They can't take your greatness either! COME OOOONNNNNN.

Somebody in here has to share your incredible taste in music and visuals, right?

Oh yeah, Whisperwind is! He started a loving rave! With the heroes! That's kick rear end! In fact, you almost feel compelled to join in!

Netherwrath

Hey, check it out. One of the heroes Whisperwind compelled to dance dropped something! It looks like some sort of ID card. ... Wait, huh? What are the others going on about?

Oh, for fucks sake. You do a perfect job and people STILL think you're just a dumb brute and don't even trust you on keeping this stuff intact. They think they're talking quiet enough behind your back, but no, they're not.

How are you gonna get back at em?

Whisperwind

And once again, a smashing success on your end! At some point this team has to acknowledge that you're incredibly useful, and amazing, and funny, and great, right?

It seems today is not that day however! I mean, for fucks sake, Ex-Patriot even asked Phantom Thief to get Netherwrath to chill out... not you.

How are you gonna get back at em?

Ex-Patriot

You've come to realize, as much poo poo as you give Whisperwind (justified, of course), he's also proven incredibly useful so far. Make you should try to make it up to him in some way? Surely, it'd be an incredible partnership between the two of you if only you could just get him to act professionally.

Also, you're a bit worried. Anarchy's ear destroying music aside... It's been far too quiet. Is this some sort of trap? Are the heroes moving into position? Did an alert get through? There are far too many hostages. Maybe one got a phone call through? Can you really be sure!?

Everyone

Suddenly, a priority communication channel opening interrupts those that aren't too occupied to open it.

"Sorry to interrupt you all, I'm sure you're very busy," the all too familiar voice of Zeremiah opens up, with a quite sarcastic tone to it. "But I got something that'll probably be very much of interest to you all."

A dot appears on your communicator's map, as he stops talking for a moment. "Remember Little Judas? Turns out that jackass betrayed Hero Central. He sold out a couple hundred secret identities of heroes and villains alike to the highest bidder. I don't need to tell you how much of a crime that is. Regardless, he then disappeared again, only to resurface... in Paris. It seems your new friend has a sense of humor, Breaking Point." he explains. "Now, I'm not saying that Hero Central asked us to break about every bone in his body and then grow him some new ones to break as well, as that would be a very un-heroic thing to do... but they specifically asked us to deal with the matter... which amounts to just about the same. I pointed out his last known location on your map. It seems like you spooked him, however. So act fast if you want your revenge. He's not going to stick around."

An optional plank appears! Capture Little Judas and tell him what you think of his previous actions.

You have to do this before Heat reaches 4, all planks are complete, or the Jig is up in some other fashion. If you don't go after him within two prompts, he escapes.

If you succeed in doing this, everyone gets 2 points of Curses! because gently caress that guy.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses!: 4/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: Insecure | Location: Louvre of le DOOM

Whisperwind scoffed under his hood as he pocketed the Mona Lisa and replaced it with a drawn likeness of his illusionary visage (hell, fencing THIS thing would be a difficult task even for Jack). Expat was apparently trying that things where she tried to ignore him. Well, if that was how she wanted to play, he could humor her. She would learn that unless you went to some active effort to notice him, it was very easy indeed to lose track altogether. And he was not someone you wanted to let run without supervision.

It was purely t her loss, and his benefit. It wasn't as if he truly cared that she didn't take he bait.

Marking Insecure. Actually due to the Unleash roll later, but I felt it fit better here fluffwise

"Haha."

"Hey honeybun~"

The comms crackled as Whisperwind addressed his girlfriend.

"There any particular moves you want to see these heroes make I bet I could make this armored gu-" Whisperwind was unceremoniously interrupted by Zeremiah.

"Haha", a new sort of mocking tone could be noticed in Whisperwind's voice, even through the noise (it was a strange thing, that even though he was so quiet, that his voice somehow could pierce most background noise if he wanted to. Always at the edge of hearing regardless of if it was quiet or loud).

"He thinks he can run? Well, he never was the brightest tool in the shed was he."

Whisperwind closed his eyes for a moment and concentrated, blocking off all other sound, pinpointing the annoying voice and the breath of the traitor and extracting it from the background noise, finding his exact location in the complex.

"Haha."

"Found him."

quote:

Theantero: WW, Unleash to expand your senses and locate the treacherous heartbeat of Little Judas!
Theantero: !r 2d6+1
Krysmbot: Theantero, 8+1 = 9

As per Yami, we needed to locate that guy first if we want to execute the optional plan. Well, he is located now :v:

Also WW is sharing this info with the rest of the Team, so you know where he is too.

Marking Insecure due to rolling 7-9, not compromising the effect itself.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 20, 2017

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 1/5 | Infamy! 2 | Conditions: None! | Location: The Louvre

BP-X was startlingly efficient. It had not only accomplished its given task but taken the liberty to further plunder the Louvre's security database. Breaking Point's eyes narrowed as she considered the situation. It wasn't necessarily a problem if it took liberties to further her aims, but it did suggest a troubling potential for acting against her interests. The return to New Genesis and the production of her new chassis would do much to reassure her in her continued dealings with the swarm.

Her on-board tactical analysis suite searched through the data that BP-X was transmitting to her. The concentration of security systems present in a seemingly unimportant side corridor off of the Pavillon de Flore suggested that there may be something lurking within. Something quite valuable.

Breaking Point flipped through the various camera feeds — the security center was compromised, naturally, but the incoming data was all still filtering through the remnants of BP-X in the system — inside the museum. She saw the events with Netherwrath, Whisperwind, and the rest. They seemed to have disposed of the heroes inside the building by... throwing a rave? Hmph. How blatant. Clearly an attempt by Whisperwind to return to Anarchy's good graces. She would overlook it — for now — but he should hope that it didn't compromise the greater mission.

Finally, the camera feeds in the mysterious corridor came up on her HUD. As she observed the area, she began to move towards it at full cruising speed. The joys of a silent propulsion system paired with no need for cautiously slipping through a sensor grid.

It was tempting to simply explore her find, but she remembered the issues that had arisen at the end of the last heist. It would be a small matter to delay the transmission of the trap information, but she should at least inform the team of the incoming heroes. Naomi's communicator clicked on, "This is Breaking Point. I've identified some additional defenses hidden within the Louvre. Analysis is proceeding and I will transmit bypasses and locations once that is complete. Be advised that we have two heroes en route. Identities unknown, but they're heading in fast."

quote:

10:47 AM <Tricky> BP assesses the situation!
10:47 AM <Tricky> !r 2d6
10:47 AM <Krysmbot> Tricky, 9 =

What here is more valuable than it looks?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Fre: -2 | Dan: +1 | Tro: +3 | Sup: +1 | Men: 0
Curses! 1/5 | Conditions: Doubting | Location: Louvre | Infamy: 2

Turns out labels can't go below -2, so I'm reshifting my labels since last caper. As per Yami in IRC, I don't need to actually mark a condition for this roll.

Phantom Thief practically had to press his face against Expatriot's to hear her over the loud music.

"Okay! Okay, good. We can work with that. I said, WE CAN WORK! WITH THAT!"

He took a closer look at the scene unfolding before him. "This is rather surreal! Also, what are you asking me for? How could I possibly distract Netherwrath? Do you expect me to sugar talk.... HER?" He sighed. "The things I do for this team, unbelievable."

Phantom Thief got up and made the often practiced, smooth and casual walk towards Netherwrath. All grace, all elegance. "Hey, Netherwrath," he started, before feigning surprise at her T-shirt. "Hey, is that one new? It looks really good on you. Black is your colour!" As is tacky, he thought to himself. "Hey, look, listen... How do I put this?" He leaned in closer to her, wary that any of the heroes could hear him above this music, which was more of a symbolic effort, considering he could not even hear himself think. "Most of this art is priceless and most importantly, European and irreplaceable. Expatriot and I would appreciate it if you held back a little bit here. I know, I know, we are cramping your style. To make it up to you, I'll let you go hog wild on the American modern art exposition on the third floor. I can throw things at you and you can smash 'em with a baseball bat, homerun style! Yeah, America!"

He considered what else he could use as an argument. "Oh, also, I promise I will treat you on dinner at a fancy restaurant. Whole tab on me." The spoils would probably cover the tab a hundred times over, so it was an acceptable trade. "Like, a date?"

Why did he say that?

quote:

00:38 Deltasquid Phantom Thief distracts Netherwrath as per Expat's request... By asking her out on a date
00:38 Deltasquid !r 2d6+3
00:38 Krysmbot Deltasquid, 6+3 = 9
00:39 Deltasquid rev up those kissie lips, boys
Netherwrath's options, for convenience:
- Give you Influence on them.
- Mark a condition.
- Give themselves to you and make themselves vulnerable.

As he talked to Netherwrath, Phantom Thief stared at the exhibits over her shoulder, and mentally tallied up the bounties. His eyes almost popped out of his head when he saw a particular staff in between the other exhibits.

"Wait, I'll get back to you," he said, and darted over to the staff.

He had to stop himself from pressing his hands and face against the glass. "This! This is! Have you seen this?"

He turned around to the rest of the team.

"Guys, have you checked this out? This is Silver Witch's staff! The genuine crystal staff, which she crafted when she was twenty and just out of the Magical Academy!"

He recalled seeing an episode about that when he was younger. Several times, in fact. It was the first episode in a twelve-week documentary about her which aired when he was ten or so. He remembered clearly, because a specific image had stuck with him all these years. It was a young Silver Witch, sitting on her flying broomstick, side saddle style. She wore thigh highs, a cute purple dress with yellow finishes, and a pointy hat. Come to think of it, the animated series about her was some cliché stuff that was cancelled after two seasons, but that iconic image was also used for the intro. In one episode, she rode this staff, rather than her broom, which had been a flagrant continuity error even Arsène had picked out back then.

Regardless, Silver Witch had kicked off a healthy interest in girls, witches and thigh highs for Arsène. He blushed a bit now, looking back at his innocent fanboyism for what was ostensibly a girls' show. But then again, people watched Totally Spies as well. Same broad appeal.

Unfortunately, Silver Witch had passed away months ago. 2016 did not even spare superheroes. She had reached the tender age of 26. Arsène closed his eyes, and reminded himself that mantra oft repeated. The body had never been found. Doctor Ersatz-Steiner had eradicated the village with his failed experiment, and she was presumed vaporised in the blast, but still. He believed.

Regardless, he wanted to own this piece of memorabilia. This one wasn't for selling. This one was a symbol that deserved far better than to be locked up between some Sphinxes and clay tablets.

quote:

00:01 Deltasquid Phantom Thief unleashes all of his sicknasty skillz and powers to grab the Hot Treasure of his precocious crush, the Silver Witch's staff!
00:01 Theantero welcome back TDN
00:01 Deltasquid !r 2d6-2
00:01 Krysmbot Deltasquid, 10-2 = 8
00:02 Deltasquid aww yeee

Phantom Thief took out his toolkit and got to work. Using a glass scalpel, he carefully cut a circle in the exhibit and removed it with a suction cup. He knew she'd cast a hex on the staff to prevent villains from making off with it, however. The museum personnel must have had great difficulty transporting it.

He took some strides backwards, and handily tossed a coin through the hole. The ice mine was tripped, and a freezing blast of cold shattered the glass upon detonation, like a waterfall of glittering snowflakes and shards. Then, he carefully touched the staff between charges, and used his superpower-annulling gloves to cancel the spell. He smiled. The prize was his.

quote:

01:15 Yamifenrir Whenever you use the kit in a cunning and risky way, roll +Trouble instead of +Freak to unleash your powers with it.
01:15 Yamifenrir this applies
01:15 Yamifenrir so if you can upgrade your move with that, do so
01:15 Deltasquid well then
01:15 Deltasquid that solves it
01:15 Deltasquid I get a 13 instead of an 8
Using up 1 charge of my Bag of Tricks and then it all evens out in the end!

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 21, 2017

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Curses! 1/5 | Conditions: Angry | Infamy: 1

Netherwrath stamped her foot petulantly as Whisperwind turned her fun sadistic choice scenario into a Dreamworks-esque dance party. "Aww, come on, at least you could let me see what they would've picked before you whammied them! Ugh, oh well." She picked up the ID card and stashed it away for later use; Whisperwind was the Boss (for now), and she'd decide how mad she was at him after he paid her.

Speaking of getting mad, Expat and Phantom Thief. Netherwrath had been working so hard to be a team player; she hadn't objected to the stealthy approach, she'd gotten in quickly and quietly, she'd help case the joint for extra security. Hell, the last job she'd been the only one who didn't blow their role five minutes in. And then she tries to show a little bit of creativity, trying to build her brand a little, and they just assumed she was going off half-cocked because of some crappy paintings she hadn't even intended to destroy? And then Phantom Thief comes over to her, flirting like she hadn't just overheard their little pow wow? This would not stand.

Netherwrath gives Phantom Thief Influence over her so she can declare him The Meat. She'll also mark Angry from his Distract.

She listened to his spiel completely stone-faced. Until he got to the part about the date, and the poker face broke. Netherwrath turned red, and looked away for a moment, a little disbelieving. Seeming to want to look at anywhere other than Phantom Thief, her eyes landed on the paintings, the now slightly-damaged walls, the hostages... That seemed to get her attention. "What the hell are you still doing here? Get the gently caress out!" As she snapped at them, she fired a bolt of demonic force at the wall behind them, and it showered them in dust. Needing no further encouragement, they fled.

By that point, Phantom Thief had busied himself with the security around the Silver Witch's Staff, and uncharacteristically, Netherwrath waited for him to finish before approaching to talk. "If you were serious about that date thing, I should warn you. I'm the kind of girl that sees what she wants and goes for it. Get it?" Without waiting for a response, she picked him up by the collar and pulled him in for a deep kiss. It was enthusiastic, inexperienced, and a little forceful; about what you'd expect from someone who could tear a tank in half and slowly blistered whoever she touched. What was a little less expected was the finale, where she shoved her tongue down his throat and then bit it off.

The lights dimmed a little as she shoved Phantom Thief to the ground, and by the time he'd spit out her tongue, Netherwrath's dark regenerative magics had fixed her right up. She fixed him a cheerful smile, blood still on her teeth. "I want you to understand, PT, I'm not a pretty little face you can just charm into submission. I am completely bugfuck, when I say I will break your heart, let me assure you I am being 100% literal. Now if you or Expat have any further...issues with my conduct, please be upfront about it next time."

She turned on her heel and started to stalk out of the room towards the reinforcements BP had indicated, but paused for a moment. "Oh, and clear out the paintings, will you? I can't touch them."

[13:13] Green_Bean Netherwrath will Cow/Rebuke PT
[13:13] Green_Bean !r 2d6+3
[13:13] Krysmbot Green_Bean, 5+3 = 8

PT marks Curses!, clears a condition, or shifts labels if they respond.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Fre: -2 | Dan: +1 | Tro: +3 | Sup: +1 | Men: 0
Curses! 2/5 | Conditions: Doubting | Location: Louvre | Infamy: 2

Taking 1 curses! from NW's rebuke.

Phantom Thief coughed up the tongue and bent over, hands on his trembling knees, gasping for breath after the intrusive object had been expelled from his mouth, onto the floor.

"Whoa, Netherwrath!" He almost wiped his mouth with the back of his sleeve, but stopped himself. He was afraid she would have perceived that as an insult.

"That might be the most intimate kiss someone has ever given me. Positively breathtaking."

Netherwrath might have noticed he was blushing at this point.

Phantom Thief reduced the crystal staff to a ball and put it in his bag of loot. "Hey, what was that about Little Judas Zeremiah was on about just now? Don't you reckon we should go after him?"

Seeing as the rest of the team was busy, he added: "Just the two of us?"

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

“Eenie, meanie, miney mo…” Expatriot muttered to herself as she wound her way through the exhibits, doing some spatial calculations in her head as she examined the various exhibits at a brisk jog, “Which of you will get to go?” It wasn’t exactly like her usual behavior, she seemed to be allowing herself a bit of fun with this job. There was, of course, always the possibility of failure, but on this particular occasion she was only so invested in success. To put it another way, it was an opportunity for her to treat the job with the same irreverence she attributed to the rest of her team on the job.

Which, of course, meant the lot of them seemed dead set on acting more accommodating than usual.

Pausing at the entrance of an exhibit, Expatriot hooked her thumbs in her jacket pockets and rocked back on her heels slightly, her thoughts rumbling idly over the cast of misfits she’d aligned herself with. Whisperwind, in particular. The man was an eternal pain in her rear end, flitting in and out of sight as he saw fit, usually only showing up long enough to slip another verbal jab at her. Most fell off the mark, but she must’ve done something when he’d made that quip about her being an assembly line person to tip her hand. He was returning to it a lot lately.

The problem was the same as always. He was useful to have around. Psychics generally were, and he mated powers of suggestion was some handy utility abilities like his illusions, teleportation, and extra sensory abilities. If he wasn’t useful, she’d probably have actually hit him by now instead of enduring his unending torrent of bullshit. She sure as hell wouldn’t have stood up for him against Zeremiah. Things would be so much smoother if she could just … well, straighten him out a little.

That thought brought a wave of mirth bubbling out of her, stuttered giggles turning slowly into repressed guffaws as she turned the idea over in her head. Fat chance. Whisperwind definitely hated her … or, at best, was willing to prop her up as an authority figure just to have one to rail against. Boss this, Boss that, the little fucker. He flitted about as he saw fit, making it impossible to have any kind of meaningful conversation with … and you knew, going in, that if things didn’t turn out his way he’d just erase the talk from your mind. It made it hard to pursue any kind of meaningful conversation with him, even after having worked with him on three jobs she basically knew jack-all about who he was. So, what means of communications did that leave her that could meaningfully convey an idea quickly enough not to be teleported away from, and would have persisting effects even if he erased the memory of the conversation.

She laughed earnestly as she remembered the time Naomi had pancaked him against the wall with the wind cone off of her fist that one night early on. He clearly resented it, and given that he was one of the few members that didn’t have any particular regeneration or physical hardening she couldn’t really blame him. Still, he didn’t leave people a lot of other recourses, did he? As for trying to “fix” Whisperwind … well, if the shrink was to be believed, Expat was only so functional herself. She didn’t have any business trying to fix anyone. Hell, wasn’t refusing to change for someone why she’d left home in the first place?

She growled lowly under her breath. So much for her good mood. The speakers overhead were starting to crack and pop, spoiling the effect of Anarchy.exe’s music, and some of the lights weren’t flashing back on again.

“Copy that, BP. Two more heroes shouldn’t be a problem.” She said. Circumstances were always in flux, after all, you should never get too attached to a plan. He’d taught her that, after all, to embrace adaptability and not pen your strategies to be too restrictive. “After all, we’ve got control of the building for now.”

“Alright…” she said, laying her hands, “You heard Control, a chance to handle a bit of personal business has come up. Do we have any volunteers to go turn the bastard inside out while the rest of us handle the boring but lucrative work here, or do I have to assign teams?”

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Curses! 1/5 | Conditions: Angry | Infamy: 2

Netherwrath's voice came in over the comm lines almost immediately. "I'll handle Little Judas. Phantom Thief can come with if he wants." She didn't even turn around to see if he followed as she headed briskly into the hallway. According to Whisperwind, Little Judas was hiding himself among a huddled group of civilians in the East Wing. They were staying put for now, but it was just a matter of time before they'd scatter for the exits and Little Judas would get lost in the shuffle.

As she reached the large double doors that marked the East Wing, she paused and rummaged through her possessions for the audio override. As soon as she turned it on, Anarchy's music cut out, and Netherwrath's kicked in on every speaker in this side of the museum. She paused as the intro wound up, giving the bystanders' fear time to run wild, before kicking in the door precisely when the chorus began. As she'd hoped, the crowd remained paralysed with fear as she advanced on them, while Little Judas, who knew exactly what he was in for, tried to make a break for it.

Little Judas was fast, faster than Netherwrath was over these short distances; she couldn't remember if it was a superpower he had, or maybe stolen magic boots? It was probably one of those things, she hadn't been paying attention when they'd met. But Netherwrath had actually planned ahead this time, and she'd sealed the other exit by literally tying the metal door handles together with her bare hands. Little Judas vainly tried to shoulder his way through, but couldn't manage it before Netherwrath caught him up to him, silencing him for the time being with a viscous right hook. She hefted his unconscious body over her shoulder before comming in. "I've got the package, mostly intact."

[18:36] Green_Bean Netherwrath Executes the Plan, spending one plan and Wagering her theme music
[18:36] Green_Bean !r 2d6+2
[18:36] Krysmbot Green_Bean, 10+2 = 12

Green Bean fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 23, 2017

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Freak: +1 | Danger: -2 | Trouble: +1 | Superior: +2 | Menace: +1
Curses!: 5/5 | Infamy: 2| Conditions: | Location: The Louvre
Cards: 3

"What the HECK is this GARBAGE BUTT ROCK!" Anarchy shouts and stomps her foot angrily when her totally cool and hip music is interrupted. Sure, it wasn't going to last much longer anyway, but it's so much easier to blame a scapegoat rather than admit her plan may have needed some more thorough preparation. "Ugh, I can't dance to THIS! It's all WRONG!"

Anarchy grumbles and pouts for a little bit, but then a light bulb seems to go off in her head as she seems to get some kind of dangerous inspiration. "I guess PLEBIANS like you just wouldn't UNDERSTAND! I'll just have to SHOW you my vision! I'll have to show you TRUE ART!"

She jumps and clicks her heels together, and then starts making a mad dash towards one of the museum's major exhibits. "I should have probably EXPECTED, what with you all CLEARLY having no taste! I mean- no offense, but I don't think any of you have the true avant-garde vision this place REALLY needs!" Anarchy says, with a sharp tone that you're pretty sure is actually supposed to cause some offense. "Especially YOU, Phantom! I'm SORRY, but you're just too attached to these dumb, old things to REALLY make the statement that this place is asking for. But don't WORRY! I'LL TAKE CARE OF IT FOR YOU!"

"I mean, if you wanna SHAKE THINGS UP, you gotta break a few RULES!"

Anarchy sticks her arm out and knocks over a precious vase as she screeches to a halt in the next exhibit hall. "Now BEHOLD! The WONDERS of both VISUAL and PERFORMANCE ART! Heh heh heh HEHH!" A maniacal grin crosses her face as she readies a compact, computerized can of spraypaint. She taps its touchscreen, configuring the real-world equivalent of photoshop filters, and then starts running around and shooting it at various renaissance-era paintings. In a matter of seconds, these centuries-old painting are covered up by a fresh, neon-colored coat of paint, transforming them from classical masterpieces into strange pieces of modern art. Or modern "art", depending on your opinion of the subject. Like most pieces of modern art, it's hard to tell if Anarchy's abstract, almost incoherent blasts of brightly-colored paint are supposed to be total garbage or modern masterpieces in the making. She finishes it off by slapping a pixel art sticker of her own face on one of the paintings, then running off to commit her next crime against the classics.

"Alright! Now let's move on to the GOOD STUFF! OUT OF MY WAY, OLD CRAP! A REAL ARTIST IS COMING THROUGH!" Anarchy charges down another hallway, knocking over and breaking a bunch of ancient middle-eastern artifacts on her way back to the Greek statues.

"OKAY!" Anarchy says, as she surveys the arena of busts, sculptures, and statues. "FIRST let's clear out the CRAP!"

"Good bye, good bye, good BYE!" She runs down the aisles, knocking over every piece of art that doesn't meet her standards. Basically everything that is either 'not pretty enough', 'not cool enough', 'not interesting enough' or just 'not vaporwave enough'.

"And now for the NEW STUFF!" Anarchy sticks her fingers in her mouth and whistles, and then on cue a set of quadcopter drones come in and deliver a set of 3D-Printed greek-like busts. There's one for each team member, each modeled to look like an honestly kinda weirdly idealized version of them. The drones also drop in any art that anybody else might have wanted delivered, as well as a set of life-sized 3D-printed arms.

"AH! Here we go! The pièce de résistance! Heh heh heh!" Anarchy laughs as she grabs the arms.

Then she runs over and attaches them to the very famous armless status, the Venus De Milo. These two new arms, one bent at the elbow and one sticking straight back, now make the statue look like she's dabbing.

"YES! Oh, wait! One more thing!" Anarchy grabs something out from her pocket and jumps up to put it on the statue's face. It's a bright, green pair of shutter shades.

"YEAH!" Anarchy jumps up and down excitedly. "THIS is more like it!"

"HEY EVERYONE! Come check out my new ART! You're gonna LOVE IT! Especially YOU, Phantom! You should see what I've done to the place!"

<Takanago> Anarchy executes her plan to replace the museum's art WITH HER OWN AVANTE GARDE VISION
<Takanago> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Takanago, 11+1 = 12
<Takanago> n i c e
Anarchy gains 1 infamy, moving her up to 2.

<Takanago> Anarchy provokes Phantom Thief by ruining and defacing France's beautiful art :france:
<Takanago> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Takanago, 7+2 = 9
Anarchy is trying to get Phantom Thief to freak out about the damage she's doing and confront her/try to stop her/beg her to stop. If you do, add a Plan to the pool. If not, mark a condition.

Also since Yami said in IRC that the +2 Curses! bonus applies immediately, Anarchy gains another advance. It's most likely gonna be more Gambits for The Deck but I haven't decided yet.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 3/5 | Infamy! 2 | Conditions: None! | Location: The Louvre

As Breaking Point cut through the sky, she began to review the list of security systems and other defenses that BP-X had retrieved from the mainframe. There were several exterior defenses — turrets, autonomous robots and the like — that would certainly aid in delaying the incoming heroes. It wasn't likely that they would pose much of a threat to the team, but it was hardly any effort at all to harness the devices to her will. Sinclair's information warfare was leagues beyond what the French government seemed to find itself content with. Their firewall software was a mere third-generation iteration of Variable Reduction's standard security package. She could compromise it in her sleep. Or, more accurately, her software could.

There was far too little time to do it subtly, however, so she wasted no effort on disguising the hack. Her feed to the security mainframe indicated that the staff would be aware of the activation of their defenses. They may well just write it off as a false alarm, but with the excitement of Anarchy and Whisperwind's rave? It'd likely raise a few red flags. No matter. The plan seemed to be clicking along quite nicely. It would hardly hurt the team's aims to bring more attention to their exploits.

quote:

1:38 PM <Tricky> BP cooks up a freakish scheme!
1:38 PM <Tricky> !r 2d6+2
1:38 PM <Krysmbot> Tricky, 6+2 =

BP brings the Louvre's defenses online and reprograms them to target the heroes instead to add plan to the pool! +Heat.

Almost immediately, Breaking Point could feel the grounds of the Louvre begin to teem with compromised defenses. Several turrets raised out of a nearby shrubbery — were those pulse cannons? — and began to scan the air for incoming threats. Speaking of which, there was the matter of their unidentified guests. The key complication was the fact that they were unidentified. If she were to ascertain their identities, she should be able to analyze their powers and give the interior team quite an advantage when they arrived. It would also help ensure that the newly compromised defenses would target them upon arrival.

quote:

1:41 PM <Tricky> BP is also going to Unleash her powers to identify the two heroes
1:41 PM <Tricky> !r 2d6+2
1:41 PM <Krysmbot> Tricky, 6+2 =

Effect is unstable and/or temporary.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 28, 2017

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses!: 2/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: Insecure, Afraid | Location: Louvre of le DOOM

Everything was chaos. The speakers were warbling, the walls and the art pieces were all defaced with a dizzying array of garish, neon paint as the staff and the heroes raved in the midst of reactivated defenses that were adding their bright laser glow to the flickering lights already in place. Whisperwind stood next to his girlfriend, pants in pockets, having appeared from somewhere. He drew a facsimile of his leering, jagged grin onto the still wet paint, right next to the sticker Anarchy had placed.

"Haha."

"It's absolutely beautiful. Amazing work, honey", he drew her in for a kiss, before adding, "Looks like I got to go into a rave with you after all~"

"But you know, I think we can add something to make this whole thing even more stylishly garish."

He drew out of the embrace, and snapped his fingers (or at least went through the motions, no actual sound was produced), causing the eye-searing form of Flickerwisp to silently pop next to him. Whisperwind promptly hopped to the driver's seat.

"Righto everyone", the comms crackled, "I have a teleporting car that cannot really be seen waiting for you for when you've decided you want to scram. Even Manhands is invited as long as she promises to not rip off the trunk lid like that one time."

"Haha."

"In the meantime", Whisperwind was once again addressing his girlfriend only, "How about a motorized sight-seeing tour of the Louvre while we wait for the others?" He wiggled the eyes of his illusionary face whilst patting the empty seat next to him. Because whilst Whisperwind was naturally somewhat leery, and even a bit afraid of risking his most prized possession like this, he couldn't help but feel particularly lucky tonight.

quote:

Theantero: WW Executes the Final plan, Wagering his COOL CAR and Burning one Plan
Krysmbot: Theantero, 4+2 = 6

Right. I advance due to the Little Judas thing, taking the move 'Fate is a Fickle Mistress', which I'll immediately use to boost this roll to a 7. Due to rolling 7-9 on Execute, I'll raise our heat from 3 to 4 for that sweet after caper Infamy roll :v:

Marking Afraid due to using FiaFM since WW is scared for his car.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 28, 2017

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Breaking Point

Almost immediately after the robots go online, you see one getting punted square across the camera's field of vision. A few seconds later, you see a blonde girl walk forward, searching for something. Wait, hold on, you recognize that symbol.

That's Liberty Belle!

You haven't seen the second person, but if it's a team of two that can really only mean...

Oh gently caress.

Ex-Patriot

This doesn't feel right at all. There's two heroes here, right? Why are they so being so elusive? You're about to get --

A sudden breeze and a slight crackling of dust underneath a shoe is all the warning you get before what might as well be a man shaped missile hits you dead on, and the pain being so intensely focused in a specific area is something you instantly recognize.

Uncle Sam.

And indeed, as you expected, both of your arms are just dangling about, uselessly. If there's something the two of you ever shared, it's the unerring efficiency. He's used a sneak attack to disable you before you even realized he was there. Really, it's no less amazing than the last few times you saw it while you were on his side... But this time you aren't.

"You." he nearly growls at you. "I don't know if you are trying to ruin my vacation on purpose, but while you're here, I have some very important questions for you. You know exactly what I'm talking about."

Mark Afraid. Also, your 'Danger' Label is locked due to Uncle Sam's special ability.

Uncle Sam

Special: Master Combatant
Uncle Sam is a master of many melee arts, including Ki, which he has mastered to such a level he can selectively cripple opponents with a single strike. On top of causing a condition, his attacks disable an entire Label, which cannot be rolled with until the end of the scene.

Phantom Thief

You can't help but feel a bit sour after seeing what Anarchy did to most of the exhibits. Sure, it's kind of what you're here for... but it still hurts to see, doesn't it? Somewhat lost in thought, you turn around a corner... and you see an absolutely breathtakingly beautiful girl doing the same on the opposite end of the hallway, sheerly coincidental.

You know who this is, of course. Liberty Belle. Almost everyone worth a drat in this kind of scene knows here - largely due to her mentor, of course.

Somewhat surprisingly, she flinches backwards, huddling behind her shield before calming down and addressing you. "Halt, villain!" she yells at you somewhat unconvincingly. "I won't let you pass!"

You could have sworn she was a lot more brave before. Did something happen?

Netherwrath

You might have been a bit hasty in getting back to the group. You might have almost split Whisperwinds car in half with him still in it due to turning a corner.

But really, it's his fault for driving a goddamn car indoors.

Anyway, you're with Whisperwind now, and you can store Little Jackass in the trunk for the time being. As you do, however, there's a girl yelling something about a villain, AND a commotion in the other direction, where Ex-P was. Which way do you go first?

Whisperwind

Oh jesus christ, that was close. Netherwrath just popped around a corner, and you barely managed to swerve out of her way to not hit her. Granted, you weren't worried about her safe-being at all. No, it's rather your car that would have been shredded by her mere presence in your path.

But, crisis averted. And it seems like there's some action to be had. A commotion in the hall where Phantom Thief just wandered off to, and one where Ex-P was. You should probably check that out.

Anarchy.Exe

Just as you were gonna have some alone time with Whisperwind, Netherwrath popped up again! Oh come on. Couldn't she have waited a bit!?

And now there's even more stuff going on. Sigh. Can't be helped, eh? Got to help these plebs with their little boo boos. But, uhm... what are their boo boos? Your hearing is kind of damaged a bit from the volume of music. Or you could just stick with Whisperwind anyway. They should solve their own problems, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses!: 2/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: Insecure, Afraid | Location: Louvre of le DOOM

Flickerwisp screeched to a halt as Whisperwind slammed the brakes to not wreck his car against Netherwrath. He lowered a window to address the girl, his face giving no indication of his heart beating in what was practically his throat.

"Haha."

"Hi Nethers. Now, since you're already here to ruin my date, I actually have a job for you to do. It's real easy. All you have to do is clamber to the roof and yell 'murrricaaa' really loud as I steer this baby directly towards Uncle Sam. I'd do it myself if, you know, I wasn't impaired voice-wise. If you want to wrestle with him though, you'll have to jump at him yourself since I won't be staying long."
______

The air was tense. Uncle Sam was facing his former protege. Even the omnipresent music seemed to quieten down out of intimidation. Alas, this was not to last. For without warning, there was suddenly a car. Tires screaming against the polished floor, the brights turned on, and speeding at a good 100 miles per hour at Uncle Sam. Collision was imminent. There was no time to dodge. Except then, when it was mere few feet from impacting the hero, the car was no longer there.

A strange enough happening, that for a few good moments, the attention of Uncle Sam was elsewhere.

"Haha", a whisper found its way into Ex-patriot's ear, projected from who knows where "Looks like a pretty good chance for a sucker punch, if you ask me."

quote:

Theantero: Whisperwind will Distract Uncle Sam by (almost) ramming his car into him, Wagering Flickerwisp to do so
Krysmbot: Theantero, 10+2 = 12

I'm 'making them Vulnerable' (since I have Watch the Birdie), and also 'Avoiding immediate retaliation for this'. A good chance for you lot to try and Exploit his Weakness.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 28, 2017

• Locked thread