Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

never was any good at catching those tumbleweeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cleretic posted:

The only part of Skyward Swords' shield duration mechanics I remember was how crazy-broken the indestructible Hylian Shield is, because the rest of the game's built around the notion that blocking is something you can only do sparingly.

I wonder if BOTW will follow the recent trend of the Hylian Shield being the best shield. I kinda hope not because the mirror shield is rad and I want it back.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Like everyone else, I'm trying to get some Zelda played before Breath of the Wild, so I've got ALttP going right now.

Oh my god gently caress this game. This game is like getting your hand slammed in a car door over and over. It's so hard. Everything is aimed at you, everything slices off a whole heart, and nothing drops any hearts at all ever for any reason. Naturally the game doesn't give you back full hearts when you continue either. Just JFC, why do you have to be so stingy with health? Make every tenth enemy drop a heart or something, drat. I'm at the thief dungeon, whatever it's called, and it's gonna take a miracle from the Lord Jesus Christ Himself for me to get to that lady and get her outside.

I played this game as a kid too, so whatever argument about me not being an old isn't gonna hold water. I'm loving ancient and also this game sucks.

I beat OG NES Zelda but no, this game is what fucks me off.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Play windwaker (wii u version)

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Bean posted:

I'm bad at Zelda 3

Bug Net + Bottles + Fairies

Also get good etc etc etc

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gorgolflox posted:

Bug Net + Bottles + Fairies

This, except replace bug net + fairies with red potion (or blue potion)

Speaking of which, since you're at the Thieves' Hideout, you should be able to get the Warp Duck. He can drop you off in front of the potion witch's house, I think, and once you get her the toadstool, you can always talk to her assistant (outside?) for a "free sample" of the potion, which is a great way to refill at the beginning of a session.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bean posted:

Like everyone else, I'm trying to get some Zelda played before Breath of the Wild, so I've got ALttP going right now.

Oh my god gently caress this game. This game is like getting your hand slammed in a car door over and over. It's so hard. Everything is aimed at you, everything slices off a whole heart, and nothing drops any hearts at all ever for any reason. Naturally the game doesn't give you back full hearts when you continue either. Just JFC, why do you have to be so stingy with health? Make every tenth enemy drop a heart or something, drat. I'm at the thief dungeon, whatever it's called, and it's gonna take a miracle from the Lord Jesus Christ Himself for me to get to that lady and get her outside.

I played this game as a kid too, so whatever argument about me not being an old isn't gonna hold water. I'm loving ancient and also this game sucks.

I beat that game when I was 11, sorry you suck at it.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Haha, actual rage over Link to the Past? The beginning is slightly more difficult than the rest of the game, but you can run from most things you don't understand how to fight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bean posted:

Link to the Past is a genuinely super-easy game that gives you tons upon tons of easy-win options, at minimum carrying faeries around who regenerate tons of HP when you die. You are perhaps the only person in the world to go all "it's the HARDEST GAME EVER" for it.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Bean posted:

I'm sorry that you're having trouble with a game that I beat when I was four.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Bean posted:

I'm at the thief dungeon, whatever it's called, and it's gonna take a miracle from the Lord Jesus Christ Himself for me to get to that lady and get her outside.

Don't worry, I definitely believe that you will be able to accomplish this.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ALttP is the Dark Souls of Zelda games.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Eopia posted:

I'm sorry that you're having trouble with a game that I beat when I was four.

I beat that game as an infant you loving scrub, and I was born blind and deaf and have no thumbs!

(I played that game in High School and it was drat good)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Bean posted:

You need to be packing fairies, bro. Also my memory is hazy but I think there are numerous fairy springs scattered throughout the overworld that are a free health refill. There might even be one near at least one of the respawn points?

But yeah, fairies are your friend.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Phimosissy posted:

I beat that game as an infant you loving scrub, and I was born blind and deaf and have no thumbs!

(I played that game in High School and it was drat good)

So you were a blind baby in high school?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Bean posted:

This is shameful.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

After you finish ALttP play Zelda II: The Adventure of Link to really get your poo poo pushed in.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

To be fair, I kind of had a lot of trouble when I replayed ALttP last year too and I had just come off a Zelda 1 and 2 replay. Though I didn't die at all, more that I kept falling down pits for whatever dumb reason. Didn't have this problem with Link's Awakening when I played that immediately afterwards either so I dunno, maybe I was having an "off" period of days then. Zelda 1 and 2 were still far harder but ALttP does do stuff that sets you back for loving up, like having to retraverse a few rooms.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

ALttP is a good game that did not age well at all.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cicadas! posted:

What the

Some genuinely insane posting going on itt

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

codenameFANGIO posted:

This is shameful.

It truly is.

Cicadas! posted:

This is exactly right. A the time, it was great. In comparison to all the other handhelds, other than the two really bad ones, it is bad. And yes, it was a console game, but it is effectively a handheld game now as all console games followed it's design while the next console game was OoT.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

To be fair, I kind of had a lot of trouble when I replayed ALttP last year too and I had just come off a Zelda 1 and 2 replay. Though I didn't die at all, more that I kept falling down pits for whatever dumb reason. Didn't have this problem with Link's Awakening when I played that immediately afterwards either so I dunno, maybe I was having an "off" period of days then. Zelda 1 and 2 were still far harder but ALttP does do stuff that sets you back for loving up, like having to retraverse a few rooms.

Yes. It's a not a good game now.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Cicadas! posted:

I tried to go back right after albw and it was pretty rough. I bet I could jump in now a year or so removed from the much smoother better upgraded game.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

wow is there a game from 1991/92 that has aged better than AlttP? Jesus Christ

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This must be the final form of the Zelda cycle. It has become too powerful and will consume us all

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Zas posted:

Super mario world.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Super mario world.

that was 90/91 tho :)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Link to the Past is.... timeless.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zas posted:

Final Fantasy V, AKA the best Final Fantasy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Zas posted:

Older, but Zelda 2 has aged better.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Waltzing Along posted:

Older, but Zelda 2 has aged better.

Technically, I guess bad games can't get any worse.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
I mean i've already ranted about it enough, but alttp is really hard to play after albw. The combat is clunkier and unfun, the puzzles are more basic and boring, etc. It's not a bad game but it isn't universally beloved, especially if you didn't beat it when you were ten.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

youcallthatatwist posted:

I mean i've already ranted about it enough, but alttp is really hard to play after albw. The combat is clunkier and unfun, the puzzles are more basic and boring, etc. It's not a bad game but it isn't universally beloved, especially if you didn't beat it when you were ten.

In what world do you live in where ALTTP isn't universally beloved?

Like what do you consider universally beloved if ALTTP isn't one?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Is this the phase of the zelda cycle where we just randomly poo poo on an older game with unwarranted whinings?

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Andrast posted:

In what world do you live in where ALTTP isn't universally beloved?

Like what do you consider universally beloved if ALTTP isn't one?

Uh, this world? Like I can factually state alttp is not universally beloved, because I don't love it, and neither do several other people in this thread. I don't think any zelda games are universally loved, since they all have detractors.

Jesus, why are people so touchy about this game? I promise I'm not here to take away your childhoods or anything.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I still think the dungeon design is stronger in LTTP than in LBW.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Uh, this universe? Like I can factually state alttp is not universally beloved, because I don't love it, and neither do several other people in this thread. I don't think any zelda games are universally loved, since they all have detractors.

Jesus, why are people so touchy about this game? I promise I'm not here to take away your childhoods or anything.

I guess no game ever is universally beloved then.

With your criteria there is literally nothing that is universally beloved.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I think that they could make a game like ALBW and have it be awesome like 20 years after ALTTP came out is proof that ALTTP has aged very well. Like, I don't think people understand the concept of aging well

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I'm glad I hunkered down and beat LttP before I played LBW. I never played it when I was a wee one, but I enjoyed seeing what all the fuss was about. I would have loved the poo poo out of it if I'd played it when I was 10. As it stood, I liked it, but not as much as LBW.

By the way, you're all crazy. It's aged just fine.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

my thoughts are you have to take old games on their own terms, so like, you wouldn't say LoZ sucks cause it doesn't have 8 way run- cause the game is very well balanced around the 4 way system. if that makes sense.
thats a separate issue from the aging thing, but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Like I can factually state alttp is not universally beloved, because I don't love it, and neither do several other people in this thread.

Opinions don't necessarily count if they are dumb and/or bad