Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

I didn't know it was possible for a person to be this wrong. Every time I look at this post, I see a new level of wrong. It's like a fractal of wrongness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Spergatory posted:

I didn't know it was possible for a person to be this wrong. Every time I look at this post, I see a new level of wrong. It's like a fractal of wrongness.

Go watch Mr Robot again then you pretentious rear end.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Opinions are like cocks. Everyone wants to jam it down your throat..

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Everyone's so mean about people liking or not liking shows they don't/do.

I do agree with IRQ that people's hatred of procedurals as a concept is a bit weird when there are good and bad ones of those like anything else. But I understand if your experience with them is mostly bad it might make you reluctant to sit through others to see if they're good.

Personally I love PoI when it's more procedural as well as when it's more serial. If you like the former you'll like the first three seasons better than the last two. If you like the latter I can only really see you disliking the first season (based on only that criteria).

Anyway the only actual request I have is for people to stop trying to actively get others not to try it. If they're interested enough to start it they can decide for themselves if the promise of its format shifting as it goes along is enough to get them through it. :)

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Dexo posted:

Wow. They completely rewrote their pitch for Powerless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDnO2cvBbnA

Are there any good examples of this happening before? Where the concept is completely changed but the same cast is used.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Baywatch Nights? Started out as a detective show and then turned into an X Files clone with ghosts and aliens.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mu Zeta posted:

Baywatch Nights? Started out as a detective show and then turned into an X Files clone with ghosts and aliens.

Wait, what? Really?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Baronash posted:

Are there any good examples of this happening before? Where the concept is completely changed but the same cast is used.

I can't name any off the top of my head that did it before ever premiering but it seems like that would be the best time to do it. A lot of shows do it after. A recent example was Cougar Town which basically changed the entire show while keeping all the same characters and cast.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

Wait, what? Really?

I think there's one where Hasselhoff and co are up against a Viking warrior who's been frozen in ice until he washed up in Baywatch Town and thawed out, but that might just have been an episode of the main show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Finished The Crown. Great performances and the show looks expensive as gently caress. But the story is all out of whack. On the one hand we have the prime minister going to Egypt and trying to maintain their colony and it's all about to go to poo poo. At the same time, the show makes us think that the queen's sister trying to get married is supposed to be equally as dramatic and interesting. A war could possibly break out and we're still focusing on a stupid marriage? Also, I think the show is condoning British colonialism and makes the Egyptians look like evil idiots.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Mu Zeta posted:

Finished The Crown. Great performances and the show looks expensive as gently caress. But the story is all out of whack. On the one hand we have the prime minister going to Egypt and trying to maintain their colony and it's all about to go to poo poo. At the same time, the show makes us think that the queen's sister trying to get married is supposed to be equally as dramatic and interesting. A war could possibly break out and we're still focusing on a stupid marriage? Also, I think the show is condoning British colonialism and makes the Egyptians look like evil idiots.

The fact that they're hung up on something as insignificant as Margaret's marriage and the pageantry of crowning E II R compared to the Suez Affair is probably a pointed thing. The whole series is about how strange and austere The Crown is compared to normal everyday people. Without the pageantry and pomp of tradition, the Royals are just blue-blooded moochers living on the taxpayer's dime.

I think the next season is going to be about how spectacularly Eden fucks up with Egypt though. I also really hope they don't go into full apologia for British colonialism, too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Procedurals are trash. But a lot of people like trash and that's fine really cause you don't always wanna watch homework TV or w/e. Hence why I seek out so many sitcoms too, they're my Elementary or whatever.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Watched the first episode of MacGuyver for research purposes. It's alright. But Tristan may is the sexiest woman on TV... always sweaty and that drat hair!

Gonna have to deepen the research.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

What's the scoop on Humans? I could do with some more AI-based television, and it's a show I never hear anyone talk badly about, but I almost never hear anyone talk about it, period.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a solid B show. Nothing much to talk about except Gemma Chan is super hot. Second season is actually really boring.

The show is just way too restrained. Like, you'd think the advent of the singularity and AI would make people a bit more excited. Instead, in the world of the show the people just use these bots as maids and manual labor. Basically Star Trek and Blade Runner already explored all the questions about AI in way more depth decades ago. There's really nothing new in Humans.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jan 7, 2017

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Only saw the first season. Excellent premiere gradually leads to a very boring finale.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I loved both seasons, but thought that the first season finale wasn't so hot. The second one is a lot better.

Unlike a lot of goons, I wasn't that into Westworld -- I found the characterization frustrating and threadbare, and didn't find it easy to invest in any of the characters. Humans was pretty much the opposite of that -- it's really all about its characters and playing its dramas on small, interpersonal levels -- and it also goes about a lot of the same sort of thematic work as Westworld in the opposite way (even if it ultimately reaches similar conclusions).

So if you're one of those people who also thought that Westworld was a bit of a trashy light show, or are looking for a different take on similar ideas, I'd recommend it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pan Dulce posted:

Because TVIV voted Better Call Saul so highly, I just wanted to ask if it's really necessary to watch Breaking Bad to know what the gently caress is happening on it? There's just so much to catch up on...

Not really, but there are a lot of contextual nods which you'll miss out on.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Hi. It's me. I'm the guy who hates procedurals :sadwave:

And i watched all of PoI. BUT i started with it and immediately fell in love with it somewhere at the end of season 2 (i think) and loved it til the end. Later, i bought S01 and S02 cheap on DVD to see what i have missed and for my taste they could be condensed to maaaybe a half-season max. I feel everyone who wants to abandon ship in Season 1 honestly.

bou fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 7, 2017

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Hi. Sell me on the Get Down, it's the one show I hadn't heard of from the Top Ten thread that really stood out to me from the glimpses I saw there.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Baz Luhrmann turns 1970's Spanish Harlem into a musical wonderland.

Grandmaster Flash is Yoda.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zaggitz posted:

Hi. Sell me on the Get Down, it's the one show I hadn't heard of from the Top Ten thread that really stood out to me from the glimpses I saw there.

Episode 2 features a literal controversy dress.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rocksicles posted:

Watched the first episode of MacGuyver for research purposes. It's alright. But Tristan may is the sexiest woman on TV... always sweaty and that drat hair!

Gonna have to deepen the research.

Basically the only reason to keep watching.

Yes, I've watched all the episodes with a keen interest.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Person of Interest, s1e11 would have made a pretty strong first episode.

It's starting to get better.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

If you wanna avoid derailing this thread any further, you can go ahead and livepost in the show's thread which has been pretty dead since the show ended.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773520&pagenumber=43 here's a link to the last page so you can skip my pretty spoilery OP.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The season premier/reboot of Sleepy Hollow was kind of weird. They introduced a new main character and two new supporting characters so a little much of the episode was devoted to going over character histories/quirks. Probably the most awkward scene was when they were introducing the new HQ that Ichabod and co were going to hang out at and how it was almost exactly the same as his old one, down to have access to secret tunnels.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I didn't realize that the chat thread could be derailed. I'll just shut up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also it looks like Jeremy Davies is the bad guy for the season and he's definitely Jeremy Davies-ing it up.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

muscles like this! posted:

Also it looks like Jeremy Davies is the bad guy for the season and he's definitely Jeremy Davies-ing it up.

That's almost enough to make me wanna get back into that trash fire.

Almost, but not quite.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What is the deal with season 5 of House of Cards anyway?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of Jeremy Davies, there's still no actual release date for American Gods but they've announced they're showing the first episode at SXSW which is mid March.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What is the deal with season 5 of House of Cards anyway?

It'll probably drop at the end of February or the beginning of March, and two of the senior writers who joined the show in the third season stepped up to replace Beau Willimon.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

bou posted:

Hi. It's me. I'm the guy who hates procedurals :sadwave:

And i watched all of PoI. BUT i started with it and immediately fell in love with it somewhere at the end of season 2 (i think) and loved it til the end. Later, i bought S01 and S02 cheap on DVD to see what i have missed and for my taste they could be condensed to maaaybe a half-season max. I feel everyone who wants to abandon ship in Season 1 honestly.

Not sure you know what "immediately" means.

I also hate procedurals, but am intrigued by POI. I'm not incapable of loving the format (X-Files, for example) but I just can't watch dozens of episodes of a show I don't like hoping to one day fall in love with it. Maybe if there were one later episode I could watch that would indicate how good it gets I could invest, but there's so much good TV out there I haven't yet seen that it always falls very low on the priority list.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

feedmyleg posted:

Not sure you know what "immediately" means.

I also hate procedurals, but am intrigued by POI. I'm not incapable of loving the format (X-Files, for example) but I just can't watch dozens of episodes of a show I don't like hoping to one day fall in love with it. Maybe if there were one later episode I could watch that would indicate how good it gets I could invest, but there's so much good TV out there I haven't yet seen that it always falls very low on the priority list.

I would recommend 3x5 as a good procedural/serial hybrid ep, 1x22's pretty good. For full serial I wanna recommend 2x16 but that ep doesn't really work without getting a feel for what normal episodes are like

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I hate procedurals about as much as I hate sitcoms, but I loved PoI from the beginning. I had severe PTSD and could relate to Caviezel's performance completely. The stiff reactions and uncomfortableness in his own skin was something I could totally understand and watching him loosen up as the series progressed until he finally got some redemption was wonderful.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

I never saw POI as a science fiction show even a tiny bit. It was a procedural, until it tried to be a serial drama and got bad. The Machine was a magic plot device, not scifi.

Yeah basically that. This forum is ridiculous with its hatred of anything remotely procedural. POI was at its best when it was just doing a number of the week while maintaining some continuity and having some recurring characters, eg Elias.

This post is 100% OTM.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I won't watch anything with a laugh track/studio audience these days, I don't give a gently caress how funny it is.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've been pretty critical so far, but I do feel like PoI has hit its stride about 10 episodes in.

The more Finch gets to do, the better.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

You are gonna love episode 18.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib