Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Congrats on discovering the placebo effect.

Jealousy is unbecoming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Sakurazuka posted:

What if they release persona 5 in 4k

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

Maybe I'm just daft, but what is the selling point of the Pro?

It really depends. In order for games to take advantage of the Pro, the developer has to add a patch to make it work. The Xbox One S is better in this regard in that it just upscales all games no matter what to 4K, and the Xbox One S scaler is really good. The Pro however can scale, checker board, or do native 4K. It can also, when optimized correctly, increase frame rate, render native 1080p, and have better graphic fidelity, the options are completely up to the developer and what they are able to do with the increased processor speeds. The graphics processor has been increased by 2x and the CPU is 1.5x.

So whether or not you have a 4K tv, you can see benefits with the Pro but it's only on select games. Every title going forward should have Pro support but that is not a guarantee.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

What if they release persona 5 in 4k

i think they're grandfathered in for not having to do any pro support since they started the game on such an early sdk version

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm certain Persona 5 is gonna be striking enough on its style alone to not need Pro support.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

Nope. Patched games run great.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009
Sonys security team must still suck. A lot.

Nevermind SMS authentication being about the least reliable of 2fa they could do. Why not do Google authenticator and use a real 2fa protocol?

When I went to set it up, I had to leave the account page (what?) and ended up hitting 4 different portals in the whole process. All of them with unique domain names, each signed with an individual SSL cert, all from different CAs, with loving stupid names like login.sonyloginofamericainc.com.

It was so primitive that I assumed I had clicked on a fake Playstation site, and had my credentials mined from me. I'm still not entirely convinced I didn't, but logging in through links from the official playstation site take me to the right information, so..

I mean, I guess it's better than no authentication, but the whole thing seems so sketchy.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
All security is theater, we are just sitting here waiting for the asteroid

LIFE

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm pretty excited about Yakuza 0 later this month. When are they going to announce a date for Tekken 7?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Last month at the King of Iron Fist Global Championship stream Tekken's producer Harada claimed that we'd be getting a release date this month. So hopefully soon!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Is Diablo 3 supposed to be a cakewalk? It won't let me turn up the difficulty any more until I get an unspecified number of additional skills and legendary items, but the ones I have already are making this game far too easy. I went through the first 30 levels or so last night and was just sorta bored by the end of it. I've only had to back off a fight once and had to heal maybe two or three times in five hours.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fix posted:

Is Diablo 3 supposed to be a cakewalk? It won't let me turn up the difficulty any more until I get an unspecified number of additional skills and legendary items, but the ones I have already are making this game far too easy. I went through the first 30 levels or so last night and was just sorta bored by the end of it.

yeah. you gotta beat it once before you can make it fun

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why is there even a debate about the pro?

If you have a PS4 already, you can wait. If you don't have a PS4, you are a fool to not spend the $100 and get the current tech. If you can't afford the $100 you shouldn't be buying a game system in the first place.

In the next year or so there will be games that run dramatically better on the pro. If you are thinking of upgrading, you can probably sell your old PS4 on CL for $200 and effectively halve the cost of upgrading.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mrbass21 posted:

Nevermind SMS authentication being about the least reliable of 2fa they could do. Why not do Google authenticator and use a real 2fa protocol?

Why don't they use the phone app they already have and can push to

Yesterday I discovered that the site and my console disagreed about whether or not the console was primary (despite it being the only PS4 I've ever owned). I had to use the master reset and now I'm on the 6-month cooldown :bravo: At least initiating downloads via the web store works now.

(If I got hacked it was a very polite hacker who never did any suspicious store activity, also I've had 2FA on for a long time with no red flags.)

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 7, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fix posted:

Is Diablo 3 supposed to be a cakewalk? It won't let me turn up the difficulty any more until I get an unspecified number of additional skills and legendary items, but the ones I have already are making this game far too easy. I went through the first 30 levels or so last night and was just sorta bored by the end of it. I've only had to back off a fight once and had to heal maybe two or three times in five hours.

Yeah it's the easiest most mindless game I've ever played

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Waltzing Along posted:

If you have a PS4 already, you can wait. If you don't have a PS4, you are a fool to not spend the $100 and get the current tech. If you can't afford the $100 you shouldn't be buying a game system in the first place.

In the next year or so there will be games that run dramatically better on the pro. If you are thinking of upgrading, you can probably sell your old PS4 on CL for $200 and effectively halve the cost of upgrading.

Eh, I bought my slim with uc4 for $200. Even with the black Friday sales the pro was a good $160 more and didn't even include any games, so really closer to $200 more. At that price it wasn't really worth it to me.

Besides I mostly just have a ps4 for the exclusives anyways.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

second son looks amazing in hdr. and delsin is a fun character.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Waltzing Along posted:

I spent the $150 on half a dozen games for my new console. Coming from always building midrange PCs and only upgrading when my comp doesn't meet minimum reqs on the latest stuff I don't really care at all if the framerates drop to mid 20s once in a while much less a constant 60.

Uncharted 4 has been good so far but feels so long that I'm starting to get annoyed any time some handhold breaks or an elevator doesn't work right. It's also got the same problem as every UC game where the pace is all quick so let's gogogo but also slow down and search the corners for treasures.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The fact that almost no one who bought a Pro regrets it says a lot. Detractors usually haven't even seen it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There isn't a lot to say you regret it, it's just a PS4 but slightly better. To regret it you it would need to be more different.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not really a detractor. I'm mostly joking. I just think people that keep saying it's a no brainer is silly, since OG PS4s and slims are going to be totally fine for a lot of people and they are substantially cheaper. I have played some games on the pro on a 4K TV and it really didn't wow me enough to want to bother upgrading any time in the near future. I don't think it's illogical to want one if you are buying a new system though. It's also fine to not give a poo poo about the pro because there really isn't that much to get excited about with it currently.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

I bought a slim instead of a pro because of a great slim pack. I also play on a 22"TV and no, I don't plan on getting a better (or bigger). Got a PS4 because of Bloodborne and the extra money between them granted me enough games for a year. Who knows if by the end of this year I'll get one but I enjoy what I got.

If someone can't afford the extra 100$ is stupid as hell to say that said user shouldn't get it at all. I don't mean to sound rude but there are plenty of new users that get a slim and don't say bad things about the pro to say this. Really nothing against you.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 7, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fix posted:

The worst part about Diablo 3 is the first playthrough of the story, unfortunately. Once you can get into torments, rifts, and adventure mode it becomes a much better and harder (if you want it to be) game.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Yeah I mean I get that the PS4 Pro is an objectively better machine and the games look objectively better. Saying it's a waste of time or money to even look at a slim starts to smell like the "if you're not running two of the latest graphics card you're a peasant" elitism that makes the PC gaming community so obnoxious. I always liked that console gaming chat with based entirely around the games because everyone was using the same machine.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair the improvement is rather minimal and you would get that snobbery anyway except using tvs or something.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

FadedReality posted:

Yeah I mean I get that the PS4 Pro is an objectively better machine and the games look objectively better. Saying it's a waste of time or money to even look at a slim starts to smell like the "if you're not running two of the latest graphics card you're a peasant" elitism that makes the PC gaming community so obnoxious. I always liked that console gaming chat with based entirely around the games because everyone was using the same machine.

:agreed: I hate the amount of quibbling about frame rates and resolutions this console generation has spawned.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

FadedReality posted:

Yeah I'm a pro owner and happy about it, but saying a slim is a waste of money sounds like someone hyping themselves up about their purchase post hoc. I kept my original PS4 and play Hitman and TF2 on it regularly. It's totally fine.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The PS4 slim is a good purchase.
The PS4 Pro is also a good purchase. Especially if you have a 4K TV or want to get into PSVR.

Neither one of them is a waste of money.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bloodborne runs at 30fps on both.

That's all I need to know.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

bloodychill posted:

I respect your taste in games a lot and I want to play it but also my dog is pretty sick and probably won't make it to the summer and I don't want to play a game just now where I'm sure I'll get to see that poo poo play out and bawl my eyes out

I hear that. Last spring I had to have our cat put down and for the rest of the week after we put our daughter to bed and things quieted down, my wife and I were pretty miserable. So to occupy my mind I played the FF15 Platinum demo with the Carbuncle leading/following me around, it reminded me of our cat and was saddening when I finished the demo.

Now I play FF15 and am thinking "where the gently caress is my Carbuncle?" (Only on chapter 3 though I'm over 30 hours in... stupid side quests).

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Why are the final fishing side-quests in FFXV so hard?! It's like I need to be psychic in order to know when the fish is going to change direction otherwise I lose about 100 durability on my fishing line. :argh:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is it likely Sony will do a PS4 Pro + Horizon Zero Dawn bundle deal when it releases like they did with UC4?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FireMrshlBill posted:

I hear that. Last spring I had to have our cat put down and for the rest of the week after we put our daughter to bed and things quieted down, my wife and I were pretty miserable. So to occupy my mind I played the FF15 Platinum demo with the Carbuncle leading/following me around, it reminded me of our cat and was saddening when I finished the demo.

Now I play FF15 and am thinking "where the gently caress is my Carbuncle?" (Only on chapter 3 though I'm over 30 hours in... stupid side quests).

Carbuncle is only available on Easy Mode. He appears to auto-rez your party if you happen to get wiped.

TaurusOxford posted:

Why are the final fishing side-quests in FFXV so hard?! It's like I need to be psychic in order to know when the fish is going to change direction otherwise I lose about 100 durability on my fishing line. :argh:

Don't reel, at all, if your controller is vibrating. That's pretty much the only way you can prevent getting huge chunks bitten out of your line's vitality.

Even then it's an uphill battle. I caught one of the top-end fish with literally 2 hp left on my line.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Rastor posted:

The PS4 slim is a good purchase.
The PS4 Pro is also a good purchase. Especially if you have a 4K TV or want to get into PSVR.

Neither one of them is a waste of money.

Yeah this. I also totally understand people with smaller AV setups or who have kids and have to really get the best bang for their buck when it comes to their fun gifts going for a slim bundle instead because it means they can pick up a few more games and also have an extra controller to play games with their kid/partner/etc for less money. Saying that people on a budget shouldn't spend any money on games is stupid and kind of classist. Games are fun and all people should get to enjoy them. Giving people a more affordable option is a good thing, not a bad thing.

And yeah, I have a pro and it's nice so I don't personally regret my purchase. The UI is more responsive and games look and run better (with the huge terrible exception of WoFF). But I am a total DINC so whatever, I have money to burn.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

homeless snail posted:

The worst part about Diablo 3 is the first playthrough of the story, unfortunately. Once you can get into torments, rifts, and adventure mode it becomes a much better and harder (if you want it to be) game.

How long would one have to spend to do that?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fix posted:

All that stuff opens up after you clear the story, so what act are you on?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fix posted:

The story isnt too long. Check hltb.com

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
The Pro will be cooler this time in 12 months.

Until then, I'm a new PS4 owner (Pro) and stuff like UC4 and Ratchet & Clank is giving me a video game boner, so whatever. I just realized UC4 still runs at 30fps and thought it was 60 this whole time.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Amygdala's arm in Bloodborne is giving me a boner :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

TaurusOxford posted:

The Liege of the Lake requires a lot of patience (and as upgraded of a rod/reel* as you can get). Don't reel when he's close to the edges of the area, and if you've managed to get a good full-second reel in you might want to let up early rather than pushing your luck. Every once in a while he'll still trip you up with one of those double-or-triple reversals, just stop reeling immediately. You can actually get a tiny bit of reeling in while the controller is vibrating but there's no tension warning without hurting your durability.

*If you've been to Altissia the best reel can be won in the arena, which is pretty easy to win regularly at once you figure out matchups.