Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective Eyestorm
Jan 6, 2012

Zas posted:

you wouldn't say LoZ sucks cause it doesn't have 8 way run

i would definitely say this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Detective Eyestorm posted:

i would definitely say this

but like what I mean is if you can't make that mental adjustment to more primitive systems you won't be able to enjoy the games on their own terms. which is fine I guess, it just doesn't seem like a fun way to approach old games to me

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

A link to the past is awesome, especially now that I don't have to bring along my GBA to play it

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
LA is better than LttP.

:colbert:

I think most people know this already. Some people may not realize it but intuitively they know. Others just haven't played LA so are clueless.

But once you accept that LA is better than LttP, then the way shines bright and you can see how most of the other Zeldas are better, too.

We aren't comparing LttP to non Zelda games. This is just in the Zeldaverse. And in the Zeldaverse it has aged poorly and is one of the lesser titles as a result.

Note: OoT has aged poorly, as well but is still great because of other reasons. MM has actually aged very well.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Can't believe all these people are making GBS threads up the thread with their garbage opinions. I didn't even play through ALttP until I was like 16 in 2002 and I loved it. It's not the best Zelda game, but by god is it quite a feat for the time and it still holds up pretty drat well. SMW and DKC are the only other SNES games that hold up as well.

Waltzing Along posted:

LA is better than LttP.

This is actually true though.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I'd like a sidescrolling Zelda game with a pop-up book aesthetic.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

Waltzing Along posted:

It truly is.

This is exactly right. A the time, it was great. In comparison to all the other handhelds, other than the two really bad ones, it is bad. And yes, it was a console game, but it is effectively a handheld game now as all console games followed it's design while the next console game was OoT.

Yes. It's a not a good game now.

So stupid, deserves a ban!

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

MokBa posted:

Can't believe all these people are making GBS threads up the thread with their garbage opinions. I didn't even play through ALttP until I was like 16 in 2002 and I loved it. It's not the best Zelda game, but by god is it quite a feat for the time and it still holds up pretty drat well. SMW and DKC are the only other SNES games that hold up as well.

This is actually true though.

never liked it because of the mario references

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MokBa posted:

SMW and DKC are the only other SNES games that hold up as well.

What? Yoshi's Island is better than SMW in every way because it's mechanics are absolutely perfect. SMW ain't go poo poo on YI.

RZA Encryption posted:

This is a good idea

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I want BotW to have ME style sex/relationships. In other words, I want to gently caress a Goron.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Get your rocks off somewhere else.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Waltzing Along posted:

I want BotW to have ME style sex/relationships. In other words, I want to gently caress a Goron.

ooccoo is the true otp

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Waltzing Along posted:

Saints Row did it better.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
How so? I have never played one. Don't you play the POTUS who also is a mafia leader battling aliens? Something like that?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Waltzing Along posted:

How so? I have never played one. Don't you play the POTUS who also is a mafia leader battling aliens? Something like that?

In Saints Row 4 you walk up to people a push a button to romance them immediately.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Waltzing Along posted:

There is an intentional Mass Effect parody mechanic where you can romance every single member of your crew with the push of a button and it is slightly hilarious

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

RZA Encryption posted:

Downthrust the Babadook.

greatn posted:

Get your rocks off somewhere else.
:eyepop:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

LA is better than LttP.

:colbert:

I mean, yeah. It acknowledges this itself. It just won't stop telling you how the compass gained a new function.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

codenameFANGIO posted:

There is an intentional Mass Effect parody mechanic where you can romance every single member of your crew with the push of a button and it is slightly hilarious

It should be noted that it's every member of your crew, regardless of your character's gender. Except Keith David, he's just not interested.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

When I was younger, my attempts at playing Link to the Past ended in failure before I managed to get through Zelda 1 (which, in turn, I couldn't do until I gave myself permission to just follow a map with the exact locations of everything). Something about its loose guidance did not click for me at first. Only after seeing how it evolved from its predecessor did I realize that I needed to respect enemies and make intermediate stops to gather resources based on my own discretion. Once I did that, I was like, "Oh yeah, of course this is great." But I had been conditioned to expect the game to tell me more about what it wanted from me.

The games following Link to the Past were a bit firmer in how they directed the player. For the most part, from Link's Awakening onward, if the player goes from waypoint to waypoint, they'll generally arrive at each challenge pretty well-equipped to deal with it. If you try to do that your first time through Link to the Past, by opening up the world map and saying "Ah, the next number is that one, so I'd better go immediately there," you'll have a hard time. It is balanced so that it's virtually required that you explore the world in order to be strong enough to handle it, but it never invites you to explore it, never gives you trails of breadcrumbs that lead to the most important optional upgrades. You almost feel lucky that the bombable walls are even marked most of the time.

Compared to it, A Link Between Worlds is more structured. The rules that govern the way the game is designed are more consistent and telegraphed more strongly. You can see all the items up front and you know that all of them have upgrades and you learn very quickly what things they can interact with. More of the important upgrades to player power are placed along or near the critical path. You still have to respect enemies, but the biggest combat challenge usually comes from accessing the dungeon, while the interior is more puzzle-focused. It introduces you to more NPCs earlier and more of them foreshadow what sidequest they'll be involved in later. You can put markers on the map and get hints.

Breath of the Wild is looking like it combines A Link Between Worlds, in that it's very open and you're expected to set your own priorities, with Skyward Sword, in that it focuses on very rich interactions with the environment.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Infinitum posted:

After you finish ALttP play Zelda II: The Adventure of Link to really get your poo poo pushed in.

Would you believe I've beaten that?

Used thread advice, I went and emptied my pockets at the potion lady's house. After that I had a crazy lucky run. I even had a fairy pop up after I beat an enemy. I'm still going to be bone crunchingly mad at this game for four more dungeons though, I can feel it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I beat LttP for the first time about 2 years ago (never had a SNES), it quickly became one of my favourite Zelda games. It never felt clunky or old, just a good Zelda game.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

ALttP is insanely epic, my favorite zelda game. I play it every few years and it has definitely aged great.

Kfroog
Nov 9, 2012
A Link to the Past is to the Zelda series what Super Metroid is to the Metroid series, i.e. the best one, because it was made in a time period when Nintendo's level designers really knew how to make this genre in particular work. They had respect for the player and also respect for themselves. They had the confidence to be subtle and trust the player to pick up on it.

Kfroog fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 9, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bean posted:

I'm still going to be bone crunchingly mad at this game for four more dungeons though, I can feel it.

Go for the Ice Dungeon next, it has the half-damage armor.

Actually, I think you can do it as soon as you have the Fire Rod (or Ether) :v:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Super Metroid's good but I don't like its physics or controls as much as the gba games.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
last time i played lttp was probably for the gba

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Motto posted:

Super Metroid's good but I don't like its physics or controls as much as the gba games.

Super Metroid is legit amazing but I'm not big on the controls either.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

Super Metroid is legit amazing but I'm not big on the controls either.

If a remake of Super came out using Zero Mission's engine/controls, I'd eat that poo poo up. (Seriously, the GBA games are so much more playable despite having less buttons to work with.)

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Zonekeeper posted:

If a remake of Super came out using Zero Mission's engine/controls, I'd eat that poo poo up. (Seriously, the GBA games are so much more playable despite having less buttons to work with.)

There is stuff like this:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/405/
...not quite what you're asking for but it does make Super a little more friendly after playing the GBA games.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Kfroog posted:

A Link to the Past is to the Zelda series what Super Metroid is to the Metroid series, i.e. the best one, because it was made in a time period when Nintendo's level designers really knew how to make this genre in particular work. They had respect for the player and also respect for themselves. They had the confidence to be subtle and trust the player to pick up on it.

Ocarina of Time and Metroid Prime are both better games.

You might be able to guess which games I played first from this opinion.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Ocarina of Time and Metroid Prime are both better games.

You might be able to guess which games I played first from this opinion.

I'd agree with you on Prime but Super Metroid doesn't bog you down with unskippable fights like Prime does once the Guardian guys show up. If those weren't in Prime I'd say it's a perfect game but no, they had to make a bunch of rooms where you fight boring, bullet sponge enemies. Don't you get locked in most of the rooms as well?

I think Super Metroid and LTTP are great because you're playing the whole time, once we go into 3D we got a bunch of cutscenes and dialogue because things were trying to be more cinematic and ultimately that stuff just cuts the playtime down. The SNES titles keep you engaged the whole time, and text is minor, it's really great.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
The pinnacle of videogames was whichever one I played first, and after that it was all downhill.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

The pinnacle of videogames was whichever one I played first, and after that it was all downhill.

Super Mario Brothers and The Legend of Zelda are not my favorite of the series despite playing them first.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Pong > everything else

apparently

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Video games were at their best when you were twelve.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man remember that first Christmas you remember when you opened gifts under the tree and you get super Mario Bros 2 and yo-noid

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The pinnacle of videogames was one Christmas in college where I didn't know what to ask my parents for so I just skimmed a Gamerankings list and asked for two games I didn't have yet. I didn't know much about them but they looked alright. They were Thousand Year Door and Resident Evil 4.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bongo Bill posted:

Video games were at their best when you were twelve.

There was so much about videogames at that age that wasn't even about playing them. Like I think back to how much anticipation and obsession there was, and I wonder if all that was stripped away (like nowadays) if it was actually any more fun than I have now. Because these days I'm having a blast. I can actually choose to play the best games, instead of back then when I owned a haphazard collection of stuff and had to roll the dice on rentals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Christmas when I was 12 I got just the game I had been asking for Spider-Man and the X-Men.