Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You could do great things but putting a motor at each front wheel for launches, braking, and cruising efficiency with even a small battery. The cheaper design though is making it a FWD car and use the electric for the rears. Two door fusion here we come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

So I think I'm going to order my mustang tomorrow, assuming that the snow doesn't gently caress me. One final question about the rear gear ratio. I have no intention of racing my car, either at a track on on the highway, I just want a decent compromise between acceleration and MPG. I'd 3.55 still a good number to go with? TIA

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If you don't plan on racing your car or speeding excessively, unless you have a bunch of twisty roads around, acceleration is the only part of the car you'll really get to enjoy, so I wouldn't second-guess yourself in favour of fuel economy.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty much this. It might make a difference in a couple tank fulls a year, but the trade off is worth it.

Don't fear the gear

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm guessing the reduction in highway fuel economy is minimal since 6th gear is so loving long in any case.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Thanks, all.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Even with a 3.73 you won't be pushing 3k in 6th till like 100+mph.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
3.31 and I've downshifted to *3rd* on the freeway once. I was doing... a lot. And trying to catch back up to a pair of GT-PPs after I got cut off during a lane change that they got through.

Have to admit, that was a FUN run back from Tahoe.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
I have 3.73's and they're pretty ridiculous.

I manage to only get 14.5MPG around a military base with a 3.7L.

Still toooootally worth it to roll on the throttle at 35 in second.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

thetechnoloser posted:

:stare: That's a truly impressive lead foot to get that mileage with the 3.7! (That's about what I get with a v8, and I am not a feather touch on the gas either haha)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lol if you don't have a brick to drop on the throttle

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

:stare: That's a truly impressive lead foot to get that mileage with the 3.7! (That's about what I get with a v8, and I am not a feather touch on the gas either haha)

He's on a military base. Gotta show off to all the junior enlisted wives :wink:

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Went in to the local Ford dealer this morning, expecting to order my mustang since I doubted I could find an exact match in stock somewhere.

I was wrong. I got an exact match (ok, to be honest it wasn't 100%, I will have to live with a spoiler) in North Carolina, and it should be here by mid week.

Details: 5.0 GT convertible, magnetic exterior, black interior and lid, no tape/stripes, automatic (I've paid my dues with manual transmissions), 401A equipment group (shaker audio, BLIS and some other stuff), reverse sensing system, 3.55 rear axle, 20" foundry wheels (with all-season tires :reject: ) and the navigation system.

I will post pix when I pick it up.

Things I need to add/upgrade: full set of WeatherTec liners, a new dash cam (the one in my truck is hard wired in, so it stays), an upgraded exhaust (thinking Borla Touring, aggressive without pissing off the neighbors), and I suspect that at least part of the sound system will need to be upgraded - most likely the sub and amp, perhaps the entire system, I'll know more when i hear it.

I'm pretty excited.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

LongSack posted:

Things I need to add/upgrade: full set of WeatherTec liners,
I'm pretty excited.

Congrats, it's gonna be a beast. Shaker audio is surprisingly not poo poo.

FWIW I have the full Weathertech set on my ecoboost and they're pretty nice. Biggest tip I can give you is to unroll them and let them sit for a couple days somewhere, especially if you have a protected outdoor place like a patio or garage to let the smell die down.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 8, 2017

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

H2SO4 posted:

Congrats, it's gonna be a beast. Shaker audio is surprisingly not poo poo.

FWIW I have the full Weathertech set on my ecoboost and they're pretty nice. Biggest tip I can give you is to unroll them and let them sit for a couple days somewhere, especially if you have a protected outdoor place like a patio or garage to let the smell die down.

Good thinking. Don't want to ruin that new car smell!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

thetechnoloser posted:

9000 miles and 14.6MPG with my GT. Good job reaching 14s with a 3.7L. 11.6 was my worst MPG, 22.8 my best. <3 fuelly.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 8, 2017

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
This spring I'll need to replace the OEM tires on my '14 V6. I run snow tires in the wintertime, so I was planning to get summer tires. However, it seems (based on looking at TireRack) that they don't make good tires for the 17" wheels.

I think my long-term plan is to leave the Mustang as a winter car and get something for summer (maybe a newer GT PP), but that's at least one or two summers away. So I was considering just buying 18" wheels, but then I'll have three sets of wheels hanging around and it doesn't seem worth it. Plus, I've been disappointed with its handling anyway; lots of body roll and seems far less stable than the '98 GT I came from, so I'm not sure how much the tires would make a difference anyway.

What do you lot think? Get some decent all-seasons (what are decent all-seasons?) or go for 18"?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
What size are the 17s on newer mustangs? I really liked my cooper zeon rs3-a's for performance summer tires, but my generation was 245-45r17. They seem to have as much grip at 8 inchs than my mickey thompsons do at 10.5 inchs.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

vote_no posted:

This spring I'll need to replace the OEM tires on my '14 V6. I run snow tires in the wintertime, so I was planning to get summer tires. However, it seems (based on looking at TireRack) that they don't make good tires for the 17" wheels.

I think my long-term plan is to leave the Mustang as a winter car and get something for summer (maybe a newer GT PP), but that's at least one or two summers away. So I was considering just buying 18" wheels, but then I'll have three sets of wheels hanging around and it doesn't seem worth it. Plus, I've been disappointed with its handling anyway; lots of body roll and seems far less stable than the '98 GT I came from, so I'm not sure how much the tires would make a difference anyway.

What do you lot think? Get some decent all-seasons (what are decent all-seasons?) or go for 18"?

Sounds like maybe you should do some suspension work?

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

RFC2324 posted:

Sounds like maybe you should do some suspension work?

Maybe, but I think getting a different car is the more cost effective option. I mean, would you buy a V6 Mustang and add $15-20k worth of stuff to it, or would you just buy a GT? If you really would consider the V6 route, then I'm all ears.

edit: Although, really, any improvements wouldn't be worth much for half the year and might even make it worse, so that's another reason to go with multiple vehicles. I also just like the idea of having summer and winter Mustangs.

Cage posted:

What size are the 17s on newer mustangs? I really liked my cooper zeon rs3-a's for performance summer tires, but my generation was 245-45r17. They seem to have as much grip at 8 inchs than my mickey thompsons do at 10.5 inchs.

I believe stock is 225/60R17

vote_no fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 9, 2017

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
235/55R17

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Q_res posted:

235/55R17

Hm, yeah, there's a lot more options at that width. If the size difference isn't going to be a problem, I'll just do that. Thanks!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

215/50/17 is also a common option.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The 5L Coyote V8 for the 2018 F-150 is getting direct injection. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes to the Mustang as well.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mental Hospitality posted:

The 5L Coyote V8 for the 2018 F-150 is getting direct injection. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes to the Mustang as well.

Source? they specifically mention the 3.3 as being direct injection, but simply said the 5.0 is getting significant upgrades.

The bullshit rumors from december said it was going to be replaced with a 4.8 liter direct injection V8 but the first half of that is obviously already wrong.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Powershift posted:

Source? they specifically mention the 3.3 as being direct injection, but simply said the 5.0 is getting significant upgrades.

Surprised me too, but they show and talk about it in this video from the Detroit Auto show.
https://youtu.be/N6_DsqJO87Y
@2:40
You can get a good look at the high pressure pumps and injectors.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Surprised me too, but they show and talk about it in this video from the Detroit Auto show.
https://youtu.be/N6_DsqJO87Y
@2:40
You can get a good look at the high pressure pumps and injectors.

@3:21 - 12:1 compression, too.

the current f-150 is 10.5:1 and the mustangs are 11:1

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
They really are going to squeeze every ounce out of the coyote before they replace it huh.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

It's only been around for 5 years and is a pretty fantastic engine. Why wouldn't they keep it around?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, the 2 valve 4.6 was born in the 1991 town car and died in the 2014 E-series and was never that good of an engine.

the ~400hp 5.0 being everywhere seems like a much better way to do things, and i can't imagine a replacement ever being more powerful.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

LongSack posted:

automatic (I've paid my dues with manual transmissions)

Never apologize for choosing a modern transmission.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I suppose I could have worded it better. I don't expect the coyote to go anywhere I'm just wondering how much more they can improve it over the years(without FI).

edit: Especially if they plan on continuing sales in Europe. With emissions regulations getting serious it must be pretty difficult.

GabbiLB fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 10, 2017

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

frozenphil posted:

8 speed ZF in my Challenger is so good that it made me change my mind about autos being slow and spongy. That and the 6 speed manual FCA offer for it was notchy as gently caress when I am used to Type R gearboxes that are imo the best feeling manuals available.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

Gwaihir posted:

That's worse than I get with my 4.10s!

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Rumor on some sites is that the revised 5.0 will have a combination of direct injection and port injection (keeping some traditional port injection to reduce carbon buildup on the valves.)

http://fordauthority.com/2017/01/fords-coyote-v8-will-remain-a-5-0-not-be-downsized-to-4-8l/

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

frozenphil posted:

Ten speeds is twice as good as 5.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Just going to leave this here...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

That's an extremely good car, even if I don't care for your choice of transmission :v:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

LongSack posted:

Just going to leave this here...

:flashfap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Holy poo poo, that might be the first time I've actually liked Magnetic on this car. That looks loving great.