Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

You could make NV with the new engine but it would be difficult to port

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
NV being a little janky is part of it's charm, but NV in a better engine with all the cut and post game content restored would be something. So long as they kept the same voice acting.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Kumaton posted:

Plus the stuff that Obsidian had to do that was basically considered impossible, like having single-shell reloads for the lever-actions and hunting shotgun, or switchable ammo types. Granted, the Fallout 4 community has already modded those things back in to a degree, but Obsidian would still have to refine it or just start from scratch if the modder won't help. Then there's trying to adapt NV's scores of skill checks into a game system that doesn't have skills to begin with :v:.

Far Harbor does a pretty good job of implementing skill checks in FO4; I doubt there would be too much blowback from using that kind of system instead of NV's system. If you've not played it, it tends to be a mix of SPECIAL stat checks and perk checks, usually with a third option of either caps or materials depending on what the check is.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

2house2fly posted:

A lot of them could probably be turned into perk checks. Going through a list of 70 perks, each with multiple levels that are gated by XP level, seems unwieldy though. You'd have to either make all checks Science Level 1 or guess roughly what level a player might be when they get to X area for the first time so you know how many levels of a perk it's realistic for them to have. It's an incredibly unfriendly system for dialogue checks, which I guess just shows how low a priority that kind of thing is to Bethesda.

With those it would probably be easier to tie those checks to the appropriate attribute rather than try to figure out which specific perks to tie it to.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Solution: level scaling perk checks.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I would've liked 4 so much more if they didn't invent this new, terrible system and it also had RPG elements and also

I just want to play New Vegas again okay

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Leave the skill points to cover boring stuff like stat boosts, and let Perks do the cool poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well, Bethesda just came out and said they aren't doing anymore remasters. Wasn't going to happen for New Vegas anyways, but oh well.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That seems silly considering how ridiculously popular the Skyrim remaster was.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Pete Hines basically said they weren't interested in diverting more resources to remaking old games, and are looking forward.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Ridiculous is the word, who paid money to play Skyrim and decided they wanted to do it again?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nah. SkrimRe was like, no work. Anything else, ie fo3 or oblivion, would be some work. There is no universe fonv would have been anywhere on that list anyway.

Pin your hopes on a fanmade port forward some day.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

2house2fly posted:

Ridiculous is the word, who paid money to play Skyrim and decided they wanted to do it again?

skyrim was ok

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

2house2fly posted:

People seem to be more in love with the idea of Skyrim rather than Skyrim itself.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

2house2fly posted:

I have a friend whose younger brother bought Skyrim for Xbox360, PS4, a physical copy for the PC, and a copy for Steam (when said friend already had it on Steam with family sharing so they also didn't need to buy it again).

No, I don't know why. God only know's if they'll buy the remastered version.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

They probably got the remastered version for free, unless they bought the non-GotY on steam

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

If they are that into it they probably had all the dlc, which also gave the remaster for free on PC,

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Skyrim is fun and cool and it being shallow doesn't really set in for dozens of hours, and the only people who care about that are people like us who've put 300+ hours into New Vegas

I mean I know "heh, why did people buy the fun popular game :smug:" was a rhetorical question but it's still pretty dumb!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's fine that people bought it, I'm just baffled that people bought it twice.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
There's a dude at AGDQ doing New Vegas in 30 minutes starting at about 3:40 pm EST today, if that interests you.

E: Nevermind, they apparently decided to move a bunch of stuff up and did it at 2:14 instead of 3:40, which is kind of a kick in the dick if you're not 24/7 on the stream.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 10, 2017

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006
The quest markers are my real only gripe for this game, especially in interior areas and if there are "optional" objectives. poo poo gets confusing at times. I suppose I've just gotten used to the floating markers and the way the newer games do it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Quest markers for optional objectives at least obfuscate it a bit, I don't like being pointed to the exact millimetre of a quest objective. If the quest just said the area where you need to do or find something that'd be all I need

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Veronica is having some problems today.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Give her a goddamn dress to wear, you monster.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Has anyone extended Signature Armor to companions, or expressly made an equivalent feature for companions?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Malpais Legate posted:

Give her a goddamn dress to wear, you monster.

I did but she wouldn't put it on. Better get a mod.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I did but she wouldn't put it on. Better get a mod.

Was it one of the 2 dresses she'll wear?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nasgate posted:

Was it one of the 2 dresses she'll wear?

It was a white gloves dress, so yes it should have worked. But she just put her regular clothes on instead.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

She generally won't equip the dress if she has anything else with higher DT.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Pretty certain her default armor is better than any of the dresses that work for her quest which is why she'll never put it on. I don't think that ever got changed or fixed outside of using a mod for it.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I think she'll wear Vera Keyes' dress. It's basically battle armor.

But I don't think it counts as a dress for her request.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It sort of half-counts according to the wiki, she gushes about it like the White Glove dress but won't teach you the scribe counter. She also won't wear it because it's got DT2 and her rags have DT6.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Malpais Legate posted:

I think she'll wear Vera Keyes' dress. It's basically battle armor.

But I don't think it counts as a dress for her request.

I got dialogue indicating she was happy about it, but she never put it on. The White Glove formal wear gets the best reaction.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think Vault 11 might be my favorite vault tec experiment in the whole series. 22 and 34 are your standard "horror" vaults, but 11 is just insidious and has brilliant moments of pitch black comedy.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yeah, Vault 11 is my favourite too. Discovering the holotape amongst the skeletons and slowly but surely working your way through that mess and finding out what happened was great.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Vault 11 is one of my favorite things in all of fiction.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It did really help that the voicework in 11 was significantly better than most of the rest of the game. That holotape you find at the beginning does such a great job of setting the mood.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Has anyone watched the movie Moon? I thought of that at the end of Vault 11

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Vault 11 is on the nose reference to Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery." This is one reason why I think that Obsidian stands above other developers. Their principals/former principals have an education and experience beyond games and nerd culture. Sawyer is a history major; Avellone English. George Ziets and Gonzalez get less credit than they deserve, I think, but looking them up their educations are in psychology and English respectively. It really shows in the thought and scope that's evident in all their games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

prometheusbound2 posted:

Vault 11 is on the nose reference to Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery." This is one reason why I think that Obsidian stands above other developers. Their principals/former principals have an education and experience beyond games and nerd culture. Sawyer is a history major; Avellone English. George Ziets and Gonzalez get less credit than they deserve, I think, but looking them up their educations are in psychology and English respectively. It really shows in the thought and scope that's evident in all their games.

That would be Nipton, actually.